Start by marking “A Fine And Bitter Snow (Kate Shugak, #12)” as Want to Read:
A Fine And Bitter Snow (Kate Shugak, #12)

A Fine And Bitter Snow

(Kate Shugak #12)

Change never comes easy so when the news breaks that the new administration oil might be drilling for oil soon in a wildlife preserve in southeastern Alaska, home to P.I. Kate Shugak, battle lines are quickly drawn across the community. But for Kate, who hasn't been able to get back into her daily life ever since her lover's violent death a few months ago, it's a welcome r ...more
Published July 13th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine And Bitter Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine And Bitter Snow

Judy
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites in the series. It had all of the great Park characters, and we learned a few new things about some of them. Very good mystery, and plenty of sexual tension. Dana Stabenow can really tell a story.
Kelly ...
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I was very disappointed in books 9 & 10. I missed book 11. And I am so glad that in this book - book 12 - Kate is back where she belongs. She is at home in her Park. She is at home with Johnny. She is at home in her own skin.

What is good: Jim Chopin is growing as a character. He was almost cartoonish in some of the early books. He wasn't likable or intriguing. But in this book he becomes a person who is real and has both compassion and heart. I think he will become a character to love.

What i
Helen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This installment in the Kate Shugak series was a bit slow to develop and in some ways seemed more like a vehicle to advance the relationships Kate has with Chopper Jim and the young boy, Johnny, who has adopted her as his mother. But as always, Dana Stabenow gives you a great sense of place. This one is all about life in rural Alaska in the winter. And it does include another rescue by Mutt, Kate's half-wolf husky.
Jeff Dickison
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good Kate Shugak novel as she must investigate the killing of one her friends and the brutalization of another, all the while missing Jack and getting to know Jim Chopin better. I still have no idea where the title came from, but a very enjoyable story. Recommended.
Lukasz Pruski
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Falling snow toned a shout down to a murmur and then absorbed the murmur, imposing its own sweet, silent hush on a noisy world."

Dana Stabenow's A Fine and Bitter Snow, my first book by the author, almost gets thumbs-up from me. It is the twelfth installment in the 20-novel series that features Kate Shugak, an Aleut who lives in the "Park", a generic National Park in Alaska, and often happens to get involved with investigations of crimes. Ms. Stabenow, an Alaskan native, has a keen eye for the l
Clara Smith
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stabenow-dana
In my opinion, the best Kate Shugak novel so far.
Mike Finn
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
"A Fine And Bitter Snow" moves right along from "Singing For The Dead" continuing the "we're really a series now" feeling that has been there since "Hunter's Moon".

This book brings Kate back to the Park and gets her reinvolved with the regular cast of characters from the previous books. Kate is most fully herself in the Park. Seeing her in this environment shows how she has changed: her quite assumption that she can and should intervene in Park politics, the hole in her life where Jack used to b
Mary JL
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any Mystery reader
Recommended to Mary JL by: I ama fan of this author
Shelves: mystery-horror
The Kate Shugak mysteries are particular favorites of mine. The unique (to me, at least) settings of Alaska; the interesting cast of characters and Kate herself.

Kate is small, dilignet, skilled and feels it is her duty to protect the way of life in "The Park"--the federal wildlife preseve on which she lives.

