Start by marking “Stay, Breathe with Me: The Gift of Compassionate Medicine” as Want to Read:
Stay, Breathe with Me:  The Gift of Compassionate Medicine

Stay, Breathe with Me: The Gift of Compassionate Medicine

Serious illness is a drama of body, mind, and soul where symptoms and suffering cannot be separated from the person who is ill.

Yet that is what happens in our modern medical system, a system so focused on technology and cure, it loses sight of the person behind the illness.

The result is cruel and needless suffering. In Stay, Breathe with Me, the authors make the argument
Paperback
Published June 7th 2016 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about Stay, Breathe with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay, Breathe with Me

Start your review of Stay, Breathe with Me: The Gift of Compassionate Medicine
Kathleen Pooler
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a retired family nurse practitioner, I spent my forty-four year career navigating a health care system that often times felt insensitive to the needs of patients and their families. I have also been on the other side as a cancer patient and have experienced the difference between compassionate and insensitive care so I read Stay, Breathe with Me with great interest.

I also speak as a nurse with experience in hospice and as a family member who witnessed first-hand the compassion and love provid
Rosalind Villers
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stay, Breathe with Me is a revealing look into palliative care and the people it serves as well as the caring souls who work there. Beautifully written, poignant and thoughtful, it highlights the need for compassionate, patient-focused care, something all too often missing in the healthcare industry. This mother and daughter writing team have produced an eye-opening and educational book of interest to not only those in the healthcare field, but also to anyone like myself wanting to learn more ab ...more
Barbra Drizin
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a deeply compassionate and wise book. The focus of Palliative Care is an alleviation of suffering and the healing power of compassion. The lessons in this beautiful book bring to light what modern medicine...and all of us...can learn.

It is compelling reading for all of us who are involved in "end of life" care.

It is so evident that Helen Allison was loved and respected by her patients and peers, and how beautiful that this book is a mother-daughter collaboration.
Helena Korin
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book speaks to anyone caring for a friend or family member who is seriously ill, but especially to the members of the medical community. It's a reminder that patients are human beings with fears and insecurities based on their life histories. Besides being given pain killers, they need to be reassured that someone is hearing their plea for a caring response. Beautifully written with many poignant stories, this book will bring tears to your eyes.
Michelle Sevigny
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and important book written by this mother-daughter team. The stories are lovely and I cried (in empathy, not sadness!) while I learned about palliative care. So many times I had to re-read sentences to fully absorb the beauty of the words. I highly recommend this book.
Judy
Nov 27, 2016 added it
Nice narrative with a personal touch to illustrate important aspects of palliative care. I am left to wonder why this is reserved for palliative care because it seems applicable to all care.
Geraldine Cantrell
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tribute to the dignity of dying, this book is the embodiment of wisdom and grace. Exploring the complexities involved in palliative care, it illustrates the difference between medical proficiency and the compassionate care needed to alleviate end-of-life suffering.

The compelling stories of terminally ill patients illuminate core lessons that the process of dying can teach us all: lessons about the impact of open communication and listening with the heart, about the meaning of another
Katherine Boyk
rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2017