Start by marking “Merry Mary” as Want to Read:
Merry Mary

Merry Mary (Scottie's Adventures #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,109 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
A young woman longing for a child stumbles upon a Christmas miracle.

Investigative journalist Scottie Darden is photographing the homeless for her Lost Souls series when she makes a discovery that could change her life forever. Under a makeshift tent in subzero temperatures in a downtown city park, she finds a woman's dead body with her infant child. Without her cell phone
Paperback, First, 96 pages
Published October 15th 2015 by Leisure Time Books

To ask other readers questions about Merry Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Mary

Rbeey
Once aagain that Special time of Season is rapidly coming upon us.Ooh my !how time flys.
Yeppp..Christmas! For my reading pleasure I've purchased my own Pre-Christmas gift..((giggle))! Hey by all means a gal can Never over treat herself.
((yayy me:)!! I've grasped ,held closely 2my heart this Dear loveable but most Exqusite
reading Gem . A gem that's Excellently Crafted with some rather amazing jar dropping usual twists &turns
A series of some unfortunate events n the given name: Merry Mary.
A
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
In Merry Mary, Scottie is a photo journalist facing some tough decisions. I enjoyed reading this snapshot in time of her life, and I was thrilled to read at the end of the book that Ashley Farley is working on a full length novel featuring Scottie that is due out in 2016. This was a quick read and well-written. I also enjoyed the Richmond, VA location for the setting. I look forward to reading what Farley does next with Scottie.
☕ Kimberly
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merry Mary delivered a believable story allowing us to connect with Scottie. While we might condone her actions, as the story unfolds we certainly understand her motives and feel her internal struggle. It highlights human connections and the power of love between a child and a mother, a brother and a sister. It portrays the way family willing protects those they love. Farley does a great job of sharing Scottie's mindset, her volatile marriage and the hardships she has endured. As events unfolded ...more
Michelle
Scottie Darden has struggled with her lack of ability to have children, with far too much loss under her belt, finding the infant in the arms of a dead mother, she acts before she can think. Her own Christmas miracle.

As Scottie battles with the right and wrong of her actions, she learns some hard truths and even if Mary isn’t hers to keep – she’s not leaving empty or alone.

This novella is not something I’d typically read, but felt like I needed a different story to break up some of the emotional
Christine
After having one miscarriage and one stillbirth Scottie Darden is throwing herself into her work to stave off the emptiness she feels from the empty nursery at home. Working on “Lost Souls”, a photo project featuring homeless people – she hopes it will help establish her career as a photojournalist – she is offering some hot food and coffee to her homeless photo subjects when she discovers a young girl dead in her tent. In her arms lies a crying baby girl. As soon as Scottie announces the death, ...more
Paula  Phillips
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenn
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been described as a "heartwarming story of the powerful connection between a caring soul and an innocent child in need". Ok, it's that, kind of. But what struck me was a look at the difference between best intentions and the "right" thing to do - sometimes, they are one and the same.

And sometimes, with the best intentions, things can go to hell in a hand basket in short order.

I hate summarizing in a review, because y'all know what the book is about based on the summary. I'm not going to
Book Bite Reviews
I love the title and the cover of this holiday novella. The story consists of a biological clock and a catch-22 situation.

After rescuing a baby from the cold, Scottie Darden considers what would happen to Merry Mary if left in foster care or worse; with her supposedly alcoholic grandparents? On the other hand could she be arrested for kidnapping?

Under the assumption she was doing the right thing Scottie Darden takes the baby home with her. She always wanted a child of her own but to hear things
Rhonda
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this book from NetGalley. I liked this story. The woman in conflict and the events it takes for her to see things in a new light after a devastating loss was written well. The message at Christmas was very good. Sometimes things or people that we get aren't for us but we are for them to find a meaning at Christmas. Most life decisions are difficult but once they are made and we can relax when we know it was right. Tough decisions cause conflict and in this story it was interesting to se ...more
Cheryl Fockler
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merry Mary is another heartfelt story by newcomer Ashley Farley, this one a novella. When a photojournalist comes across a baby quite by accident while being a good Samaritin, it opens up a host of questions about life choices she didn't know she was ready to make. Ashley has such an ability to quickly develop her characters in a way that you know them immediately and fell empathy for their situations. I hope she will continue this novella into a deeper story so we'll know more about what happen ...more
Lesley
nice heartwarming story for the holiday season!
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Originally posted on my blog: The Writer's Inkwell
I am notorious for not reading book description when I pick up a new read and sometimes, like this book, it's a great thing. I feel the description would have given away too much of the premise of the book and by going in with no knowledge of what to expect, I was able to appreciate Scottie's situation better.

Though she never truly admits it, Scottie's life is fairly miserable at the beginning of this book. She's suffered a miscarriage and then a
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
You know how you pick up a book and you immediately have ideas of what the book is going to be about and how things are going to play out? I had thoughts of what I would get picking up Merry Mary. Turns out, Merry Mary wasn’t exactly the Christmas story I expected it to be. I expected a feel good story with references to God and miracles. I expected to be wrapped in the spirit of Christmas and feel God’s grace. Perhaps it’s a little unfair of me to expect that, but that’s what I’ve gotten from a ...more
Aoife
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, kindle, novella
I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

Scottie doesn't know what to do when she discovers the body of a dead homeless woman early one morning while on a photography project. All she does now is that she has to get the woman's crying infant to safety.Soon Scottie finds herself in predicament, does she hand over the baby to the police to be put in a care home, or does she secretly keep the baby for herself?

