Start by marking “Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)” as Want to Read:
Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)

Do You Want to Start a Scandal

(Spindle Cove #5)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  10,918 ratings  ·  1,387 reviews
On the night of the Parkhurst ball, someone had a scandalous tryst in the library.
• Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan?
• Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall?
• Perhaps the butler did it.

All Charlotte Highwood knows is this: it wasn’t her. But rumors to the contrary are buzzing. Unless she can discover the lovers’ true i
Published September 27th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Do You Want to Start a Scandal, please sign up.
Tessa Dare Hi, Kat! Glad to hear you are thinking about Sally! She's quite business-minded and practical, and it would take a very tempting hero to catch her…moreHi, Kat! Glad to hear you are thinking about Sally! She's quite business-minded and practical, and it would take a very tempting hero to catch her eye. But perhaps someday the right man will show up in my imagination. :) At the moment, I'm not working on it, though. (less)

·  10,918 ratings  ·  1,387 reviews

Tessa Dare
Jul 01, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this

Hooray! It's finally book birthday for Charlotte and Piers!

As you might have gathered from the blurb, this book's plot is rather like a game of Regency-era Clue. Except, instead of "Who killed whom with the wrench?" the question that must be answered is "Who tupped whom in the library?" That is, until Charlotte discovers that Piers Brandon, Lord Granville is a more intriguing mystery by far.

Order links and excerpt are posted at my site.

my email list, and you'll get a reminder whenever I have a n
Anne
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok, this was such a cute little mystery/romance.

And, best of all, it stars the brother of the hero from Say Yes to the Marquess! Remember him? Piers,the fiancee that got jilted because he spent 8 years wandering around the world as an ambassador for England? Only not really, because he was actually a freakin SECRET AGENT!
So, you know, he was really out there doing all that cool spy stuff....

description

Anyway. He's at this house party to snoop around and make sure the man throwing the party is trustworthy. Charlotte is there because her mother is a schemer whoAGENT!
So,
Stacey is Sassy
description

I’d take the scandal too.

I can honestly say there are not too many times that I find myself equally fond of the heroine as much as the hero. I admit, I pick and choose my reads based solely on the hero. He has to appeal to me in some way or form. So, I was excited to find that Do You Want to Start a Scandal has one of the best historical romance heroines I’ve read. Charlotte is quirky in a good way, smart and inquisitive, loyal and friendly and not overly vain. Don’t get me wrong, Piers is great, but Charlo
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Full review now posted...

I don't often squee when I hear about a new book release, but I always do when it's a book by Tessa Dare who makes historical romance fun, exciting, and passionate!
Blurb:

~Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan?
~Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall?
~Perhaps the butler did it.

All Charlotte Highwood knows is this: it wasn’t her. But rumors to the contrary arepassionate!
Blurb:
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

I adored, ADORED, Do You Want to Start a Scandal by one of my all-time favorite historical romance authors, Tessa Dare. It was EXACTLY what I needed.

It's been SO long since I've read a paperback, but it was worth having to read in my kitchen instead of my bed at 2 am just to have this book on my shelf forever.

I'm a big fan of funny, and Tessa Dare always knows how to write these romances that combine hot and sweet with just incredibly witty humor. I actually laughed out loud a number of times. I missed th
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog

Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Do You Want to Start a Scandal is a fun historical romance read filled with intrigue, espionage, and so much sexual tension between a mysterious Marquess and a quirky woman on the brink of ruin.

Charlotte Highwood's plan to warn Piers Brandon, Lord Granville of her scheming mama's matchmaking goes wrong when they accidentally witness a scandalous tryst in the library and is accused of being the couple in said tryst. The odds are against them—Charlotte and Piers were alone in the library of Sir Vernon Paruin.
CharlottePages.
Do
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lol, favorites, historical
5 “Oliveview” Stars!!!!

This book is a combination of James Bond and the game of Clue, and I enjoyed every second of it. It’s witty. It’s sexy. It’s everything “Tessa Dare.” When I think of Tessa Dare, this is the perfect amount of all that she is, wrapped up in one book. Can you tell that I love her?

à la Mode St. » fashi</b></span>
  <span id=5 “Oliveview” Stars!!!!

