Start by marking “Burned (Burned, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burned (Burned, #1)

Burned

(Burned #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  56,672 ratings  ·  3,757 reviews
I do know things really began to spin out of control after my first sex dream.

Published April 1st 2006 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published March 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Burned, please sign up.
Amalie It is not scary as a thriller would be. It is however scary in terms of the abuse going on in the home of the protagonist.
hailey Somewhere between 14 and 20. I read it at 12 and I loved it, but it was a bit mature, since there was some sexual activity.

·  56,672 ratings  ·  3,757 reviews

Start your review of Burned (Burned, #1)
Nina
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: masochists. seriously.
Shelves: reality-bites
The format in which the book is written is, to say the least, slightly on the brilliant side. The content was intense and emotional. I love this book, because I hate it. Let me explain why. At first as I read the book I got too cozy with it, I assumed like with so many other books, that this one would end up happy, that somehow the main character would get out of her own personal hell and have a better life. I was in for a bitter and harsh awakening.

The further I got into the book the more up
Lindsey
Apr 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
*This review has attracted some attention and discussion and caused some misunderstandings. I have edited it to be more objective.

Please humor me as I soliloquize about a side issue instead of writing a review—although really it doesn't matter whether you care to humor me or not; I'm going to say my say just the same. Isn't the internet wonderful? MWA-HA-HA-HA. Oh, the rush of unchecked power.

Crank happened to pass briefly through my hands on its way to some library patron, and I gave it a qui
Emily May
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2011, poetry
Wow. I found this book... original, disturbing, horrific and completely nothing like I expected it to be.

Firstly, I didn't realise it was in verse form and when it arrived I was a bit reluctant to begin seeing as my past experiences with novels in verse are Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost. Must I say anymore? But... I went against my initial instinct and found that I loved the way the style just flowed, I read page after page and suddenly realised I'd devoured half the book in less than an hou
Jacob McCabe
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whoa.

No words.

I've discovered Ellen Hopkins.

P.S. This is my favorite quote for the book:

"God is love," she said. "And He respects love, whether it's between a parent and a child, a man and a woman, or friends. I don't think He cares about religion one little bit. Live your life right, Pattyn. Love with all your heart. Don't hurt others, and help those in need. That's all you need to know. And don't worry about Heaven. If it exists, you'll be welcome."
Joanne
Dec 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
This author doesn't have a clue about what Mormonism is about or how women are treated in the LDS church. Her "writing" sets Mormon women in the same stereotype as fundamental LDS women or even worse. Please see the following for further clarification:

My gripe with this is that people who know nothing about the LDS Church read this book they will get a very skewed and incorrect viewpoint about the LDS Church and LDS women.
Lindsey Rey
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This book was absolutely AMAZING. I think I will have a hard time reviewing how I felt about this book...

AGHHH STILL SO GOOD THE SECOND TIME.
J-Lynn Van Pelt
This 531 page book is written entirely in poems, some simple verse, some experiments with form. Pattyn Von Stratten is a repressed 17 year old who has been raised by an alcoholic, abusive father and an overwhelmed mother. Pattyn’s life consists of taking care of her six younger sisters and learning to be a good Mormon girl. But, when the school librarian feeds her love of reading, she starts to realize that there is more to life than the sexist society that her bishop encourages.

After Pattyn re
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I'm am just in pain from this book....

This is the first I have read of this author's work, but it will not be the last. I loved and hated this book so much.

I hated the way Pattyn was treated by her alcoholic father and their community. They were Mormons and they wanted all women to do as their husband says and didn't care if the wife was beaten. It's whatever the husband decides. There is a lot more to it, but I'm not going into all of it.

Pattyn started hav
Carol Hesprich
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone doubting religion or wanting to defend the LDS Faith, or lived through abuse
Being LDS myself and having some of the LDS beliefs extorted, it reminds me of how much I appreciate the truth of the religion and what I do know. Being in the midst of abuse in a personal experience in Utah, the book does hit close to home in many ways and is realistic to the core in some aspects. This would be a great book to use in a group discussion of abused survivors and also a reading group. I am going to go back over it and read it again. Can be a very helpful and almost therapeutic book ...more
Naudia
“In my limited realm of experience, beginnings led to endings.”

