Start by marking “Cold Blood, Hot Sea (Mara Tusconi Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold Blood, Hot Sea (Mara Tusconi Mystery #1)

Cold Blood, Hot Sea

(Mara Tusconi Mystery #1)

"Charlene D'Avanzo is a marine ecologist who has written a first crime novel that makes her scientific specialty exciting… The central character, Mara Tusconi, is a Maine oceanographer who thinks there's something fishy (pardon the pun) about the death of a colleague on board a research ship."
THE TORONTO STAR

"When it comes to research vessels, labs and scientific protoc
Published June 7th 2016 by Torrey House Press (first published May 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Blood, Hot Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Blood, Hot Sea

Kathleen Gray
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well done mystery that uses climate change as a base but never becomes polemical. Mara is a very likeable character. D'Avanzo has clearly used her personal knowledge of sea kayaking and oceanography to write this novel, which is a good way to educate those of us who aren't familiar with either. Thanks to Edelweiss for the ARC- I'm looking forward to the next installment in this series. You will like this if you like mysteries with smart women and you like to learn something new. Good job!
Sue King
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A very entertaining read about an oceanographer working in Maine. Suspenseful and a quick read. The author was a professor at Hampshire College, where I currently work, which is how I discovered this book.
C.T. Collier
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: campus-mysteries
An environmental educator and researcher, author D’Avanzo specializes in marine ecology. Her 2016 academic mystery, Cold Blood Hot Sea, throws the reader into the contentious field of environmental research, including scientific fraud and sabotage. At the book’s heart is a smart resourceful warm-hearted woman scholar, Dr. Mara Tusconi, who teaches and does research at the Maine Oceanographic Institution, surrounded by eager students and ambitious colleagues. Every twist of this page turner revea ...more
Michelle
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed and I recommend this lovely mystery. I like strong female leads and a book where you feel like you learn about a new industry while you enjoy a mystery. Having lived in Maine before I enjoyed all the references to Maine. I gave this book the highest rating.
Evie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Charlene's knowledge of oceanography and environmental issues as well as her experience paddling the coast of Maine makes this an entertaining mystery. Her characters are well drawn, especially the protagonist Mara.
Karen
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a well written, researched and thought-provoking mystery. Emotionally charged, wonderful characters and I simply love the cover!
Jessica
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-fiction
I confess to having some doubts when I started reading this novel: a climate change and crime/detective plot? I couldn't quite imagine how the two would mix. Plus, I'm a biologist/conservationist myself and not too keen to delve into environmental bad news after work hours, so to speak. But I was pleasantly surprised. Cold Blood, Hot Sea is a brisk, entertaining, educational read. I especially admired the skill with which D'Avanzo wove plenty of factual information into the narrative without sta ...more
Geoffrey Cooper
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this immensely. The combination of climate change science, oceanography, and a neat mystery makes for a great read. And Mara Tusconi is a fascinating character, both as scientist and detective.
Angie C
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery!
Susan
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A real page turner! Loved the way the author wove mystery and climate science together. A great read and also educational.
Victoria
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This story, billed as “A Mara Tusconi Mystery,” introduces Mara, age 31, whose work at the Maine Oceanographic Institute (MOI) centers on the timely subject of climate change. D’Avanzo deserves credit for taking on the difficult task of making a science topic accessible to a general audience and taking advantage of the possibilities for drama inherent in this contentious field.
The story holds several key points of friction. First, between Mara and an aquaculture startup corporation up the Maine
Susan Cushman
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
There's a lot to like about this book: the Maine setting, the plot involving science fraud, and several of the characters. I especially enjoyed the stalwart friendship between the two female scientists Mara and Harvey. And I learned some things about climate science, the email flap involving climate scientists a few years ago, and sea kayaking. The descriptions of the Maine land and seascapes were sure-handed and particular.

While the character development was interesting enough, I withheld stars
Anne Leilani
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I grew up in Maine so this book was easy for me to relate to. And I have enjoyed kayaking in Casco Bay, off Portland Maine. So I enjoyed Mara's kayaking, learning to roll in her kayak. I really liked her spying adventure in her kayak at night. The fact that it was April and the water extremely frigid, should she capsize, added to the tenseness of her obtaining sea samples in a place she could not be seen.
I could imagine being at the wharf and being on boats and ships. I could imagine Mara's lob
Daisy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
What an easy, interesting read. The author does a great job of explaining both sides of the environmental issue while also throwing in a mystery. I read this book as part of a virtual book club. I found the book to be perfect for a book club because there was a lot to discuss. I'm looking forward to reading the next one!
Billie
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a Mara Tusconi Mystery. Mara investigates the death of a scientist killed on the research vessel Intrepid. As she encounters the circumstances surrounding this death she believes it was no accident. She puts her career and life on the line. A good solid mystery that will keep you turning the pages. I received this book free through Goodreads Giveaways for a review.
Cbsd library
May 16, 2016
Aramati
Jun 23, 2017
Lyn Smith
Jul 21, 2017
Ted Lehmann
rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
Rachel
Mar 29, 2018
David Middleton
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
good cli fi mystery. not exactly high art but a page turner.
Marsha
Dec 04, 2016
Megan
Jul 12, 2016
Crime Detective M...: COLD BLOOD, HOT SEA Giveaway!! 2 50 Apr 27, 2016 05:15AM
Why does a marine ecologist/college professor turn to mystery writing? Easy. What could be more mysterious, dangerous, and riveting than the deep, dark sea?

I write the Mara Tusconi Maine Oceanography Mystery Series. Mara's a feisty scientist who uses her sea kayak to track down the bad guys.

"Cold Blood, Hot Sea" (2016) is a Foreward Review Indie Mystery finalist. Mara witnesses the death of a de

Mara Tusconi Mystery (2 books)
  • Demon Spirit, Devil Sea (Mara Tusconi Mystery #2)
“Many fiction writers have used novels to promote social change. Why couldn’t I? No matter that I had no experience whatsoever writing fiction. I could learn. I decided on mysteries because I love the genre and could envisage a story featuring climate change researchers hounded by climate change doubters.” 0 likes