à la Mode St. » fashion

She unsettled him; he anchored her. Together, they could be more than they were apart.

à la Mode St. » fashion

This book is…..ONE…..GIANT……SWOON. And if you don’t like this book, then you can suck my aubergine (see below for definition of “aubergine” or you can just read this book!).

Ps. Just kidding. If you don’t like this book, that’s fine. Everyone can have their own opinion….please don’t hate me for saying suck my aubergine.

The Aubergine…aka Eggplant!!! Tessa, you put an eggplant in this book! Hilarious!!!!!!

Ok, let’s actually talk about the book.

Granville. Piers Granville…. is a spy for the Crown. He is on a mission as a guest of the house, but when Charlotte corners him to “save him” from herself, and they are caught in a misunderstood compromising situation, they have no other choice but to pursue marriage. Piers pursues Charlotte relentlessly, but I love that Charlotte doesn’t give in at first. She is determined to prove that they are too different, and she is also determined to keep her independence. I love that Charlotte knows exactly who she is and what she wants.

à la Mode St. » fashion

"Those walls, as you called them…They’re part of me now, and they are iron strong.” He lifted a hand to her face, skimming his thumb over her lower lip. “Even if I wished to, I wouldn’t know how to dismantle them.”

“I know,” she said quietly. “I know.” She wreathed her arms around his neck. “That’s why you need me. I’m going to burn them to the ground.”

My Piers:

”There is nothing untoward in Lord Granville’s mind. He has the most toward mind I’ve ever encountered.”

Men's Fashion Post on Instagram: “You can't ever go wrong with a classic style suit. Happy Friday ya'll Follow @MensFashion for more inspo!”:

My Charlotte:

No matter how she tried, Charlotte Highwood was unable to be anyone other than herself.

Charlotte is…….absolutely hilarious. And so endearing. She is described as “innocent, not ignorant,” and that is perfect because she isn’t worldly like Piers, but she has a natural inclination of reading people and solving mysteries. She pursues this mystery and finds hints here and there throughout the book. I’m usually not a big fan of mystery novels, but there was less mystery and more romance, so it was perfect for me.

à la Mode St. » fashion

”If I let myself come anywhere near you” – he caught her wrists and lifted them, pinning her arms to the wall – “I’d have your skirts tossed up to your ears and my cock buried inside you before the rest of them looked up from their tea.”

à la Mode St. » fashion

Tessa Dare is easily in my top 5 favorite historical romance authors. Whenever I read Tessa Dare, I just know there will be swooning, and giggling and sexy times. She has the whole package when it comes to historical romance. Her books and stories are always so much fun! I have loved every Tessa Dare book that I have read so far (I’ve read 4 of her books). I got an ARC of this book…..but I’m going to be buying the paperback to have on my shelf FOREVER!!!

This is the 5th book in the series. It is a standalone, so you don't have to read the first 4 to read this one. I only read one other book in this series before I read this one. Here are the first 4:
1. A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1) by Tessa Dare
2. A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) by Tessa Dare (my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)
3. A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) by Tessa Dare
4. Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4) by Tessa Dare

ARC courtesy of publisher in exchange for an honest review

Find me on

Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog

Sophia Triad
Charlotte Highwood does not want to get married. She wants to travel. Unfortunately her mother wants to see her married to a wealthy important man. Marquess Piers Brandon aka Lord Granville is an excellent candidate according to her mother, so Charlotte will try to warn him to stay away from her. A misunderstanding will result in the engagement of Charlotte and Piers.

Piers does not mind. He thinks that she is perfect for the heirs that he needs. He does not believe in love anyway. Wh
Robin (Bridge Four)
Kindle Daily Deal: 22Jun19 Amazon $1.99

4 Fluff Filled Stars

Tessa Dare is one of my go-tos for a story that is going to be fun, light and thoroughly entertaining. I start her books and before I know it I’m done. This is no exception. There is always something exceptionally cute about the story she is telling and there are usually quite a few laughs along the way. This was no exception.

If you have read any of the Spindle cove novels then you will remember Minerva and Diana’s mother wh/>4
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
LOVED. THIS. BOOK. HARD.