Now read that a few times over, and let it sink in.

description

The whole time it took me to read this, I realized that there was not, nor would there be any closure for me. This book destroyed me in the absolute best way. I didn't want it to end.

Pattyn Von Stratten is a teenage Mormon, and from the very beginning, you can see that that lifestyle is not for her. She feels detached, and rightfully questions everything. She is habitually oppressed
Kells Next Read
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Continuing my Author Exploration and I'm enjoying it immensely. This was a brilliant read.
Devin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart.
Mariah Roze
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing

"I do know things really began to spin out of control after my first sex dream.

It all started with a dream. Nothing exceptional, just a typical fantasy about a boy, the kind of dream that most teen girls experience. But Pattyn Von Stratten is not like most teen girls. Raised in a religious—yet abusive—family, a simple dream may not be exactly a sin, but it could be the first step toward hell and eternal damnation.

This dream is a first step for Pattyn. But is it to hell or to a better life? For t
Pinky
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished last semester well and I am back to having a little bit of freedom. I have enough time to read 1-2 novels a week, so hopefully I can catch up on my reading goal this year! I can't believe I haven't read a book by Ellen Hopkins yet and I'm so glad that I finally did because it was bloody amazing!

“Did you ever, when you were little, endure your parents’ warnings, then wait for them to leave the room, pry loose protective covers and consider inserting some metal object into
Mimi
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
**Spoilers**

This book smarts of ex mormon/ anti-mormon anger. I don't know what "church" the author or the character got her information from, but it certainly wasn't mine. If I had ever experienced what the girl in this book did by the hands of leaders and members I certainty wouldn't be "mormon" and probably wouldn't be keeping my mouth closed either. I don't doubt abuse in the LDS church happens, especially abuse of power, because what religion is clean and of scandal, controversy, and lies.
Shauna
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
I understand that there's this cult of people who love Ellen Hopkins' novels, and I didn't mind that it was written in verse - thought it was fine, and the verse accentuated all of the dramatic moments in a cool way. That said, the story was very cliche with a LAME, abrupt ending. It's another downer teen book cloaked in verse to try to make it meaningful.

Yes, Pattyn had a horrible life, and yes, considering her home life, it's no wonder that she turned to men and sex to make her feel loved and
Leslie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Not doing a full review. I read this fast but can’t say I enjoyed it. It’s very problematic in its thoughts on Mormonism to say the least. I’m not Mormon but one of my best friends is. This paints the religion in a bad light that I don’t think is fair or accurate. Based on Hopkins writings, I highly doubt she has any personal experience with the religion.
Holli
Jan 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2007
This is a young adult fiction novel about a Mormon girl who discovers who she is. With an alcoholic father and an always-breeding mother, she gets herself into trouble with the "wrong crowd" and as a form of punishment must go live with her Aunt J for the summer in Nevada. There she "falls in love" with Ethan, an older boy, and together they learns the lessons of life. She becomes pregnant and upon returning home, is beaten by her father and eventually runs away with Ethan only to have him die i ...more
Leona  Petrovic
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Ellen Hopkins really knows how to pull at my heartstrings and make me cry.
Eve
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
Ok. Hi. As some of you might know - I already wrote a review for this novel, and then my internet decided to hate me & crashed & killed my soul. So. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

For some reason, I've always avoided Ellen Hopkins' novels. When I was just a wee little 11 year old redheaded gremlin, I made the stupid decision to read Crank. I think due to the sex, drugs, abuse, alcohol, and mature themes, my poor tween mind was scarred for life, and thus the unspoken rule to never pick u
Katie
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Ellen Hopkins has several novels out that would put off most people by their size. Crank, Glass, and Impulse, for example, are pretty thick in size. After opening them, you will soon realize they are written in poem form. Ellen Hopkins is known for writing edgy novels about teenagers’ life.

“I felt angry, frustrated. I felt like I didn’t belong, not in my home, not in my church, not in my skin.”

Burned, just like any other Ellen Hopkins book, is about a girls struggle throu
Bonnie
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

He was a dream. A safe dream.
Safe, because he was unattainable,
something to adore from afar.
Like a snow-drenched mountain
or an evening star.

