Start by marking “The Long Road Home” as Want to Read:
The Long Road Home

The Long Road Home

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  51 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Brooke never meant to survive, hoping that the suicide attempt would end all of her suffering. After years of rejection, pain, and heartbreak, she feels as though she's not good enough for anyone. Now she's stuck in a hospital, being forced to take antidepressants and is getting therapy for her issues.

And she hates it until she meets Matt.

Now Brooke must remember the past
Paperback
Published April 15th 2016 by Booktrope

To ask other readers questions about The Long Road Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Road Home

really liked it 4.00  ·

Melinda Howard
*This book was received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This was an intense and emotionally gripping read. The author does not sugar coat mental illness and the ending is equal parts tragic and hopeful. The writing was quite beautiful and the plot was good but some of the characters seemed a bit cliche as well as the situations the main character Brooke finds herself in. I also wanted to know more about Matt and why he stopped talking to Brooke after they were released. I was espe
Diana
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This book isn't an easy read. It tackles with some serious things like self harm, suicide, depression, anxiety, dependency... and you can see it is something felt rather than especulated upon (and when you reach the end the author explains it).
All the book is pretty raw, there is no sugar coating the things like self harm with a knife, emotions, thoughts and pain... and so on.
We follow the protagonist of the book from her "then" to her "now", which has landed her onto a hospital after trying to
Eileen
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
First of, if you want to read this book, please be aware that the story might/is very triggering in different aspects such as cutting, suicide and abuse.

It's been a long time since I last read a book about depression and mental health. When I chose to read The Long Road Home, I didn't expect to go on such an emotional roller coaster:
The story is very intense and raw.
It's also very emotionals... (You'll probably need a few tissues while reading it).

I honestly feel like the story is a little bit
Tania
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, but honestly did not like the ending. It was a dull end with too many unresolved issues. Also.....no one recovers miraculously within a week or two, so I would have loved if Brooke was given more time in the book to work through everything and really get better. Other than that, the book was good.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps

After trying to commit suicide for the second time, Brooke is sent to a psych hospital, only to find her nemesis is also a patient.

None of the characters felt particularly complex or unique; if anything they were beyond cliché. For example what psych hospital book is complete without an angry newcomer, hiding a world of pain and a mean girl who's really just hurting inside?

I believe that YA first person narratives should sound their stated age, not like adults writing teenage speak. THE LONG ROA
Stephanie (the nerdy princess)
I got a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This book was SOOOOOO good..... OMG

Big triggers about cutting and suicide

This book hits home about issues that most teens are facing... BULLYING being the number one example. But the real question is...do we really know what is going on inside of other people. Do we know why people act the way they do????

This book totally explains about what bullying can do to someone and also it looks into why people bully other pe
jenny lyn almazan
Sensitive yet enlightening...

This is my first time to read something about suicide. The topic itself is already sensitive but the author did an excellent job to convey the character's sufferings. I was saddened that in the end one of the character committed suicide. In my opinion, I just wished that Brooke could have replied to Jennifer's message as soon as she have read it. Maybe Jennifer was waiting for her reply. Maybe there is a chance that she might not have taken her life. But then again t
Sandra Burns
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Young girl, keeps falling in love. Unfortunately, the guys do not feel the same way. She starts cutting herself, and tried to commit suicide. Ends up in a mental institution. She finally gets help.
Kimberley
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book really made me feel my depression again, as someone who has suffered I felt a connection to the main characters.
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Thanks so much to the author for sending me an eGalley of this book for an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own.

I really loved this book. I wasn't too sure what to expect going in, but once I got into it, I knew I was hooked.

Similar to It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, this book takes place in a psychiatric hospital after the main character, Brooke, tries to commit suicide for the second time. By the way, I'm just going to warn you know, this book deals with very serious to
Shirley Cuypers
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta, ebooks, 2015
Original review

First of all I want thank Alec for giving me a beta copy, you truly are an amazing person!

