Start by marking “Girl Got Game, Vol. 1 (Girl Got Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl Got Game, Vol. 1 (Girl Got Game, #1)

Girl Got Game, Vol. 1

(Girl Got Game #1)

Enjoy a comedy romance graphic novel from the popular Tokyopop collection. See what happens when a girl is disguised as a boy so she can play on a famous boys' basketball team. Kyo may want to date a boy instead of becoming one, but she's not entirely unhappy when she also becomes roommates with her rival on the courts!
Published January 6th 2004 by TokyoPop (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Got Game, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Got Game, Vol. 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
362 books — 1,667 voters
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBeauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko Arai
Awesome Manga
217 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenifer
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the first Manga book I've ever read. I got used to the style (reading backwards) pretty easily and I read the entire book in one sitting.

I read this as a preview for my 9 year old niece, however, I don't think it'd be wholly appropriate for her yet. There are some older teen topics in it. Plus if I found the narration and characters confusing in this, I can only image that she would as well and probably even more so.

I might continue on in this series as it was entertaining to me but I
Julie
I'm rereading manga to try to get myself out of this reading slump. This one I haven't read in a while. It was one of my favorites cause it was ridiculously funny and includes a gender bender where the girl is disguised as a boy which is an auto buy subject for me. It's still funny and cute, but it's definitely cheesier than I remember but it has been at least 6 years since I last read it
Jessi
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, own
Girl Got Game starts with Kyo's father announcing that he has enrolled her as a boy at a new school so that she can play on the male basketball team. He wants to live vicariously through his daughter. She, pretending to be a he, ends up sharing a dorm with one of her male teammates, Chiharu. They drive each other crazy and have to learn to get along for the good of the team and their own sanity.

This series as a whole is mediocre. It starts off strong but gets weak. I started to notice it with th
Mike
I'm not even sure why I read this. I pretty much knew it was going to be bad from the very beginning. And yeah, it was about as bad as I suspected, not many surprises in store. The romance is badly-written, the artwork is confusing, the scene transitions are terrible, and there's just a lack of structure. I guess the main character was alright, but on the whole, there's very little to like here.
Kendra Ashcraft
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you like the movie She's the Man, then you'll like this series, since the story is in the same vein.

Kyo's dad enrolled her at her new high school as a boy so she could play on the boy's basketball team (hoping that one day she will fulfill the dream he had once of becoming a NBA player), much to Kyo's chagrin at first.

But, after she's on the team, she realizes she likes playing with the boys and actually feels a challenge in the game now. What follows are funny and heartwarming escapades of
Bryn (Plus Others)
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shoujo-manga
I'd thought this was going to be a sports manga, but it seems to be more cross-dressing romcom, which is okay but I have already read a lot of that genre & am not really interested in more unless it does something New and Interesting.
Teetee
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
This used to be one of my favorites series!!
Samantha
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-classroom
Cute but silly. Are there not competitive female basketball teams in Japan?
Katie
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed, manga
see full review @ Katie's Corner

Hello, everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I have another work by Seino Shizuru. The first one I covered was Love Attack and you can find the review on my blog. I’ll be covering 2 more works, but that’s for future. However, let me tell you one thing that I have found out about Seino Shizuru’s works. All of them or mostly all of them are linked. If we take this one as a core, then its spin off is Love Attack and that has a sequel of its own, and aft
Kristy Buzbee
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Girl Got Game is a series I collected and read a year or two ago. Now I'm in the process of re-reading it, so I'll add the volumes as I read them now. :)

It's another gender-bender, because I'm a total sucker for them. And, like most gender-benders, it has its own unique hook. Kyo is excited to be attending Seisyu High, because their girls' uniforms are notoriously cute. Imagine her surprise when it arrives and it's a boy's uniform. :o

Turns out her dad, who wanted to play professional basketball
Karaoke OK
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of romance comedy manga
Shelves: manga-okay
[Series Length: 10 volumes / Read: volumes 1-5]

The biggest problem with this series is that it's written by a mangaka with very little personal knowledge or expertise about basketball, and yet she is basing the whole story on a gifted female basketball player who wants to play with the boys (and not surprisingly, disguises herself as a boy).

