Start by marking “Merry Mary” as Want to Read:
Merry Mary

Merry Mary (Scottie's Adventures 0.5)

A young woman longing for a child stumbles upon a Christmas miracle.

Investigative journalist Scottie Darden is photographing the homeless for her Lost Souls series when she makes a discovery that could change her life forever. Under a makeshift tent in subzero temperatures in a downtown city park, she finds a woman's dead body with her infant child. Without her cell phone
Paperback, First, 96 pages
Published October 15th 2015 by Leisure Time Books

To ask other readers questions about Merry Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Mary

Rbeey
Once aagain that Special time of Season is rapidly coming upon us.Ooh my !how time flys.
Yeppp..Christmas! For my reading pleasure I've purchased my own Pre-Christmas gift..((giggle))! Hey by all means a gal can Never over treat herself.
((yayy me:)!! I've grasped ,held closely 2my heart this Dear loveable but most Exqusite
reading Gem . A gem that's Excellently Crafted with some rather amazing jar dropping usual twists &turns
A series of some unfortunate events n the given name: Merry Mary.
A
Kimberly
Aug 19, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merry Mary delivered a believable story allowing us to connect with Scottie. While we might condone her actions, as the story unfolds we certainly understand her motives and feel her internal struggle. It highlights human connections and the power of love between a child and a mother, a brother and a sister. It portrays the way family willing protects those they love. Farley does a great job of sharing Scottie's mindset, her volatile marriage and the hardships she has endured. As events unfolded ...more
Michelle
Scottie Darden has struggled with her lack of ability to have children, with far too much loss under her belt, finding the infant in the arms of a dead mother, she acts before she can think. Her own Christmas miracle.

As Scottie battles with the right and wrong of her actions, she learns some hard truths and even if Mary isn’t hers to keep – she’s not leaving empty or alone.

This novella is not something I’d typically read, but felt like I needed a different story to break up some of the emotional
Christine
After having one miscarriage and one stillbirth Scottie Darden is throwing herself into her work to stave off the emptiness she feels from the empty nursery at home. Working on “Lost Souls”, a photo project featuring homeless people – she hopes it will help establish her career as a photojournalist – she is offering some hot food and coffee to her homeless photo subjects when she discovers a young girl dead in her tent. In her arms lies a crying baby girl. As soon as Scottie announces the death, ...more
Paula  Phillips
Oct 02, 2015 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oct 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been described as a "heartwarming story of the powerful connection between a caring soul and an innocent child in need". Ok, it's that, kind of. But what struck me was a look at the difference between best intentions and the "right" thing to do - sometimes, they are one and the same.

And sometimes, with the best intentions, things can go to hell in a hand basket in short order.

I hate summarizing in a review, because y'all know what the book is about based on the summary. I'm not going to
Book Bite Reviews
I love the title and the cover of this holiday novella. The story consists of a biological clock and a catch-22 situation.

After rescuing a baby from the cold, Scottie Darden considers what would happen to Merry Mary if left in foster care or worse; with her supposedly alcoholic grandparents? On the other hand could she be arrested for kidnapping?

Under the assumption she was doing the right thing Scottie Darden takes the baby home with her. She always wanted a child of her own but to hear things
Rhonda
Sep 12, 2015 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this book from NetGalley. I liked this story. The woman in conflict and the events it takes for her to see things in a new light after a devastating loss was written well. The message at Christmas was very good. Sometimes things or people that we get aren't for us but we are for them to find a meaning at Christmas. Most life decisions are difficult but once they are made and we can relax when we know it was right. Tough decisions cause conflict and in this story it was interesting to se ...more
Cheryl Fockler
Oct 16, 2015 Cheryl Fockler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merry Mary is another heartfelt story by newcomer Ashley Farley, this one a novella. When a photojournalist comes across a baby quite by accident while being a good Samaritin, it opens up a host of questions about life choices she didn't know she was ready to make. Ashley has such an ability to quickly develop her characters in a way that you know them immediately and fell empathy for their situations. I hope she will continue this novella into a deeper story so we'll know more about what happen ...more
Lesley
nice heartwarming story for the holiday season!
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Originally posted on my blog: The Writer's Inkwell
I am notorious for not reading book description when I pick up a new read and sometimes, like this book, it's a great thing. I feel the description would have given away too much of the premise of the book and by going in with no knowledge of what to expect, I was able to appreciate Scottie's situation better.

Though she never truly admits it, Scottie's life is fairly miserable at the beginning of this book. She's suffered a miscarriage and then a
Aoife
Dec 15, 2015 Aoife rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, adult, kindle
I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

Scottie doesn't know what to do when she discovers the body of a dead homeless woman early one morning while on a photography project. All she does now is that she has to get the woman's crying infant to safety.Soon Scottie finds herself in predicament, does she hand over the baby to the police to be put in a care home, or does she secretly keep the baby for herself?

I'm not sure if
Yaritza
Sep 23, 2015 Yaritza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won this book from GoodReads. Received today and couldn't put book down until I finished. It was such a touching story. I was so worried for what could happened to Scottie when the cops find out she had the baby. I loved how her family were there to help her make the right decision. This is a story that will touch your heart and make you teary eyed. It a story with a conflict of protecting a baby and doing what she felt was right for the baby to come to realization that the baby did have grandpa ...more
Katlynn Parsons
Mar 27, 2016 Katlynn Parsons rated it really liked it
I recieved this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting when I started this book. The idea of a Christmas miracle, made it seem like a permanent 'solution' to Scottie's longing for a child.

As the book went on, I began to understand that it is not so much about actually having a child, but the growth that Scottie experiences through this process.

Lovely Christmas novella.
Oct 15, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Merry Mary, Scottie is a photo journalist facing some tough decisions. I enjoyed reading this snapshot in time of her life, and I was thrilled to read at the end of the book that Ashley Farley is working on a full length novel featuring Scottie that is due out in 2016. This was a quick read and well-written. I also enjoyed the Richmond, VA location for the setting. I look forward to reading what Farley does next with Scottie.
Michele Grant
Dec 26, 2016 Michele Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
heartwarming novella

Looking for a feel good, moving short story then please read Merry Mary. Scottie seemingly has an enviable life, privledged upbringing, nice home , all except a child to love. She is still recovering frim a stillborn birth when fate places an orphan into her hands. Follow Scottie through the short time she realizes her wants and needs are not as important as those of a helpless infant.
Claudia (CJ)
Jan 09, 2017 Claudia (CJ) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
So glad I found this book, heart melting and hard to put down. Will be looking for more by this new to me author!
JoJo
Dec 13, 2015 JoJo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Scottie is a photojournalist who stumbles across a baby and a dead mother while photographing homeless people in her area. She left her cell phone at home, so she takes the crying baby home with her to feed and keep warm until they discover the homeless mother's body. Merry Mary is about Scottie and the baby, who she named Merry Mary, and their time together.

This book make me cringe, roll my eyes, and experience other expressions of annoyance. The main character, Scottie, is basically a brat who
Gmr
Nov 08, 2015 Gmr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our leading lady, Scottie is a tough yet tender soul that we see bared from the start. The way she feels for, cares for, and aims to share her experiences with "the Five" is heart warming. When faced with dire straits most unexpected, she does what she does best....reacts with her whole heart and worries about the consequences later. In this case, a tiny child is the "object" of much worry. Inadvertently abandoned, she has no hope of survival unless someone comes to her aid. That earthbound ange ...more
Neena Christianson Martin
Christmas miracle--Not

You feed the homeless, you take pictures for a gallery showing, you take home a baby from a homeless dead girl, and you blame it all on stress when you decide to keep the baby and not go to the authorities. I just couldn't buy into it.
Corinne
Dec 28, 2016 Corinne rated it really liked it
This was a short novel that grabbed my attention from the first page. It was easy to identify with the main character and to get caught up in her dilemma. This was a quick read but most enjoyable especially so for the holiday season.
Melissa
Rating: 3.5/5

I was sent a copy of Merry Mary by Ashley Foley from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

At only 92 pages, Merry Mary was a quick read and a great way to start off my Christmas reading for the season. This is the first book I have read by Ashley Foley, but upon reading her biography I realised that I also have her book Her Sister’s Shoes on my TBR.

