Start by marking “Sparked (Metal Bones #1)” as Want to Read:
Sparked (Metal Bones #1)

Sparked

(Metal Bones #1)

They weren't supposed to have feelings.

Metal will Clash

In a not-too-distant future, robots composed of metal for bones, electric cords for veins, and synthetics for skin are now available. For purchase. Eighteen-year-old Vienna Avery’s home is going to change forever, now that her mom purchased a French Chef Robot to cook and reside in their house.

Secrets will Unfold

The
Published December 16th 2015 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sparked, please sign up.
Sheena Snow Omg. You are a savior! Thank you so much. I can't believe I didn't see that after only seeing it 400 times. Thank you! And you are right about the sec…moreOmg. You are a savior! Thank you so much. I can't believe I didn't see that after only seeing it 400 times. Thank you! And you are right about the second note too--assistance for hire to humans. I believe that reads better while still keeping the beat. Again, thank you! My apologies. (less)

Start your review of Sparked (Metal Bones #1)
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)

See this review in its natural environment, Dani Reviews Things.

I received this book for free from Bewitching Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This review pains me a little to write, so I'm going to rip the bandage off and make it quick. Simply put, this story was published too soon. Like a very premature baby, so much of it is underdeveloped and could have done with more editing and a round of proofreading.
Bonnie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I want to start by saying that I originally thought from the blurb that this was a romance novel and that’s why I decided to sign-up for a free ARC in exchange for my honest review. The moment I read the blurb, I began wondering about why and if a robot would be made with a ding-dong. Spoiler: you never find out.

For the first 20% of this novel, I had no idea how old the protagonist was (I noticed later from the original blurb that she is 18). She mentioned professors but she lives with her paren
Cristina
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review posted also on Crazy Beautiful Reads

~Received an ARC in exchange of an honest review.~

Loved it.

Fast paced.Action packed. Mostly Unpredictable.Secrets.Betrayal

The book is well written and the characters are well defined. We have a very determined, charismatic and full of attitude protagonist, that will do anything to keep everyone out of harms way. And a robot squad that will play with your mind all the way through the entire story.

Okay. I am still a bit - okay, a bit more - shocked by ho
mariam
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
* Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. *

" Sometimes it takes certain things, certain events, to make you realize what you forgot—to make you realize what’s important, to make you realize what it is you truly want. ".

Vienna Avery has always hated robots, she constantly feared the fact that she didn't know why the government released them to the public. Now her worst fear has come to her home; her mother has bought a robot chef to stay with them. While trying to fi
Alicia
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, series, arc-reviews
*I recieved a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Where to start? I wanted to like this book. I really did. It just never hit the mark for me.

It has a good base for a story. I like her idea, even where she is going with it. The execution is...not there yet.

To start, the main character is beyond obnoxious. She's extremely self centered. Demanding of others without ever giving anything in return. She kept telling us Vienna was so giving & selfless & this or that but you never see
Diksha
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA lovers
Shelves: safe

Are you tired reading about vampires. werewolves, angels, aliens.... ??
Then this book is for you :D

This was a refreshing read! The hero is half human/robot ! He looks like a human being ! Also he is muscular and has amazing green eyes *wink* :P (what's not to like ;) )
He was very caring and really loved the heroine <3

The heroine was not selfish , a girl who is ready to risk her life and protect a loved one is clearly not selfish to me.

But yeah there were times she was being immature bu
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog: The Writer's Inkwell

It’s not often that I read book descriptions, but this was one of the few times when I did. The book cover immediately caught my attention and when I read the description I was really intrigued. But no matter how good the cover is or how interesting the description may be, this book failed to be worth the time I spent trying to read it.

I hate to put it like that, because I felt there was a lot of potential here. But honestly, halfway through the
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

The first in the series, SPARKED starts off with a bang. Vienna is anti-robots. She is also girl with mommy issues. Vienna is the only one who possesses no artistic talent like the rest of her mother's family. When her famous mother brings home a robot to be their new French Chef, Vienna is not happy. Within a few days, her world turns into a freaking nightmare. Robots talk and feel. Not only that, but a faction of them want Vienna for nefarious purposes.

The characters in this story are inte
Luucy
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
You can find this review on my blog: https://makingdaysbetter.wordpress.co...

I liked Vienna a lot, she was sweet,kind with everyone and a really cool friend :D . However, sometimes she was kinda selfish and childish in the way she saw the problems and reacted to them. But is true that she grows a lot throughout the book. What I liked the most about her was that she would realise how many people loved and worry about her. <3

Alec is a protective, intelligent and real guy/robot. He’s real because h
Charity
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For full review please go to: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Arianna, age 13 years, 1 month

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book was intense and had me interested at the opening line!

My favorite character is Bonnie because she is so happy and optimistic, even after she lost those that she loved.

My favorite part is when Bonnie shares what happened to her because Vienna and her share a warm/heartfelt sisterly moment.
Jean
Apr 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not exactly sure what I just finished reading. That book was a major hot mess. The basic premise has a lot of potential. The idea of robots having feelings, a secret government operation, and the heroine falling in love with the robot. However, it was poorly executed.

There is a lot of detail missing from this book. We have no clue what Vienna's big problem is with robots other than they aren't human and potentially take away jobs. Which is a logical argument but nothing that others wouldn't
Booknista
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you liked Twilight, you'll like Sparked by Sheena Snow.

I LOVED Twilight. It was one of the original YA series that got me hooked and I still look back on it with fond memories. This is a more modern Twilight type book, no vamps. We have robots. Hot. Perfect. Robots.
This is Sheena’s first book. It’s a really unique concept. The government is creating robots that look and feel like humans. They have special skills and can be bought to perform specific tasks, like cooking, or chauffeuring a car,
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
+Received a copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Kathy!

I received a copy thanks to Kathy at Ebooks for Review in exchange for an honest review. The summary sounded interesting and I like the futuristic version of humans and human-like robots living together.

THE WORLD: In the near future the Government (of US of course) has been working on producing human-like robots without public knowledge. However, one day robots escape and the Government is forced to recognize what they've don
megan
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
*2.5 stars*

I had such a love-hate relationship with this book the entirety of reading it. It's one of those books, like John Green's is for me, where I like the idea of the book but the execution of it just wasn't there. I love that it's written about robots and that's something pretty unique among the young adult sci-fi genre. I've personally only read one other YA book with robots in it and that one just didn't do it for me either. Bottom line for this one is that I just wanted more. More fee
Sam
Dec 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I wanted to give this book a good score. This is my first book I have gotten for free in exchange for a review and I wanted to love it. Sadly I cannot say that I did.
The first half of the book was at least interesting. It was kind of like McDonald's chicken nuggets, addicting even though it doesn't really taste good. During the first half of the book, I read obsessively, even though I didn't understand what was happening half of the time and I never really liked the main character. Mainly I was
Aldii - perfectioninbooks
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is a fantastic sci-fi YA, easy to read and full of action and romance.

The Writing:
I loved how this was written. It was easy to read and really fast paced. I read the 317 pages in one day. Its all in Vienna's POV however I would love to read a short-not-so-short story/POV from Alec. Towards the end of the book there are these chapters that are one page or less, with words, if you read this book (which you totally should) you will see, were great and refreshing from the long-we-are-used-to ch
Arkham Reviews
Jan 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was intrigued by the premise of this story - a Twilight-style romance with robots - but I found myself disappointed on almost every level. It's not the ideas behind this story that are problematic but it's entirely the execution. The entire novel just feels like a first draft. Issues ranged from continuity errors (Robotatouille was sometimes a French chef and sometimes Italian), to repetition (Snow describes the hair and eye colour of every character) to just generally confused writing.

It's a
Crystal
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to read Sparked as soon as I saw the description. The book sounded right up my alley of things I liked to read, and Snow does not disappoint. Sparked had me enthralled from the very beginning, and I had no intention of stopping till I finished.

Vienna is right to think something was strange with the government basically selling its precious secret. That's just how it goes in books. I found her rage at robots somewhat funny at first, but relatable. I would be feeling just as she d
Ibukun
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sparked is one of the very few books that have left me with mixed feelings; and not in a completely bad way…

Vienna doesn’t like robots, and so when her mum buys a chef-robot, things start to look bad. When she starts to feel like she’s being watched, and it becomes clear that some of these robots have feelings, everything goes downhill from there. Vienna is in danger; and Alec, the person who has taken it upon himself to help her, is a robot.

