Start by marking “A Shadow's Bliss (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Shadow's Bliss (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #4)

A Shadow's Bliss (The Tales of the Jewelled Men #4)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  184 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The fourth volume of Veryan's beloved Georgian series continues with a most unlikely hero. Young Jack is known to all as a cowardly idiot, a mere shadow of a man with a shady past. But when the woman he loves is threatened by the sinister League of the Jewelled Men, Jack reveals the man behind the shadow.
Mass Market Paperback, Fawcett Crest, 309 pages
Published April 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Shadow's Bliss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shadow's Bliss

Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amnesia
Oh my goodness, this book has everything to keep a reader reading well into the wee hours. Cornwall and its superstitious folk, mysterious evil doings at an old mine, and the broader evil doings of the mysterious league of Jewelled Men and their treasonous plotting. The heroine is perfect, very sweet, but with a lot of spunk when it's needed and the hero - what an awesome twist starting him out with a memory loss and ending up as the village 'idiot' who can never aspire to anything with his belo ...more
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
For years, if I could locate a historical romance by Patricia Veryan at a reasonable price, I would grab it. Little did I know they would be so hard to find. Early on, I had made the mistake of reading one of her books, loving it, but realized I was missing out because it was part of a series. As of now, most of her stories are available on Kindle but at $7.99 per story. Ridiculous, I say! I recommend if you have a public library to start there; many of these institutions can order from other
My favorite of the series yet! The adventure is always a solid four starts or more in these books, and the romance is usually not far behind, but this book everything was just how it like it! The only complaint I could make would be about their adventure down the cliff side which you must suspended disbelief for. Set in Cornwall there are many superstitions mentioned, thought to be true and beloved to happen in the book by characters, however every thing has a logical conclusion.

I was really lo
Diane Lynn
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying this series so much that when I have to wait for the next one to become available, it bugs me to death! This one was very exciting. And such great characters, some new and some recurring.
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I will admit, this is not one of my favorites when it comes to Veryan, but she is so much better than any other writer, so it still gets five stars.
Okay, on with the review. Jack is the village idiot. (Or so everyone says.) Jennifer is the sweet, kind, caring daughter of a lord (who is incidentaly the head of said village). These are the main characters. And they make some pretty good ones. Not Veryan's best...but like I said before, way better than pretty much anything else.
This is the fourth
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome part of series.

The love story reminded me of Marietta: A Maid of Venice by Francis Marion Crawford. Sweet, heartwarming love of two pure hearts.
The lady from the castle threw her arms about the neck of the village idiot, and there was no doubt as to her answer.

The mystery, adventure was again 'gluing' me to the book ;-) Like Morris said: Faith, but 'tis a busy life we lead! - and it is fantastic to take part in their adventures.

What new was in this part of series it was, of cours
This is my favourite book of the series up to now.
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Main characters are Miss Jennifer Britewell and 'Crazy Jack', who turns out to be (view spoiler)
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I recently re-read "A Shadow's Bliss," and appreciated yet again how very talented a storyteller Veryan is. is dated and corny. Yes...Jack's suffering for his Code of Honour is a little over-the-top, but it is such an incredibly sweet and romantic story that you just don't care!

Veryan's ability to populate her settings with fully realized characters just takes your breath away. You get a real sense of place and time, and both Jennifer and 'Crazy Jack' are vividly drawn and completely be
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly written 4th book in the series with a nail biting last few chapters. The characters from the previous books are played down and the focus is on Crazy Jack and the lady of the manor - Jennifer. With its unusual setting in Cornwall, off-beat characters, and multiple layers of plot, this makes for an exciting and interesting read.

End felt a bit rushed...

Great book and - no need to have read the previous books in this series to follow this one.

May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good.
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story twists to a brilliant tale written by a brilliant author.
Claire Haeg
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
A easy to read romantic novel that's not complete crap. Hooray for Veryan.
Lena Goldfinch
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
Excellent, very different, but I didn't realize it was part of a series, so was surprised at some threads left hanging. Will have to read the next in the series... :)
Jan 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lady Whilton's Wedding
  • Winter Wedding
  • Kisses to Remember
  • Playing the Jack (Historical Duo, #1)
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • The Gypsy Heiress
  • Far From Over (Breaking Out Series)
  • His Lordship's Pleasure (Bad Husbands, #2)
  • Thief of Dreams
  • Lighted Windows
  • Off Limits
  • Summer Campaign
  • Intimate Enemies
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • September Moon
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Long Masquerade
Patricia Veryan was born in London and moved to the United States after the Second World War; she now lives on the West Coast and is the author of many historical novels.
More about Patricia Veryan...

The Tales of the Jewelled Men (6 books)
  • Time's Fool (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #1)
  • Had We Never Loved (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #2)
  • Ask Me No Questions (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #3)
  • Never Doubt I Love (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #5)
  • The Mandarin of Mayfair (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #6)