As a result, most of the series takes place outside of the basketball court, and deals much more with relationships rather than sports action. So those reade
Winny Yang
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january, sports, manga
This book is about a girl named Kyo who is now pretending to be a guy at a highschool famous for the men's basketball team. Not for her, but for her dad, the one who wants her baby girl to achieve his dream.

I decided to start reading this book because it was another manga series about a sport I love. After reading Crimson Hero, I realized that I enjoy reading manga about sports more than they types of manga.

The reason why I decided to complete this book is because I wanted to discover what happ
Megan
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
One of the first manga I read. What makes this work isn't the plot, which has been done (better) elsewhere hundreds of times. It's not really the characters, either, although I do have a soft spot for Kyo and Chiharu. Instead, it's the sheer over-the-top-ness of everything that makes it work. Watching Kyo maneuver around the crazy shenanigans while trying to maintain her cover has sort of the irresistible appeal of watching a train wreck--only for the train to somehow bounce over whatever it was ...more
Stevie
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great gender bender (those are always funny) with a nice mix of romance, humor and sports (basketball, my personal favorite sport). There were multiple parts where I laughed out loud and really felt for the characters. I love the main character, she's funny, determined and has (overall) a great personality. The relation ship between her and Kyo is cute and funny. The arcs in the story are great and well developed (and a bit silly). I recomend this book to anyone who loves a good 'ol fa ...more
Sereneblaze
So girl loves to play basketball. Enrolls in a high school that doesn't have a female basketball team. What does her father do? Enrolls as a boy so she can play basketball that she doesn't know about until she receives her uniforms and she's going to live a the boys dorm... you know where this is going to go.

A girl pretending a boy among boys is kinda a staple of shoujo manga. This one does pretty well. The art is good and the manga is rather humorous as well. It doesn't unfortunately have anyth
Nisha
I read and re-read this series, especially when I want something really cute (without being chibi).

If you haven't read the back cover, its a simple gender-bender about a girl who is somewhat forced to dress up as a guy to play basketball. She ends up rooming with the cute star forward, and clearly, they are meant for each other. Its not really a complicated story. We've all read, heard, watched many version of this same concept.

My biggest problem with this book is how quickly Aizawa falls for C
anenko
This series is something a guilty pleasure. The humour is juvenile, and often hits my embarrassment squick. Mid-series, the story takes a sudden and completely unexpected detour into dark-and-dangerous territory, only to quickly veer back towards romantic cross-dressing hijinks. The conclusion to the series was a bit abrupt, and decidedly odd.

Girl Got Game is far from the most polished series I’ve read, but I found it charming enough to ignore most of the rough patches (or at least, not to comp
Mmmhhmm
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one strange but really sweet manga. But when reading it, get one thing clear: this manga is NOT about basketball. I've read plenty sports manga and while Girl Got Game has sports elements to it, the majority of the story revolves around the drama between all the characters. The beginning of the series and the end are easily the best ones, but the middle is a complete mess of random events and characters.

Still, the interactions between our main love interests is one of the most believable
Elena
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Of course there always has to be that one book that everyone reads at least once, the same story line I mean, where a girl dresses up as a guy, Which is what this book is about!
I thought it was really good even though it's a really cliche plot because I mean it is pretty annoying how everyone has used this at least once but still the characters were funny and great and the way she concealed her identity was pretty well thought out as well, I would recommend this book to anyone that just likes t
Rachel
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A gender-bender, this is where a character pretends to be a member of the opposite sex for some "rational" reason. In this case Kyo's father enrols her in the program to live out his dream. While in school, Kyo has to face all the trials of being a female while hiding the fact that she isn't male. Bonds are formed, basketball is played, and although the circumstances may be unusual love is found. The series suffers a bit from not having a firm plot, but it consistent in its development otherwise ...more
Aileenhu
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Girl Got Game (also known as Power!) was a really good in my opinion. I wouldn't say that the art is the best (but it is better).

