Start by marking “A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)” as Want to Read:
A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)

A Grave Denied

(Kate Shugak #13)

Everyone knew Len Dreyer, a handyman for hire in the Park near Niniltna, Alaska, but no one knew anything else about him. Even Kate Shugak, who was planning to ask him to help build a small second cabin on her property, knew him. But she, the Park's unofficial P.I., seems to have known less about him than anyone.

When Len Dreyer's body is discovered, frozen solid, in the
Published July 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Grave Denied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Grave Denied

Start your review of A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)
Yodamom
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Murder, nut jobs, evil men, first kisses and crispy homes in the Alaskan wild. Poor Kate, she has had a black cloud over her for the last several books and this one dumps some more on her. Johnny's mother must be dealt with, Ugg the witch ! Kate handles her like a boss, Woot Woot ! She nearly loses everything, even her much loved Mutt. A man the Park trusted has shown up dead, it a strange place with no obvious clues. Jim asks for her help, and while she's digging she finds out that they didn't ...more
Betty
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Kate Shugak books I had have read. On a visit to Grant's Glacier a high school class finds the body in the edge of the glacier. He was the handyman of the park Len Dreyer. He always worked for cash and there is no record in his name. Chopper Jim hires Kate to asked to explore his background. Johnny is now living with Kate. Johnny is determined he will not go back to his Mother and runs away. When Kate returns from finding her house is on fire. Bobby's bigot brother is ...more
Quinn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent mystery series. Kate Shugak works in a park in Alaska. Former social worker, now helps in investigations. She's not a hero and not always lovable. That makes the series interesting.
A local handyman, excellent at almost everything, is found dead in a glacier. Who killed him and why?

Then Kate's cabin is burned down--it's the cabin her father built, her parents lived in and she was born in. She's taking care of a former (and dead) lover's teenage boy, and is struggling to figure
Peter Tillman
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, mystery
From my 2004 booklog:
"A", solid effort, above average. Nice coming-of-age teenager stuff.
Mike Finn
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Grave Denied"A Grave Denied" is not quite as light-hearted as "Breakup" was (duh! It has the word Grave in the title) but it is more upbeat than any book from "Hunter's Moon" onwards.

Kate is no longer lost. She is coming back to herself and coming home. Of course, this being a Kate Shugak book, that turns out to have a great deal of trauma and risk associated with it.

The story revolves around the discovery that someone has shot dead a local handy man and hidden his body in a glacier. At the
Barbara ★
Kate Shugak is finally, finally over the loss of Jack Morgan (well sort of) when his son Johnny appears on her doorstep. Jack's dying request was for Kate to take care of Johnny so Kate is determined to do right by Johnny even if it means fighting is PITA mother, Jane for custody. I love how Kate knows her facts and uses them to the best advantage. The scene between Jane, Kate and Johnny was priceless.

Of course there is never just one thing going on in the park and one of them is always a
Deb
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books-read
A Grave Denied is another terrific installment in the Kate Shugak series. Kate's "ward" Johnnie Morgan and his classmates discover the frozen body of a long-time Park resident in a glacial cave. Jim Chopin asks Kate to help with the investigation, much to the jealous dismay of Dandy Mike, who's hoping to become Jim's assistant trooper. As in all the other books, a few more murders/attempted murders occur before Kate gets it all sorted out. What made this book standout for me was the inclusion of ...more
Permies.world
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I haven't really liked this series since the author killed off Jack. Everything is so much more sexual. It feels like a romance series with a mystery instead of a genuine mystery. It's just sad. The first half of the series was great. Unfortunately, the author fell prey to the trap of trying to stay mainstream, instead of what brought readers to her series in the first place. I'm done. The last two, were on the edge for me. I read this one and the next one and I'm just done. Disappointed. I ...more
Rebecca
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fic, mystery, inf_ra
For my first attempt in adult crime novels, this wasn't a bad start. Stabenow's descriptions of Alaska and the types of people who choose to live in the Alaskan wilderness was my favorite part. Also: Kate Shugak is kind of badass.

