Start by marking “Incomparable” as Want to Read:
Incomparable

Incomparable

God Most High. The LORD. I Am. YHWH. Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Maker of heaven and earth.

Andrew Wilson explores 60 names and descriptions of the one true God, weaving profound biblical insight into each short chapter, and so unfolding the greatest subject our minds and hearts can ever contemplate.

Endorsements

"Reading this is like sucking in lungfuls of mountain ai

Published June 4th 2007 by Kingsway Publications

To ask other readers questions about Incomparable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incomparable

Fearghal Kelly
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Christian book I ever read. I was recommended it being told, "This will fuel your worship."
It certainly did.
Reading it gave me a much clearer, broader, awe-inspired view of who God is and what He is like. I wouldn't hesitate to say that it lay the foundation of how I view God that still shapes how I see Him today.
Andrew Wilson explores God's character, names, Trinity and attributes in short, easy to read, and enjoyable chapters. Each chapter can be easily read in a matter of m
Rachel Wilson
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sorry ... that was probably quite predictible but genuinely a good read!
Brandon Wilkins
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good study of the doctrine of God. It is fairly comprehensive covering theological topics like: the being of God, the names of God, the doctrine of the Trinity, and the attributes of God.

What I LOVE about this book is its ability to discuss theological realities in a way that is down to earth and not arid or doctrinaire; you feel like you have read a book and not studied a math equation or analytic philosophy after reading this. You don't have to be a genius or have a preconceive
Paul Weaver
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I am always interested in reading and obtaining more knowledge and understanding about the identity and the character of God. I want to know Him. I was captivated by the title of this book, Incomparable; Explorations in the Character of God.

This book left me somewhat disappointed. The author didn't go far in his exploration of the topic. He would get to a point once the surface was scratched and he begins using word such as impossible, difficult, hard to understand. I will agree that one will ne
Benjamin
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On the back cover, Tim Hughes describes this book with the following words: "Bite-sized chunks of great theology that will inform the mind and inspire the heart to worship."

There really couldn't be a better, shorter, and more accurate review. Andrew Wilson doesn't go deep, yet he goes wide. In around 50 chapters with only 2-4 pages each, he gives the reader an easy to understand and yet very inspiring and often practical glimpse into a great variety of attributes and names of God.
David Howard
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Regularly I would be reading this and have to stop to praise God - you just can't help it! Now, glory to God for being amazing enough to praise like this - but this book will set it out for you simply and in nice chunks. Read it now and get a small ( but still amazing ) peek at how great God Is.
Eilidh
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Ideal small chapters to use as a daily devotional, jam packed with amazing truths about God. Highly recommend. Great encouragement and helps create an Awe of God in your heart as you read!
Tom Robson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful short sections on the character and nature of the God of the Bible
Joe
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really struggled with this book. At times, there were some great thoughts. However, so much of the book seemed to be little "challenges" for those who can't hold their attention to a topic for more than four pages, and thus came across (to me, at least) as very shallow. The basic premise is great, and I really wanted to like this book. Sadly, I cannot. If it is a blessing to you, feel free to ignore my opinion - I will not claim infallibility! There just are too many better books that I would ...more
RuthAnn
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith, nonfiction
Would recommend: Yes

I read this book about the character of God with a friend, and I was impressed by how the author managed to write 60 (!!!) thought-provoking essays on what could become tiresome. I can imagine referring back to this book in the future as different concepts resonate with me at different parts of my life.
Jules
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A really great book. It takes a thorough look at who God is and serves it out in bite-sized chunks. I really appreciated the fact that he pointed the way to other resources if a particular attribute tickles your interest. Well written and needful in the church today.
Dean
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is an excellent book and is highly recommended. The book is divided into small chapters of around 4 pages. Each chapter focused upon a particular character of God. I used this book as part of my daily devotional. I found it thought-provoking and helpful.
Hannekeverhorst
Dec 03, 2009 is currently reading it
Good stuff!
Joy Deane
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encouraging, inspiring and Biblical meditations on the nature and character of God.
Ezra
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. The short sharp chapters make it extremely easy to read. Helped draw my attention to previously un-thought-of facets of God's character.
Dave
Apr 24, 2008 added it
It reads like some one took Wayne Grudens book and paraphrased each point or chapter.
David
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it, but not as good as other character of God studies I've read. The author thinks outside the box and talks about attributes we don't normally think of.
Matthew Mallett
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simply excellent exploration of the breadth & depth of the person of God. Easily accessible in "bite-sized" chunks. Would recommend to anyone.
Tuuli Platner
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Every chapter was really well-written, mind-opening and faith-building. Easy to read - I did a chapter a day and it worked great.
Victawreea
Dec 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Storylines: Your Map to Understanding the Bible
  • The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths
  • Praying for Your Elephant: Boldly Approaching Jesus with Radical and Audacious Prayer
  • The Final Days of Jesus: The Most Important Week of the Most Important Person Who Ever Lived
  • The Bumps Are What You Climb on: Encouragement for Difficult Days
  • Everyday Church: Gospel Communities on Mission
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness–Light for the Path
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • The Crescent Through the Eyes of the Cross: Insights from an Arab Christian
  • Sovereign Grace
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Finishing Our Course with Joy: Guidance from God for Engaging with Our Aging
Andrew Wilson holds degrees in theology from Cambridge University and London School of Theology. His passion is to communicate the extraordinary truths of God. Andrew teaches internationally and is a deacon at Kings Church Eastbourne in the United Kingdom, where he leads training and development. He is also the author of Deluded by Dawkins.
“The difference between God’s being and ours is more than the difference between the sun and a candle, more than the difference between the ocean and a raindrop, more than the difference between the arctic ice cap and a snow flake, more than the difference between the universe and the room we are sitting in: God’s being is qualitatively different. No limitation or imperfection in creation should be projected on to our thought of God. He is the creator; all else is creaturely. All else can pass away in an instant; he necessarily exists forever.” 2 likes
“God our Father is desperately compassionate toward us, despite our sins.” 1 likes