Start by marking “The Natural History of Us (The Fine Art of Pretending, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Natural History of Us (The Fine Art of Pretending, #2)

The Natural History of Us (The Fine Art of Pretending #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  837 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
One class assignment. One second chance at love. The school player is all in. Now he needs to win back the sweet commitment girl who's forever owned his heart.

Justin Carter has a secret. He's not the total player Fairfield Academy believes him to be. Not really. In fact, he used to be a one-woman guy...and his feelings for her never went away. Too bad he broke her heart t
Published April 5th 2016 by Spencer Hill Press

Rachel Harris
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am SOOO excited about this book!!! A favorite character from book 1 gets their own book, and there will be lots of angst, and a whole lot of yummy swoonage lol
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley.)

“Paired with the boy who irrevocably broke my heart… Justin Carter.”

This was a YA contemporary romance story, with a bit of mystery.

Peyton seemed like quite a confident girl who wouldn’t let her illness hold her back, Justin on the other hand hadn’t made the best choices when it came to their relationship.

The storyline in this was about Peyton and Justin being throw
Stacee
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve loved all of Rachel’s books, so I knew that I would enjoy this one. There were a few things I didn’t see coming and I really enjoyed the way everything was revealed.

Pre-break up Peyton was my favorite. She’s sassy and wants to try all of the new things. Her personal motto is “do what scares you” and I thought that was amazing. Post-breakup Peyton was definitely different. She’s skittish and doesn’t trust herself and that was sort of heartbreaking to Pre-break up Justin was sort of an ass. H
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

Rating: 4.5/5

I will admit that I stalked Rachel for this book until she finally got tired of me and handed me a copy hahaha No, I’d like to think that she liked me and offered me an advanced copy of this book for that. :)

So once I got back from Apollycon and finished another ARC, I dove right into this book and fell in love with this story.

First warning… If you haven’t read The Fine Art of Pretending… Well go and read it now and stop reading my review
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 4.5/5

Review coming soon!
Marie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like cute, fluffy romance
I LOVED The Fine Art of Pretending so I was really excited about this.

Justin, our guy, appeared in the first book and a lot of people loved him (myself included) that Rachel decided to give him his own happy ending.

For me, this book will only appeal to certain types of readers. The plot lies heavily on romance and I only recommend it to people who are suckers for romances like me (haha) .

It took me a while to get into this and I almost gave up. It was told in two POVs (Justin's and  Peyton's)
Justine Mae Disuanco
Oct 05, 2014 marked it as to-read
Gabi and Carlos please! <3 by the way I really loved the first book can't wait for this one.
Allison
I received an ARC via NetGalley.

I did not finish this book. I have a rule that I must read to 25% on ARCs even if I am finding the book unbearable. Unfortunately, The Natural History of Us is one of those books that I don't continue after that point.

This book is entirely too cutesy. It's filled with nicknames: "Garlos," "Sunshine," "CC," "pretty girl." Justin meets Peyton and is so cocky that he immediately makes up a nickname for her. It was awkward. Every time one was used I cringed so hard.
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
When I requested this book on Netgalley, it made no mention of it being book 2 in a series or that the hero featured in the first book. It probably would have helped if I read the first book before this one.

I haven't read anything by this author before. I wasn't particularly taken with the writing style. I also didn't like how the story kept flashing back to three years previously. I didn't like the chapter titles which was a way to tell us which period of time it was. I would have preferred if
Three Chicks
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Review by Lisa Kane
We first met Justin Carter in The Fine Art of Pretending. He's Fairfield Academy's hot baseball player. There's always been a bit of a mystery about him. He has a vulnerable side and that side has a name-Peyton Williams.

A few years ago these two were an item. Not that most people knew that, but when it ended, it ended badly. The fall out from that break up had a domino effect on Peyton's life. After suffering from an illness, she also lost the one constant in her life
Melissa West
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book ten stars if I could. I absolutely adored it, in a re-reading lines, can't get enough, wished I could read it again for the first time sort of way. It is special and real and so emotional that you will find yourself hoping beyond hope that Peyton and Justin find their happily ever after.