The Storyline
17-year old Pattyn Von Stratten is the oldest child in a Mormon family which consists of an alcoholic and abusive father and an extremely overwhelmed mother. Unconsciously, she starts to rebel little by little from her strict family’s rules. After her father catches her in a moment of rebellion sh
Theresa
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Holy shit... I did not see that one coming.

I picked this book up because I thought it would be a quick read and ended up so hooked I couldn't put it down. The writing style is... odd, to say the least. It's pretty much written in a weird verse form, but still reads like prose so I ended up pretty much ignoring the page design and just reading it like a normal novel. I honestly don't see why it was written this way, it didn't really do much for me and I think a lot of people will struggle getting
Erica Henry
I could relate to the main character, Pattyn, in more ways the one.
Janie Johnson
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again Hopkins brings to her readers a riveting, profound coming of age story. And it may now be my favorite so far. Hopkins has a way with words, a way to draw you deep into the minds of her characters, deep in the middle of their stories, and you journey together.

This one touches on a couple of issues with me. One being organized religions. There are still religions out there that try to dictate the way their members should live their lives. And they have been a part of it for so long tha
Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark
Nope. Nope. Can't finish it. Just...cant.
Just...too many feels.
Too. Many. FEELS.
description

I can be bullied in real life to the point of contemplated suicide, and not shed a tear. Sister's Keeper? Meh. Titanic? Puh-lease. Don't make me laugh.

Creepy dark novels that have you looking over your shoulders for psycho-killers or stalker rapists?
Please. I live for intense novels.

A free verse, intense and sad novel about very real personal and world issues, with relatable characters, situations and religious
Dylan
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone (age limit: 14+)
Recommended to Dylan by: Melissa See
Dear Ellen Hopkins,

I love you, and literally can't wait for the sequel. So please, write faster. Actually I'd rather wait for an amazing book, cause you can't rush perfection, and that's exactly what this author is; perfect. I love this book.

It basically tells the story of Pattyn Von Stratton, a young girl struggling with who she is, who her family is, and a question many people ask themselves, "Is there a god?". This book asks a lot of religious and philisophical questions. As all of Ellen's b
Kenna
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
So. . .interesting. Written in prose form made it fun to read. The story was a little off. Well, a sad story, but written from an LDS perspective. The author was WAY off on the LDS religion. Sounded more like FLDS to me. A lot of FLDS stuff happening. . .husband beating his wife/daughters, the Bishop/community members turning a blind eye because he's the man of the house and he must be right, husband decides if/when his wife can get a drivers license, girls are expected to marry and procreate, w ...more
Kate
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

This is a quick and easy read. As with the other Ellen Hopkins books I have read, this too is written in verse. It tells the story of a teenaged girl who grows up in a Mormon family and discovers the true meaning of love when she is sent away to live with her aunt (a less religiously devout member of her family) for a summer.
Play Book Tag: (Poll Ballot) Burned by Ellen Hopkins 1 7 Jan 12, 2020 12:51AM
Diversity in All ...: Burned (November 2019) 8 18 Nov 13, 2019 06:51PM
Diversity in All ...: Burned (November 2019) 2 14 Oct 19, 2019 07:39AM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 1 May 08, 2019 05:41PM
What made people come to the conclusion that Pattyn......(spoilers) 9 73 Jun 02, 2018 06:19PM
Smith English 4250: Burned - 544 Pages 1 10 Mar 24, 2017 09:11AM

• Willow
  • Scars
  • Go Ask Alice/Jay's Journal
  • Speak
  • A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1)
  • Twisted
  • Wintergirls
  • CAFFEINE AND NICOTINE
  • Exit Here.
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on Tough Stuff: Stories of Tough Times and Lessons Learned (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Shout
  • Jay's Journal
Ellen Hopkins is the New York Times bestselling author of Crank, Burned, Impulse, Glass, Identical, Tricks, Fallout, Perfect, Triangles, Tilt, and Collateral. She lives in Carson City, Nevada, with her husband and son. Hopkin's Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest pages get thousands of hits from teens who claim Hopkins is the "only one who understands me", and she can be visited at ellenhopkin ...more

Burned (2 books)