Start by marking “The Wagered Widow” as Want to Read:
The Wagered Widow

The Wagered Widow

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
HE INSISTED ON TREATING HER LIKE A TROLLOP'

...and Rebecca Parrish, a most respectable young widow, found him utterly odious. What right had this supercilious rake, Trevelyan de Villars, to incessantly force his attentions on her? Rebecca far preferred Trevelyan's charming friend, the noble Sir Peter Ward. Indeed, her dreams of handsome Sir Peter aimed straight for the alta
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published July 12th 1985 by Fawcett (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Wagered Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wagered Widow

Caz
Although I’ve been aware of Patricia Veryan for a number of years, up until recently, her books were out of print and the only way to obtain them was to find rather tatty second-hand paperbacks. Fortunately, many of her books have now been made available digitally, meaning that I was able to make her my “new to me author” for February’s TBR Challenge prompt.

I’ve often seen her work likened to Georgette Heyer’s, and although I think that Heyer fans are likely to enjoy Ms. Veryan’s books, they are
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
I give only the four stars because I need some way to show which books by Veryan I like even better. But compared to most other books, especially romances, this would be a five star book. (Two days later: had to change it to five stars, sorry. I keep thinking about it, and just cannot leave it at four.)

I found myself reluctant reading anything new after finishing a truly glorious re-listen of one of my favorite audiobooks. I wanted to be sure that the next read would be satisfying, if not in the
Rebekah
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-2016
One of the prequels to her outstanding romantic adventure series, The Golden Chronicles, this is one of the books I would recommend to any who wanted to try a Patricia Veryan for the first time. The heroine is delightful and a very well rounded character. The hero is (supposedly) a cad but with a heart of gold and good with children. It is a nice mix of country and city, adventure and social comedy, and is one of her funniest books. Not to mention, it introduces numerous characters one will meet ...more
Natalie
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Sometimes I really just need a fluffy romance book. This is one I found on the Clean Romances group, and it was really fluffy. This is a historical Romance, set in early Georgian times in England (that's about 1747 or so). It has a fun heroine, and interesting relationships. There were a few historical points that were referenced, but as good historical meat goes it is lacking (but I DID say I was in the mood for a fluffy romance book. The historical part is just background really. . .)

Now, this
Deborah
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK! Fun, flirty, exciting, and clean. I just really enjoyed this one. I loved how it all turned out and I loved turning each page to find out what was going to happen. I can always tell if it's a five star book if I go back and read my favorite parts...well, I did just that with this book. I LOVED the ending!!! Great bookclub book Ash!!
Jane
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.50 stars - pg13?
Taramom22
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually like regency more than this period (Georgian?) with big skirts and powdered hair. But this was so cute and funny and well written that I loved it. I am sure this will be a book I reread.
Kathy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Such fun to read! Definitely a favorite!
Patrizia
Fin oltre la metà, ho letto questo libro in un leggero stato di euforia: le risate irrefrenabili suscitate da alcune scene mi davano l'idea di avere in mano una nuova Heyer, il che avrebbe improvvisamente raddoppiato le mie future aspettative di letture gradevoli ed esilaranti. Ma i toni melodrammatici ('fustian', per usare un'espressione cara alla equilibrata e ironica Georgette) con i quali la storia inopinatamente si chiude, con un lieto fine che somiglia al 'salvi tutti!' di un vecchio gioco ...more
Opal
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When one reads a lot of historical romances, some recurring themes become boring. You expect certain things to happen in the plot. Characters start seeming similar.

This book is the most refreshing book I've read in a while. The characters - Rebecca ( the widow in question), her aunt, brother, and her potential beaus are all well-drawn. You actually like and sympathize with all of them. There is no real 'villian'.

The story is very simple in its basic premise. Rebecca Parish has thrown off her b
Emily
Feb 20, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF 20/02/17
Bounced off this one - the rather stylised writing style didn't work for me, despite its shades of Heyer, and even though I wanted to like the characters they were just a bit stiffly-drawn.
Jenny
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
So.... I found this on an "If you like, then you'd like..." post on a blog. A huge list given by commentors listed Patricia Veryan multiple times as THE clean romance author to read. And this particular title was mentioned at least twice. When I went onto Amazon, there were only 5 star ratings, nothing lower, so I shrugged my shoulders and got it.

Here's the thing. Her writing seems very authentic. The time period, the history, the clothes, those awful powdered wigs. But, it seems so boring. Noth
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This was an old-school regency read (actually its not technically a “regency” time period, but close enough) and it took me a little bit to get used to the cadence of the writing. I had to look up a few of the terms Veryan used, but overall it was pretty easy to get into and understand. I really enjoyed the plot; it reminded me a lot of Pride and Prejudice, but with a lot more flirting and a very charming leading man. I typically don’t care for the “rake” character. I don’t think a guy who has h ...more
Lady Salford
A nice light read with endearing characters whom I grew to love. However, I'm not a fan of the Jacobite rebellion and I'm not sure whether I want to read the series that this book was a prequel to. Plus, De Villers won't be in them at all when I had thought it would be about him. No real incentive to read the next books in the series.
Jenna
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I only have one complaint about this book and that was that it took me 3 days to get through the first chapter. However, that was likely due to my inability to focus! Once I got past that part I fell in love with this book. It was so much fun!! Thank you for picking it for book club Ashley. I'm going to have to buy my own copy of this one because I will definitely want to read it again.
Heidi
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. I'm not necessarily a big regency romance fan, but this book was a lot of fun and made me want to keep reading to find out how things would end. I would have prefered a bit more action and relationship development, but overall, I had a lot of fun reading this one!
Lauren
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This was the one Veryan book I always wanted to read and never actually found. Now, tacking it on 20+ years after the rest, I wasn't entirely enthralled. Too many similarities to the plots of other of her books. That should probably be taken out on the later ones, but oh well.
Tami
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I very much liked this - read this many years ago, but it made me smile and sigh and I re-read it like three times.
Leslie
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
Excellent prequel to the Jeweled Men series. I'd forgotten what a rascal Treve was.
Jaimey
Actually Georgian, not Regency. I found this story quite amusing at times. :o)
Robin
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it

Good fun.
Susannah Noel
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
She's my favorite romance writer still, and this is one of my favorites of hers! Just delightful in every way.
Leslie
Jan 25, 2013
  • The Counterfeit Husband
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Pirate And The Puritan
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • Miss Westlake's Windfall
  • Merlin's Keep
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • Playing the Jack (Historical Duo, #1)
  • Winter Wedding
  • A Child of the Revolution
  • Quadrille
  • Fair Game
Patricia Veryan was born in London and moved to the United States after the Second World War; she now lives on the West Coast and is the author of many historical novels.
More about Patricia Veryan