Start by marking “Beloved Mess: God's Perfect Love for Your Imperfect Life” as Want to Read:
Beloved Mess: God's Perfect Love for Your Imperfect Life

Beloved Mess: God's Perfect Love for Your Imperfect Life

God's Empowering Love for Us in the Midst of Our Mess
Life is messy. And Christians are not exempt. Unfortunately, this is not the message we tend to hear. We're told to be moral, look good, and set a positive example. After all, as some people may tell us, we're the only Jesus some people see--so we better make him look good. That's a heavy burden. And so we work
Published June 21st 2016 by Baker Books (first published June 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beloved Mess

Start your review of Beloved Mess: God's Perfect Love for Your Imperfect Life
Mark
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great message. No matter how broken we are, we are still loved in that brokenness. Toward the beginning she said that we can’t let “God’s Laws” define us as to who we are or our self worth. The greatest takeaway is to know that God loves us no matter what our condition is. We still need to follow God’s Laws but just no let them define us. It is that grace in her stories, from the other people, that help those suffering.
Amy Langmaack
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, reviewed
It's not about trying to get rid of the mess. There will always be a tension in our lives because we are not in our heavenly home. Crandall points out that we're actually called to embrace it. To ask God to help us step into our mess with grace. With love. With trust.

This book pours out grace, encourages, invites you to find freedom and asks you to think differently all at the same time. The questions at the end of the chapters invite you to ponder the things you need to do differently. And this
Christopher Ray
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing

“When we stop stuffing down and hiding our failures, we see that God really does love us just as we are. This is freedom! We are no longer enslaved to our shortcomings. We no longer have to hide in shame.”[1]

I just finished reading Beloved Mess: God's Perfect Love for Your Imperfect Life, the newest book by Kimm Crandall, that releases this month. I approached the book as just another book to blog about, one that is outside my usual sphere of reading. What I found was a book that impacted me
Brittany
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Throughout our lives we might do things of which we are not proud. Hard as we might try, our lives are not perfect. In our culture, especially within the church, there has been a tendency to try and cover up the messiness of life. We want to portray ourselves as perfect to people. We want them to think that we have it all together. We find our own messiness shameful and act like it doesn’t exist.

The great news is that God loves us despite our mess. It is not something that we have to hide
Shaun Lee
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some authors dispense advice from a third person perspective, they have neither lived through similar situations or perhaps even journeyed extensively with multiple people in such trying times. Crandall writes from the pain of her depression and struggles to cope with life. The authenticity is alarming for an asian like me to come to terms with, and yet I appreciate how the book is not just a sob story about how terrible her life is - she makes a continual effort to point us back to the gospel.

Stephanie  Bishop
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that you felt you could have written yourself? That asks and answers the exact questions you have about life and God and religion? That touches you deep down in your soul and brings you comfort like none other before? Beloved Mess: God’s Perfect Love for Your Imperfect Life by Kimm Crandall is that book for me.

Kimm describes Grace perfectly. “As you likely know, the process of stain removal is not so much about the stain disappearing as it is about transferring the
Victoria W.
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life is messy. Yet the pressure to appear to others as though you’ve got it all together is a powerful force. We strive to act morally, look good, and set a positive example. After all, as others may tell us, we’re the only Jesus some people see–so we better make him look good. That’s a heavy burden.

But the Christian life is not about being less of a mess. It’s about admitting that we need to be saved from trying to clean ourselves up. In Beloved Mess, Kimm Crandall frees you to live with the
Savannah Moore
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would have easily gotten a 5-star review from me if it contained more Scripture. I believe any book intentionally seeking to specifically and convincingly communicate biblical truths should be saturated with Scriptural references. For that reason, I would not recommend this to a new believer, seeing as they would have to do a lot of work to make sure what they are reading is truth.

However, from my experience of Scripture, this book was definitely saturated with gospel truth in a fresh and
Just Commonly
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever feel like you're a "hot mess"? Well, I do, and in Beloved Mess by Kimm Crandall, we are reminded that that, yes, we are messy, but we're a "beloved mess."

"...Christianity isn't about being less of a mess; it's about admitting that we need to be saved from trying to clean ourselves up." (33)

In a span of 149 (including the Appendix), Kimm manages to release profound wisdom and much Biblical truth, giving readers the knowledge within. The freedom knowing that despite my flaws, my mess,
Joy
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. This is my honest review.

Though this book took a little while to get into (she goes on for quite awhile about what a mess she is), I am so glad I read it all the way. It ends with much more hope and encouragement for all of us, because all of us live messy lives in one way or another.
Many of the quotes she shared were by Henri Nouwen and Brennan Manning, whose works highlight God's unrelenting love for His Beloved--US!
We are
Michelle
Jul 02, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: Christian Women
Recommended to Michelle by: Baker Books

`Beloved Mess` is a Christian Living/Spiritual Growth book written by author Kimm Crandall. She wrote this book to her husband, Justin, who is her best friend. I like the following quote, found in the Forward, written by Elyse Fitzpatrick (I have reworded it some), I identify myself as a desperate sinner, loved by a great and kind Savior.