Merry Mary has a touch of suspense and is written in a style that is reminiscent of one of my favourite authors
Carla
Nov 16, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was touching in so many ways. I felt connected to Scottie in so many ways, having struggled myself with infertility as well as loss from miscarriages. It has changed how I relate to others, pregnancy and even myself. It leaves you feeling lonely and angry. You lash at people you don’t want or mean to. You hope so badly for good news, to only be repeatedly let down. I can only begin to imagine the thoughts that went through Scottie’s mind as she took that child home. The protectiveness ...more
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
You know how you pick up a book and you immediately have ideas of what the book is going to be about and how things are going to play out? I had thoughts of what I would get picking up Merry Mary. Turns out, Merry Mary wasn’t exactly the Christmas story I expected it to be. I expected a feel good story with references to God and miracles. I expected to be wrapped in the spirit of Christmas and feel God’s grace. Perhaps it’s a little unfair of me to expect that, but that’s what I’ve gotten from a ...more
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Very heartwarming, touching story! This was written in such a way that just made it so believable. It wasn't sensational or over the top, it seemed real to me. I could see this really happening today. A woman just wanting to do the right thing and in the moment - makes a decision (what she believes is the right decision) that changes her life.

The character development was great. I really did feel for Scottie. I knew what was in her heart and her head. I could just feel the love, want, need, and
Kate
Mar 09, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok
When Scottie discovered a body of a homeless woman one morning when she's working on a photography shoot she has no idea what to do, but she feels she has to rescue the corpse's crying infant and get it to safety. Scottie then struggles with the urge to secretly keep the baby instead of handing it to the Police or Social Services.

When Scottie failed to call the Police immediately after finding the body I felt a little confused, surely that's the first thing a rational person would do? The story
Susan (The Book Bag)
I love reading Christmas stories. I just recently discovered Ashley and loved her novel, Her Sister's Shoes. I was so excited to see that she had written a story for Christmas. I knew I was in for a treat!

Merry Mary is the perfect story for this time of year. It's a beautiful tale of a woman who only wants to do what she feels in her heart; to love and cherish a helpless little baby. But at what cost? Will she have to run away and leave everything and everyone she loves, just to protect the litt
Tanya Vought
Dec 15, 2015 Tanya Vought rated it really liked it
I won this book via Goodreads Giveaway and I was thrilled to have won because I truly enjoyed this holiday novella.

This is the first time I've read a book by this author and it won't be my last. If you are looking for a light, well written book filled with inspiration and hope- you'll love this story. Merry Mary is a blessing for Scottie and I loved how she took care of her... even when she wasn't her own.

Let me just say.. Brad.... ugh.. I wanted to smack him. He wasn't a nice man or husband to
Smitha
Sep 20, 2015 Smitha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scottie, a journalist, while photographing the homeless, comes across a dead woman with a baby in her arms. Making a split second decision, decides to take the baby home with her.

That decision takes her on a journey, questioning the rights and wrongs of things, of whether the right intentions are enough. When do right intentions clash with the right thing to do. Can someone be condoned for picking up a motherless baby, even if that action might have saved the baby's life.

The short novella rais
Jessica
Aug 23, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In An Oyster Shell- Mental is terrifying and riveting. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested on seeing first hand experience the turmoil of mental illness and the joy of recovery.

The Pearls –

This book starts out set in a mental hospital, with a girl that is resigned to be there. A contemporary novel at it’s best dealing with one of the most prevalent issues we face today, mental illness. The concept was interesting and you could tell from the beginning this story came from the autho
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dante's Gift
  • The Night Before (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall Series)
  • A Wild Ride: The Adventures of Misty & Moxie Wyoming (Girl Detective & Her Horse Mystery Story Ages 6-8 & 9-12)
  • Twisted Sisters (The Orion Circle #2)
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Promises to Keep (Sabrina Vaughn #3)
  • Here They Lie (The Bloodstone Legacy, #1)
  • St. Nick
  • Next Door to a Star
  • Finding the Baby Jesus
  • Once Upon a Baby: A Tale of Adoption
  • Mid-Century Mayhem (Retro Romance Presents: Time Travel By Design, #1)
  • See You Soon Broadway (Broadway, #1)
  • The Enchanted Rose
  • Frozen
  • Luke's Tale
  • Catch That Santa

Ashley Farley writes books about women for women. Her characters are mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives facing real-life issues. Her goal is to keep you turning the pages until the wee hours of the morning. If her story stays with you long after you've read the last word, then she's done her job.

After her brother died in 1999 of an accidental overdose, she turned to writing as a way of re
More about Ashley Farley...

Scottie's Adventures (2 books)
  • Breaking the Story (Scottie's Adventures, #1)