Start by marking “How to Catch a Leprechaun” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Leprechaun

How to Catch a Leprechaun

You've been planning night and day, and finally you've created the perfect trap! Now all you need to do is wait. Is this the year you'll finally catch the leprechaun? Start a St. Patrick's Day tradition with this fun and lively children's book.

How to catch a leprechaun?
It's tougher than you think!
He'll turn your whole house upside down.
He's quicker than a wink!
Published February 2nd 2016 by Sourcebooks Wonderland

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Leprechaun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch a Leprechaun

Start your review of How to Catch a Leprechaun
Calista
The art is bright and vibrant. It jumps off the page at you.

This book needs to be renamed to How not to catch a Leprechaun. Nothing they did worked. The Leprechaun is sneaky. So, once a year he likes to enter people's houses simply to avoid traps. It's an entertaining story. The kids loved this one. They laughed their way through it.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This one will give the kids ideas on how to make a mess! I love the fun in reading this though.
Temi Panayotova
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Only 32 pages, it was very cool :)
Mr. Cody
Black, White, Latin, Asian- Kids of all nations want nothing more than to CATCH THAT LEPRECHAUN! #irishpride (#notirish, #honoraryirish)
Michelle
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
STEAM combined with Saint Patrick's Day. Love it!
Kendall
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Im a bit behind for St. Patricks Day but this story was cute, rhyming and clever. The illustrations were colorful and lively and the story is fun for all children and adults alike. I could see this being read in a classroom and kids being asked to come up with their own traps for catching a leprechaun-drawing, building, etc. or something fun for kids to do now while in the midst of home lockdowns...you could use crayons, play doh, building blocks, items around the house...a cute read for St. ...more
Erin Cataldi
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Wallace, Adam. How to Catch a Leprechaun. 1 CD. unabridged. 6 min. Dreamscape Media. ISBN 9781520063416.

The bestselling creators of the holiday classic, How to Catch an Elf, are back with another adorable book to delight children and families. Perfect for St. Patrick's Day or just general laughs, How to Catch a Leprechaun, will inspire children to get creative and build the best "leprechaun traps" they can invent. A naughty leprechaun taunts the reader on every page that the traps set out by
Andrew
I've fallen hard for Adam Wallace and his 'How to Catch' series of picture books. Perfect recommendation for read aloud, storytime and for teachers to use to instill S.T.E.M. or S.T.E.A.M. for creative thinking;
Told through rhyme and colorful illustrations, a clever leprechaun is not impressed by the traps laid out by kids and even the grown up's who try to catch him, and the book keeps the reader guessing, will they catch him? Can they catch him?

The book offers up a lot of ideas for rube
VillaPark Public Library
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun, rhyming book that that follows the attempts of children and their families to construct traps for catching a leprechaun. The whole town seems to be in on the fun, but will they succeed? Bright colorful illustrations, coupled with silly situations, make this a fun and engaging read.

Check this book out from the Villa Park Public Library!
Lara
The title is a little misleading - they never do catch the leprechaun, but there are plenty of ideas on how to try! Not exceptional or truly classic, but for a younger audience at a St. Patrick's Day storytime, this fits the bill. So many St Patrick's day picture books are longer, harder to keep a larger audience of young ones focused. This one is short, has a lot of silly details in the pictures, and the rhymes flow fairly well. I'll definitely be using it again for storytimes in the future.
Linda Gibbons
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read that will surely get kids thinking about the perfect leprechaun trap!
Sarah Wiwchar
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-Grade 1
Shelves: read-with-kids
Really liked this as a follow-up to the book we read last week. Read with PreK and Kindergarten.
AMY
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-1
This is a neat little book where the author follows the trail of a leprechaun to see how the kids are doing in their attempt to trap him. The illustrations are colorful and fun. Kids will enjoy this one. Recommended for Grades K-1.
Lynda
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Fun little book about childrens creative homemade traps to catch a leprechaun. ...more
Holly
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is so cute! My son loved the drawings and me explaining how the Leprechaun escaped all the traps the kids made! This book is definitely going into my sons little library so we have it on hand to read and read again.
Kate
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book. I liked the story. It would be a fun book to read aloud!
Malissa
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
You're a kid on a mission, an all consuming mission for one day a year. That mission....Catch a Leprechaun. They're wily, they're sneaky, they're pranksters, and they are determined to not be caught!

