Start by marking “Girl Last Seen” as Want to Read:
Girl Last Seen

Girl Last Seen

Kadence Mulligan's star was rising. She and her best friend, Lauren DeSanto, watched their songs go viral on YouTube, then she launched a solo career when a nasty throat infection paralyzed Lauren's vocal chords. Everyone knows Lauren and Kadence had a major falling-out over Kady's boyfriend. But Lauren knows how deceptive Kadence could be sometimes. And nobody believes La ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Girl Last Seen, please sign up.
Blerta R
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2016
1,292 books — 9,627 voters
Heartless by Marissa MeyerA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareGlass Sword by Victoria AveyardStars Above by Marissa Meyer
2016 Releases
306 books — 352 voters

More lists with this book...

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Albert Whitman & Company and NetGalley.)

“Just heard Kadence Mulligan is missing??? One guess who’s behind it. Payback’s a bitch, Lauren.”

This was an interesting YA contemporary story, with a bit of a twist at the end.

I liked Lauren and I thought that the way her best friend treated her was awful. As if it wasn’t bad enough that she couldn’t sing any more, she didn’t really need her best friend t
Liz Barnsley
Girl Last Seen is a fast read, highly engaging and a page turner, one of the better of the plethora of "girl" books there are around that follow a similar theme - in this case because it had its own peculiar rythym which may be a lot to do with the music vibe running through the narrative.

A You Tube Sensation leads to reality show "stardom" and then inevitably to two friends being ripped apart, both having differing attitudes and ambitions. That is it in a nutshell, with a mystery thrown in for
Stacee
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the premise of this and I was eager to get to it.

I liked Lauren right away. She's talented and has that sort of taken away from her. It was interesting seeing how she dealt with everything. Even with the weird situation, she remained likable. We also got a POV from Jude and then two other POVs in the form of a police interview and "found" videos. At first it was a bit annoying having it all switch around, but help set up the tension and made me second guess everything.

There were s
Abbie
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

All the characters annoyed me at one point or another, so I can't say I liked any of them.

I found the pacing in this one to be slow, and the book just dragged for me unfortunately. The last 15% or so was alright, but everything up until that point bored me.

Overall, Okay start and okay end, but everything in the middle dragged.
Debbie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A girl goes missing. No one has heard from her for days. The list of suspects is short. Until you start learning about Kadence. Then the list of suspects grows and grows. You even want to add yourself to the list because you know if you were one of the people that she wronged, you would have killed her yourself.

About three quarters of the way through the book, your wanting to give an award to whoever did it. This girl was just bad, I mean evil. Before the end, you figure it out. However, the end
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

- - -

Synopsis: Kadence Mulligan played to a packed house of her fans Friday night.

Saturday morning she was gone.

The songs Kadence wrote and sang with her best friend, Lauren DeSanto, made them both online sensations. But when Lauren lost her voice, Kady couldn’t wait to go solo. It’s no secret the two had a major falling-out and were barely speaking to her. Lauren kept to herself, scribbling song lyrics, while Kady’s stardom was rising steadily…until s
Suze Lavender
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kadence and Lauren used to be best friends. They also formed a duo together and were a big success on YouTube. Unfortunately Lauren can't sing anymore due to an infection that affected her vocal cords. Kadence went solo and left her friend behind. Music wasn't the only reason they aren't hanging out any longer though. They had a fight about Kadence's boyfriend. Many things went wrong between them and now Lauren is working in a coffee shop while Kadence is becoming a star on her own.

When Kadence
Jennifer Alvarez
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Addictive! Twists and turns, liars, stalkers--what's not to like? It's Gone Girl for the younger set. I recommend for teens and older who enjoy mysteries, suspense, and plot twists.
Sherri Smith
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining and quick read! There were loads of good twists & turns and the story was very well written!!

I highly recommend this for those who love intriguing teen fiction and/or mysteries!
Clémence
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Amazing book! I think I'll need some time to recover from it! Copy provided by NetGalley, review coming soon.

Update: (might be a bit spoilery, but I believe it was also predictable...)