The Long Road Home is a book about Brooke. Brooke isn't your average happy girl in high school, no Brooke is depressed and struggles with a lot of issues. Every time Brooke falls in love with a boy, it ends terrible. It ends deadly. It all started with Ian, and there were other guys too, but Jason triggered her suicidal thoughts.

Love is a vile thing. It's a disease, catching you by the thro
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an early copy in exchange for a honest review.

This is a heart wrenching book about a teenage girl named Brooke. It has raw and real emotions placed on each page. This haunting book will stay with me for awhile. I found it to be more intense than 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. The characters were believable and each had a story to share. It was hard to read without a tissue box next to you. I have been a fan of this author for awhile and he just took it to the next level. I loved the wa
Missy Noecker
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story about a couple of subjects that some people would rather avoid, from bullying to depression and having her happiness dependant on another person. It was definitely a roller coaster of emotions for me. Brooke was a great, believable and relatable character and I loved following her journey through all of her problems and seeing the end result. I think that many people can relate to Brooke in one way or another. I cried a lot through the book.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest
Shelby Smith
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a deep, heart wrenching book. very in depth to what young teens go through with depression and suicidal thoughts. I really enjoyed Brooke's journey. Truly a great read for those who need hope, and especially for those who have never felt these kind of emotions, it will help develop a little understanding as to what someone goes through and the thoughts they have. You never truly know what someone is going through. Can't wait to read other works from this Author :-)
Jammin Jenny
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zz-2017_books
I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaways contest, and I am glad I did. This isn't a book I would usually pick up on my own, but I found the story line very well written and an easy read. Also a topic that is very pertinent with today's teenagers and young adults. I recommend it especially for parents of teenagers and teenagers facing problems today.
Jerricka Habib
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like that this book emphasizes that everyone's journey to recovery is different. Everyone has something going on in their lives that they need to cope with.
Judy
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story is about Brooke and her road about surviving suicide and how she learns to deal with her mental disorder.
Wendy Kuypers
Emma Katherine
Nov 29, 2018
Green Eyed
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
**I copied this from another reviewer, it said perfectly what I was thinking**

I believe that YA first person narratives sho
livi116
Anna-Marlena
Feb 04, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: ya
Dnf‘ed at 27%
The idea for this story sounded great, actually exactly what I had been looking for, but I could not deal with the writing and especially with the characters!! I honestly thought about dnfing after 10% but tried to give the book a bit more of a chance.
Sorry, but the characters were annoyingly in-fleshed out, the writing was both too immature and too superficial (what’s with all the descriptions of clothes?!), and I lost count of the many mistakes I found on just these first 60 page
Alaysia Victoria
Sep 13, 2018
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
Feb 04, 2017

• The Hockey Saint (Forever Friends, #2)
  • Last of the Independents: Vancouver Noir
  • Betrayal In Blue: The Shocking Memoir Of The Scandal That Rocked The NYPD
  • The Life Group
  • Pretty Wicked (Pretty Wicked, #1)
  • Butterfly Kills (Stonechild and Rouleau, #2)
  • The Many (The Many #1)
  • Mrs. John Doe (Nora Baron, #1)
  • Incrusted: Hiding The Demon Within (Warepire Reverse Harem Romance, #1)
  • Throwaway Girl
  • Burn Girl
  • The Underlighters
  • Miss Demeanor
  • Seeking Sanctuary (Shelter Me #1)
  • Things I'd Rather Do Than Die
  • Be a Unicorn and Live Life on the Bright Side
  • Animal
  • Supernatural Slayer (Supernatural Slayer #1)
Alec John Belle resides in Carson City, NV, where he is currently attending high school for his senior year. At the age of 16 he wrote his first novel, Before I Break. His hobbies include reading, writing, and obsessing over Pretty Little Liars. He writes about tough topics that many are too afraid to talk about like suicide, homosexuality, self harm, bullying, mental illness, among other teenage ...more