Jump to ratings and reviews

Waves of Freedom #2

Anchor in the Storm

One Plucky Female Pharmacist + One High-Society Naval Officer = Romance--and Danger
For plucky Lillian Avery, America's entry into World War II means a chance to prove herself as a pharmacist in Boston. The challenges of her new job energize her. But society boy Ensign Archer Vandenberg's attentions only annoy--even if he "is" her brother's best friend.
During the darkest days of the war, Arch's destroyer hunts German U-boats in vain as the submarines sink dozens of merchant ships along the East Coast. Still shaken by battles at sea, Arch notices his men also struggle with their nerves--and with drowsiness. Could there be a link to the large prescriptions for sedatives Lillian has filled? The two work together to answer that question, but can Arch ever earn Lillian's trust and affection?
Sarah Sundin brings World War II to life, offering readers an intense experience they won't soon forget.

396 pages, Paperback

First published June 1, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Sundin

17 books2,639 followers
Sarah Sundin enjoys writing about the drama and romance of the World War II era. She is the bestselling author of The Sound of Light (coming February 2023), Until Leaves Fall in Paris (February 2022), When Twilight Breaks (2021), and four WWII series. Her novels have received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, and Booklist. Until Leaves Fall in Paris, received the 2022 Christy Award, When Twilight Breaks and The Land Beneath Us were Christy Award finalists, and The Sky Above Us won the 2020 Carol Award.

A mother of three, Sundin lives in Southern California and teaches Sunday school and women's Bible studies. She enjoys speaking to community, church, and writers' groups. Sarah serves as Co-Director for the West Coast Christian Writers Conference.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
29 (1%)
1 star
10 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 311 reviews
Profile Image for Hannah.
2,402 reviews1,323 followers
May 27, 2016
I think this may be my favorite so far of Sarah Sundin's! I only wish I could grab book 3 right now and dive in to Dan's story, also.

I loved the depth of feeling in the romance! Lillian is an amputee who wears a prosthetic left leg, so the attraction is not a continual round of legs, rear, and gorgeous hair—so refreshing! She and Arch fall in love with each other as they attempt to solve a drug ring providing soldiers with illegally proscribed phenobarbital. It's their selves, not their bodies, that form the main attraction, and I loved it.

An fully enjoyable edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense with a good illustration of true courage and faith.
Profile Image for Amanda Tero.
Author 24 books522 followers
April 10, 2022

Lillian's prosthetic leg immediately drew me into this book. I just haven't read about many heroines that had an appalling "disability" and yet, you love the character, don't pity her. I could identify with Lillian in many ways--her "cold-heartedness" (or "wooden heart"), her bluntness, her blunders. She felt very real.

Arch was also to be admired. And yes, what I admired most was that he was real. He had a very real, very strong struggle to grow through in his naval career, and he didn't tackle this struggle on his own--he continually prayed for God's help.

I've read more non-fiction than fictional WWII books, so this was a new type of book for me. I didn't think that the war was glorified in it--being that Arch was in the middle of a ship with men struggling with their nerves and Lillian worked at a store that saw the social war affects first-hand. It was very interesting and brought the era to life.

Being the second book in the Waves of Freedom series, I wasn't sure how Anchor in the Storm would read as a stand-alone. No worries. It read amazingly. I assume that the first book was about Jim and Mary; this second book is about Jim's sister, Lillian. There were some references to Jim and Mary's back-story, but it only embellished this story, it didn't make it feel like a gap was missing somewhere.

The spiritual theme of this book was that Christ is the anchor for our soul. Both Lillian and Arch clung to that. I really, really appreciated that, at times when one would be wishing for physical comfort from their love, they brought it back to, "No, Christ is my sure anchor." In some ways, it could be that this message was the only spiritual message in the book, but it was definitely very present--not rushed over.

The mystery in this book kind of surprised me (this is Sundin's first book that I've read, so she may usually have mysteries, I don't know). It was complex, interesting, and true-to-life. Another plus, in my opinion.

There were a couple things I didn't care for. One, being that when Lillian was taken advantage of by a former boyfriend (back-story), she didn't tell her family or parents. Younger readers probably wouldn't want to read this because of that situation, plus there was considerable romance throughout the book and some violence (murders mentioned, ships bombarded, things like that).

*I received this book in exchange of my honest review, from LitFuse Publicity*
Profile Image for Kellyn Roth.
Author 24 books832 followers
December 21, 2016
Right after reading it:
Wow ... I read that so fast that I can't remember a thing that happened ... except that it was amazing ... *falls back on my bed with a dazed expression*

After having reread it:

**Originally posted on Reveries Reviews**

This is going to be a short review due to limited time and me being behind on reviewing and struggling to catch up. However, I don't have a lot to say about Sarah Sundin's books that I haven't said before (not that they're the same, but that they all have the same level of awesomeness, and I tend to forget the differences in ranting about the awesomeness ...), so that's actually quite fitting. :)

That was another great story by Sarah Sundin! I can't wait until book three of the Waves of Freedom trilogy comes out!

Lillian and Arch were both great characters. All the characters are, but these two were my favorite.

I loved Arch in book one. He's a swell guy, pretty serious most of the time, always a perfect gentleman (that scene in the bar was hilarious!), but he is prone to depression and very insecure about being loved for his money/social position/looks instead of for himself. Of course we love him for his faults. Yeah, I know, in my last review I was going on about this guy who was perfect despite his lack of faults ... well, Arch was perfect because of his faults. It makes sense. Just trust me on this one.

Lillian is also pretty insecure (if you didn't guess!). As a kid, she lost her leg and now wears a prosthesis. You can imagine how that makes her feel! Overall, however, she's pretty confident about that, which surprised me. Her main problem is her 'wooden heart.' She shuts people out, pushes herself too hard, goes through life bluntly and without feeling. At least, his (evil!) twin sister thinks so ...

Which reminds me, I hate Lillian's twin sister's guts. I don't know why, but I just do. I suppose because I can't stand people who whine. Drives me crazy. I'm a lot more like Lillian; I'd die before I'd cry or complain or let anyone know I need help. :P

The plot was, of course, fantastic. Another mystery, which I didn't mind one bit! Very exciting, intriguing, etc.

It was also great to see Jim and Mary again, however briefly. I'm a bit surprised they're only dating, though, not engaged. Wait a minute ... no. I'm not surprised one bit! Thinking back, they just got around to actually confessing their love (after months ... and months ... and months ... not that it was irritating, but that their personalities are just like that!), and knowing their personalities ... this is gonna take a while. But they have to get engaged in the next book, mmkay, Ms. Sundin? They just have to! Please?

Well, that's about all I have to say. I hope you enjoyed this review, and I hope you'll go pick up a copy of the book yourself so we can fangirl together. XD

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Profile Image for Jesseca Wheaton.
Author 12 books183 followers
June 22, 2016
Wow!!! That was the sweetest, saddest, most amazing book I've ever read! And oh, that ending was so bittersweet. I do hope the next book will explain a few loose ends from this book. :)
Full review coming soon!
Profile Image for Anne.
502 reviews475 followers
May 12, 2020
Just as engaging and wonderful as Through Waters Deep. I'm a sucker for a good Sarah Sundin WWII series, and always need the next installment ready to go when I finish one of her novels. They are best appreciated gobbled up as a whole series, letting you be fully immersed in her world.

The pattern of the plot and romance were a little predictable (especially since I read pretty much all her books and have gotten used to her formula), but it was still fun to follow, and although the main couple wasn't my favourite, the romance was still very heartwarming and overall I had great pleasure reading this book.

Honestly, I can't recommend Sarah Sundin enough. If you're looking for a fresh take on WWII stories and like your adventures laced with tasteful romance, then look no further! I've enjoyed every single one of her books so far, and I've read almost all of them.
Profile Image for Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls).
1,514 reviews3,361 followers
Shelved as 'did-not-finish'
January 26, 2019
Wanted to read this one because of Lillian having a prosthetic; we don't see many characters in Christian Fiction with physical disabilities. I really liked her spunk and her heart for trying to figure out the drug ring part of the plot.
I'm DNF-ing this one @ page 209, though, because the war parts aren't personally interesting to me in the details that are being shared. History lovers might enjoy those parts better. Also DNF-ing because I'm not really a fan of Archer and his thoughts about/noticing women...
Overall, what I read in terms of content was similar to the prior book in the series with lots of war details, romance feelings, & noticing.

*Main Content up to page 210-
Spiritual Content- A couple Scripture are mentioned, memorized, & read; Prayers; Talks about God, Jesus, & leaning on Him; ‘H’s are not capital when referring to God; Lillian says she keeps a polite distance from God; Mentions of God & Jesus; Mentions of prayers & praying; Mentions of faiths & being witnessed to; Mentions of churches, church going, a pastor, & a sermon on someone in the Bible; A couple mentions of a hymn.

Negative Content- Minor cussing including: a ‘idiot’ and seven ‘stupid’s; Some sarcasm & eye rolling; Set during a war & all about mentions of it all; Ship/Water attacks (& including killing the enemy), Rescuing survivors, & finding bodies (up to semi-detailed); Pain & Injuries (barely-above-not-detailed); All about many mentions of sunken boats, attacks (including Pearl Harbor), rescuing survivors, bodies, & deaths (barely-above-not-detailed); All about many mentions of drugs, addictions, & a possible drug ring; Mentions of accidents that cause deaths & injuries (barely-above-not-detailed, including the one that took Lillian’s leg); Mentions of pain, injuries, & blood/bleeding (barely-above-not-detailed); Mentions of crimes & criminals; Mentions of thieves & stealing; Mentions of nightmares; Mentions of lies & lying; Mentions of rumors; Mentions of alcohol, drinking (a doctor recommends it & others drink it for warmth), bars, & drunks; A few mentions of cigarettes & smoking; A couple mentions of murder mysteries; A couple mentions of bleeding; A couple mentions of jealousy; A couple mentions of throwing up; A mention of thugs;
*Note: Mentions of singers & songs; A few mentions of an author & books; A mention of a car brand; A mention of the Boy Scouts.

Sexual Content- a forehead kiss, a nose kiss, 2 cheek kisses, 1 barely-above-not-detailed kiss, and a detailed kiss; Remembering kisses (with others, barely-above-not-detailed); Wanting to kiss; Touches, Dancing, & Nearness (up to semi-detailed); Noticing (barely-above-not-detailed);
Lillian recalls when her boyfriend at the time is fresh with her & nearly has his way with her (thankfully, others hear her screams and stopped him); Mentions of thinking a married man is dating another woman (he is and has dated many others); Mentions of kissing & seeing couples kissing; Mentions of touches; Mentions of dates, dating, break-ups, cheating, boyfriends, & girlfriends; Mentions of flirting & Archer’s reputation as a ladies’ man; A few mentions of jealousy; A few mentions of gold diggers; A mention of a boyfriend cheating & getting another girl pregnant (they did end up getting married); A mention of a long-legged woman working her wiles on a man; A mention of wine, women, & song being a sailor’s favorite; Love, falling in love, & the emotions;
*Note: A couple mentions of noticing a female’s figure (Arch, barely-above-not-detailed); A (teasing) mention of going around naked; A mention of underwear.
Profile Image for Shantelle.
Author 2 books352 followers
May 13, 2016
Another heart-warming, suspenseful, and altogether fabulous WWII novel from Sarah Sundin! I'm always delighted to hear another book is coming from this author - love her stories! Anchor in the Storm is book two of the WAVES OF FREEDOM series, and it does not disappoint!

Lillian Avery is a young woman struggling to get by unnoticed with her prosthetic leg, shutting people out as well as she's hiding her secrets within.
Archer Vandenberg, a naval officer, struggles with nerves and is determined not to be trapped in a sinking ship, or in a marriage with a woman seeking riches, ever.
With dark pasts to face, and mysteries unfolding around the corner, Lillian and Avery must learn to trust God ... and each other.

I loved getting Lillian's story! We were introduced to her in the first book as main character Jim's younger sister. And, of course, Arch is Jim's best friend! And now we get to see what's really going on their lives. *smiles* In Anchor in the Storm, we also got glimpses of lovebirds, Jim and Mary, and other familiar characters such as Quintessa and Yvette. Can't wait for Book 3 to see more from Quintessa!

Sarah Sundin does a superb job writing stories set during World War II. I enjoyed learning about the US navy, surviving breathless attacks from German U-boats, tagging along with Lillian as she gets a job as a pharmacist in the 1940s, and just fun peeks at life in general during that era. So well-written and researched! Ah. I just so enjoy these books! ^_^ Also am loving the dash of mystery Mrs. Sundin has been adding to this series. Intrigue and danger and plucky heroines determined to solve a case! *grins* Though sometimes grim, it's been fun and suspenseful as well.

I always like the messages, themes, and lessons woven throughout these books. Anchor in the Storm was no different. It had a beautiful faith aspect to it, and some real heart-searching and changing went on. I love the facing of past bad experiences and pain. The emotion. The healing. So beautiful and poignant. I like characters that have issues and struggles just like we do. I like seeing them cry out to God, and find His strength, just like we can! So yes, some truly soulful and touching moments.

The romance was heartwarming and meaningful overall. A gentle and sweet pursuit was especially fun to read! After that, I did feel that kisses were exchanged quicker and more often than was prudent ... so that's my firm opinion on that. But overall, it was lovely. Friendship. Blossoming romance. Learning to trust. Making mistakes. Fighting for something beautiful and worthwhile. Aww.

