Start by marking “Der Tod fällt aus dem Rahmen” as Want to Read:
Der Tod fällt aus dem Rahmen

Der Tod fällt aus dem Rahmen

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Das Ehepaar Patrick und Tasmin Selby zählt zu den Außenseitern der Villengegend von Linchester, denn sie sind Cousin und Cousine. Im Vorfeld von Tasmins Geburtstagsfeier fiebert daher ganz Linchester einem Fest voller Skandale entgegen. Aber nicht einmal die boshaftesten Nachbarn hätten damit gerechnet, dass Patrick am Tag nach der Feier tot aufgefunden wird.
Published 2000 by Goldmann (first published October 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Der Tod fällt aus dem Rahmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Tod fällt aus dem Rahmen

Monica
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After delaying for years the reading of my first Ruth Rendell book, I certainly wasn’t disappointed! Rendell is a master at mystery writing…never putting the answers directly in front of you but rather leading you in what might or might not be the right direction. Either way, getting to the end of the book is a lot of fun, particularly if you like the subtleness of British mystery writing the way I do.

Jacket notes: “Gossip in tiny Linchester is raised to new heights when young Patrick Selby dies
Bam
This was my first taste of Ruth Rendell's writing, a stand alone English mystery which I found intriguing, reminiscent of some of Agatha Christie's mysteries.

Patrick Selby dies after receiving several wasp stings at his wife's birthday party. Was his death from natural causes or was it helped along? A lot of people benefitted from his death, including the merry widow. It falls to the local doctor, Max Greenleaf, to figure out the truth.
Marc
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rendell's second novel (the first without Inspector Wexford) is a middling mystery that showcases her writing style, but lacks the plotting and characterization skills she quickly developed in her later books It can be difficult to keep the characters straight, and the plot is not especially compelling.

A decent early effort, but not something that will impress those who haven't read Rendell before. Her later books, starting with ONE ACROSS, TWO DOWN, are better places to start.
Paul
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1 star for general story-telling, 5 for Max and Bernice Greenleaf!
Not so good as expected. I still prefer the Inspector Wexford series.
Margie Dorn
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was my first Rendell mystery to read, an escapist novel for the end of the school year. A quick read that I would have rated a little higher except that there were just too many characters for a novel of such short length, and an implausibility to the events that led up to the solution. The sleuth and his wife were completely likeable characters, however, and they definitely carry the plot. I have one more Rendell mystery in my escapist pile, an Inspector Wexford, and I will try that one to ...more
Gail Gauthier
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is early Rendell. I found some of the dialogue and relationships contrived. However, that incredible, intense Rendell atmosphere was there.
Lukasz Pruski
Ruth Rendell's "To Fear a Painted Devil" continues my flirtation with traditional British mystery. While quite dated (the novel feels a bit older than the 49 years since its publication), it is a nice and very fast read. This standalone mystery features a country doctor as the reluctant sleuth, and police is not mentioned even once.

The story takes place in and around Linchester, which is a cluster of upscale houses in Nottinghamshire. In the set-up that takes almost half of this short novel we m
Alison C
When my husband decided that he wanted to read Ruth Rendell’s Inspector Wexford series, I printed out her bibliography from Wikipedia, figuring that I probably had all, or almost all, of her work already. Turned out I was wrong - there’s only one Inspector Wexford that I don’t have, but there are quite a few stand-alone novels (and Barbara Vine ones) missing from my library. So I was happy to find several missing ones on a recent used bookstore run, including this, from 1965. It depicts life in ...more
Liz
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Rendell’s “psychological thrillers,” not part of her Wexford series. It takes place in a neighborhood of luxurious homes, built on the site of a former grand estate. Several families live here, and everyone, it seems, has a reason to hate Patrick Selby. He is cruel to his wife. He is trying to take over the business of another neighbor. He is having an affair with the sister of a nearby widower. He has interfered in the lives of the young adult children of yet another family ...more
P.R.
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thirteen when this book was written and, my word, it brought some of the essence of those times flooding back – not always good thoughts. I had forgotten how difficult life could be, how pretentious and condemning people were and how appalling life could be for women. Post-WWII allusions are also far more relevant to that time. Ruth Rendell delivers all this to us on a plate of erudite prose. I had also forgotten how detailed good writing was at that time. It seems that now we demand every ...more
Sara
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not part of the Inspector Wexford series, but the character of Doctor Greenleaf serves as the "normal" investigative personality, a welcome contrast to the quirkiness/weirdness of the other characters in this "new" upscale development, built on the site of an old estate.
The ending was actually quite poignant but along the way I got impatient with the obsessions of most of the Linchester dwellers.
Some insight into how England is being changed by developers and the "cost/benefit" to indi
Jill Hutchinson
Ruth Rendell's writing always has just a bit of darkness to it in the midst of the mystery. This book, however, does not have the usual twisted undertones but still is a compelling story. Red herrings abound and the killer is not quite as easy to identify as one would imagine. Has the victim been killed by wasps, died from natural causes (not likely in a Rendell story) or is some secret in the lives of the neighborhood behind it? Read and discover the answer from this master of modern British my ...more
Rita	 Marie
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mysteries
The copyright date on this book is 1965! Not as outstandingly wonderful as Rendell's later books and just a teensy bit dated, but still a terrific mystery. This was not so much a why-dunnit as a who-dunnit, and even was-it-done-at-all. Could have been an accident.

