Start by marking “How to Meditate: A Practical Guide” as Want to Read:
How to Meditate: A Practical Guide

How to Meditate: A Practical Guide

What is meditation? Why practice it? Which techniques are best? How do I do it? The answers to these often-asked questions are contained in this down-to-earth book, making it of enormous value for anyone who wishes to begin and maintain a meditation practice. Written by a Western Buddhist nun with solid experience in both the practice and teaching of meditation, How to Med ...more
Published October 3rd 2005 by Wisdom Publications (first published March 25th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about How to Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Meditate

Meghan Oona
Jul 21, 2009 Meghan Oona rated it it was amazing
this is the 1st ever meditation book that i really engaged with. it's basic yet transformative in a very clear way. i first read it at age 16, and continue to use it, many years later :)
Lesandre
Apr 07, 2011 Lesandre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Don't be put off by the generic title...
This book is written with wonderful methods, visualization techniques, and explanation of fundamental philosophies. The Venerable Robina Courtin edited this, and the teachings of Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Lama Yeshe are apparent.
Gemma
Mar 01, 2012 Gemma rated it it was amazing
My favorite guide to the practice. Clear, written to make sense to Westerners.
Charmin
Jul 29, 2016 Charmin rated it really liked it
Highlights:
1. We have to accept our positivity as well as our negative traits, and determine to nourish the good and transform or eliminate the bad aspects of our character. Free ourselves from ignorance, self-cherishing, and all negative energy in order to help others.

2. The greatest benefit this life can bring is the chance for spiritual development, transformation of your mind. Any devotion we do cultivate will be appropriate and productive, not a waste of energy.

3. DEATH: How we live our lif
Dawn Lennon
Jan 03, 2016 Dawn Lennon rated it really liked it
It was wonderful to find a "how to" book that captured both concept and practice in a clear, process-based format. Yes, you read this book, learning how to meditate (the steps and practices) and why it's important to your health on so many levels.

What struck me was how McDonald, an American Buddhist nun, was able to communicate the precepts of meditation for everyone, no matter what their faith, spiritual level, or current "need" state. She explains the benefits of mediation in the context of o
Clara
Mar 24, 2013 Clara rated it liked it
This book does a good job of outlining the step-by-step process of basic meditation. Because its focus is Tibetan Buddhist meditation, it walks the reader through not only meditations on specific topics such as impermanence and equanimity (these are usually "antidotes" to specific issues such as attachment or anger), but deity-based meditations, such as meditations to Tara, "the Buddha of Enlightened Activity" and Avalokiteshvara, "the Buddha of Compassion." It also contains Tibetan Buddhist pra ...more
Julie
Sep 09, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
I might end up giving this a higher rating later - I only had it out from the library for 3 weeks, so didn't get to try a lot of the guided meditations, just read through some of them. Great as a resource for beginners like myself - very easy, encouraging, practical directions for seated meditation. She comes from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, but doesn't dwell too specifically on their exact techniques.
Deodand
Jun 20, 2008 Deodand rated it really liked it
I found this book on a search for exactly what it is - a book on what to do during meditation. It was a really tough, stressful time in my life, and I owe a lot to this book. I'm not a Buddhist, and most of the back of the book doesn't hold much meaning for me, but the front is so utterly helpful that I recommend this book to everyone, not just those looking to meditate. I continue to learn the lessons taught here about humility, patience and perspective.
Sister Dharma Gettin
Jun 27, 2015 Sister Dharma Gettin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"How to Meditate: A Practical Guide" is a must read for anyone who is interested in becoming the master of their own mind! It's down to earth language complements the book's easy to follow instructions and clear, understandable explanations. A comprehensive manual for the beginner meditator, and likewise, extremely valuable for the experienced, as well. Upon reading, this book will quickly become and essential title in your spiritual library.
Jinpa
Apr 17, 2013 Jinpa rated it liked it
This book is very good, and I recommend it to most people I meet who are interested in meditation. My only concern is that it covers a wide range of meditations rather quickly. Volumes could be written on each method the author mentions, however she does a great job in presenting the material. I quite enjoyed this book!
Sabio
Jul 15, 2007 Sabio rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Meditation is not Meditation is not Meditation.

There are lots of techniques and they have different effects on different minds.
This book discusses many methods.
It is said that due to the variety of techniques and variety of minds, it is best to have a teacher help you choose suitable techniques.
Carrieanne grucz
Apr 16, 2008 Carrieanne grucz rated it really liked it
Aside from the actual how to meditate part, I thought this book had some really smart philosophies or things to think about without sounding too new agey, or sound of one hand clappingy.
I did however skip the last chapters which included drawings of different buddahs, and different chants, or offerings to make to them.
Lindsay
May 29, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I often come back to this book and read over different techniques/sections before I start a session. It is choc-loaded with detail and always helps me overcome my mind. Well done Kathleen, we can all learn something from your powerful book *blinking smiley face*
Nasheer
Jun 05, 2012 Nasheer rated it liked it
What to write? What not written is lot more to comprehend. The path ahead is tough

Al
Dec 27, 2007 Al rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-buddhism
A clear primer on meditation based mostly in the Tibetan tradition.
Aurélie
A well-thought and very practical book about meditation.
Mike
Aug 19, 2015 Mike rated it liked it
okay book
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Ramona Schwarz
Ramona Schwarz rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Satendra Kumar
Satendra Kumar rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Carole Young
Carole Young rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Isidro López
Isidro López rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Eduardo
Eduardo rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2017
Shannon Jewel
Shannon Jewel rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
W M
W M rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Tom Dean
Tom Dean rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Heather King
Heather King rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Guruprasad K
Guruprasad K rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2017
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • How to Meditate with Pema Chodron: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom