Start by marking “Gypsy Moth Circles The World” as Want to Read:
Gypsy Moth Circles The World

Gypsy Moth Circles The World

When 65-year-old Francis Chichester set sail on his solitary,eastward journey around the world in 1966,many believed he wouldn't return alive. But when the old man returned in his 53-foot ketch Gypsy Moth IV nine months later,he had made history's fastest circumnavigation.

Gipsy Moth Circles the World was an international best-seller when it appeared in 1967.

It inspired t

Published 1968 by Coward Mc Cann (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Gypsy Moth Circles The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gypsy Moth Circles The World

Pam Lindholm-levy
This was my mother's book one of the ones I saved after she passed away. My first attempt to read it ended in failure because the first chapter is all about building and testing Gipsy Moth IV, and it sort of lost me.
Now, after reading all Patrick O'Brian's Aubry/Maturin series, Chichester's book was more accessible and understandable, though there was still plenty of sailing vocabulary I didn't get.
Francis Chichester set off from London/Plymouth in September 1966 to sail singlehanded around the
danny
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, history
Gritty, realistic telling of a remarkable feat. Chichester does absolutely nothing to glamorize his experiences under an amazingly grueling set of circumstances. A remarkable, curmudgeonly anti-hero who stunned the world IN HIS SIXTIES. A grumpy inspiration to all...
Mackenzie King
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true mariner's classic. Required reading for any sailor worth his salt and an important history for the field. A bit slow at times, but this was particularly interesting as it was around the last time of sea exploration without use of autopilot, weather tracking devices, or any satellite monitoring capabilities, all of which make this endeavor infinitely less precarious. Additionally Chichester's voyage marked the chief inspiration for the Golden Globe race the following year, which is in my o ...more
Bill Leach
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chichester's story of his 1966 solo sailing voyage around the world, at age 65. He did the circumnavigation west to east. The trip took 226 days with a single stop in Sydney, making it the fastest circumnavigation in a small vessel. In 1898, Slocum took 3 years with numerous stops, but did the more difficult east to west against the prevailing winds.

The book largely covers Chichester's day to day activities. It is interesting to see how busy he was with numerous sail changes, and numerous mainte
Harini Srinivasan
This book, like Kon Tiki, exemplified real adventure for me and my siblings when we were growing up. Loved it and want to reread!
Suzanne
To think he undertook voyage at age 65 boggles the mind. One of sailing's great men...
Larry Hall
I did enjoy this story but maybe I am a little spoiled with some of the other similar tales I have read. It just seems the middle was a lot of sail changes. I realize that's what was actually going on at the time but still boring all the same. That being said it was made up for with some great stories of capsizing and huge storms. you do have to respect anyone who can pull something like this off. I am glad I read this story as it been on my list for quit some time.
Arlene Richards
An excellent read about and written by a 65 year old man who circumnavigates the world east to west throught the most dangerous and isolated seas including the conquest of the Horn. On top of that, he does it singlehanded in record breaking time.
Paula Paige
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding accounting of one man's journey around the world alone. Fascinating and exhilarating. Sir Francis is a wonderful storyteller. His several month trip was filled with tales of dolphins and storms, sail changes and determination. An adventure for a lifetime.
Lorraine Sulick-Morecraft
Written by Sr Francis Chichester himself, his account of his solo circumnavigation at age 65 on Gipsy Moth IV.
Scott Foshee
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, I had never heard of Sir Francis Chichester or of his book Gypsy Moth Circles the World until I found and bought a copy at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney several years ago. I love accounts of true sailing adventures, and when I recently rediscovered this book on my shelf I finally dove in.

Sir Francis Chichester was a distinguished aviator before becoming a yachtsman. He made the first solo flight East to West across the Tasman Sea from New Zealand to Australia, a
Gary Detrick
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
What a challenge an adventure as this would be, and to be able to accomplish a feat as this at an age of 65. Well written account of Chichester's amazing solo voyage. I learned a lot of terminology that I was unfamiliar with, in interest. That's what I enjoy about reading. He frequently uses sailing terms, so for those unfamiliar, you will learn much. Enjoyable read. Well worth addition to your reading library.
Amerynth
Chichester's book details his solo sail around the world, which was the fastest circumnavigation of the globe by a single-handed vessel and it was the longest voyage by a solo vessel without a port of call. (He stopped only in Sydney, Australia during his voyage to and from Plymouth, England.)

His story in interesting and compelling. However, the book is not an easy read for a non-sailor... Chichester assumes you have sailing knowledge and his book is sprinkled with sailing terminology, which was
Michael Harris
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
March 28, 2013: I picked up another copy at the Friends of the Hilton Head Library and re-read this wonderful book as I am just starting boating. It was as amazing to read as the first time. I will never tire of this epic voyage.

This was a book I picked up at the Austin Public Library Recycled Reads Store. I first read this book when it was published in 1967 and it started me on my reading of adventure, biography and history books as my primary source of reading pleasure. Though I remembered the
KennyO
Chichester's motivation for solo circumnavigation was utterly different from Slocum's (see: Sailing Alone around the World ). Despite advances in technology this trip was only a scant bit easier than Slocum's, though I'd doubt that a person making the trip would agree. Even in the late twentieth century it was a big deal, so much of the reporting about his trip was in the front section of newspapers around the world. His completion of the voyage was front page news. This voyage being contemporar ...more
krin
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
Sir Francis Chichester tells a fascinating and detailed story of his historic solo circumnavigation via the Southern Oceans. From day to day, with changes in the weather and the boat's responses to it, there were plenty of surprises both good and bad. I enjoyed reading this book very much.
Sharon
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: before-goodreads
Amazing book.
Disparlure Nagle
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Still like this story. Starts off a bit slow but overall manages to communicate the scale of his journal better than most other circumnavigation stories I've read.
Dhe
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bel libro sull'argomento, a volte molto tecnico come è inevitabile che sia.
Edward Renehan
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great. loves voyage. hates vessel.
Tarquilla
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An incredible journey and an incredible man. Sir Francis tells the story of overcoming danger and challenges in such a matter of fact way. It is a very old book but somehow does not seem dated.
Carole
Dec 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book as it had way too many nautical terms that I didnt understand.
Julian Walker
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visited his yacht as a boy and thought it small. This really brings home the magnitude of his endeavour and evokes a spirit of unassuming adventure that is real hero stuff.
Gordon Francisco
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-enjoyed
A tale of courage, daring, adventure by Sir Francis...
Frank Bowley
Obviously an exciting story, but the writing style has aged considerably (Chichester was well into his sixties when he wrote the book). It seemed a bit dry and flat at times.
Robyn Obermeyer
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book!
Juan Robledo

• Kabloona
  • Travels into the Interior of Africa
  • Travels in Arabia Deserta, Volume 1
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation
  • Sailing Alone around the World
  • In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon
  • The Journals
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics
  • Cooper's Creek
Aviator and sailor, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.