This book is for women who are trying to live up to everyone's expectations of what being a Christian is like, but seem to keep failing everyone's
Diane Higgins
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
BELOVED MESS
By Kimm Crandall
Kimm Crandall writes of life examples and stories of others about how life is messy. Though there were some parts of this book that I didn’t agree with, most of it I did agree with. For so many of us, we try to portray that we have it all together. But, underneath all of this, we really don’t! Our lives are messy. God does love us right where we are. We don’t have to clean up our messes before God will accept us. He is right there to accept us, mess and all.

Kimm
Shelley beck
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gospel revealed like never before!

Sitting here contemplating whether or not I should walk out on my children, husband and my faith, with nothing but my constant failures replaying over and over in my head, how my marriage is miserable, loving my kids but hating who they are at the same time. Feeling like it didn't seem to matter how many devotions, or how many acts of service I performed I still didn't measure up. But after reading this I realize He loves me....for me... doubts, failures, and
Blake Western
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The title expresses the central message of the book. God loves us despite the continuing messes in our lives. Our failures to not change his love. Our success do not gain his love. The author opens up her life to show how deeply God loves us in our weaknesses. Try harder is not what any of us need to hear. We need the Gospel for our lives every day and that is a message of grace. I highly recommend this book.
Ann Gemmel
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tremendous gospel truth told in a profoundly honest way. Kimm Crandall truly gets the magnitude of the gospel! Loved this book - a breath of fresh air! Want to buy a case and give a copy to everyone I know!!!
Jayna
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book came to me at a time when I most needed to hear it. After seven years of serving Christ, I'm finally ready to accept that I'm His beloved mess. I'm finally able to believe that He's okay with that. And, I'm finally tasting the incredible goodness and grace of the Father.
Jonathan
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honest words about our lives and the wonderful news of the gospel. We are beloved in Christ as we are. Crandall gives a beautifully written reminder of the comfort of Jesus. Come as you are and be encouraged. You are his!
Sarah Thomas
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it was nothing new under the sun, it was the right book at the right time for me. Honestly, when is grace not the right story for my heart to hear?
Connie
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
FTC Disclosure: I received this book free from Goodreads hoping I would review it
Deon
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review.*
Crystal Sadler
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
speaks to the soul
P Randell
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this book starts with two powerful statements that catch your attention and compels you to dig in.

The first: “Maybe you even fear that God is disappointed in you because you can’t seem to clean yourself up.” Kimm, hit a nerve for those of us who feel messy.

The second: “Perhaps you have worked feverishly to try to make yourself okay. After all, the Christian culture tells us that if we would just read more, pray more, and cuss less we will experience transformation and finally
Tina Maxwell
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me how God's grace works and that we will always be His Beloved, no matter what we do. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for where they stand in the Lord.
Regina
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
If you crave a big hug, read this book! Kimm reminds us how deep God's love is and His unlimited grace. It's like having this cheerful friend arrive at your doorstep who refuses to give up on you.
Megan Craig
Oct 30, 2017
Julia Rogers
Sep 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Soul of C.S. Lewis: A Meditative Journey Through Twenty-Six of His Best-Loved Writings
  • Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America
  • Seculosity: How Career, Parenting, Technology, Food, Politics, and Romance Became Our New Religion and What to Do about It
  • Jesus, Justice, and Gender Roles: A Case for Gender Roles in Ministry
  • Jesus Outside the Lines: A Way Forward for Those Who Are Tired of Taking Sides
  • Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
  • Soaring Eagle (Prairie Winds, #2)
  • Walks The Fire (Prairie Winds, #1)
  • Red Bird (Prairie Winds, #3)
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • Living in the Gap Between Promise and Reality: The Gospel According to Abraham (The Gospel According to the Old Testament)
  • Thinking in Pictures: My Life with Autism
  • Tulsa, 1921: Reporting a Massacre
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance Through Their Stories
  • Redeeming the Feminine Soul: God’s Surprising Vision for Womanhood
  • Same-Sex Attraction and the Church: The Surprising Plausibility of the Celibate Life
  • Co-Laborers, Co-Heirs: A Family Conversation
  • No Little Women: Equipping All Women in the Household of God
Kimm Crandall is a mother of four kids (15, 13, 10, and 8)) who is never short on examples of how God has flooded her with the excessive grace that the gospel brings. Kimm’s desire is, through writing and speaking, to bring the much-needed freedom of the gospel to others who have been beaten down by the “try harder” and “do better” law. When she is not on the basketball court, baseball field, ...more
“What you need to hear from me is that I am a mess, you are a mess, and that there is hope outside of ourselves; a hope in the one who came and lived perfectly on our behalf because he knew that we would make a huge mess out of what we have been given” 1 likes