I'm not sure if
Yaritza
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won this book from GoodReads. Received today and couldn't put book down until I finished. It was such a touching story. I was so worried for what could happened to Scottie when the cops find out she had the baby. I loved how her family were there to help her make the right decision. This is a story that will touch your heart and make you teary eyed. It a story with a conflict of protecting a baby and doing what she felt was right for the baby to come to realization that the baby did have grandpa ...more
Jessica
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In An Oyster Shell- Mental is terrifying and riveting. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested on seeing first hand experience the turmoil of mental illness and the joy of recovery.

The Pearls –

This book starts out set in a mental hospital, with a girl that is resigned to be there. A contemporary novel at it’s best dealing with one of the most prevalent issues we face today, mental illness. The concept was interesting and you could tell from the beginning this story came from the autho
Katlynn Parsons
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recieved this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting when I started this book. The idea of a Christmas miracle, made it seem like a permanent 'solution' to Scottie's longing for a child.

As the book went on, I began to understand that it is not so much about actually having a child, but the growth that Scottie experiences through this process.

Lovely Christmas novella.
Michele Grant
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
heartwarming novella

Looking for a feel good, moving short story then please read Merry Mary. Scottie seemingly has an enviable life, privledged upbringing, nice home , all except a child to love. She is still recovering frim a stillborn birth when fate places an orphan into her hands. Follow Scottie through the short time she realizes her wants and needs are not as important as those of a helpless infant.
wanda webb
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right is might and always the best road to travel.

Another of Ashley's books that speaks to your heart. Scottie decides to do the right thing even though her heart wanted the other direction. Great read for the holiday season, or any time of year. Short read great for an afternoon cuddled up with a warm throw and a culpa. Enjoy!!!!
Lorraine
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt story that you won't put down until finished

I read this one late night on vacation. It was beautifully written with a great leading character. she showed character and extraordinary strength in a terrible situation. The humanitarianism of Scottie and her compassion to help the homeless was beautifully portrayed in this book.
MaryAnn Quellos
What would you of done?

This is the type of book that makes you wonder what you would of done if you were in her shoes and the s with a tions she wen t thru. She made the c right decision for herself and for the baby. Y out should never believe the bad in people before meeting them and forming your own opinion.
Nancy Smith
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Good Book

A very good book. It held my attention, it was believable story it could really happen. Also if you really want a baby you would do all most anything to get one. I would recommend it to most women.
susan korich
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

This book isn't what I expected. The concept had me a bit confused but the outcome justified the means. Broken and desperate people sometimes do broken and desperate things. Logic sometimes prevails, as in this story.
Margaret
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting

As always this author keeps you entertained. I enjoyed this book because it opened my heart to memories buried deep. Good memories long forgotten, how it feels to hold a newborn child, the little sounds they make. Nice book, I enjoyed it.
Zia Bia
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

Such a sweet and heart warming book. It even had some suspense. I love the relationship the main character had with her family. Omg such beautifully written story. Would totally recommend.😍😍
Penni Nelson
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merry Mary was very very good.

I love Ashley Farley's books. She is down to earth with her stories. I love her characters. I really loved the brother / sister relationship Scottie and Will have. I can't wait to read book 2 in this series.
Tonia
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my third Ashley Farley book in less than two weeks and because I loved this one so much I've stated reading the second book in Scottie's adventure series. This is a sweet and heatwarming story that flows well.
Mary Byrnes
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This was a great short holiday story for a chilly winter afternoon read. I recommend it to anyone who loves Christmas stories.
Claudia (CJ)
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
So glad I found this book, heart melting and hard to put down. Will be looking for more by this new to me author!
Thomas Havens
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merry mary

This book has an easy to follow plot and interesting characters.. I recommend this book to all lovers of contemporary, women's novels.
  • Dante's Gift
  • The Night Before (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall Series)
  • A Wild Ride: The Adventures of Misty & Moxie Wyoming (Girl Detective & Her Horse Mystery Story Ages 6-8 & 9-12)
  • Twisted Sisters (The Orion Circle #2)
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Here They Lie (The Bloodstone Legacy, #1)
  • St. Nick
  • Next Door to a Star
  • Finding the Baby Jesus
  • Once Upon a Baby: A Tale of Adoption
  • Mid-Century Mayhem (Retro Romance Presents: Time Travel By Design, #1)
  • See You Soon Broadway (Broadway, #1)
  • The Enchanted Rose
  • Frozen
  • Luke's Tale
  • Catch That Santa

Ashley Farley writes books about women for women. Her characters are mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives facing real-life issues. Her goal is to keep you turning the pages until the wee hours of the morning. If her story stays with you long after you've read the last word, then she's done her job.

After her brother died in 1999 of an accidental overdose, she turned to writing as a way of re
More about Ashley Farley

Scottie's Adventures (2 books)
  • Breaking the Story (Scottie's Adventures, #1)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)