Kate lacks one quality--finesse. She has to work hard to be even slightly subtle. She is beginning to round up allies to save the job of Park ranger Dan O'Brien, who is inivited by the new ad
Donna
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing saga of Kate Shugak; living in Denali National Park in Alaska; if you have read previous Shugak you know what has happened to her; she is now about 1 year out since the love of her life Jack was killed; the killers almost killed her; she has taken in Jack's son, Johnny. Now there is a murder and almost murder which brings in Jim Chopin, state Trooper. She and Jim both try to figure out the mystery in a close knit Park "family". I enjoy Kate's story, conflicts and struggles. Some roman ...more
Betty
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate is recovering from Jack Morgan's death and is back in the park. She learns that pressure has been put on the park ranger, Dan O'Brien to take early retirement as new government wants drill for oil and expand other activities in the area. Kate wants him to remain as the ranger and starts a movement to support him. Johnny is living with friend to prevent Kate being charged with kidnapping. Chopper Jim is involved in a murder investment. Dina and Ruthe are found beaten in their home. Dina is d ...more
Lynne
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a hard time putting down these books, once I start. They have a lot of forward momentum. I had figured out the culprit, but I wanted to see how Stabenow dealt with it. Mostly, I think she used it as a vehicle for setting up the Kate/Jim conflict. Will Chopper Jim hit one out of The Park? Stay tuned.
Amanda
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I just can't get enough of these books, might just have to read the rest of all of them so they stop distracting me from other books I am interested in reading.
TJ
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Little too much on the developing romance between kate and Jim. Just too much into their minds. Also seems to be reintroducing the characters and history. But over all a good read.
Marla Mutch
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
These keep getting better and better. Loving this series.
JPT
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Amy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Read this one hot on the heels of book 11, which is helpful since very little time elapses between the two books.

Another step in Kate's healing, and much to my surprise, despite screeching about a gut feeling I had about where Kate's storyline was going, I'm ok with it. (view spoiler)
Rebecca Stevens
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dana Stabenow, again captures the majesty of life of Alaska in winter. I fell in love with her characters. It was as if I was in the room with them: talking, reading, dancing, riding a snow machine, etc. Dana drew me into the complex relationships that exist between the Alaskan state government and the Native government that function within that state government. And the equally complex relationships all people share. A beautiful winged read.

Carol
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving it For The Characters

I thought about giving this one three stars. After all, the action didn't even get started until about 45%. But I love Kate, and I was interested in the issue of Ruthe and Dina. So I kept reading. Doesn't sound like a rousing case for four stars. But the story got better, and Kate was obviously in danger. And the ending won me over. So.... four stars!
Foster Winter
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay -- being a Northern Exposure uberfan, I'm a sucker for these Alaskan tales. Even though this one leaned a little bit toward Lassie saves the day (that shouldn't be a spoiler), I looked forward to getting into the story each time I picked up the book (well, kindle). And I'm looking forward to meeting Kate again in the next adventure.
Shauna
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kate is back, solving murders in the park. This entailed land wars and bequeathing.
Kaeeap
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Kate if finally taking the plunge with Jim Chopin oh, helps to solve 2 death mysteries too

Dina & Ruth, 2 former WASP pilots have been friends for years - 1 of them dies
Arizonagirl
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kate Shugak, book #12. A brutal murder brings Kate and Chopper Jim together. I really enjoy these books set in Alaska, an environment and lifestyle completely different than mine.
Bibliobabe
Another good entry in the series, reading like where the series is going.
David Weinfeld
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Another good Kate Shugak story. A bit complicated with various political efforts to re-arrange the ranger structure.
Margaret
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another chapter of Stabenow's wonderful saga of larger-than-life, life in the very far northwest.
Sheila
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Friends of Kate are murdered and a combat veteran is the number 1 suspect
Christine
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
always good plots & great descriptors
Sue Caulfield
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this series. Always a new twist and look at life in Alaska.
John
Read in 2001; still enjoyed book
Djrmel
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
It's been years since I read any of Stabenow's Kate Shugak books, and I honestly couldn't remember why I had stopped. I love a book with a strong sense of place and Stabenow knows how to transport her readers in the Alaska bush. Something else that she does remarkably well is to bring a first time reader up to speed on characters and past story lines without boring the series reader. I felt like I had never stepped away from Kate, conservation vs. tourism, the rights of indigenous peoples vs. th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Danamaniacs: A Fine and Bitter Snow *SPOILERS* 2 34 Jun 01, 2013 03:16PM

• Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • Old Scores (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Ravenmocker (Molly Bearpaw, #1)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • High Country (Anna Pigeon, #12)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.

Kate Shugak (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)