Start by marking “Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs” as Want to Read:
Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs

Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Stunning photos of 9/11 and the four footed heroes whose job was to find people. A view of incredible love and faithfulness not usually seen. If you are a dog lover, or involved with animal rescue- this book is like no other!
Published August 1st 2006 by Kennel Club Books (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Heroes of September 11th, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Heroes of September 11th

April
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!! I borrowed the book from my local library and I'm considering buying my own copy!! The book tells of the search and rescue dogs of September 11th. There are emotional parts of the book. I will never forget!
Brandy
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I had tears in my eyes the whole way through. So many service dogs came to the rescue- not only searching for live victims, but also giving comfort to all the firemen, policemen, volunteers, clean up crews who worked tirelessly to find their colleagues and other people. The dogs recovered hundreds of body parts/bits helping many people have something to bury and closure. These dogs worked in harsh conditions, many later suffered from cancer and breathing ailments. Each testimony describe ...more
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started crying looking at the cover. I continued crying through the Preface and Introduction and had no idea how I'd make it through this book. But after a couple of stories, I settled in okay and really enjoyed it (and still cried off and on). A lot of the tales really are the same but I never got tired of hearing how these search and rescue dogs also worked as "therapy dogs" for human rescue workers and how much the dogs loved doing their job for no more reward than their favorite toy. A rea ...more
Debra Beck
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
It took me several days to read this one, mostly because I was reading through tears. Whether or not you are a dog lover, you will be moved by the stories of canine heroes who worked tirelessly to bring closure to families, in the most horrific of conditions. The presentation is well done, suitable for the respectful preservation of their stories.
Jane
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Could I give this 10 stars? A beautiful tribute.
Wendy Kendall
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This wonderful book presents profiles in courage for the many search dogs who brought solace to families of 9/11. They were charged with finding loved ones’ remains at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and Fresh Kills in Staten Island. Significant and emotional stories about these dogs’ lives and actions, told by their handlers, are captivating. The bond between each dog and his handler is as beautiful as the photographs. A definition of hero is feats of courage, especially one who has riske ...more
Amanda
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly touching account that brought tears to my eyes. Dogs have proven time and time again that they are indeed man's Best Friend.
Jordan Larsen
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first found out about this book from reading a newspaper article about the USAR K-9 teams of Texas Task Force 1 in The San Antonio Express News about what they went through on 9/11. Having a strong interest in K-9 teams and possibly wanting to consider it as a career one day, I knew I had to get it. After reading this book for the first time, I have to say that it was definitely well worth it. Never before have I read such a gripping account of Search and Rescue K-9 teams. This book goes into ...more
Rena Sherwood
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
Lovely photos and a good (although not deeply in-depth) look at some of the dog rescue teams that worked the 9/11 disaster. It gets very repetitive, though. I've never been able to finish the book and I own a copy so I don't even have the excuse of fearing library late fees to fall back on. The last time I opened the book up was when the last 9/11 rescue dog, Bretange, was euthanized for poor health and received an honor guard for her trip to the veterinarian's office.

description

I don't know if I'll be abl
Jacklyn
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Their is tears in my eyes, the author put in so much emotion into the book that you can't help but tear up. The author put that emotion in their on purpose to make the book more pessimistic and for more readers to get hooked. The dogs in this book saved many peoples lives, 9/11 was a sad tragedy lots of annihilation happened on that day the towers crumbled, the people screamed... but we are lucky the dogs were here to save the people that were stuck in the ashes, concrete, metal and wood the dog ...more
Deborah Darsie
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Interested in Working dog info, Sept 11, Hero Dogs
Shelves: read-nf, read-dog
I enjoyed having some time to 'meet' the SAR teams and learn a little about their contributions and the teamwork involved.

This is the 2nd edition - issued on the 10th anniversary of the too-memorable September 11th disasters.

We get a little followup on each team since 2001 and some of the enhancements to the training methodology & resources to increase the number of qualified teams. [National Search Dog Foundation - an impressive organization dedicated to making the training & certifica
Sandy Weir
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up this lovely book to use in a unit I was creating for elementary school children about dogs (or animals). It was to be a support resource with the delightful pictures and the short "chapters" about individual dogs. I found I learned a lot more about the requirements and designations of the various rescue dogs than I had expected... so a fun book to read and a great resource for that unit!
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing stories of Search and Rescue (SARS) dogs and their handlers and their heroic role in the aftermath of 9/11. I'm glad to have insight into the steadfast, and time-consuming commitment these individuals and their dogs have engaged in to provide such an honorable service to the everyday people of the US.
Pringle
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
surprising, but I guess not too terribly astonishing, how much the search and rescue dogs acted as therapy animals for the ground zero workers and the families of those lost. The dogs could reach people who had been hurt beyond my comprehension.
Dogs can be the best empaths, the best friend a person has had.
Janet Windeguth
I knew that dogs were an indispensible tool in search-and-rescue. But I never dreamed of how discerning and talented they really are. Some of these dogs were alerting to a splash of blood or a bit of flesh smaller than a dime. They’re amazing creatures who helped a lot of the 9/11 families find closure.
Patty
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf-dogs
This book has a profile of each dog and handler that worked the locations that were attacked on 9/11. The dogs will touch the hearts of dog lovers. Their commitment to work and their bond with the handler are amazing. But, without training, all these dogs served as therapy to the fire and police departments.
Donna
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was SUCH a tearjerker. DO NOT try to get through this w/o a box or 2 of Kleenex. The pictures are great, the stories are heart tuggers & I couldn't help but walk away w/ the felling that these animals were/are gifts from God. They remind me of the book "The Little Engine That Could". They have the hearts of lions.
S
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Should have explained the different ratings/certifications that each of the dogs had or could gain. Other than that, it's a wonderful tribute to the dogs and handlers who answered the call to search for survivors and remains of victims.
Bethe
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs, non-fict
Fascinating look at the canine heroes of September 11. Lots of repetition of the duties, emotional states, and sadness of the lack of love finds. Didn't know about the Fresh Kills Landfill area. Loved all the photos of the dogs, especially the border collies and black labs.
Denise Bradshaw
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pets-animals
A great book - I challenge anyone to not tear up while reading it! It was amazing to learn how much the dog owner pays, from their own pocket, for the dog, training, health issues, etc. We should be grateful for these dogs and their owners.
Marguerite
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing what these dogs and their people can accomplish together.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
Pics of beautiful and heroic Goldens!!
Sue
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done! Touching pictures and stories.
Denise
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, eye-opening read. Learned quite a bit. Very special dogs indeed.
Victoria
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Can't read all of it - still makes me cry.
John
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
Wonderful photography.
Helovitz
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. Sad though since the dogs are all dead at this point since 2001 was a while ago

Pictures are great. Love those dogs
Michellle
Beautiful touching book. Highly recommended for anyone who has the utmost love and admiration for the service animals in our world.
Ladybug
Difficult read because of the September 11th content, but fascinating--I'm almost tempted to buy it (read a copy from the library). I read the updated 10th anniversary edition.
Nancy Koch
Nov 07, 2016
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Dogs I Have Met: And The People They Found
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog