Start by marking “Mickey” as Want to Read:
Mickey

Mickey

"[Chelsea Martin's] deceptively relaxed prose perfectly captures the Facebook-guzzling void that constitutes modern heartbreak. Fav."—Lena Dunham

After breaking up with her boyfriend Mickey, a young woman struggles to situate her life and her art, and reach her estranged mother. Told in a series of vignettes, Mickey is one young woman’s journey to figuring out life (or not
Published August 9th 2016 by Curbside Splendor Publishing (first published July 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mickey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mickey

Start your review of Mickey
Kevin
Holy shit! This here is a special book, people. Chelsea Martin's best book yet in fact. Mickey is a novella-length meditation on the struggles with making art, keeping love, keeping a home, and trying to connect with your disinterested mom. It's smart, heartbreaking, and deeply--unsettlingly--funny. It's like the Chelsea Martin you loved before X 1000. This shit is amplified! My favorite book of the year so far. ...more
jenni
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Total shite. Do not see how anyone can praise this impenetrable and trite vignette-style book and take their assertions seriously. Hapless and emotionally unsound narrator makes quarter-hearted (not even HALF, jeez) decisions concerning her sexual and emotional relationships because she apparently wants to suffer for her art, I guess.
Megalion
Neurotic narcissist who doesn't know who she is. That's who is the first person narrative is in this book.

And it's tiring.

I had thought it a different kind of girl deals with breakup story. I'm surprised I made it to 60% on my Kindle given my dislike of self obsessed characters who are at times aware of the negative impact they have on others yet selfishly feel justified in inflicting it.

Thank you to the publisher for this free copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Karly
Jan 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lena Dunham loved this book. Next time I won't ignore such a red flag. ...more
Kathleen
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
My review for the Chicago Tribune:

If novelist Jean Rhys had lived into the age of social media, then she might have written a book like "Mickey," the funny, depressive, and semi-stream-of-consciousness new novella by Chelsea Martin.

For a book that is largely about the loneliness of a life lived through the distancing mediation of technology, Mickey is an arrestingly immediate and personal work. The experience is less like that of reading a traditional narrative, and more like flipping through t
Aaron Burch
"You can tell when I'm going through something emotionally taxing because I will act very natural and unaffected." ...more
Vincent Scarpa
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My interview with Chelsea, about MICKEY, on Electric Lit:

Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was written in that sort of droll, flat affect that seems to be so ~trendy these days (it sort of reminded me of Problems or So Sad Today), which sometimes seems hard to have a lot of feelings towards/about? Like, a bunch of things happen in a row, and they're recounted in a bunch of deceptively simple vignettes. Still, I think I loved it. I laughed out loud multiple times, and annoyed my poor roommates & girlfriend by insisting on reading aloud a bunch of the best lines. I kept saying ...more
Kimberly Wilson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you're looking for a portrayal of a stereotype millenial artist, this book nails it. It's filled with navel gazing sarcastic self-loathing but even more other-loathing and I did not look away. The self-absorption is staggering. It's at times very clever and funny, but in a Twitter sort of way. ...more
Mary
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book, which is about a lot more than a girl going through a breakup.

I started dog-earing pages at 73 because I couldn't stand it any longer and now pages 73-end are all dog-eared: "Anything can be humiliating, but sometimes I think that making art is a uniquely humiliating experience."

I have thought this so many times.

I'm sorry it's over.
Ben
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All Splendor and Mickey. It changed my life.
Kevin Maloney
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chelsea Martin is one of 4 or 5 writers alive today that I consider a wizard.
Maggie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I read this book, I found myself trying to decide whether I liked it or not. Whether I did or did not, it seemed like more of a reflection on me than of the novel. Is the main character as terrible and self-centered as she seems? Is she hiding something profound and sad? Is it any less profound if she is aware of it?

And does that excuse her general sh*ttyness?