I rate Anchor in the Storm 4.5 stars. It left me feeling satisfied, my heart warmed, and excitedly awaiting the next book! Fans of WWII historical, you absolutely must read all Sarah Sundin's novels! ^_^

I received a copy of Anchor in the Storm from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Vanessa Hall.
Author 5 books119 followers
August 20, 2021
Sarah Sundin is one of those authors who is an "automatic read" for me. Even though I don't love all of her books, I usually enjoy them. This one was no exception!

The relationship between Lillian and Arch was nice to read - their romance was slow for the first part of the book, and Sarah Sundin writes romance like no other. Many of her romances are just sweet - not nasty and all about physical stuff. This one was definitely one of those sweet ones. I loved the scene where Lillian and Arch went ice skating! Another element I enjoyed with their relationship was the fact that they were both flawed and weak, and they both realized that and grew from that knowledge.

The mystery element of this book was better than the first one in the series. I feel as if this mystery were a little simpler, and that's good for me, because I can get confused if I'm tired or read too quickly. Or if my mind just wanders during one scene, and that's the scene where everything's explained. Anyway, this mystery wasn't entirely predictable, but it was much easier to connect the dots. I will say that one part of this plot was very predictable - especially if you've read a lot of this author's books - and I was annoyed before it even happened. This incident affected most of the second half of the book, so I was over that whole deal.

The moral/themes of this book were relatively strong - trusting the Lord to be an Anchor in the midst of storms (the title, right?), being strong in the Lord even when we're weak, and trusting the Lord to use you in different ways than you've expected. Although the Gospel wasn't a huge part of the book, there were definite Christian morals presented, and both of the characters were Christians.

This wasn't my favorite Sarah Sundin book, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm looking forward to finishing the series!
Profile Image for Jayna Baas.
Author 3 books136 followers
November 27, 2021
I loved the uniqueness of this story. Not the romance, per se—there were a few predictable moments—but the characters and the plot. It was unusual and refreshing to read about a heroine with a prosthetic leg. I really enjoyed how that was woven into the story and Lillian’s personal arc, and I loved the ice-skating scene! I was also intrigued by the exploration of combat fatigue and what problems might have arisen from unscrupulous self-treatment.

There was one particular section in which Arch was a double-dyed idiot (his infuriating trust issues seemed to come out of nowhere, and he deserved exactly what Jim gave him), but otherwise I liked him, especially in how he approached his attraction to Lillian. I always enjoy romances that take the "let's be friends first" route. I didn’t read the first book first, but this functioned well as a standalone despite references to the previous story. As always, Sundin’s historical details added great depth to the story, and the spiritual themes were well done. What a wonderful thing it is to know our anchor is the Rock of Ages. This is a wartime story with an added crime element, so there are some injuries and violence sensitive readers may want to avoid, but otherwise I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who loves Christian historical romance!
June 4, 2016
I adore reading Sarah Sundin’s books – the mystery is well-done, the characters are vibrant and endearing, the kisses are toe-curling, and the humor is natural and aptly timed. Anchor in the Storm fits the bill perfectly!

This Waves of Freedom series especially intrigues me because it touches on what to me at least are little known facts about America’s involvement in World War 2. I L-O-V-E learning while I read fiction, and Sundin’s books always give me an entertaining story with a fascinating history lesson as a bonus!

Lillian and Arch both have handicaps (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual) that they must overcome to succeed in relationships and in life. When they meet through Lillian’s brother Jim (the hero in Through Waters Deep), their chemistry is palpable. Watching their friendship slowly develop and then gradually blossom into something more lasting is full of smiles and heart-melting moments that are sure to delight any fan of romance!

The mystery to be solved in Anchor in the Storm is foreshadowed by Lillian early on when she jokes with her family that she won’t solve a murder mystery like her roommate Mary (Jim’s girlfriend) – with her occupation as a pharmacist, she says, “…it’ll be a drug ring.” Yep. Got it in one. The drug ring is far reaching and I loved watching Lillian really come into her own strength (and God’s) as she worked on cracking the case

But more than the history and the romance and the mystery, I most loved the spiritual theme weaving through Anchor in the Storm. Both Lillian and Arch – for their own separate reasons – had to come to the understanding that Jesus is the only secure Anchor in any storm, that His hope does not disappoint. Words that are true for their fictional situations, for the world during World War 2, for the world today, and for you and me today as well.

Bottom Line: If you like a blend of history, romance, faith, and mystery, then you for sure need to add Sarah Sundin’s Waves of Freedom series to your TBR list! Anchor in the Storm is sweet and funny and poignant, and it will gently challenge you to cling to the only secure Anchor in a turbulent world. Kisses aplenty, hunky sailors, a feisty independent heroine, and the backdrop of 1940s Boston will treat you to a delightful afternoon of reading with truth to take with you. Anchor in the Storm can be read as a standalone but you’ll love Through Waters Deep too so make sure you start there!

