Start by marking “Piper Perish” as Want to Read:
Piper Perish

Piper Perish

(Piper Perish #1)

Piper Perish inhales air and exhales art. The sooner she and her best friends can get out of Houston and into art school in New York City, the better. It's been Piper's dream her whole life, and now that senior year is halfway over, she's never felt more ready. But in the final months before graduation, things are weird with her friends and stressful with three different g ...more
416 pages
Published March 7th 2017 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Piper Perish, please sign up.
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,085 books — 8,420 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 587 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill
Feb 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dnf
Ok I'm sorry I really tried. DNF @ 42%. It is very very rare that I DNF a book, so I have some things to say aha. I don't mean to be so harsh but, like I said, it takes a lot for me to DNF a book...

**Rant Ahead**

This ARC is seriously stunning and the concept sounding so great and promising. But, unfortunately, this book. Drove. Me. Insane. Oh dear god. The cliches in this book were ridiculous. I'm not even go into that one. It was completely unrealistic. I WANTED TO PUNCH
Suzanne
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piper Perish is a character you cannot help but root for!

This book moved way more than I thought it would. I was expecting an entertaining read about an artist in peril, but instead I got engrossed in a story that felt so real. This is a story of the REALISTIC ups and downs in family and friendship. By the end of the final chapter (month) of this book I actually felt in the back of my eyes some joyful stinging. The story is captivating and even empowering.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself this morning
Taylor Knight
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I loved the synopsis for Piper Perish. It sounded really fun and the cover is beautiful so I was pumped. I was super excited. I was ready to read a cute, fun YA contemporary. However, this book was a massive disappointment.

First off, I wasn't super into the writing style. It was written in a diary-like format but it was so over detailed, it would have been better if it was just written normally.

Okay. So. I hated the main character. She was very whiny, ungrateful, pretentious, immatu
Morris
“Piper Perish” is the perfect book for the kids who are creative and ponder life’s big questions. It’s also great for the adults who once were those kids and probably are still the same as adults. I really wish there would have been a book like this when I was in middle and high school. Highly recommended!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Koen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Piper Perish is an interesting book. The cover is gorgeous and lines up well with the content of the book. Simply this book is about the last year of high school of Piper Perish, an artist trying to get into a prestigious art school in NYC.

The writing style is very whimsical. It kind of jumps in time often, the text is basically little pieces of Piper's thoughts before we move to another point in time. It made for pretty easy reading but at the same time it annoyed me sometimes when we skipp
Alexa

Piper Perish is for a younger audience.

I'd recommend Piper Perish to young teens. Teens that yet to graduate high school or have recently graduated from high school. It could be very relatable to those going through what Piper is going though, the final stretch of high school and graduation. To me, the story felt very juvenile and I obviously have more insight and understanding of what Piper didn't understand, which I read in boredom (but I'd like to say, I love reading YA contemporary and not
Sherwood Smith
A couple of lovely quotes:

And:
And:
Ivie
This review contains minor spoilers.

All the stars to Ms. Adams, the wise art teacher.

But, that's the only reason I rated it even two stars because this was trashy.

It had potential because it was coming from the point of view of a girl who was dumped pretty publicly because her boyfriend came out as gay. And I was kind of interested to see how that worked out. Like any breakup, I thought she would be heartbroken and angry. (Not angry that he was gay, but angry because he d
Amanda
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piper Perish was an extremely fun read! The book is written diary style, and each day is random, loud and full of emotions. And also I enjoyed the little sneak peaks of art thrown in some entries. Our main character Piper, is an artist who has a dream of going to college in NYC. She spends her free time hanging out with her two best friends, Enzo and Kit either sketching the day away drinking coffee or thrift shopping. Now I myself was a photography major in college and had to take numerous art ...more
Billie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
With the exceptions of Kit and Phillip (and maybe Silas, though he was just an e-mail presence), I pretty much hated all of the characters. I should have stopped reading as soon as I realized this, but kept hoping something would happen that would redeem someone, even if it wasn't Piper herself. And, while I appreciate Andy Warhol, Piper's obsession with him was really, really annoying and pretentious and the whole book was pretty much just...ugh.

