Start by marking “Rick Steves' London 2004 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' London 2004 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)

Rick Steves' London 2004 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)

Travel guru Rick Steves' opinionated guide to London includes coverage of the best sights and activities, friendly places to eat and sleep, self-guided tours through the historic sites, suggested day plans and trip itineraries.
Published December 1st 2003 by Avalon Travel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' London 2004, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' London 2004

Ann
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, london, travel
London is massive and can feel overwhelming, but Rick Steves made it easy. I love the details he adds into his guides, like the information on a hidden rocketship carved into the American Memorial Chapel's panels at St. Paul's Cathedral. His practical hints save time and money, and I'd never travel in Europe without one of his guides.
Beth
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Rick Steves guide that I've read and, just like his Paris guide, this book goes beyond the usual sights, restaurant & hotel recommendations, to give the reader helpful practical tips for such matters as using your smartphone in London, or tipping different service providers, etc. This guide is particularly helpful for an inexperienced traveler.
carl  theaker
I do like Rick Steve's guides, yet sometimes his attitude can get a
bit annoying, like why would you want to see Big Ben? it's just an
over sized tick tock clock you simple, ignorant, tourist idiot!

My library had a 2011 version, so this being 2014, it's a bit dated,
still, good for research.
Rachel
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves is dorky, but his guide books leave you incredibly prepared and well-informed. He gives you a ridiculous amount of helpful information in his usual chipper demeanor.
Blue
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steve's London 2014 is a guidebook that is specifically for the American tourist. I wasn't really aware of this (my fault, probably) when I got it before my trip to London. Although I would imagine this would be a negative, it actually made the reading a lot more fun. At times, it was rather comical, the things one has to tell Americans, in case they do not know, like having to pack a passport or what a "civilization" means. Hilarious! So one can say that this book is thorough, in the sense ...more
Melissa
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steve's books are great. Great tips on where to eat, sleep, sight see. We have planned both of our trips to Europe using his books!

He has trip plans for the number of days you plan to stay - for every attraction he tells you how long you should expect it to take. He tells you exactly where the highlights of a museum are located so you can skip the stuff you don't want to see. Around every attraction, he lists a perfect place to grab lunch or a cup of coffee. He suggests great places to stay
Jessica
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going to London soon
Shelves: non-fiction
This author is very good! He tells you straight up what sites are worth the time and money, and which are basically tourist traps. It's easy to find the information you're looking for and even some that you didn't know you would need!

We used this book's suggested route inside the British Museum when we only had 2 1/2 hours to see everything before it closed. It was great! I felt like we got to see some very important artifacts and while we were running through several rooms, I still enjoyed the
Andrew
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travellers to London, England
I carried this book the entire time during my trip to London. While this may not be the most comprehensive guide, it offered the whirlwind traveller some pretty good foot walking tours as well as the 'best bits' guide to popular museums.

Handy and recommended.
Teri Peterson
Helpful in getting an overview of neighborhoods and big sights. Amusing little puns and funny lines make reading a guidebook fun (because who just sits and reads a guidebook? Apparently me. But still.).
Kelsey
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the 2017 version and loved it. Helped me plan my trip in just a couple days. I feel like I have a good grasp on what to expect and plan for once my vacation begins. Will definitely read Rick Steves whenever I head to Europe.
Holly
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the 2016 version of this guide book. When you plan a trip to London this book is essential. It is full of good tips and tricks. And also full of general advice of what attractions to see, and good places to eat at.
Rob Peters
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent knowledge of this great city. Worth the price.
Erik
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick’s guide to the heart of the former British Empire is singularly one of his best guidebooks out there. Then again, he’s been updating and republishing this one for more or less two decades, in some form or another. It’s got almost everything: maps of both the west and east ends of London, a current Underground map (although you can get one for free at most tube stations), self-guided tours of the major museums (British, Tate British, National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery, and others), ...more
Rashaan
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, he's geeky, and yes, he's awkwardly funny, but Rick Steves loves Europe and he shares his passion with thoughtful advice and surprisingly biting, sarcastic humor, and truth. His suggestions are more than useful, they're worldly wise.

For the great behemoth of London's museums, overwhelming warehouses of the world's civilizations, he urges readers to spend the extra three or four pounds and get the audio tour. This is sage advice when you have over a million artifacts to gape at and a thousa
Jeff
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After numerous recommendations, I thought this would be the best source when planning for my trip to London. When I got to London, I found a completely different city experience than the one described in the book. London is a huge sprawling metropolitan city that requires transportation between many of the places most people would want to visit. (The Tube is very easy to use!) There is no single 'sight seeing district', there are places of interest miles apart from one another.

Then there's the f
Terri Lynn
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
Yet another good Rick Steves travel guide. This one focuses on one of my favorite cities in the world- London. As usual, I suggest totally ignoring his "where to stay" recommendations except for Number Sixteen which is located at 16 Sumner Place in South Kensington which is a good neighborhood. He recommends many cheap dumps I wouldn't be caught dead in because his standards for accommodations is far below mine.