(I received a copy of this book in exchange for only my honest review.)

Read my full review at Reading Is My SuperPower
Profile Image for Olivia.
670 reviews101 followers
October 30, 2017
This definitely is one of my favorite Sundin books. Book three I enjoyed, but since it's the last in the series I didn't have quite the wonderful connection I would have had if I started from the beginning (and I know, that's my fault!). This one grabbed my attention from the beginning and I was caught up in the story all the way through.

Characters--yep, they're lovable and realistic. Arch and Lillian were a great couple, and I absolutely loved how they met! Their relationship with the others (especially Arch and Jim) was so fun. I loved how Jim was so protective of his sister :)

Setting--absolutely perfect! I mean, she writes WW2 better than any other contemporary author, and I thoroughly enjoy the details she puts in. It doesn't bog you down at all. Also, the every day life is so fun to read :)

Romance--somewhat typical, yet not. I love how they have a true getting-to-know-each-other relationship before they're actually dating. The typical part was when things kind of messed up for different reasons, and I saw it coming. There are quite a number of kisses, and for being a relationship that started as a good foundation, I was a little annoyed they were kissing so much when things worked out. Still, definitely one of the best relationships this author has written, and it was fun to read :)

Spiritual content--spot on! It's convicting and reaches into the hearts of the characters beautifully. Both of their struggles were real, yet God's Word was shone upon these struggles and they learned to overcome it. There was a couple hints of "forgiving yourself" which is a pretty well-known phrase, but I believe isn't necessary. If God has forgiven us, then we have to believe that, and not whether or not we've forgiven ourselves! Anyway, just a side note ;)

Story-line--Wow! There's a mystery and everything! I loved how Arch and Lillian worked together, and the ONE scene with Lillian toward the end was so suspenseful. I kind of predicted one part of the mystery, and found it somewhat humorous the characters were so surprised by it. But sometimes when you're experiencing something it isn't as obvious ;)

So all in all, I recommend this book to history and romance lovers, particular to late teens and up :)
Profile Image for Emilie Haney.
548 reviews66 followers
March 17, 2017
Anchor in the Storm is filled with mystery, romance, and historical details that will make you feel like you're living in Boston during WWII.

Coming on the heels of Through Waters Deep, book one in the Waves of Freedom series, follows Lillian Avery and Arch Vandenberg during the height of WWII. Lillian, a strong character with a past that haunts her, overcomes all odds to work as a handicapped female pharmacist. Arch, wanting to escape the stereotype of a wealthy son riding on the coat tails of his families money, fights personal demons from his narrow escape from a sinking U-boat all while trying to prove himself as a working, competent officer. When their paths cross on a mission to solve a mystery involving drowsiness with Arch's men and Lillian's pharmacy, they forge a partnership to solve the problem and possible crime.

I really enjoyed Lillian and Arches story. The rich details that Sarah includes truly make the story. I felt as if I was experiencing WWII with the characters. Lillian was such a strong woman and I love how Sarah crafted her as a hard worker with strength to overcome the difficulties of her handicap as much as her past. I also like how persistent and patience Arch is with Lillian and how he deals with his struggles.

Sarah's writing and descriptions will drop you completely into the world of WWII in Boston. I felt like I was there and experiencing the stress of being a Navy officer in a ship as well as the frustration of being a woman in a position that wasn't traditionally held by women. As one of my favorite eras this was the perfect read!

I definitely recommend this book to fans of historical fiction, sweet romance, and mystery.

My rating: 4*
_______________
I received a free copy of this book for review purposes, but was under no obligation to read the book or post a review. I do so under my own motivation and the opinions I have expressed in this review are honest and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Cara Putman.
Author 48 books1,608 followers
May 26, 2016
I love Sarah's WWII fiction. She is such a strong story-teller and researcher that her books sing. This book is no different because she has created such memorable characters, and both so broken that I couldn't help but cheer for them from the first page to the last. Lillian is a heroine with a broken body, but even more important, a broken spirit. She believes she is cold, heartless, and unlovable, because that is what important people have communicated to her at crucial moments. Art believes no one will ever love him for more than his silver spoon. When you put these two together in the middle of a mystery that could get them killed, it's a plot that wouldn't let me go, while the romance, mystery and history built. I loved this novel, and it's perfect for others who love a good historical romance -- especially one set on the homefront during WWII.
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,901 reviews550 followers
February 14, 2017
Anchor in the Storm, the second book in the Waves of Freedom series, was an intriguing continuation of the series. I really liked the characters and that the main characters from book one were in this story a few times (always love that!!).

