Start by marking “Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)

Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak #10)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,722 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Edgar Award winner Dana Stabenow has written nine atmospheric crime novels featuring the very prickly, very human Kate Shugak, but her novels also have a scene-stealing costar: Alaska, unforgiving, breathtaking, dangerous, and beautiful. Stabenow's evocation of this wilderness, combined with her talent for bringing characters to life and creating knuckle-whitening suspense ...more
Published May 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Come Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Come Again

Ace
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Shugak, as if she wasn't cute enough already, has this cute sidekick snow dog half wolfy creature that adores her to death. I started at book 10 in the series, Kate is a bit beaten down and still in shock from her last book, but it didn't seem to matter, I picked up the gist of things and went along with it. The crimes in question are good old fashioned nuclear weapons, chemicals and bad boy Russians. There is a recipe for success in whatever book you put them in! While I wait for volumes 1 ...more
Julie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've not reviewed any of the other fourteen Kate Shugak novels, simply because it would be redundant; however, for shear entertainment purposes, you cannot beat this series of novels.

Not only did I love the Kate Shugak character, I want to BE Kate Shugak. :-) She's tiny but mighty, and if you piss her off she'll kick your @$$ and take your $hit, and if she doesn't do it, her dog, Mutt, will.

These novels also gave me a desire to visit Alaska that I admit has been somewhat tempered by Caribou Bar
Kspeare
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
MIDNIGHT COME AGAIN was my introduction to Dana Stabenow and Kate Shugak. In this I was lucky, because earlier books in the series were out of print by then, and MCA was the earliest one on the shelf at Borders. It represents a turning point of sorts in Kate's life, so while I had to infer the backstory from what some readers would shun as spoilers for previous books, I could live with that.

Actually, I would have been able to live with it anyway. Nothing, including spoilers, can spoil a really
Peter Tillman
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites in the series. As in all good series, the richness & density build with each new episode in the heroine's life. Her friends are delightful, her family, umm, "interesting", her enemies believable. And the Alaska setting might be the best part. Dana Stabenow is a fine, conscientious writer and a helluva storyteller. Highly recommended.
Amy
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I can't believe that book 9 happened. I raced into this #10 after #9 ended with a cliffhanger ending. Having read this one, I now see that I should have seen it coming, and even though Im upset, its a bit easier having read the continuation. a LITTLE bit.

In this book, we spend more time with Chopper Jim, who hasn't had a lot of action in the past few books, so it was nice to get to know another "park rat". This one was a bit less of a "who-dunnit" so I can't really speak to if I figured it out -
Kristen
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, serial-mystery
Dana Stabenow does it again. In the 10th installment of the Kate Shugak series, this one is another winner. When Alaskan State Trooper Jim Chopin have been requested to track down Kate Shugak, who went MIA for a couple of months, after the loss of her boyfriend, Jack Morgan. Undercover, Jim finds her in Bering Alaska under an assumed name at a local air field. Both of them have twelve-hour shifts. And when midnight strikes again, that's when one takes over for the other. Things get dicey, when t ...more
Barbara ★
I just can't say enough about this series. I absolutely love Dana Stabenow's writing and her heroine Kate Shugak (and all the supporting characters too!). This one caught me by surprise and chapter one actually had me looking back at the cover to make sure I was reading the right book. An Alaskan original, Kare Shugak is one of a kind and lots of fun even when she isn't speaking to anyone. After the events of Hunter's Moon, Kate has lost her will to live and is hiding out in Bering Alaska workin ...more
Liz
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Kate Shugak series massively appealed to me. She is a moral, if not slightly damaged (aren't we all?!) Native Alaskan woman who solves mysteries around Alaska and has a wolf-dog roommate. I started reading them in Unalaska and continued in Dillingham and still think that anybody who wants to visit Alaska but can't afford the air-fare could get a pretty good tour, not to mention enjoying some well-crafted mystery, by reading these books.
Arizonagirl
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kate Shugak series, book #10. I had to give myself a break after reading book #9 but some time had passed and I needed a good book to take into the field with me. This did the trick. I was happy to visit with Kate again and glad to know she is doing okay. Now I'm ready for #11.
Amanda
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like these books and nothing like a bit of insomnia to help finish reading!
Susan Coley
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't we all have a piece of furniture like that coffee table? This one answered many questions about Kate's past.
Kathy
Carol
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited a long time to read this, still stinging from Jack's death. But I love Stabenow's writing and I love the setting - Alaska - which is practically the main character in this series. This one started slowly and we didn't even see Kate until more than 20% in. I was annoyed. But then it took off, and was spectacular! The plot was just comlicated enough and I grew to really love Jim. Of course, I still love Kate, and here she outdoes herself yet again. Yea Kate! And, by the way, this author k ...more
Cynthia Letts
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This storyline and its characters are no different than any other of the books in this series. But I like the development of Chopin. It must be fun, once enough flat characters are developed and at the ready, to allow one to pop-out and expand into someone that will influence the protagonist's actions.
Michelle Chenard
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a not very believable book about the theft of plutonium. Investigators thought that it was in Alaska but it turned out to be a smuggling ring.
Martha
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, own
I liked this one a lot. Especially liked spending more time with Chopper Jim.
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
...
Bonnie Terry
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Excellent world building. This was my 1st Kate Shugak book. Wish I had started with a book earlier on in the series. I felt like I missed out on a lot.
Christine
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Sad but still good.
Sandy Carmichael
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this woman's mysteries set in AK---good fast read
Mary Meiklejohn
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot: damaged women are super-sexy!! Ugh.
Bibliobabe
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A little too convenient how Jim finds Kate, but a good story nonetheless.
Sue Shipley
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Different slant for the first part of the book. Kate is back to herself by the end. She is one tough lady
Mike Finn
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Midnight Come Again" opens like a Tom Clancy novel with a rogue Russian military unit killing people in an armed robbery in Moscow.

It was well written and intriguing but it left me with one big question: where is Kate Shugak?

I'm fairly sure this is the reaction that Dana Stabenow expected me to have as this is the question the whole novel sets out to answer.

The events in most of this novel are not seen from Kate's point of view but from Jim Chopin's. Jim has been asking around the Park to see i
Randy Daugherty
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Grief, we all handle it differently.Jack Morgan is dead, the funeral has come and now his killers sit in jail awaiting trial having their home country of Germany decline to have them back.
The Park, has gone quiet, and all know why but none know how to fix it. Kate Shugak, former D.A. investigator, private p.i.,deck hand,hunting guide,and the heir apparent as the chief tribal leader is missing and none know where she has gone.
Her cabin sits empty, dust covering the shelves that are bare, somethin
Ape
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I am pleased that I am still reading this series, and in order - a first for me! This is book ten, so in reading it I've just hit the half way mark. It feels like a pivatal book, not just because of what happened in the previous book. It's moving the story, the characters and us on from that tragedy. I still think Jim Chopin is being manourvered into a different role for future books (the rest of the series will show if I'm right). I've picked up on hints in previous books, but it felt like a re ...more
Marlène
Une nouveauté dès le départ de ce tome, suite de Hunter's Moon qui introduisait de grands bouleversements dans la vie de l'héroine et la série en général. Un point de vue autre que celui de Kate Shugak, puisque les premiers chapitres s'ouvrent avec l'irrésistible Chopper Jim, Jim Chopin, le Park Ranger du parc national fictif créé par l'auteur.
Chopper Jim est embauché par le FBI pour démasquer une opération à Bering menée par des terroristes russes, alors qu'il est à la recherche de Kate, dispar
Susan K
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm in the midst of reading this, the 10th (I believe) book in a series of Kate Shugak stories. After getting my kindle (the BEST gift David has ever given me), I've spent some time rediscovering books/authors I've read earlier in my life. I've read a few of the Kate Shugak books before, but have now read them from first on... It's fun reconnecting with them with some of my new experiences (it's kinda cool to read about Alaska and think..HEY! I know where she's talking about).
Stabenow's series i
Mary JL
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone! Try the series it's great
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
An absolutely top-notch entry in Stabenow's Kate Shugak series. It has several extra pluses here. First, it takes place away from Kate and Jim's usual stomping grounds in Niniltna and The Park, so we get a new Alaskan city as a background--and Stabenow knows Alaska well!

Second, since Jim and Kate are both working incognito, they do not have the backing of all their usual clan of friends

Third, Stabenow cleverly shifts the point of view back and forth from Jim to Kate. Usually, we get mainly Kate'
Diane
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kate Shugak is missing. All of her friends and family are worried. She's never left without a word. State trooper Jim Chopin was setting off to look for her but got waylaid into an under cover job working with the FBI. Let me tell you the female FBI agent is an irritating bully who in my opinion wants to further her career but not really look at facts.

The job takes Jim to Bering, Alaska where to his surprise he finds Kate (sorry little spoiler) working under an assumed name. Basically she is hid
The Danamaniacs: Midnight Come Again *SPOILERS* 1 6 May 08, 2013 08:34PM
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Listen to the Silence
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Reservations for Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #2)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow

Kate Shugak (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $7.99 $1.99
“Who cares, anymore? Nobody believes anything politicians say. It’s not like they’re working for us, all they do after they get into office is run for reelection. Money, money, money, that’s all it’s about.” 1 likes