He does much better with food recommendations. As a tea-holic, I love it that he inc
Jenny
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I found Rick Steves's Mediterranean Ports book so informative, I went with his guides for my Eurotrip this year as well. Planned on spending a week in London, so I opted for his city-specific guide. The guide does include info on day trips from London too.

This guide was very helpful. Everything was categorized by neighborhood so that helped with planning my itinerary. And there were some great recommendations. For instance, he recommended buying Tower of London tickets from Trader's Gate n
Ryan
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typically, I prefer Lonely Planet guidebooks, but unfortunately LP makes obnoxious and unusable city guidebooks, in my opinion. (Their country-specific guidebooks are the best.) On a recent trip to London, I extensively used this Rick Steves guidebook as my main source of information, and I was really happy with my choice.

Like his PBS show, this guidebook was packed with dorky puns and earnest charm, with advice generally targeted toward budget-minded baby boomers. Despite being in my twenties,
The Badger
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick forgot the chapter about the in-your-face racism (I even witnessed a group of Muslim women get accosted by a group of British women at a Harrods restaurant; the Brit women simply went up to their table and started screaming at them to go home and that "we should bomb you all"), abuse towards homeless (I saw a security guard push a homeless woman down a set of department store stairs--when I yelled for someone to call for an ambulance I was told that, "She's not a customer"), the absolute ru ...more
Maria
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
20150708 ◊ Rick Steves is in sloppy love with London, and it shines through this travel guide. Out of all the RS guides I've used so far (London, Spain, Italy), this one is the best. Solid traveling tips, great recommendations. I was going to write that it could use some more off-the-beaten-path recommendations, but then I realized that if Rick Steves wrote about them, more people would visit them, and the path would soon become beaten. Instead, I'll recommend Secret London: an Unusual Guide, by ...more
Lisa
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a nice read if you're planning a trip (or deciding whether London is worth a trip, even). Steves and his team give insight into the common tourist traps and some off-the-beaten path places you might not have put on your list. I generally eschew dogearing book pages, but my copy now has several pages marked for our trip for quick reference. Nice size format, too: slim & rectangular to fit in a cargo pocket or a side pocket of a backpack for carrying.
Beatrice
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick gives succinct summaries of the main attractions to see, while providing smart and witty commentary on these great sights. There is one misleading fact in the book regarding the proximity of the Downton estate (Downton Abbey) from Windsor, although the two sights are near each other I believe it takes around an hour in travel time. Overall great for reference and general knowledge on London's gems.
Mark
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
I loved this guide to London, which was very helpful in planning our recent trip. Helping us to identify key priorities and understand critical information, this accessible guide book, with easy to read descriptions made a difference for us. Rick Steve's portrays travel for everyday people on a budget in a very helpful way. I highly recommend his books to Europe.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great assistance in planning my upcoming Paris/London trip. I liked how there are itineraries to follow depending on the length of time you are spending, and how each separate area is broken down. That allowed me to plan each of my days maximizing my time.

I would definitely recommend this book to anybody traveling to London.
Tanya
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, travel
I used this book to plan a week with my husband and kids in London. I know the city quite well, so I was really just looking for something to help me put together a good itinerary. This was perfect. We did several of Rick Steve's walks in the city, as well as using his British Museum and V&A tour. I'll definitely use his guides for European cities in the future.
Paul Dinger
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't recommend this book enough. It literally was my guide thru London. I didn't use a map, but this book. There I was plodding the streets of London and this book helped me find all the great galleries from the National Portrait Gallery to the Tate and the underground Winston Churchill musuem. I still have it and will use it when I go again.
Heather
Rick excels at summing up history and dumbing down art, as well as helping you plan strategies for conquering a giant city. I would have liked "estimated visit time" for each attraction...I would have been able to double (or triple) it for museums. =) Worth a read, but don't be surprised if a favorite destination is left out entirely (William Morris Gallery, anyone?)
Am Y
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good guide. Examples of info in the book include: 1) Ways to save money on train tickets, 2) Time needed for day trips from London and detailed instructions on how to get there, 3) Admission prices for tourist attractions, 4) Suggested routes and itineraries for different city walks.
Tanya
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Rick Steves books are generally very helpful to prioritize what to see. for London I did not feel that I got a huge advantage of reading this vs. Googling. I felt that the information was comparable, not a ton of insider tips. and restaurants keep changing quickly in London.
Caitlin Meisenbach
Used the kindle version. Being able to search was really nice; the formatting wasn't perfect.

DEFINITELY download some of the free walking tour podcasts that he does to go with this. The one for the British Museum was especially nice.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fodor's London 2012
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Top 10 London (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Turkey
  • Europe on a Shoestring
  • Paris
  • World's Best Travel Experiences: 400 Extraordinary Places
  • Southeast Asia on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Germany
  • Hawaii (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • New Zealand
  • Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook
  • Top 10 Paris (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Italy
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • World Heritage Sites: A Complete Guide to 890 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
  • France
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
“Churchill War Rooms: £18, daily 9:30-18:00, last entry one hour before closing.” 0 likes
“Six in 10 Brits call themselves Christian (half of those are Anglican), but in any given week, more Londoners visit a mosque than an Anglican church.” 0 likes