How to Catch a Leprechaun is a holiday book full of fun and laughs. I recently read it to a room of girls (ages 6-9) and they all thought it was the funniest book ever. They laughed out loud, especially when that clever leprechaun turns the toilet green. They shouted out when they realized that the
Chelsea Smith
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This story is a very engaging story that is written in prose. This book is a book I read during Saint Patricks day in conjunction with a STEM activity to add to the story's plot. Throughout this story the students are shown different ways that kids have tried to catch the leprechaun but have been unsuccessful each time. In the illustrations you can see many intricate designs and many different strategies that each child used. This leads to multiple discussions on how they tried and why they were ...more
Autumn
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We received this book to give an honest review.
LOVE, LOVE,LOVE this story of how to catch a leprechaun.
I read this to both K and A at different times. A being three liked to find the leprechaun that was avoiding being captured and thought the pictures were cool.
K read this book to me and couldn't believe all the traps that the kids were putting in place. He thought it was funny when the leprechaun took care of the smelly shoes. This book is a great story to read whenever but it is perfect for
Savannah
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bonnie
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Another fun "How to Catch a..." series by the author and illustrator. My son said though the title is misleading because they don't tell how to catch the leprechaun they show all the different ways the leprechaun escapes the many different traps kids set up. I have a full review on my blog.

*I received a copy of this book from Raincoast Books in order to facilitate a review*
April
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-reads
Read this cute little St. Patrick's Day book with the kinders today. It is told from the leprechaun's point of view as he nimbly avoids all the traps that are set for him. It rhymes and has vivid illustrations. I would highly recommend to everyone who has small children or a classroom to read for the holiday.
Sheri
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I would recommend to read the elementary class on St. Patrick's Day. It shows how the characters plan to catch the leprechaun after he leaves messes for them after their traps to catch him do not work. This would be a good story starter or prompt for kids to write their own ideas for catching a leprechaun and finding his pot of gold. Colorful and fun illustrations.
Brittany
It was harder than I thought to find a book for St. Patrick's Day that was kind of what I was looking for. This book introduced leprechauns to Alistair (almost 2.5) and had rhyming text about kids trying to catch the leprechaun. I didn't love it but it was good enough for this year. Next year I want to find something I like better.
Sheri S.
My youngest child (age 5) was really into leprechauns this past St. Patrick's Day. This book was a great follow-up to having created her own leprechaun traps at school and at home. I think this would be a fun book to read to a preschool and/or kindergarten class.
Jodie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picked up the How to Catch an Elf book for the kiddos back during the holidays and it was a big hit. I was looking for a fun way to celebrate St Patrick's Day with them, so I picked this one up. I liked How to Catch an Elf a bit better, but still very cute.
Rachel Grover
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute! Perfect for an elementary library with a maker focus. The illustrations really bring the story to life, and the rhyming lines on each page make it extra sweet. Would love to see others in the series. Will not purchase for my MS library, but this would be a welcome addition to any ES library.
Cara Noyes
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable rhyming book for kids. It will be wonderful to use next year for my kindergarten students. I also should recommend it to Christie DeVore when she has her students build leprechaun traps.
Adrienne
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are not many st. patrick's day books that are fun for kids, but this one is really good for storytime. With the use of rhyming text the author gives the readers pointers on how to catch a leprechaun.
Miss Sarah
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
different' scenarios of children's trying to catch a leprechaun while in their house. Sometimes hard to follow as you don't see much of the actual leprechaun. Some good St Patrick's day activities mentioned.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Night Before St. Patrick's Day
  • Pete the Cat: The Great Leprechaun Chase
  • 50 Below Zero
  • Crankenstein
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Love Monster
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Hey, That's MY Monster!
  • Bats at the Library
  • Snail Crossing
  • Love, Z
  • Are You My Monster? (I Need My Monster)
  • Little Pea
  • Ten Lucky Leprechauns
  • I Need My Monster
  • Llama Llama Loves to Read
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
Adam Wallace is a Three time New York Times Bestselling author and cartoonist who loves writing and drawing ... this is lucky ... because he's an author and cartoonist who writes and draws!
Adam's passion is to bring excitement and energy and humour and joy to children (of all ages!) through his books and videos.
He spends his non-writing time thinking about writing and going to as many live music

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...