ETA: I got to thinking more about this book a
Sara Grochowski
One of the best contemporary YA novels I've read in years. Kayla Cagan is an author to watch.
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This is going to be kind of a ranty review because spoiler alert: I hated it. Maybe part of it is an age thing. Some parts of it may appeal to younger audiences because while I could relate to some things, most of the book just annoyed me. This book is told through Piper's journal entries. Interesting choice for a narrative style, but it ensured that we only got things from Piper's POV. The problem with Piper was tha
Kayla
I really wanted to like this book. Not just because I've had a great record with loving YA novels published by Chronicle Books. Not just because I share a fantastic first name with the author. It sounded so interesting, like nothing I'd ever read before. Unfortunately, there were more frustrations in this novel than anything else, and it left me with nothing unique to hold onto. It's the kind of book where the plot will grow fuzzy a few days from now.

Piper Perish is about just that:
The Blonde Bookworm
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Little Miss Perish is one of the coolest characters I have ever come to meet in a novel. She is talented, cool, quirky and fun. I found myself hoping I could’ve been cool enough to hang with her in high school. Cagan creates such realistic high school experience for the reader. The story is written like a journal, and Piper’s voice is so genuine and real. It is exactly how you would imagine a senior in high school to write about her daily feelings.

Throughout the story, Cagan introduces the read
Nicole Dieker
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Piper Perish is a thoughtful, passionate, and page-turning story about a group of young artists who are stretching the boundaries of "what art means" as they simultaneously stretch the boundaries of their own lives.

I should start by saying that author Kayla Cagan is a friend of mine, and also that I got an advance copy. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here's a short (and non-exhaustive) list of what I loved about Piper Perish:

1. Piper's voice. She cares so much about her w
Trisha
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate that I didn't love this one - but in January, I was already pretty sure I wouldn't love it.

I think this is a case of a reader and a book - just not destined to get a long. I found the story boring - I keep trying to imagine what I would tell someone the plot is and I think I'll go with "dysfunctional family and the few months before college." I just don't think anything stands out here. Told is a kind of journal format, each "chapter" section is broken out by Month. The story
Leila Howland
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Fast, fresh, intense, raw, & real. This book has all the feels! Relatable characters and an urgent plot make it hard to put down. And the illustrations are amazing!
Bella
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I tried so very hard to enjoy this book. What drew me to it was, for starters, the cover art. Very colorful. And unusual title. Then, naturally, the synopsis.

In my case I am a former art student. Seeing what the synopsis was about I couldn't help but be excited about something surrounding an art student who was shipping off to be a big time change on the art world.

Or so I thought. I couldn't get that far because of the hard time I had with this book.

In most cases when an author decides to fea
S.E. Anderson
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that I liked from the first page, and then quickly went downhill when I realized there wasn't much more to say.

The characters were weirdly flat. Piper, for example, can be defined by her love of art and her obsession with Andy Warhol... an obsession that is confusing, as if it only exists to say "this girl loves art. Here is an example of how much" without adding any depth to her character. There are so many of these "Look! Here's what an art lover would do
Kaitlin
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this book was a miss for me. The synopsis made me really excited but to be honest that excitement died quickly.

I did not like the characters one bit. Maybe it is because this book is written in diary format so we only get one side of the story. I honestly don’t know. I LOVE first person but I felt like the diary format kind of killed this book. Piper’s personality also got on my nerves a lot. I’m sorry but if I don’t like the main character then the book is just going
Caroline
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
ugh! so much love for this crazy dramatic, crazy beautiful, crazy relatable story. Piper's voice is so strong, and i adored being surrounded by her world of art and her friends. full review up here! :)
CeeMarie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the description and the cover of this from the start, and I had high expectations based on some of the really great contemporary YA that I have read over the last couple of years. But unfortunately this book did not live up to my expectations.