Vi
Erika
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Overall I really enjoyed the concept of the story but it seems to me Sheena Snow’s editing team let her down overlooking some errors.
A few examples:
“… French cruise chef…” I believe it should have been “French Cuisine Chef”.
“…robot’s hallow eyes…” I believe it should have been “hollow”.
“…the scene enfolded…” I believe it should have been “unfolded”.
“…scrimmaged through my backpack…” I believe it should have been “rummaged”.
At one point a character’s eyes were described as 3 different colours
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sparked is about a time when robots are used in the everyday workplace and you can buy them for your home. They even
look human. The government also has a secret agenda and they kidnap people. The girl of the story is targeted to be
kidnapped but is rescued by their house robot but finds out he is really part of a unit of secret robots sent to save her. She is
sent off with other robots for her safety. She has no love for robots prior to this but gets to understand and see that these
robots have
Karen
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book introduces you to Vienna Avery - she does not trust robots in the least; it does not come as a surprise that she doesn't approve of her mother's hiring a robot chef. Monitoring and research do not prepare her for the events to come.

With Sparked, Sheena Snow has created a quite different science fiction novel. It starts as a compelling read, made me chuckle among the way, drew me in as I learned more about Vienna and her entourage. A turn of events and the accelerated pace after about t
Sophie Martin
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5
This book was different, not your typical dystopian/ ya/ sci-fi. I loved the plot and the characters, but I didn’t really connect to Vienna. The book was fast paced, and I mean very fast paced, making it sort of difficult to get to know Vienna. She adapted almost too quickly at some points, and the book just seemed to keep going, never pausing to let something sink in. Some parts were very confusing because one second she’s fine and the next she’s in some cell that we have no clue abo
Lakisha Spletzer
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
The reason I chose this read was because of the blurb. It looked like it would be a good sci-fi story and I always like reading about robots that search/want to be human (you can thank Star Trek's Data for that).

I wanted to like this one, really I did. And there were moments that were good. But so many were not. The confusing POV, the internal stream of Vienna's thoughts which were a jumbled mess, and the constant shifting of locations gave me whiplash.

Character development was uneven though I f
T.
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-beta-prize
I received Sparked as an ARC (advance reader's copy) book from the author. The gifting did not determine the review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion. This little gem surprised me with some unexpected depth-- of course, as a YA read, it also had it's eye-roll moments of teen drama, but for the most part, I enjoyed this story-line. My surprise was for the insights into robots and AI; at what point do the robots become 'human'? What are the consequences? The story ended abruptly, but it was ...more
S.L. Saboviec
Nov 02, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF 25%
I no longer post negative reviews. Please PM me for details.
Heidi J.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eighteen-year-old Vienna Avery’s life is irrevocably changed in this YA Sci-Fi Romance when her mom introduces a surprisingly hot new robot chef into their family’s home. Vienna distrusts him at once, and as events unfold, discovers her online activity as part of the robot resistance has made her a target. On the run, she discovers Alec Cypher is capable of so much more than she thought, including real emotion. To uncover the government’s secret plans, she will have to take sides and join the ro ...more
P.M.
Apr 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Is it possible to give negative stars? This was abysmal writing and word choice.
Stephanie Rose
Apr 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Ugh. You really need to warn a girl before you trick her into reading Twilight fan fiction.
D. Domain
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die Hard fans only.
Shelves: reviewed
My Impressions: Great premise…Robots with feelings walking among us, with a hidden agenda. Very interesting. Also, the hint of some government conspiracy, oohh. Robots and Humans…in emotional relationships. I could dig it.

World-Building: Not much world-building here, but then again, the world that the author is writing within is not that different from the real world. Just add robots and shake to activate, so to speak. This is not a bad thing. The book is, after all, listed as a “light” Sci-fi.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dangerous Lies
  • Angels Fall
  • Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford #1)
  • Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17)
  • Chill Factor
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • The Escape Room
  • Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)