It is rare that I feel I can recommend a book to anyone, that any reader would love it. Well, I offer you THE NATURAL HISTORY OF US. You will laugh and smile and swoon and cry. It is every
Cassie Mae
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Butterflies in the tummy, sore cheeks, happy sigh-inducing love you to death and can't get enough of you book. I can't even form coherent sentences. Can't wait till it comes out so I can tell everyone to buy it.

Adorable, funny, and heart-wrenching. This is a book I hugged in my sleep. Absolutely ADORED!

Now I must find another fluffy-with-the-feels read.
Kim
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

You know that feeling when you start a book and realize it's absolutely the PERFECT book for you in the moment? The Natural History of Us was that book for me. I'd been looking forward to this one since it was announced because I enjoyed the first book in the series and I love how Rachel's books make me feel. (So feel-filled and happy-making!) It took awhile for me to get to it because my stack of books is out of control, but I picked it up last
Moriah
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment*

Would it be too ostentatious to go ahead and order everything Rachel Harris has ever written? Goodness gracious me, her books are wonderful! How on this beautiful earth am I just now discovering her writing? I swooned over Brandon and Aly’s friendship turned faux romance turned real romance in The Fine Art of Pretending, but when their story ended, I did have a few questions about the other characters in her book. For instance, Justin Carter. O
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Freshman year, Peyton Williams caught Fairfield High's notorious playboy and he couldn't take his eyes off her. The two got to know each other and developed feelings either one couldn't hide anymore. But their relationship was kept secret from their respective families and friends. A secret that bore another secret. Until disaster struck and separated them.

Senior year, after three years of no communication between ex lovers, suddenly they found themselves paired to each other for a parenting pr
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*

I remember when I first met/started going out with my boyfriend when I was 15 years old (the age that Peyton & Justin are in this story). I was in complete awe of him and knew that I was not good enough for him. I thought he was too good to be true and that one day he would decide he didn't want to be with me. This feeling did not leave me for many years. It had nothing to do with the way he was with me but the way I saw myself. I think that 28 years I am now over this feeling but I
Christine Alibutud
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*cue incessant squealing*

This book was cuteness. overload.

Gah. The Natural History of Us was such a sweet sweet sweeeeeet read! I enjoyed The Fine Art of Pretending, and I was so glad to have learned that Justin would have his own book! As expected, I liked this one, maybe even better than the first installment.

Of course, there were a few times when I wanted to slap some sense into Justin and Peyton, because come on, main characters often manage to get on our nerves, but got us wrapped in th
Valerie
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute and sweet, this story feels healing. Both characters are clearing doing that for various reasons. It's the kind of story where you keep reading because you MUST know what came between these two, three years ago. I loved them both and was so cheering for them.

Of course, I love me a baseball player. Justin has issues. His home life brings out the mama claws in me. I want to reach inside the pages and *itch slap his dad. And while I don't always understand Justin's choices, I get him. I see to
Brittany
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am so glad I finally picked this up. It was so cute and gave me everything I needed Justin wise. Awesome spin off of The Fine Art of Pretending. I was a little disappointed the character I rallied so hard for in TFAOP, but he got his happy ending and I was so glad for that! Looking forward to more by Rachel Harris. Here's to hoping for a Lauren story!
Darameganknihy
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Harris mám ráda. Píše knihy pro dívky hezky, vtipně a mile. Tato není výjimkou. Je to fajn napsáno, žádné přehnané akce, ale hlavní hrdinové mají rozum. Řeší problémy tak, jak by to v jejich věku mělo být. Žádné šílenosti, ale používána logika náctiletých. Za mě dobrý! :-)
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Update 7/6/2017
I love Justin!
Prennyyyyyyy
Apr 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
I HOPE AND PRAY THAT THIS BOOK IS ABOUT JUSTIN!!!! PLEEEEEASE!!
Christina
My original review of this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

**Disclaimer:** An eARC of these title was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Quick Thoughts and Rating: 4 stars! The Natural History of Us was cute and angsty with great characters and a fantastic second-chance romance, a bit of all my fa
Kelly
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, young-adult
I love stories of second chances and held secrets. This has both. It is also a pretty good at portraying high school.

The story goes back and forth in time with freshman year and senior year. Of how Justin and Peyton started, ended and then where they go from there. Justin has a rich father who is absent in his life and always working. His grandparents raised him until they died when he was young. His stepmom ignores him. Justin’s half-brother adores Justin and the feeling is mutual. Justin only
Vendea
I přes nějaká ta chybějící písmena a podobně jsem si tohle naprosto užila. Snad ještě lepší než první díl, jelikož mi tu byli sympatičtí oba hlavní hrdinové. Oddychovka, která vůbec neurazí. A je to z prostředí koní!!! Peyton i Justin jsou prostě zlatíčka. Konec. Kde mám jako další díl? Proč Rachel nenapíše třeba něco o Gabi a Carlosovi?

4/5*
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
I don't know if I have already established it but Rachel Harris is one of my favorite authors so it's not a secret that I was really excited to read this book. The Fine Art of Pretending was one of my favorite reads last year so I was looking forward to reading about Justin Carter. If I remember correctly, I did say that there's more to him than he leads us on and this book just proved me right.

Basically the story's about Justin and Peyton, how they met, fell in love, broke up, and got back toge
Booklover
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

This book is cute and heartwarming and also slightly heartbreaking.

The Natural History of Us follows Peyton and Justin and their stories at two very points in their lives.
I found that format to be perfect for this book. There was a bit of foreshadowing and suspense that went on, and I loved how throughout the book you pieced together bits and pieces of what happened, and then soon after had those suspicions confirmed.

One of the things I loved about the book was the romance. It was super
Jasmine
I did not finish this book. Hell no. I couldn't. Both main characters are DESPICABLE people. Disgusting. Justin breaks Peyton's heart and she's upset and blah blah blah. But years later, she does the SAME thing to her boyfriend by being with Justin! Now she doesn't physically cheat on her boyfriend-- but she almost does and is constantly emotionally cheating on him. Is that a thing? I don't know but it is to me. If you don't like the damn guy, break up with him, don't sit there and fantasize abo ...more
Patricia
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, but didn't want to round up. Fluff read. Mild quantity of language.
Cheyanne Young
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another charming Rachel Harris book! full review to come!
  • Tessa Ever After (Reluctant Hearts, #2)
  • Romancing the Nerd (Nerd, #2)
  • Prima Donna (Friends First, #2)
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • Aimee and the Heartthrob (Backstage Pass #1)
  • Mia and the Bad Boy (Backstage Pass #2)
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • Hannah Both Ways
  • Addicted (Outlaws, #2)
  • Nice Girls Don't Ride
  • The Bridge from Me to You
  • Daisy and the Front Man (Backstage Pass, #3)
  • Forever Now (Forever #1)
  • A Kiss by Design (Kiss & Tell, #1)
  • The Sound of Us
  • Trouble from the Start
  • Song of Summer
  • Cowboys & Kisses (Teens of Black Falls Texas, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Rachel Harris writes humorous love stories about sassy girls-next-door and the hot guys that make them swoon. Vibrant settings, witty banter, and strong relationships are a staple in each of her books…and kissing. Lots of kissing.

An admitted Diet Mountain Dew addict and homeschool mom, she gets through each day by laughing at herself, hugging her kids, and watchin
More about Rachel Harris

The Fine Art of Pretending (3 books)
  • The Fine Art of Pretending (The Fine Art of Pretending, #1)
  • Untitled (The Fine Art of Pretending #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“A smile doesn't always mean you're happy." I shrugged and looked away. "Sometimes it just means you're ready to face whatever comes.” 2 likes
“Hi, I'm Justin." Then, unable to help myself, I shot Peyton a sly grin and added," Or, as someone people like to call me, "Baseball Stud.” 2 likes