It had cliche, stereotypical teenagers with the teenage artist who is, of course, obsessed with Andy Warhol. They were unrelatable and the conflict and relationships were so disjointed and seemed out of place at times. The NY storyline and emails t
Sascha
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2

I’ve got to admit that I am all over the place regarding Kayla Cagan’s Piper Perish. For the most part, I enjoyed the story of Piper who aspires to be the next Andy Warhol. She sounds like a typical high school student, although a very talented one, dreaming of a perfect future.

The novel is written in diary form, but breaks that at times to include emails, etc. As such, the style is very conversational.

read more: https://saschadarlington.me/2017/09/2...
Shreya
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I have to say, this book was over the top. It managed to make me hate every single one of the characters in under 50%. The cover is gorgeous but don't let that fool you. The main character's voice irritated me down to my bones. So pretentious. So snotty. Marli, her sister and who was supposed to be the main villain, was even worse. She was just horrible, not a complicated or round character at all. Both consistently made bad choices, and did not improve or learn any lessons. Gah. Even writing ab ...more
Brittbiba
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ready for Art Boss!
Abby
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at the bookstore randomly because of the cover and it was really enjoyable! It was so different from other books I've read recently and the journal-style writing made it a fast read!
PunkRockLibrarian
ARC for consideration and review.

I love this book!!

The family dysfunction, the friendships, the bf/gf relationships, THE ART, the terror of not knowing what's next...totally relatable, but at the same time unique.

Well done, Kayla!
Kelly
A fun slice-of-life diary-style book about a girl who wants to get out of Houston and onto life as an artist in New York City. But more than that, it's about friendship, romance, and the struggles that happen in a family. Nothing especially deep and a tiny bit too long, but it's an enjoyable, easy read with mega appeal to readers who love books by authors like Amy Spalding and Kody Keplinger.

Kristin
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
ORIGINAL POST: http://www.nerdprobs.com/books/book-r...

**A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

A debut novel by an author always gives me chills because you have no existing knowledge of their writing style and it's a clean slate to build an opinion on. Piper Perish is the story of Piper (obviously) as she navigates the complicated channels of high school. Not just your regular teenager, Piper is an artist with immense talent and individual style a
Cynthia
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coming-of-age
2/5

So... this was disappointing.
I was very excited to read this book! Art+books= totally my thing!
But this book wasn't.
The bond between the Perish sisters seemed very unrealistic! Like someone on here also said, they seemed to hate each other for no reason! Marli, the sister suddenly yells at Piper and Piper yells back and then cries a couple of pages later.
The parents also seemed to have a clear preference for their daughter Piper, which I found odd. Yes, Marli wa
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sewing Stories: Harriet Powers' Journey from Slave to Artist
  • Mikis and the Donkey
  • The Elephant Whisperer (Young Readers Adaptation): My Life with the Herd in the African Wild
  • Step Right Up: How Doc and Jim Key Taught the World about Kindness
  • Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
  • We Regret to Inform You
  • Blooming at the Texas Sunrise Motel
  • A Small Madness
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Alice on Board (Alice, #24)
  • Ansel Adams in Color
  • The Inconceivable Life of Quinn
  • Blue Plate Special
  • Strange New World (Brave New Girl, #2)
  • Prodigal
  • Dramatically Ever After (Ever After, #2)
  • Going Over
  • Love, Love Me Do
“I love painting. I love drawing. I’m never let down, even when the picture isn’t exactly what I want. I can keep working on it. Paintings speak back. They argue. But it’s just because they still want attention. They aren’t done yet.

They want to keep the relationships alive. And when they break your heart, it’s only because they’re that good, not because they’re bad. Bad art can be fixed or transformed. But bad people? Bad choices? I think they’re with us forever.”
0 likes
“Verliefd worden moet je eigenlijk met je ogen dicht doen". - Andy Warhol

Helemaal mee eens. Dan hoef je degene die je leven heeft verwoest niet steeds voor je te zien.”
0 likes