I can't remember ever reading a book where every other page felt like something my best friend would say to me at an adult sleepover wh
Jay Day
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing & relatable(especially for ppl in their mid 20's-early 30's). Def something I'd recommend to all of my traditionally non-reading homies due to its simple and accessible insights that show us that we aren't the only ones doing what we thought we were the only ones doing--"I thought I was just weird". Some girl named Lena Dunham is a fan of hers too if that matters at all.

“Anything can be humiliating, but sometimes I think that making art is a uniquely humiliating experience."
Stef
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A novel of vignettes telling the story of a breakup with the eponymous Mickey and the protagonist's estrangement from her mother. This is interspersed with reflections and the struggles of being a young adult and an artist who fails to keep a day job, while grappling with feelings of isolation and lack of self-worth.

For some readers this might be seen as an indulgent read but I found it funny and moving.
Aria
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
i like when books include reviews by lena dunham so i kind of know what i’m getting into. i actually really hate this whiny, self-absorbed millennial style of writing/characterization but i think that makes me a traitor to my generation.
Angella d'Avignon
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laughed out loud at many points, rolled my eyes or furrowed my brow the rest—most likely because I recognized my 20-something self and I had forgotten how mundane having low self esteem was. I enjoy Chelsea’s voice but I don’t miss my 20s!
Emily
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The writing evokes feelings I've had before more than the actual events that evoked those feelings, and it's also pretty funny. Highly recommend as a quick read, especially if you are a person who has trouble connecting to people, or whose attachment style is definitely not secure. ...more
Anna
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book.
Jasmin Aviva Sandelson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Drily hilarious doesn’t begin to capture how brilliantly this book conveys the awkwardness and absurdity of being alive.
Sydney
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smart, funny, completely original. Loved this book.
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
If you are a self-obsessed, self-destructive person, like myself, you will really like this book.
Ryan Bradford
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super funny and compelling. A little disjointed at times, but it's juggling big ideas and striking poignant connections, which is really admirable for such a tiny book. ...more
Nikki
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bought, ww
Cleverness wrapped in more cleverness then sprinkled with emotional poignancy that dissolves upon contact
Faith Geiger
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
modern, sad, funny, lonely
Andrew
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some background about me as a precursor for this review: I read MICKEY over the course of one night, and I recently graduated from university and up until recently was unemployed.

MICKEY is Chelsea Martin's first full-fledged novel in that there is an overarching plot with established themes which permeate throughout the work, whereas her other titles consist of vignettes or poetry. That being said, those who have ever tried making relationships work while balancing their aspirations, especially
Jen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK.

This book (a series of vignettes about a millenial artist breaking up with her boyfriend and trying to sort out her life) was tremendously funny. If you enjoy the writing in the better episodes of HBO's GIRLS, you will love this book. You also might like this if you're a fan of Allie Brosh. I devoured it in a day (it was basically barnacled onto me because I couldn't put it down) and will be looking to read more by Chelsea Martin and from Curbside Splendor press.
Rose
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

I haven’t read anything else quite like this. Really nice vignettes that are funny, relatable, and a bit tragic. The dialogue and interactions were reflective of real relationships and how hard it can be to really connect with someone else or to even feel fully connected to your own life. I did wish that there was a bit more, maybe some resolution with her mother, but it’s probably more realistic that there isn’t any resolution.
Kristina
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-books
I received an arc copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway.

At first I had a hard time getting past the writing style, but as I got further into the book I came to appreciate it as an an expression of the narrator's personality.

I was more intrigued by the relationship between the narrator and her mother than the boyfriend and would have loved to see that in more depth.

The ending was a bit anti-climatic but overall a very good read. While not necessarily a feel good novel it definitely evoked s
Matt Lewis
In Mickey, a novella from Chelsea Martin, a portrait of a narrator is painted as someone lost, swimming in the midst of a curiously unfulfilling life...

Read the rest here: https://electricliterature.com/in-mic...
pretty incredible right? 1 4 Dec 06, 2016 01:44PM

• Made for Love
  • Play It As It Lays
  • True Story
  • In the Dream House
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • I'll Tell You in Person