Despite this, I found this novel to be fairly underwhelming. The "mystery" seemed to happen to Kate--the reader was largely left out of the investigation and fact-finding and instead I was presented with information Kate already had. In a nutshell, I was expecting
Liz
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Kate Shugak series massively appealed to me. She is a moral, if not slightly damaged (aren't we all?!) Native Alaskan woman who solves mysteries around Alaska and has a wolf-dog roommate. I started reading them in Unalaska and continued in Dillingham and still think that anybody who wants to visit Alaska but can't afford the air-fare could get a pretty good tour, not to mention enjoying some well-crafted mystery, by reading these books.
George
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Another fine story in the Kate Shugak series. A body is found floating in glacial meltwater and a few more occur before Kate figures it out. The book has all the familiar characters, plus a few more. Chopper Jim's emotional outburst broke the cast I had in mind for him: intractable, inscrutable, solid cop...not so much. If I could choose a theme, it would be: "Alaskan winters can drive you nuts"...another fine portayal of Alaska's culture that us Outsiders just don't get.
Linda
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, fiction, alaska
Another true to form Kate Shugak mystery, including near death for Kate, perhaps new romance, lots of local color, great character development, as well as picturesque word paintings of the setting. I read later books in the series before this one and wondered about what had happened in the past. This book filled in a big gap in the chronology of Kate Shugak's life. This was a fun and engaging read, although not always fun for Kate.
Tony Hisgett
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, review
This is my favorite Kate Shugak story. In several of the previous books (e.g. The Singing of the Dead etc) the author seems to be trying to rely less on Kate as her main character. This is a mistake, as what makes this series different from many others, is Kate!
In this book the different elements of the story revolve around Kate and as a result the book is far more interesting.
Karen
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm enjoying these enough to keep reading them, but the romance is getting a little on the dubious-consent side and there's a bit too much rescuing the previously self-sufficient heroine in the last couple for my personal liking.
Cindy
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! When the local handyman is killed, Kate Shugak is hired to investigate the murder. In this close Park community, she quickly learns that no one really knew the man that worked in their midst. I could not put this one down as A Grave Denied
K
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Too much Kate And her potential romance with Jim Chopin and too little mystery solving. I found other Kate Shugak stories much more satisfying than this one.
JPT
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I've been burning through it at close to a book a day. They aren't long books, but the sense of place that the writer creates is amazing. The characters are well-rounded and they carry from one book to the others, something that not a lot of writers do. Great vocabulary.

I hate to say it though, but Ms. Stabenow has been getting sloppy. Occasional sentences that don't quite make sense as written, or are convoluted and need a 2nd or 3rd read. Typos, misused words: it's
Ape
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Pretty decent mystery tale of murder and intrigue, although there wasn't a particular theme of Alaska running through this one, in comparison to previous books. Perhaps coming this far into a series, there are only so many themes you can do, and now you have to rely more on mysterious plots and the characters and communities you've built up.

In this tale, it's Break Up again (spring time is coming, everything's melting) and a school trip to a glaciar sees a few kids making the gruesome discovery
Hope
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, ebook
Update 11-16-2018: This book is still AWESOME! I think reading them in order, back to back, makes each one fresh, a continuation of the previous, but not staid at all.

I really enjoy this series!
There is always so much mystery and intrigue and I really enjoy learning about life in Alaska and the characters in the park. :-)
Arizonagirl
phyllis j smith
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not disappointing!

Every story makes you want more! Dana Stabenow always knows how to pull you gently into her world of Kate. We are never disappointed.
Kaeeap
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love Kate Shugak, but she sure does get the shit beat out of her....
Andrew Kirkhouse
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have not read any if these books for a while , I have been missing out.
A very good read
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stabenow-dana
Liked the story, but way too wordy. Skipped the middle half!
Martha
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, e-book
A little too much of the kid, but otherwise a great entry in the series that shows the breath and the strength of Kate's community.
Amy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This might be the best of the series yet.
sherron blocher
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love Ms. Shugak

I would love to see Kate Shugak how made into weekly series.
I'm sure it would be a number one hit......
Sue Caulfield
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this series.
Bibliobabe
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the series. Love how kate is opening up more and the development of the characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Danamaniacs: A Grave Denied *SPOILERS* 1 7 May 08, 2013 08:38PM

• Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)
  • Swan Peak (Dave Robicheaux, #17)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Digger: The Complete Omnibus
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Ice Cold Heart (Monkeewrench, #10)
  • Pain (Alex Madison #2)
  • Christmas Sweets (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18.5)
  • The Great Leader
  • Moving Target (Rarities Unlimited, #1)
  • With a Vengeance (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #4)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.

Kate Shugak (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)