Start by marking “100 Years, 100 Stories” as Want to Read:
100 Years, 100 Stories

George Burns

100 Years, 100 Stories

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
"I can't put each of you in my will..." says George Burns in this priceless gift to his fans--100 of his favorite stories, from events in his life to tales about buddies Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, and of course, Gracie.
Hardcover, Large Print, 199 pages
Published June 1st 1996 by Wheeler Publishing (first published January 26th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Years, 100 Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Years, 100 Stories

Zoe
Somehow this book became gold for me at work. As a youngster I despised George Burns and his brand of cheap sexist humor, but now I see his material through a "Mad Men" anthropological lens. Thanks to my grandfather and father who were Borscht Belt comedians, I can even do the accents and correct timing of the punch lines. I find that I can read aloud from this book to almost anyone over 75, and they will laugh. Even people who do not normally laugh. Some people laugh so much they start coughing ...more
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lol
An amusing little collection of stories and jokes from George Burns. I think some of them were true, but with his style of humor, it is not always possible to tell. Lots of Hollywood history in here. If you like George Burns, you'll like this book. If you don't, you won't. If you don't know who George Burns is, you are young and probably don't read non-electric books anyway.
Kelly
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny little book. I think it resembles the current Chicken Soup books with the theme being his life. As I read all the names in the stories it reminded me of Forest Gump. He knew a lot of people over the years and it sounds like they were all characters. I guess I should have expected it.
Liberty
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reading
With the exception of Jack Benny (who is in a category of his own), there are few comedians like George Burns. Timeless humor and brilliant wit. This book of short anecdotes from his life is simply put, funny. The type of "funny" where you can read the same story 2, 3, or 4 times and still laugh riotously each time. He gives a fascinating look into the Vaudeville and Hollywood era of comedy, without any of the cheap tabloid "tell-all" feeling you get with so many of the other auto and biographic ...more
Debra Pawlak
This was a really quick read. The stories were all short and, for the most part, entertaining. George Burns knew pretty much everyone in show business and his wit remains funny even now. Not sure how many of his tales were actually true, but they made me smile and laugh--something we all need every now and then. This is the third book, I've read by him and I must say that I enjoyed the other two much more. So glad that George Burns left us some written material. It would be a shame if all of his ...more
Allegra
If you're a fan, you will definitely get some good laughs. The book is a collection of 1- to 3-page stories from his very full life. Reading, I could hear George regaling his audience as from a stage, or maybe Johnny's couch. The book also provides some historical tidbits about vaudeville, the Marxes, Jack Benny, and, of course, his beloved Gracie.
FYI, With books like this, I don't read more than a couple of stories at a time (good for subway platforms); I find it ups the impact of each. If you
Mornblade Keltoislave
A wonderful collection of stories/jokes from George Burns about himself, Gracie, and their friends over the years. While reading the book you can almost hear Burns' voice, as the stories are written with his particular comedic delivery. It's a very easy read as well, as all of the stories are pretty short. And just to show that Burns hadn't lost his edge upon reaching 100 years old, the preface and author's notes are written just as well as the rest of the book.
Trevor
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I expected more. These stories are barely anecdotes.

Disappointing.
Lisa Proulx
I liked him but this book wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. It was pretty old timey and vaudeville like and I don't find much humor in that but hey, he lived to 100 years old and was a great talent and legend! :)
Jay
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book of 1 to 3 page anecdotal stories. I've always loved George Burns, though he was about 66 when I was born. If your older, or a fan of early television and movies, or vaudeville, you'll really enjoy this book. If you're not, but like funny stories, you'll probably still enjoy it.
Jenna
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I love George Burns, but some how I was expecting more from this. Some stories made me giggle out loud, some just fell flat -- I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. Worth reading if you're a fan of Burns and entertainers from his time. (And for the record, my favorite stories are 58, 64, and 79.)
Autumn
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. I had forgotten how much I like Mr. Burns. Not all of the stories were great. Most of them were good, though. This book was a quick, entertaining read. It was easy reading.
Tim
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George Burns was a truly remarkable man and entertainer. Stories like these should be taught in history.
Ken
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Delightful!
Jane
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobody like him ---
Karin
Short, choppy, like old-school stand up comedy. No surprises there.
Colleen Venable
One of the things my grandpa left for me when he passed away because if there's one thing I love it's an old man who can make me smile.
Ben
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very humorous vignettes.
Susan
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and fun, esp. if you remember the Burns & Allen show, Jack Benny & entertainers from that era. Yes, I know, I'm dating myself...but I don't remember vaudeville!
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, memoir, non-fiction
George recalls 100 humourous events in his life. I laughed out loud several times. Quick read and light-hearted.
Kathie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and entertaining. A quick read for a summer day. Lots of funny stories.
Nora
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories of years that are fading away in the memories of the newer generation. An quick & fun read. His last book.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
The preface to the book is signed "George Burns, November 1995". The book title is "100 Years 100 Stories." George Burns turned 100 on Jan 20, 1996. He passed away two months later on March 9, 1996.
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of his stories were funny but some seemed kinda pointless.
Trey Lusk
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is George burns at his best, just all his great stories in one place
Joe Libby
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just reread this book. It's full of funny and charming anecdotes from a showbiz legend. Definitely worth reading for fans of an bygone era of comedy.
Jeannie
You can hear him tell these stories as you read it.
Nana
  • Child of Satan, Child of God
  • Speedbumps: Flooring it Through Hollywood
  • Book
  • No Applause--Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous
  • The Hollywood Book of Death: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of More than 125 American Movie and TV Idols
  • Weimar Germany: Promise and Tragedy
  • The Season: A Candid Look at Broadway
  • I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things That Strike Me as Funny
  • Cloris: My Autobiography
  • All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar
George Burns, born Nathan Birnbaum, was an American comedian, actor, and writer.

His career spanned vaudeville, film, radio, and television, with and without his wife, Gracie Allen. His arched eyebrow and cigar smoke punctuation became familiar trademarks for over three quarters of a century. He enjoyed a career resurrection that began at age 79 and ended shortly before his death at 100.

More about George Burns...