This book was amazing! The only reason I didn’t give it five stars is because I found it a litlle bit draggy sometimes, and some parts were not exactly original. However, I still loved it.

I really liked the characters, especially Lauren and Jude. Lauren is a rather relatable person. She is suffering, but she is alw
PinkAmy loves  \\u0026#x1f495; books\\u0026#x1f4d6;, cats\\u0026#x1f63b; and naps\\u0026#x1f6cf;
Grade: B

When internet sensation Cadence Mulligan goes missing her former singing partner and best friend Lauren DeSanto becomes a prime suspect. Also on the sheriff's radar, Jude, Lauren's former best friend and the target of bullying by Cady and Mason, Cadence's boyfriend who happens to have kissed Lauren the day before her disappearance. When Lauren and Jude team up to investigate what happened, Lauren learns who her "friend" really is...or was.

GIRL LAST SEEN unfolds from Mason's, Lauren's and
Beth
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kadence Mulligan and Lauren DeSanto are musical YouTube sensations. While Kadence loves the spotlight, Lauren is the brains and heart of the duo: writing soulful lyrics and haunting melodies. When Lauren falls ill and loses her voice for an indefinite amount of time, Kadence sees this as an opportunity to go solo. This along with some major boy-drama causes the two to have a falling out. This does not bode well for Lauren since she was the last person to see Kadence before she went missing.

Now i
merireads
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2016
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and AW Teen in exchange for an honest review.

WOW. As I read the last chapters of Heather Anastasiu's and Anne Greenwood Brown's Girl Last Seen, that was the only thing going through my mind. This book was full of plot twists and surprises, and it had me on the edge of my seat. I'm a big fan of thriller/suspense novels, and when I heard about this book, I was interested. Though it wasn't as good as similar books I've read, I enjoyed Girl Last See
Leah
While Girl Last Seen was fast-paced and readable to the point of being a one-sitting read, the big 'twist' reveal felt like a cop-out and the latter half of the story was a descent into insanity: a rape subplot, poisoning, Jude's super creepy stalking. As much as I wanted to enjoy this one, I'm sad to say it just wasn't for me.

For the full review and more, head over to The Pretty Good Gatsby!
Patrick
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
*3 and a half stars *
a pretty solid book. I admit while reading this, I didn't particularly like any of the characters. Especially not Kady. But through the mystery and such it was interesting to see where the story was going. Ending was a little strange, yet oddly satisfying.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher.
Amy
Mar 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: slj-recommended
DNF at 50%

When I'm looking for a page-turner, I am ready to sacrifice quality writing and character depth for something that hooks me and keeps me going. About halfway through I lost a lot of steam in the forward movement in the story and found myself stuck with lackluster characters.
Roxanne
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-library
Really probably a 4.5 I thought I knew, then I didn't, then I did... I did get some elements right others totally missed. A good look at a narcissistic manipulator.
Angela Auten
Katrina Marie
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More Review
This book completely surprised me.  At first I was kind of meh about it because I didn't care for any of the characters.  They all have an ugliness in them, and it bugged me.  But Girl Last Seen also deals with issues I think we should all pay attention to.  Bullying is a big thing in this book.  Some of these kids had their lives ruined, or even moving, because of the actions that certain people made.  And I think it's also s
Jennifer (Teen Librarian) Beiermann
Told in alternating chapters. Lauren, Mason, Jude and Kadence. I liked this one. I wasn’t sure who was responsible for Kady’s disappearance. I had my ideas but then I’d second guess myself.

I do think the ending was a little too quick. It felt a little like the ending of a TV episode. It all got tied up together too neatly, especially after everything that happened.

