Start by marking “Doodletopia: Manga: Draw, Design, and Color Your Own Super-Cute Manga Characters and More (Includes Bonus Manga Crafts and Cut-Outs)” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
An interactive doodle book from the best-selling art instruction author and cartoon master that pairs illustrating insights with drawing, designing, coloring, and crafting activities for aspiring manga artists.

For years, Christopher Hart has given readers the tools and techniques needed to learn how to draw and cartoon. With the Doodletopia series, Hart offers his readers
Published June 21st 2016 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about Doodletopia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doodletopia

Edward Lorn
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy manga and chibi
Shelves: b4b
My daughter enjoys drawing manga and chibi. These are some of her reference materials.

Palm Springs commercial photography

The one in the middle is the book we're reviewing today, courtesy of Crown Publishing, who sent her Doodletopia free in exchange for telling you fine folk whether or not it's worth a buy.

Autumn (who is 11) says, "Yes, this is worth the price of admission," and had Crown not sent her a copy, she would have made me asked me to buy her a copy.

Autumn also had all this to say (her words dictated through her Daddy
Carla
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
**I received a free eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

This is such a cute book! I really enjoy drawing, so when I saw this I thought it might be a lot of fun, and I was not disappointed.

The drawings are incredibly adorable, I couldn't help but smile when looking at some of them. It also shows you how to draw animals, mazes, objects and it even teaches you how to create your own stationary.

Something I really liked is that this has a lot of unfinished sketches
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)

It has been quite awhile since I tried to draw in the manga style. No really, it is has probably been a good couple of years. I used to draw in it all the time. I was quite a fan of manga and anime, but over time that love decreased and I kind of forgot about it.

Then I saw the opportunity to get the Doodletopia: Manga book off of Blogging for Books in exchange for a review and I found myself thinking "why not?" I have been feeling the urge/need to be creative and to draw again, so I figured that
Kid Disaster
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Doodletopia: Manga is fun! I love to draw, and Manga has always been one of my favorites. But I’m not great with Chibi characters, and I was able to get in a lot of practice with this book. The artist sets up various scenes and projects for you to complete as you work your way through the book. I can’t wait for this book to come out in hard copy so I can fill in the pages.

I received an e-copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Tabitha
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Doodletopia: Managa: Draw, Design, and Color Your Own Super-Cute Manga Characters and More is a book that focuses on the "chibi" style of manga that is very popular among readers and artists that like kawaii. Kawaii is a super cutesy type of art as well as collectibles and items, even a fashion statement. This book definitely captures the chibi and kawaii style of manga and will help someone new to drawing chibis or manga learn the little basics of what helps to set your style into that genre. I ...more
Amena  (Nerd in New York)
Nerd In New YorkCaptureThis book is so cute, and wonderful! I had a lot of fun trying to learn how to draw manga from this book (key word: TRYING). First off, the pages were in a good high quality. It wasn't weak, or to strong. The drawings were in high-quality, and ADORABLE!! The book  had lots, and lots, of fun activities, like create your own mazes, make cut-out bookmarks, and even more fun!! This is not your original drawing book, it also allows you to draw inside the book, while filling out these exercises (I kno ...more
Diane Estrella
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have other "How to Draw" books by Christopher Hart, and once again he does not disappoint.

For anyone that is a fan of reading, watching, or drawing Manga, this book is for you. The author starts out slow and easy to teach the particulars of what makes Manga, well ... Manga. The pictures definitely portray a certain look to the characters along with the animals and other items in the scenes. I think the author takes a logical and sensical, systematic approach of going from a pure beginning stan
Lou
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't say I finished this book because I think I'll read it again and again, until my drawnings get better.

This book is a great tool for those who want to learn to draw chibi and manga. It explains step by step every line you have to draw. Even if you don't like manga but you like to draw, I thinks this book is very helpful.

There are a lot of excercises and it makes you put your talent in action.

My only warning for those who want to buy this book, it's that it is for basic drawning. If you're
TIZZY
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I have bought many many many art books and this one is one of the best drawing manga books I have seen in a while. I have so many great things to say about this book.♡ Most art books have about 20 pages; like you are supposed to learn how to draw in 30 minutes. HA! But, Doodletopia Manga is thick! Makes me know that I will learn a lot from this book. I am so excited about all the drawings I am about to experiment with. Even if you don't end up drawing from it, there is so much you can color in t ...more
Jess S.
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, sooo-cute
A copy of this book was provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is cute... absolutely!
description
In eleven chapters and 160 pages you lern how to draw nearly everything from head to toe.
The pages have templates to support the reader, but still leave enough room for own creativity. So you can start at zero and work through the book until you can draw your own scenes.

In the first chapter you are introduced to heads and faces.
The different characters are presented in various perspect
Natosha
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book, Doodletopia: Manga by Christopher Hart will have you learning to create manga easily and fast! Since you look inside the book and it's got you started drawing right away, no long introduction or chapters to read over before beginning. However, There are simple how-tos and easy to follow steps to teach you what to do to make a character look perfect when doodling Manga. The tools that you need to begin can be found in the front, while the most part of this book refers to the different t ...more
L.A. Kelley
It’s vacation time. I hoped Doodletopia Manga would be a fun book I could recommend to parents to pack for the kids when they get bored on a car trip. Unfortunately, it’s sadly lacking and in the most surprising way.