Tessa Dare quickly became my happy place when I'm in the mood for Historical Romance. It all started with the Duchess Deal. A couple weeks ago.
So far the Spindle Cove series have been light hearted, sweet, steamy and hilarious. All this at the same time. All I know is that they make me feel good.
Kissing her was all in the line of duty. But work had never tasted so much like pleasure.

I can't define really what makes me "click" with these books. It reads like a contemporary or a romantic cgood.
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

What are you doing to me? He'd whispered.
Charlotte had no idea. But whatever it was, he was doing it back.

Spoiler Alert: I like wallflowers and broody dudes. :) So, of course I liked this one. The way our hero was bamboozled by the heroine gets me every time. I would have liked to feel a bit closer to Piers, for some reason his background felt a bit underdeveloped, rushed or not delved into enough.
Charlotte was so open, honest, and willing to get her man; I quite delighte/>
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I adore Tessa Dare’s books! They are always enchanting, romantic, sexy and funny!

I love the crossover of characters from the two series. The heroine, Charlotte, is the youngest of the Highwood sisters who feature in the Spindle Cove series and the hero, Piers Brandon, Marquess of Granville, appears in the second book of the Castles Ever After series.

Clever, witty, vivacious, good-natured and forthright, Charlotte is like a breath of fresh air. Despite her mother’s ill-conceived attempts
Alyssa
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
4.5 stars. This was lovely!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare
Book Five of the Spindle Cove series/Book Four of the Castles Ever After series
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: September 27, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and
Caz
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars.

It feels like I’m committing the ultimate Romancelandia faux-pas when I say that Tessa Dare’s last couple of books haven’t really worked for me. So much so, in fact, that I couldn’t rate When a Scot Ties the Knot above a C+; the characterisation was inconsistent, the humour felt forced and it seemed to me that Ms Dare had crossed the line into self-parody with her frequent, knowing winks to the audience.

So I’m over the moon to be able to say
Grace Cieleen
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book in one day and I have highlighted way too many favorite quotes. I guess that is what happens when it has been way too long since Tessa released a new book. I hope and pray and pray and fervently pray we get more where all this..this wonderful, splendid magic is coming from. THIS COUPLE IS MY SHIP. THIS STORY IS MY SHIP. TESSA IS MY SHIP.

I am going to keep it simple, I mean - this is an overall feel-good, light, (super) sexy, funny, witty book from my fave author. But bias aside, thi
Esther
ARC from Avon and Edelweiss for honest review.

This was a fantastic read!!!! In EVERY WAY!! A six star rating if I could.

I am still processing this wonderful read and am not even sure how I begin this review.

We have two characters, Charolette and Piers who are caught in the library with a scenario that implicates them as "lovers". But in reality Charolette has come to warn Piers of her mothers schemes in trying to marry her off, but as she is warning Piers someone i
Jo
I’m here to save you.

Charlotte Highwood is tired of her mother's matchmaking schemes, so she goes to the library to warn Lord Ganville, Piers Brandon, of her mother’s plans hoping to avoid another scandal. Not knowing that a scandalous tryst will soon force her to hide behind the library curtains in Pierce’s arms. And unfortunate circumstances will paint them as the mystery couple.

“We’d be a terrible match. I’m far too young for you.”
“So you’ve made clear.”
“You’re the model of pro
Addie H
On Kindle sale for USD 1.99 June 22nd 2019

(Tropes: Marriage of Convenience, Spinster/Wallflower, Fake Relationship, Unstarched (hero)

description

Another solid Tessa Dare book with two very likeable characters.

- He prided himself on control. Restraint. Careful management of both internal emotions and outward reactions. Lives had depended on it, and Piers had never let them down. And then along came Miss Charlotte H**
2019
(Tropes:
Zoe
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book could have gotten 3 stars from me, which in my book, is not bad at all.

But I have decided to give it 2 stars. I loathe the ninny heroine Charlotte.

Maybe ninny isn't the right word. She just isn't a real character. And ditzy, yeah, ditzy sounds right. Charlotte is a fictional character whose "pretend" naivety really annoys me. The blend of "intelligence and innocence", I get it. I know where Tessa Dare was going with this. There are different ways of creating such a character. But Tes
Bubu
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, hr
Edit Sept 29th

After rereading my review, I feel like adding this concerning my remarks about the plot:
I can easily compare this book to The Hating Game. I know it's a little tricky to compare a Historical to a Contemporary, but in terms of plot both books stand on thin ice. However, they describe the hilarious story of two people falling in love. They are simply feel-good books.