I felt for the heroine and all that she went through due to her disability (although, I will say, she was very tenacious!)...and then hearing her story was heartbreaking, at times.

All in all, a good read that I think, if I wouldn't have been in such a reading slump while reading it, I might have enjoyed even more. Still, if you are a fan of Sarah Sundin's stories, I think you will like Anchor in the Storm.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*

Profile Image for Rachel.
353 reviews30 followers
June 15, 2016
I really enjoyed this newest book from Sarah Sundin. Just the right amount of romance with a thread of suspense to keep you intrigued. And I love the fact that the author introduces a couple of real life topics such as the disability Lillian struggles with and the "nerves" (what we now know as PTSD) that Archer is struggling with.

These characters are real and are each struggling with their own self-worth. Lillian because of her disability and Archer because of his wealth. They each struggle with actions they have taken in the past that have affected close friends and family. Their past relationships have also created some mistrust that make it hard for each of them to deal with the other in terms of loving and being loved for who they are. Nevertheless, they are strongly attracted to each other. Can they let go of the past, forgive themselves and trust God with the future?

Lillian is a strong woman with a determined spirit. She doesn't let her disability slow her down and she is determined to show the world that she can live up to her goals of being a pharmacist. I loved how she reacted and interacted with Archer. She gave him the cold shoulder at first but then once she learns to trust him and they embark on solving the mystery, their interactions were fun. Until you get to the part where Archer is stupid (angry eyeroll ...lol) and then, well ... you'll have to read it to see. :D

I so admired Archer and the man he has become and the man he grows to be by the end of the book. He's struggling with his "nerves" and nightmares about what happened on his last assignment, which is making it difficult to do the job he's grown to love. He's also determined to leave his family's wealth behind and become his own man. When he meets Lillian and realizes that she doesn't care about that wealth he can't help but fall in love! :) But circumstances and the mystery of the drugs that he and Lillian start investigating will bring him to a point of significant change in his life. He has to learn to trust God on a much deeper level.

And I loved how the author used the illustration of the anchor in this book. Not only is it in the title, she also references the song My Hope Is Built by Edward Mote. I love old hymns and the author uses this song to illustrate the importance of putting your hope in Christ as your solid rock and anchor.

When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil.

All in all, an awesome follow up to the first book, Through Waters Deep. With a sparking romance and a mystery with just the right suspense, you'll find it easy to get lost in this story! I'm looking forward to reading the next book!

*Thanks to Litfuse and Revell for a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions stated are my own.*
Profile Image for Beth.
55 reviews
August 5, 2016
I was so excited to read this second book of the Waves of Freedom series and, as always, Sarah Sundin has delivered yet another excellent novel.

The protagonists Lilian and Archer were refreshing and interesting characters - Lilian has an obvious physical disability, and Arch struggles with what we know today is PTSD. Also they each have their own hang-ups that has shaped their personalities and makes relationships difficult for them, so it was especially sweet to see them change and fall for each other!

As in the first book, there's a serious and dangerous mystery to be solved - this time it's a drug-ring. The tension and suspense is intense, I even cried at one heartbreaking discovery.
The historical aspect is brilliant, I really felt immersed in the time period and I learned a lot too, an added bonus! Each of Sarah's books encourages me to consider areas of WW2 that have never even crossed my mind before.
The spiritual message of having hope in Christ as the anchor of our soul was worked throughout the story really well, clear and encouraging.

There was one part that frustrated me somewhat - I didn't like how Arch reverted pretty much back to his old self and ways, it seemed like he'd grown too much and been with Lilian too long to be able to do that, but the more I thought about, it's a realistic portrayal of every one of us - we can go so far and yet fall right back, and it's only because of grace that we can start over once more. So although it annoyed me as a reader at the time, I see the realism in it!

Dan and Quintessa's story is coming next and I know it's just going to be as great as the rest of this series!

* I received a free e-copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Hannah.
153 reviews40 followers
January 14, 2018
Feb. 17, 2016 When will May get here! I wake up every day anticipating this book more and more. How am I supposed to wait?! Please, come May, please!

Apr. 5, 2016 LESS THAN A MONTH! I CANNOT WAIT!

Apr. 18, 2016 I need this right NOW! I just finished TWD last night (reread) and can't wait for my copy of this to arrive!