For a book that’s supposed to teach the budding artist how to draw manga, there are precious few instructions and they all are incomplete. A page will have some wire frame sketches and then the finished project from the author. Somewhere between the two an inexperienced artist is su
Puddlyduck
Doodletopia is a fun introduction to drawing manga characters. The author guides you gently into the progress by including a series of grids that you can complete and add to. In addition to finishing the pictures, the author adds little suggestions on how you can make the picture your own.

I particularly enjoyed the cute little background notes about the characters. For example, in the instruction on how to draw a stroppy girlfriend it begins;
"He said one thing wrong, and now—it’s over. Will she
Maureen Timerman
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My boys are always talking about and getting me to spring for new manga comic books. When I saw this Doodletopia Manga book I knew this would be right up their alley.
Now I’ve looked at these books that they read from the back to the front, and saw the darling characters, and now they can doodle to their hearts content.
This is a book that won’t leave the pictures half done; from beginning to end help is here.
Contents:
1. Finish the Heads and Faces
2. Make Hilarious Expressions with Silly Selfies
Shannon
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is an adorable how to book for manga. One thing I really liked about this book, that others may not, is that it doesn't make the reader go step-by-step to learn how to draw, but instead, the artist is challenged to finish drawings started by the author using other drawings in the book as guides. I feel this is probably how I learned to draw, and I've found it much easier to follow than trying to follow each step individually. To make this book even better, the author has a sense of humor. ...more
Sharon Tyler
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Doodletopia: Manga: Draw, Design, and Color your own Super-Cute Manga Characters and More by Christopher Hart is a book that combines instruction, inspiration, and interesting illustrations. The instructions are clear and concise, with activities and ideas that aspiring artists can use to expand their skill and comfort level with a variety of anime and manga style art. There is a great deal of information as well as exercises and challenges. Sections include opportunities for readers to draw a c ...more
Jordan
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really wasn't sure what to expect when I requested this book, and I was extremely pleasantly surprised. Drawing has always been a great pastime of mine, and I wanted to try something new.
Doodletopia provides a large abundance of manga figures and styles to draw, along with clear, easy to understand instructions and ideas. I really felt like I was able to learn a lot, and I especially loved how the author would show the basic how-to of a figure, and then proceed to offer more various positions
Allie
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title in return for an honest and thoughtful review. The following opinion contained herein is strictly my own. I was not compensated in any way.

This was a very fun little title to receive. In the current boon of adult coloring books, I found it a refreshing change. While I am sure it is geared more toward tweens and teens, I am sure that anyone would find it interesting.

It teaches you to draw, color and design Manga and Anime characters, and there are even crafts that
Tina
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I believe that you need to have some drawing experience when you buy this book. The book says that it will teach you how to draw manga but really it just a bunch of exercises that wants you to finish a pre-rendered body or face . I was really hoping that this book would teach me how to draw manga as really I can only draw what I look at. I have been looking for awhile for a book to teach me how to draw better but this is not the book for me. However if you enjoy finishing a pre-rendered image th ...more
Vik Arch
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is amazing… those little chibi, mini characters are adorable. Learn to draw and make stationary with Hart’s little cute panda, fluffy-tailed bunny, and others… Draw like a PRO! With cool techniques and cuddly characters you will be able to impress every person who sees your art.

Loved the book format designed to be your student notebook. Only issue with few halloweenish characters, everything else is amazing.

PS. Copied some characters to my art journal, and gave the book to my sis. I lo
Tabby Shiflett
3.5 Stars
A good choice for children and young adults who show an interest in Manga and drawing. Although the book includes guidance and simpler illustrations, some experience drawing would make it more helpful and useful to the reader. I love the animal pictures. My niece will absolutely love this book!

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
Tiffany Borys
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: art & manga fans
I found this manga art guidebook have a cute design with clear steps. I thought it was well put together and appreciated the extras included in the back of the book. The color usage in pleasing and creatively presented to the reader. My younger cousin who enjoys art and manga really enjoyed the guidebook and love the style of the art included.
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I received the ebook in exchange for an honest review on netgalley

People who know me for a long time already, know that I love drawing. I have one issue though. I find it very hard to draw people realistic or beautiful. Therefore this book seemed like a gift out of heaven... And it was! I was able to pick up some hints and the way I draw already improved. Now I am going to practice a bit more.
Jantine Kampes
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free copy through Netgalley, in return for an honest review.

'Doodletopia: Manga' gave me a wonderful opportunity to practise my drawing in a way I love: with Manga's. Even I managed to draw something cute with it!
Bianca
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-challenge
This is a very cute and good instruction book for manga drawing. Easily understandable and gives a great overview over the art scene. I really enjoyed the lightheartedness of the descriptions and was quite motivated to draw and doodle all day.

A digital copy was provided by NetGalley.
Liz H {Redd's Reads}
CeeMarie
Jul 20, 2016
Shumi
Nov 10, 2017

I started drawing character designs for a small animation studio in San Diego, California, when I was still in High School in Los Angeles. I used to drive 136 miles, each way, on the weekends, when I was 16, just for the opportunity to get paid to draw. Cartooning was a magical experience to me.

I graduated from