Start by marking “The Liberty Box (The Liberty Box, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Liberty Box (The Liberty Box, #1)

The Liberty Box

(The Liberty Box #1)

Kate Brandeis has it all: a famous reporter at the age of twenty-four, she's the face of the Republic of the Americas. She has a loving fiancee and all the success she could wish for. But when she learns of the death of a long-forgotten friend, her investigations unravel her perfect memories, forcing her to face the fact that she's been living a lie.

Jackson MacNamera, trai
ebook, First Edition, 334 pages
Published October 24th 2015 by Wanderlust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Liberty Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liberty Box

Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
A dystopian that starts to bridge the gap between YA and adult fiction, The Liberty Box has a chillingly realistic premise.

“Is it better to be deceived and happy than to know the truth?”

In short, the concept is that the future America controls its population through the use of medication and brain waves. Based on the current economy and technological advances, this seems just a few steps away from being possible. With my love for speculative fiction, this is right up my alley!

The Liberty Box ope
Joseph
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ya
I generally read non-fiction, however, when I do read fiction I look at it as a carrier for real world issues and problems. The Liberty Box, although taking place in some future time, does seem to play on some underlying present day fears. The star rating of this book reflects how I would have viewed this book as a Young Adult reader.

____________________________________________

The Liberty Box by C.A. Gray is the first book of author’s second series of books. The first trilogy took the reader ba
Dianne
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The tyranny of the Potentate is crushing both the spirit and the lives of the people. Two unlikely allies join forces to help raise the ire of the people to stand up for their rights and offering freedom to those who have the spine to fight for it. Rescuing citizens is dangerous, deadly and an almost insurmountable quest as a band of determined rebels fight the political machine of dictatorship in the Republic of the Americas.

Kate thought she had the nearly perfect life, a young and successful r
Lindsey
(Source: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

I was ecstatic when I received an ARC of this book from the author. I've been looking forward to reading a new book from her since I finished the Piercing the Veil series, and The Liberty Box did not disappoint.

After the United States falls due to an economic collapse, it's rebuilt as the Republic, and citizens soon believe they are prosperous once again. Jackson has lived in Iceland with his aunt and uncl
Maryam
Jul 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review)

“Together, we shall create the world’s very first utopia” by brainwashing malnourished citizens, who are living in crumbling homes, into believing that they are living in prosperity? And on top of that, making them believe that they are being led by the greatest potentate?
description

This ‘utopia’ was formerly the United States, but an economic collapse threw the country into mayhem. Under the rule of Benjamin Voltini and his immoral strategi
Rayleigh
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It's hard to see the truth when you're constantly bombarded with the false." -The Liberty Box

Believing the truth is often hard enough, but what if it's your own eyes that are lying to you?

The Liberty Box is the perfect combination of adrenaline, wit, humor, and surprises. Everything about this book never once lost my interest, not in the perfectly paced and detailed action, not in the slower scenes that let us catch our breath and think, and certainly not in the plot that was so full of twists.
Emris Lindsay
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Conspiracy that engulfs a whole country, where execution of innocent civilians is the norm under the guise as traitors to the potentate. What a controlling greedy narcissist government. Deceiving and brainwashing the populous into doing things their way, while they are being robbed of their humanity. An intensely interesting and exciting read filled with intrigue and fear. A well-blended storyline with a great bunch of characters although the Potentate/Dictator and his goons/Tribunal are a bun ...more
iamnotabookworm
And just like that, October is gone. November is here and that means December is just around the corner. Time flies so fast. I can still remember going crazy with worry about what the year would be like for me. I'm so glad and relieved that I'm way past that. I'm happy to be tired but productive. Not bone-tired worrying but rather tired after a day's work. I could say, I'm at a way better place where I am now. I'm so thankful and I am going to do my best to stay where I'm at.

This book is anothe
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dystopian + Science fans
Note: I received a free copy of this book from C.A. Grey in exchange for my honest review.

Rating: 3.5 stars

The book starts off with the collapse of the American economy and the subsequent descent into chaos. Voltolini is an interesting character, smart and evil in equal measures. I enjoyed seeing the contrast between the prologue and the true start of the story. There's some very fast world-building here but it does serve to orient the reader.