Stephanie Kaye (In Wonderland)
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This review was originally posted on In Wonderland My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book. It was told in multiple viewpoints not to mention it was also told with evidence logs. I thought it was a really interesting way to go with this story and I really appreciated that. Even though it took me a bit to get into the story at the beginning (either it was just a slow beginning or it was because I was kind of in a reading slump) the writing flowed well and it kept me entertained and drawn to the st

The Library Ladies
(Originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

Sometimes I take a chance on a book that I have never heard of. Working at a library means that I see a lot of books pass by me, so I get tempted to be spontaneous fairly often. “Girl Last Seen” is one of those books that I decided to take a chance on. I had a long plane trip ahead of me, and something fluffy and easy sounded really good to me. However, I didn’t want it to be THAT fluffy and easy. And unfortunately, “Girl Last Seen” fell very much i
Sarah E.
I was gifted this book via Netgalley
I'm really into the crime scene right now. It's basically all I'm reading and watching at the moment. I thought I would enjoy a story where a girl goes missing and the best friend is the main character and suspect.

Kadence is a royal bitch. Let's just get that straight right off the bat. Lauren is the "yes" person that Kadence has chosen as a best friend and Lauren feels she is so lucky to have her until she gets an infection that puts her on total voc
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review
Kadence and Lauren are best friends. Well were. The two were a Youtube sensation singing and playing their guitars. That is until Lauren can't use her voice or play guitar anymore. From there Kadence goes solo in her career. When Kadence goes missing, Lauren quickly becomes a suspect officially and in the court of popular opinion. As this is going, Lauren's old best friend Jude shows up to be there for her and help her figure out who really did do this Kadence. But does he have something
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5*

This one was pretty good. I am actually surprised with the ending and I flip flopped with my idea of what was going to happen a lot but it was good. Not a lot of rereadability though which is what I really look for in these types of stories. I thought that because of the way it ended, I don't need to reread the book because it was very clear at the end what happened and how and why which was a bit disappointing to me.

I really liked all the characters and I really felt that the
Erin
See more reviews like this first on my blog

"That was Kady for you. Inspiring devotion any loyalty. How did she do it? Why did we all fall for it?"

Kady was a rising youtube start with a promising career ahead of her. She originally had been a part of a two person group with Lauren. But when Lauren got sick and her vocal cords became damaged she decided to keep going until Lauren got better, if she ever did. With this caused their friendship to fall apart and Kady to become paranoid it seemed.
Whe
Boundless Book Reviews
I received a paperback copy of this book in return for an honest review. I was not disappointed. I rated this a 5, but I'd rate it a 10 if I could. In my mind, it was a 10!

This book follows Lauren and her best Kady; Who goes missing. Lauren is the number one suspect. They were both musicians until Lauren gets sick and is ordered not to sing or make music. Then when Kady performs as a solo act one night and then goes missing, Lauren is the top suspect. The whole book she is on the search for the
Melanie
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgallery
oh my oh my oh my! Wow, I literally just finished Girl Last Seen and I am blown...

If you like a book with intense characters, liars, deception, twists, turns and a serious mystery? Then this book is definitely for you! I love a good thriller which plays with my head and Girl Last Seen certainly did that. In fact, what I loved most about this book is I never did guess what would happen in the end. I was surprised, in fact I think that's an understatement.

You will question every character in this
Danielle
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Damn, that ending was unexpected!

While I personally wouldn't label this book as a "thriller" like the back suggests, it was really good and really interesting! Just when I thought I knew what was going on, something happened and changed the game. I liked the use of multiple points of view in this and how everything tied together in the end.

Also, I'm kind of obsessed with this cover? I can't even figure out why, but I love it.
Hristina
Want a book you can't put down? This one's for you.

From the beginning I was drawn by the atmosphere of who and why, and I kept making assumptions until the end. The writing is gorgeous, the story is wonderfully executed, I was doubting everything and everyone.

Recommended. You'll enjoy it, I promise.
  • Trust Me (Find Me, #3)
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • Oblivion
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • High and Dry
  • Remember
  • Trust Me, I'm Trouble (Trust Me, #2)
  • A Perfect Mistake (Hope Parish #2; A Perfect Secret, #2)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Filthy 4 (Filthy, #4)
  • The Third Twin
Heather Anastasiu grew up in Texas and recently moved to Minneapolis with her family. When she's not busy getting lost exploring the new city, she spends most days writing at a café or daydreaming about getting a new tattoo.