Start by marking “Don't Come in Here” as Want to Read:
Don't Come in Here

Don't Come in Here

Looking for an inexpensive live/work space, an anonymous character settles on a supernatural apartment that has a seemingly unlimited number of identical rooms and manifests distracting illusions and other psychological hurdles. The story unfolds in vignettes that voyeuristically document the character’s domestic activities in an increasingly disorienting environment.
Published May 10th 2016 by Koyama Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Come in Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Come in Here

Start your review of Don't Come in Here
Jan Philipzig
Just Me and My Computer

The faceless protagonist of Patrick Kyle’s Don’t Come in Here lives in a disorienting, strangely fathomless apartment: “So many halls, I haven’t used them all.” His landlord lives directly below: “I expect you to keep your noises down. I understand—this is life. But noises disturb me and keep me awake at night.” Our faceless protagonist assures him: “I’m here to work. It’s just me and my computer.” And what a dutiful computer it is, providing advice along the lines of: “You c
Robert
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Kyle, the author of Distance Mover, is a distinctive and imaginative artist. This collection of surreal vignettes centers around an anonymous character living in a disorienting apartment, where ordinary dimensions of space & reality seem to be highly compromised. With underlying themes of alienation, isolation and psychological disturbance, adeptly limned in Kyle's unique, almost hieroglyphic style, Don't Come in Here is an eerie, unsettling, and hypnotic experience, easily one of my ...more
vostendrasamigosyotengolibros
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is a very original and fun book.
Mike Kleine
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kinda really good. I like that you can never really see the main character's face. I've never really seen that done before. And then there's the stuff about walking from one place to another--Patrick Kyle does something really cool in this book with that. The landlord character is ultra-mint. Yes, there's even a Simpsons bit it is super meta but in a really cool sort of (not-really-that-meta) way. I didn't think I would like the book. I only bought it because it was <$10 for a brand new book ...more
Kim
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Transformation, which is one of the principles of comics, necessitates the flow of time in comics. Frequently utilizing the transformation, Kyle shows how the eternality of time and the vastness of space inducing the anxiety.
Rachel Davies
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Kyle's best yet, I think.
Curtis
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
My girlfriend and I sat in on the 10th anniversary panel for Koyama Press this year (2017) at the Small Press Expo (SPX), where Patrick Kyle was one of the panelists.

We purchased his book at the table on the showroom floor, then I read it on the plane ride home.

While I did find the work to be a bit lengthy - given the amount of plot/content contained therein - I appreciate the risks being taken to break comics out of a rigid superhero format.

Overall, I admire
Liz Yerby
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't tell if this took a lot of effort or little effort, (jk it definitely takes a lotta effort to make any comic book) but the main thing is the books got a real solid flow.

It's all design and composition and light and airy and wild.

I don't know if this is what I in particular need from comics, but I'm glad it's out there.

Amazon sucks.
Falk Louis
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Mein zweites Buch von Patrick Kyle. Sehr inspirierend. Ziemlich ungewohnt. Ich liebe es besonders, wie sich Dinge von Panel zu Panel verändern, ohne dass sie es "sollten". Zeigt die Einzigartigkeit jedes Moments. Das Buch liest sich wie in Comic-Form gebrachte abstrakte Kunst.
Landon Stuart
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creative, cool artwork, weird in a good way.
Andréa
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Note: I received a finished copy of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
elise
Kafkaesque
Drew Lerman
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This book was a lot of fun. Creepy and yet "safe," you know, I felt like I was going to be OK. It was like reading a prose writer with a brilliant yet (somehow) breezy prose style: easy to read quickly, but really rewards slowing down and paying attention to small compositional decisions. I read the ending very quickly, too quickly, and I think I'll want to read the whole thing again soon.

I also liked the strange and ambiguous commentary on this computer-life we all lead now.
Sasha Boersma
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deliciously bizarre little book about living in a multi-dimensional apartment. Surreal art style, where you never really see the face of the main character, as s/he explores dreams, thoughts, neighbours, and use of computers.
Kate
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Simple, bizarre drawings make up the work of a smooth-headed man who likes to hang out in his apartment and have conversations with his computer.
Glen Farrelly

• McGlue
  • Four Reincarnations: Poems
  • Walking to Martha's Vineyard
  • Exits
Patrick Kyle is a multidisciplinary artist from Toronto, Canada.