I'll start with the things I didn't like and then m
Book Club Mom
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Imagine a society in which the government takes over its people’s thoughts, making them believe they are prosperous. Only an outsider can see the truth: an evil Potentate has formed a deviant New Republic in which its people are actually destitute and powerless. In The Liberty Box, a devastating economic collapse in America has led to this dystopian society. After the collapse, angry citizens turned to riots and looting and a police state resulted. Benjamin Voltolini, a venture capitalist billio ...more
Debbie
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm only in the first hundred pages of the latest release by C.A Gray about a society in a dystopian future where the government some how makes all the people believe that everything is wonderful. Ironically I see some symbiotic factors from society today.
I'm loving it so far!!

I was literally blown away by how fantastic this book was. I kept thinking I would find something that didn't make sense, being that the plot and storyline was a bit complicated to grasp. You really had to be totally engr
Haley Keller
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you read enough of my reviews, then it's entirely unsurprising that I find myself drawn to dystopian novels. It fascinates me to see various different imaginings of the future, even when they're grim. This is one of those dystopian books that isn't set all that far in the future, and you actually get to learn quite a bit about how the Republic of the Americas was formed from the former United States. I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. I feel like the majority of dystopian books I read ...more
Aurora Whittet
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloodmark-saga
Kate Brandeis is living a lie.

After the economic collapse of the United States the Republic emerges with Ben Volotini as Potentate seizing the power with his evil plans and master manipulation. The lives of the people are devastated and malnourished at best, and yet the Republic is called the Land of Milk and Honey in this epic display of dystopian politcs.

Kate is living the perfect life with the perfect fiancé and she is a successful reporter, but everything changes when a photo of her childh
Lelia Taylor
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews

It’s common in dystopian fiction for the people to be unaware of what their leaders are really like but not so common that they’ve been made to actually not see what’s around them. It’s that element of The Liberty Box that intrigued me the most, knowing that Kate and so many others truly believe they have good lives while the truth is entirely different. When Kate begins to get an inkling of something being off she still resists but the sudden death of someone very close pushes her over
Thea Liza
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A mesmerizing, intense read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

This book is definitely a breath of fresh air for the dystopian genre. CA Gray was able to craft this whole new world that will just suck you in. In terms, of writing, I think the first few chapters were a bit shaky, but towards the middle and the end, she was able to convey what she wanted and found a middle ground between show and tell.

The plot though, it blew me away. The whole mind control was very intriguing, and somet
Alexandra Bessières Dang-Tran
4,5 stars. This book is full of "unexpected" : topics and plot. I really had a great time!

In a dystopian future, the Republic of Americas is not what it seems. Blessing or curse, Kate Brandeis will soon realize this fact, and the price to pay to know the truth is high. Too high maybe.
While she struggles to cope with it, something tragic happens, and the course of her life will be changed forever...

Somewhere else, Jackson is travelling toward the once-upon-a-time USA, his head filled with his A
C.A. Gray
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's so much fun to revisit this one on an audiobook tour! The audio version really makes it come alive, thanks to Melissa Williams! (https://audiobookwormpromotions.com/t...)

I like to describe the Liberty Box trilogy as a dystopian world in which mind control collides with metaphysics. There is some romance (and more as the series goes on), but it's secondary to the action, which is pretty nonstop.

Jackson was one of my favorite characters to write, and he's the sort of person I'd love to be a
Guy Wheatley
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C.A. Gray has come up with a unique look at a dystopian future. She tells the story from shifting, first person singular perspectives. There is even one chapter that jumps to third party omnipotent. As a rule I would find this distracting, but Gray handles it well with narration proclaimed in the chapter title. She made it work effectively.
She presents a perspective on how her characters reached this place that is different from any I’ve read before. It is thought provoking mechanism that carrie
Kelley  Benson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Liberty Box by C.A. Gray is definitely a new perspective on a dystopian world. I loved how she gives you background information into how the society got to where it is now. I feel like that is not always the case when reading a dystopian novel. It was action packed and paced well to keep you intrigued throughout the story. The world and characters are very well developed and the story plot was engaging and thought provoking. I really liked the different aspect of mind control, it makes you t ...more
Melinda
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great dystopian work of fiction. Interesting premise and some good characters. Mind control, government conspiracy, danger, action, intrigue. Quite well paced. Looking forward to book 2
Kristen
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Wow. What started off a little slow turned into a race to the end. I couldn't read it fast enough. The Liberty Box by C.A. Gray sucked me in, and I couldn't escape. What a great story. And pretty scary too as in it feels rooted in just enough reality that I felt tempted to pinch myself to make sure that I am really living the life I think I am 27108728living.