4.5 stars - Read this with a pinch of salt

"Those walls, as you call them . . . They’re part of me now, and they
/>
/>4.5
Avid Booker
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Like Young But Daring(And a bit Naive) Heroines
3.5 stars I was stuck between a three or four stars. Honestly this story leans more towards three, BUT I bumped it to four for the small part that Colin was in, and because the whole first 2 chapters or so are laugh out loud funny to me. And because even after that parts were HILARIOUS.

This is one of those books where, you either like it or you don't. There are no inbetweens. And I liked it.

It's not as great as A Week to Be Wicked or When a Scot Ties the Knot and that's only
♥ℳelody

Really sweet charming couple. The plot? Meh. Not so great or exciting. But Piers and Charlotte are adorable so I would recommend this just for them. It's just not a very suspenseful or angsty story. If you are looking for a light fluffy predictable funny romance then give this a go.

But once again, I must say Dare really needs to be more careful and aware of her world building. It's a little too thin in some areas. There were some glaring contradictions, physical body mo
Sam (AMNReader)
Solidly in the top quartile...

I read this a year ago, and hilariously, forgot a lot of it. Not that it wasn't memorable, but that my memory for books is THAT flimsy. I hadn't forgotten the dialogue though. Whew.

Original Review:

I maybe stayed up far too late loving every second of this delightful book. The dialogue and push and pull, the WONDERFUL heroine’s courage and demands for her own life. The broody yet fun hero’s actions were so sweet...I’m not sure why I’m not giving
Desi
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Inane plot, ditzy heroine, vacillating hero who never solidified into a character worth knowing ... and wayyy too much sex that served No Purpose in terms of plot advancement.

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous resolution to the mystery aspect! It became an utter rubbish gimmick the characters wasted their time running after.

And more irritatingly, one the long-suffering readers wasted their time and head-space attempting to solve.

This would have irritated me less had the 'mystery' not been r
Frankie Lovely
Review to come

This was actually really great!

The entire beginning of this book is seriously laugh out loud hilarious ... and I mean that in a good way!

It veered from where I wanted it to go around the 70% mark and slumped just a tad bit for a little while ... but overall a really unexpectedly fantastic read!

BUT THAT COVER IS CRAP!
Mary - Buried Under Romance
I think I'm beginning to like Charlotte more than Minerva. :)
Warda
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 ⭐]

I just have the best time with these books.
Mari
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2016
\_(ツ)_/

I couldn't sleep last night.
Vintage
Best sex ed talk ever!

A solid 3.5.

I really enjoyed this book. Both the hero and the heroine stood out. She was adorable and quirky without being too cutesy, and he was a hunk of burning yumminess. He's a little closed down and refuses to be "in love", but makes it quite clear in every way with his actions and statements that he is head over heels.

There are quite a few funny moments as in the above mentioned sex ed talk involving the h's uncomfortable mother comparing men

• This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • A Lady's Code of Misconduct (Rules for the Reckless, #5)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • The Devil Is a Marquess (Rescued from Ruin, #4)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • The Study of Seduction (Sinful Suitors, #2)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellence. Booklist magazine named her one of the “ne

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
“I can’t agree to a convenient arrangement, my lord. Your devotion to duty may be admirable, but ‘lie back and think of England’ simply isn’t for me.” His voice became low and dark. “I cannot promise you everything you might wish, but I promise you this: When I take you to bed, you will not be thinking of England.” “Oh.” 10 likes
“I hadn’t simply taken a fancy to you.” “No?” He shook his head slowly. His thumb traced the shape of her lips. “Fancy doesn’t begin to describe it. This is closer to . . . an obsession. An enchantment, or perhaps a curse. You’re like a little fair-haired witch who cast a spell on me, and I can’t concentrate. I can’t sleep. I can’t think of anything but hearing you laugh and holding you close and imagining what you’ll look like naked in my bed.” 10 likes