Very intriguing, with a good cast of characters. I didn't catch on until quite close to the end, which was entirely credible given the way the personalities had been developed throughout the book.
Amy
Aug 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a mystery lover
Shelves: mysteries
Mysteries are my secret pleasure, especially English manor mysteries. They're what I read when I want to be transported to a past where things were both simpler and yet complicated because of the way everyone's lives in a community became intertwined. This book met that need perfectly and my nostalgia has been satisfied. I've always wanted to read a Ruth Rendell mystery since seeing one of them on PBS' Mystery, and I may read another some day.
Ronald Wilcox
Second suspense book by Rendell (who sadly passed away earlier this year - 2015). Stand alone mystery. A man is stung by wasps at his wife's birthday party in England and is found dead the next morning, apparently of heart failure. Did he die of an accident? Or did someone help him along? Dr Greenleaf, a local physician who was the one to pronounce the man dead, investigates. Not as good as the Wexford series but a good one to read by Rendell's fans.
Bibi Rose
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way this book is saturated with art (ceramics!) music and country lore. I think a present-day mystery writer would consider this stuff self-indulgent abut of course Rendell can make almost anything work. Similar to Speaker of Mandarin where poetry and antiques do heavy lifting in the plot. This one is short, a little iffy in terms of the plot but a perfect read for a summer evening.
Jaina S
not Ruth Rendell's best but a pretty good book overall. there are a TON of characters all introduced pretty much simultaneously, and it takes a little while to get them all straightened out in your head. it's pretty typical Ruth Rendell -- a mix of psychological sort-of thriller with sociological commentary. This one seems a bit more 'dated' than some of her other work.
Karschtl
Ein bißchen altbackener Krimi (kein Wunder bei dem Erscheinungsjahr 1965). Ich habe bis Seite 120 durchgehalten (bis zum Ende der Party also), dann 60 Seiten ausgelassen und dann wieder die letzten 20 Seiten gelesen. Und trotzdem alles mitbekommen, da alle für die Aufklärung relevanten Fakten dort erst aufgedeckt werden.
Iblena
Classic English-style mystery with clues to confuse the reader and unexpected plot twist at the end, with the personal touch of Ruth Rendell. Good read, but the story does not have the intensity and the darkness of psychological suspense novels most famous.
Ms. Jared
I didn't love this one. It didn't have the surprise/twist ending I've come to expect from her. Or maybe it did, but it wasn't as much of a jaw dropper as I expected. Either way, it was short but it had a lot of characters so was a bit confusing in the beginning. Overall it was just okay.
Jendi
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absorbing, if somewhat nasty, psychological character study of gossip and social changes in a small British community. Rendell doesn't like women very much. She is always describing them as damp, disheveled, foolish, too fat, too low-class, etc.
Ladiibbug
Murder Mystery

Orig. published in 1975, this is an OK read. Ruth Rendell is a favorite author when it comes to psychological suspense/murder mysteries. I like reading her extensive backlist while waiting for new books to come out.
Andrew Klynsmith
Rendell makes any disastrous dinner party you've ever arranged look positively successful in comparison to the one in this book... She is a master of tension, awkward embarrassment, and unspoken desire, hate and ambition.
Teresa
Not my favorite of Rendell's books, but still a great read. It's interesting to read the early stuff to see just how talented she was to begin with and how she grew as an author.
Joanne
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, as usual.
Magister
Apr 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Linda Rowland
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See The Secret House of Death.
Jack Goodstein
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Read an old Crime Club edition not on the list. Nice picture of middle class suburban society and social values, although the crime itself seems a bit far fetched.
Riversue
Another good read for my hospital stay - fast and entertaining. Not as good as one of her more recent forays.
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • Death in the Family (Lloyd & Hill, #12)
  • Rainbow's End (Richard Jury, #13)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Bones (African Writers)
  • A Likeness In Stone
  • Babel (Brock & Kolla, #6)
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, was an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries and above all for Inspector Wexford.
More about Ruth Rendell...