The Liberty Box is an expertly crafted, wonderfully written, and a very refreshing take the dystopian genre. All the dystopian stories I ha
P
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Liberty Box (Volume One) is the latest in a long string of dystopian YA novels. However, this one stands head and shoulders above Mockingbird and Divergent. The reason simply put is that it is believably real. This could happen longshot but could happen in our fast and vastly overcrowded tech centric world.

The United States of America has crashed financially and literally twenty-four years before our story begins. Those in power kept printing money and even then, the song played on. Debt an
MmeP
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Liberty Box is a great new book all about the mind by author CA Gray.

A society that has been torn apart is given an interesting solution, to pacify the people by getting into their minds and making them believe that the world they live in is 'perfect' and 'wonderful'. The brain is the center that processes and explains even what the eyes see. In this tale the mind is tricked into believing that even what they are seeing is 'better' than what it is.

Enter the main characters. The beginning ch
Ruty  B
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Liberty Box is an exciting, fresh and full of action dystopian story about how powerful are our minds and the consequences of not owning our thoughts. Many of the topics of this book sounded closer to me, the idea of what liberty really means and how we see what we choose to see. Sometimes we can be happy pretending everything is fine because it's easier than facing the reality.

It all begins when Kate learns about the death of someone from a past she had forgotten. With her fiancé’s help she
AnnaScott
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this book. The plot line and setting were interesting. It reminded me of a combination of The Hunger Games and The Mysterious Benedict Society, both of which I love. Here's where I got hung up, though: romance. I liked Kate's relationship with Will (however short), but I felt like with the rebels she was depreciated. A lot of people hated (or at least mistrusted) her. Enter Jackson, who is from Iceland and has no experience with what used to be America. He quickly becomes the golden boy ...more
Clémence
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC copy from the author in exchange for a honest review.

I really liked the fact that this book managed to surprise me. It is in many ways a typical dystopian story, but the main characters, Kate and Jackson, are different from other typical dystopian heroes, and I really appreciated that. This book managed to be not too predictable, and even had a crazy cliffhanger at the end which I totally did not expect!

I think the concept for this book was extremely interesting. On the one han
Jim Strawn
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What is reality? Is it what we see, feel, reason out? Can we trust our sources of information to determine the truth? What if all that can be bypassed? That is the question raised in C. A. Gray's new book 'The Liberty Box".
After the economic collapse of the United States and the ensuing unrest, the remains of the government is offered a way to quell the violence and put the citizenry's mind at ease --- make them think that everything is as good or better than it used to be.
Kate Brandeis has be
Grant
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the young adult area of the Tucson Book fair. I was intrigued by my conversation with the author. I also like to support local authors and talent.

You can read a good review of the action of the book in other posted reviews. I want to concentrate my comments on the stylistic approach and premise.

The very overt theme of people seeing only what they are told to see, and not recognizing the lie in and through which they live is very potent. It has shades of The Matrix with
Heather Whiteley
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Is ignorance bliss? The Liberty Box is set in a near future dystopia, where the vast majority of people live happily unaware of their awful surroundings, while a small group live more in touch with reality, but at the cost of having difficult lives. C. A. Gray tells the story of one person who left the happy crowd and joined the few who knew the truth. In the book, Gray explores the impact believing lies can have on people as well as the power of a mind that knows what is real. I found the story ...more
Michelle
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I loved this story! CA Gray never disappoints! Wonderfully written and extremely frightening in it's plausibility. The characters were fantastic and well developed. The plot was intriguing and fast paced. I couldn't put it down.

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
C.A. Gray is the author of three YA Amazon bestselling trilogies: PIERCING THE VEIL (magic and quantum physics meet Arthurian legends), THE LIBERTY BOX (dystopian metaphysics and mind control technology), and UNCANNY VALLEY (dystopian coming-of-age with neuroscience and super intelligent A.I). She starts with some scientific concept that she’s interested in learning more about herself, and then cr ...more

The Liberty Box (3 books)
  • The Eden Conspiracy (The Liberty Box, #2)
  • The Phoenix Project (The Liberty Box, #3)