When it comes to manga, I really like the idea of a girl crossdressing for some reason, into another school as a boy (I don't mind if it's co-ed or all-boys).

I would say that I love the facial expressions. Particularly Kyo's. It's like really dramatic.

Later in the series, the humor lessens as the romance takes part, but there is still some truly good laughs.
Francine
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as I seemed to like it last year (when I gave it 4 stars). I'll hold onto this book for nostalgia's sake, and because it's the only sports manga I own. Still, I'm kinda curious how the story continuous from here: will it stay run-of-the-mill or will I be surprised once again? The series appears to have concluded, so I'll see if I can find it anywhere. It's out of print, so wish me luck!
Megan Leong
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves
I'm just going to say this for all the rest of the other books in this series.THIS.IS.COMPLETELY.AWESOME.People who are fans of Romance,Drama,Comedy,and Basketball should totally read this.It was so funny that I probably read this whole entire series once every month.It was that good.If you have nothing to do during the summer,this series is the one for you because it gets you hyped up and going to play basketball or to just go out and hang with friends instead of staying indoors.
Diana
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-romance, manga
To sum this manga up, at least from the first volume, it's basically hana-kimi with basketball. To the point that I spent the entire manga thinking, "oh, this happened in Hana-kimi too!"

What's worse is, while this is a matter of personal taste, the characters in the manga aren't that attractive looking so there isn't even any fanservice to fall back on.

I probably will not be reading the next one.
Treasure
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, which surprised me, as I thought the basketball thing would throw me off. While I think kids who are into basketball will enjoy that part of the story, I liked the main character's attempts to masquerade as a boy while trying to repair relationships around her. I think both boys and girls will enjoy this story-- it is funny, about sports, and has just a touch of sex (nothing too exciting... not yet, anyway).
Jordan Michaels
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: manga lovers
Recommended to Jordan by: one of my book clubs on here
Reminiscent of She's All That, this book is very funny and goofy. The fact the girl is so against it at first but then throws herself into it is endearing. You feel a little sorry for her but then she shines and you are left in awe. I was surprised that her secret came out so fast. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Cathy
Apr 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
A modern day gender bender. Kyo Aizawa's father wants her to fulfill his dream of becoming a champion basketball player so she pretends to be a boy in order to play on the boy’s basketball team. But this means living in the confines of the boy's campus and making a rival think...he’s falling for a guy? Wicked.
Casey
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first manga I've read cover to cover and highly enjoyed the Teen romance/cross dressing/basketball theme. I wish Aizawa wasn't over stereotyped ("I'm used to playing with girls! it's a miracle I've been able to keep up at all!) but it was still fun to read and I plan on continuing the series.
Maryam
Mar 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Shoujo with shounen taste
Shelves: manga
This is a ten volume manga. So far I have read up to 4 volumes. It is another typical girl as a boy shoujo story. The story is sweet, funny and OK if you have some time (and money) to spare but nothing spectacular so far.
Ashleigh
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i found, in the beginning of the book, that sometimes people obsessed with the game can make stupid and kind of funny decisions. while i may have laughed at the beginning it got a little serious towards the middle and the end. it really got me into the series, i am so addicted to the drama.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Punch!, Vol. 1 (Punch!, #1)
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, Vol. 3 (Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, #3)
  • Forbidden Dance, Vol. 1
  • Wanted
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • W Juliet, Vol. 1
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Othello, Volume 1
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Volume 1
  • Love Monster, Vol. 1 (Love Monster, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1
  • B.O.D.Y., Vol. 1
  • Monkey High!, Vol. 1
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
Current Residence: Sapporo
Zodiac: Gemini
Blood Type: A
Likes: potatoes, tea, karaoke

Girl Got Game (10 books)