Start by marking “Learning Good Consent: On Healthy Relationships and Survivor Support” as Want to Read:
Learning Good Consent: On Healthy Relationships and Survivor Support

Learning Good Consent: On Healthy Relationships and Survivor Support

Cindy Crabb provides a DIY tour of the promise and perils of sexual relationships in Learning Good Consent. Building ethical relationships is one of the most important things we can do, but sex, consent, abuse, and support can get complicated. This collection is an indispensable guide to both preventing sexual violence and helping its survivors to heal. Includes a foreword by Kiyo ...more
Published June 28th 2016 by AK Press

To ask other readers questions about Learning Good Consent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning Good Consent

Emily
This seems like it would be a very helpful resource to survivors of sexual assault and abuse, but for the most part it just wasn't for me! I did enjoy the essay on consent (culture) between gay/bi/msm men!
Shelley
Good book for young adults (and all adults) who are uncomfortable talking about sexuality and/or need to learn how to discuss negotiating consent for sex in a playful exciting way that contributes to the sense of arousal.

I really liked the fact that many different perspectives were used so you could see various situations from different angles. Kudos to the editors of the collection....
JB
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everyone, even you and I, could be better at consent. While it can be hard to learn a new set of rules and tools regarding a topic as secretive and repressed as sex, this book provides a good balance of why we must, and how we can, improve our consent and our sex lives to boot. Active ongoing enthusiastic consent is also a wonderful lens to navigate all sorts of platonic negotiation and respect of boundaries. Basically read this book and practice its message if you want to be better in bed, and ...more
Andrea Goldston
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm very happy this book exists. The world needs more literature about consent as the difficult, complicated, messy human issue it is. That said, the texts included frequently disagreed with each other, and tone made this book kind of hard to follow as a single book. I didn't agree with everything said, but the second half had a bunch of really good stuff in it. It's fairly short, so if it interests you, it shouldn't take terribly long to read.
violet marie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
note: i could not read the entire thing...

this book serves to and strokes the ego of and enables abusers to see themselves as victims. survivors should not be manipulated into thinking that abusers will change, that they didn’t know better or that it isn’t a black and white issue. it’s yes or no. if consent is complicated to you- you have a predatory lens.

reading- even just a small part- of this was extremely triggering and frustrating and i can’t imagine things getting any better from here. i
Braden Stewart
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick and essential read. It is required reading for anyone who has even a passing interest in ever having sex.
Eric
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an eye opening collection of essays. Everyone should read this.
misha
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, polyamory
Insofar as there should be obligated reading, this should be on that list.
Sean Bradford
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend it to anyone. Found the information on panic attacks most timely.
Sean Estelle
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I showed my friend this book and she immediately said "oh my god this should be in schools everywhere"; I couldn't agree more. Consent is so much more than a simple yes/no, it's a lifelong skill that we have to build through reflection, study, and practice - and this book is both an awesome first step for folks that have never engaged, and a good reminder/complicator for those that have.

P.S. every single gay/bi/queer man/masc person I know should read the piece in here called "Positive Consent
Andrea Wang
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Learning Good Consent was eye-opening, reaffirming and empowering. The wisdom in these pages are wide-reaching even though a lot of the content is focused on love and sex. The book, a collection of tips, personal stories and even a couple comics, has inspired me to strike up the important conversations that should be quotidian and are often missing in our lives.
Roxanne
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a Goodreads win review. This is an excellent book especially for young people to read. It talks about the perils of sexual relationships and learning what the word consent means. This book is also for preventing sexual violence and help survivors heal.
Megan
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should be everywhere, and read by everyone.
Joshua Williams
Matt Super
Dec 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dear Sister: Letters From Survivors of Sexual Violence
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • Adventures in the Orgasmatron: How the Sexual Revolution Came to America
  • Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice
  • $pread: The Best of the Magazine that Illuminated the Sex Industry and Started a Media Revolution
  • Outdated: Why Dating Is Ruining Your Love Life
  • An Archive of Feelings: Trauma, Sexuality, and Lesbian Public Cultures
  • Do What You Want
  • The New Bottoming Book
  • The Polyamorists Next Door: Inside Multiple-Partner Relationships and Families
  • Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture
  • Polyamory in the 21st Century: Love and Intimacy with Multiple Partners