Words cannot truly express how much I love Sarah Sundin's books.-they're just so good! I squealed and giggled when I opened up our P.O. Box to find a key for a parcel locker - and what was sitting in that locker, but my very own beautiful copy of 'Anchor in the Storm'!

(First of all, the cover. Absolutely. Gorgeous.)

I have to say, I enjoyed this one a bit more then 'Through Waters Deep', and let me tell you that 'Through Waters Deep' is one of my all-time favorite books! I don't know if I've talked about it enough. But this book was even better! I could hardly tear my eyes away from it at certain parts. I made myself read only a 60-70 pages a day, so it would last longer. But yesterday I decided to read a bit more, and when I saw that I had less than 30 pages left, I decided to save it for today.

Lilian Avery is my favorite character. Her pluck. Her courage. She may be missing a leg, but she can put up a stand for herself! I felt so horrible for when.....well, I had better not spoil anything.

Arch is absolutely dreamy! I felt like crying for him and reaching through the book to give him a hug. I felt so sorry for him...his struggling.

*MINOR SPOILER*

And when Arch and Jim fought...*gasp*! I was shocked. I was torn between being mad at Jim and being even more in love with him because of his protective attitude for Lilian. So sweet! (Yes, he's still on my list of fictional crushes.)

When I finally finished this book, I was a little sad because it's over. I completely adore the stories and characters that Sarah Sundin has created! I'll definitely have to give all of her books a reread whilst I wait for the 3rd book in the 'Waves of Freedom' series.

Overall, I completely enjoyed this book, and adore it, and fell in love with the characters! It was fantastic. And I have to wait almost a year for book 3?! What?

I cannot recommend Sarah Sundin's book enough. I just can't. I can't talk about them and gush over them enough either. Seriously, you should read them!

5 out of 5 stars!

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my free and honest review. I was not asked to write a positive review.*
Profile Image for Dawn.
780 reviews75 followers
June 27, 2016
Lillian Avery is thrilled to finally get a chance at being a pharmacist. With most of the young men signing up to fight, she knows that qualified pharmacists are in short supply and most don't want to take a chance on a woman let alone one who is crippled. As she settles into her job in Boston, she starts to notice something odd with specific prescriptions to be filled. It seems that the dosages are too high. Lt. Arch Vanderbilt is grateful to be alive after his ship sank. Yet he can't sleep. When he is prescribed a large dose of pills, he starts to wonder if there is a connection between the medication and his crew's performance. Comparing notes with Lillian, the two soon find themselves in the midst of something that is possibly even more dangerous than the war. When Lillian begins to fall for Arch, she tries to stop. But can a wartime mystery bring two lonely and hurting people together?

I have been looking forward to this book since I finished the first one in the series. I was anxious to see how Arch and Lillian would fall in love. I've also enjoyed each book of Sarah Sundin's that I have read. But let me be honest. I struggled with this one. I'm not sure why.

The story was good, the characters were well developed, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't get into it. I did finally manage to finish the book, and I will read the third one next year.

But I've come to the realization that I won't love every book by my favorite authors. And you know what? That's ok.

I received this book for free from Revell Books for the purpose of reviewing. My thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not required to like the book, only give my honest opinion.

Recommend to fans of WWII fiction, Sarah Sundin, Cathy Gohkle, Kristy Cameron.

Rating: 3 stars
Profile Image for Maureen Timerman.
2,752 reviews467 followers
May 25, 2016
I should state that I’ve read every one of the author’s books that I could get my hands on, and loved them all. That being said this book is no exception, once you pick it up, your gone page turning.
We are back with some dear friends that we met in Through Waters Deep, and get reacquainted, and was happy to see Mary and Jim’s relationship moving forward. Jim’s friend Arch who we also met, and wasn’t sure if I really cared for him, but he seemed changed, and he becomes interested in Jim’s sister Lillian.
If you remember Lillian was injured as a child and lost her leg, and because of that she has been ridiculed and hurt by people, an x-boyfriend who said he loved her, and even her twin sister. Now Arch also has a chip on his shoulder, and he is leery of all woman gold diggers, or so he thinks.
This book brings face to face with U-boats off our coast, and dealing with the aftermath of battle fatigue, and how our soldiers were able to deal with the nerves.
There are some really sad happenings here, a drug ring, murder, and prying on our sailors. You will never see most of what happens here coming; I was very surprised at all who are involved, and I guess good old greed is to be blamed.
We see action in the seas, and a bit of romance, and a lot of heartache, as we meld into everyday life in 1942 Boston, MA. Once you pick this one up you will not regret it, and the next book is coming out next spring, the only time I really wish time would move faster.
I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Book Tours, and was not required to give a positive review.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
2,693 reviews6 followers
July 13, 2019
I liked the theme of relying on God in all things, the dual povs and the historical details, but this story was just ok. I enjoy a story that features characters who grow in maturity and faith; however, I do not really like reading about people who have so little insight into their own pasts that they develop borderline ridiculous hang-ups.

For example, my grandmother used to make sure I always held her hand when crossing the street by telling me that if I didn't, I wouldn't be blown away by a tornado. Obviously, I figured out that that wasn't true. When I found out, I felt betrayed that she'd lied to my face about it, but did I come to the conclusion that all my grandmother did was lie? Did I start believing that all grandmothers are liars? Or that holding an adult's hand when crossing the street was bad? Obviously, the answer to all of these rhetorical questions is no.

Given the fact that I was not a genius at four years of age and that I was still able to draw these reasonable conclusions on my own, I really couldn't bring myself to be engaged with the main characters' story. Their hang-ups just seemed so silly. The drug ring mystery and the PTSD aspect of this story were much more interesting than the characters themselves. I could've ignored all the personal stuff and have been very happy. One star for the message and one star for the social and medical implications of war.
Profile Image for Staci.
1,624 reviews503 followers
July 12, 2016
While I've enjoyed Sarah Sundin's prior series, the Waves of Freedom series is a notch above the others. My new favorite Sarah Sundin novel is Anchor in the Storm.

As with Through Waters Deep, I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery element. In addition, it was incredibly interesting to learn about how PTSD was "treated" during WWII and other historical details. Through Arch and Lillian's story, we learn the importance of looking at the heart and actions of a person rather than the surface.

I recommend the Waves of Freedom series for fans of historical fiction that enjoy mystery as well.
Profile Image for Kim Stringfellow Long.
193 reviews14 followers
February 25, 2018
A lovely story

I really enjoy Sarah Sundin's books! She writes wonderful stories filled with beautiful messages of faith yet she doesn't bang you over the head with it. I loved the story of these two broken people finding each other and leaning on their faith as they do.
Profile Image for Abby A..
46 reviews
April 8, 2018
A quick review here:
Loved the spiritual content, loved how the main characters grew but loathed how they relapsed into old insecurities making them act quite stupid-in my own humble opinion-I so loved the ending.

Please excuse the long sentence fragment.
Profile Image for Brooklyne E..
61 reviews14 followers
March 26, 2021
4.5 Star!

Can I just take a moment to say that if I'm reading a good book, I'll probably take a month to finish it. If I'm reading a great book, give me two weeks. But if it's AMAZING, the time it takes me to read it is a few days. In this case, 3 days!

First off, I love this series. The characters are so realistic, the mysteries so intriguing, and yeah, I just love getting excited about books like this!

Ok, now with the review.

Lilian Avery. She's a spunky pharmacist with a disability that leaves her with a chip on her shoulder. I love spunky characters, btw! She was so brave and I admired how she worked through her fear, her past, and her insecurities. I also liked how the anchor necklace her dad gave her reminded her that Jesus is the anchor and hope in the storm. This theme was woven throughout the rest of the book.

(Both books had Bible stories related to them and I love it when that happens in Christian fiction. Not preachy, but just so perfect for the story!)

Arch is Jim's best friend from book one. The readers get a different glimpse at his character. He's got a lot going on in his life and his role in the Navy has really affected him. I love how he always wanted to do the right thing. Even if that meant facing what he feared most. I don't want to spoil anything, but I wish that he and Jim would have made amends because I felt like I was left hanging. Hopefully book three will help clarify some of those loose ends.

The plot book didn't feel as intense as book one, but it definitely held my attention and I kept thinking, "just one more chapter." (I was able to piece together parts of the mystery, although one part surprised me). However, backstories felt more complicated. There was some hard topics covered, the author didn't shy away from difficult subjects of the timeframe.

I like the cast of character amount in book two better than book one. In book one, I had a harder time keeping track of everyone. But this book was easier to keep track of characters. I like how the MC's parents were involved in this book. <3

The half star I took off partly because towards the end of the book, there was a fight between MCs (come on, Arch... I thought you were done with "testing" your girlfriends. Is it just me or am I the only one who was actually glad that Jim punched him?!) that seemed out of character after all they'd been through together. One sketchy letter had him doubting everything. As well as some other minor stuff that bugged me. (The first half of the book was, for sure, a 5 star though!)

In the end, a AMAZING read and I'm so excited to read Dan's story next. Have I mentioned how much I like Sarah Sundin's writing style? Just, wow. It's a art and she has mastered it! I so appreciate the time put into researching and all the detail! I also love it when she adds movies and song titles to give these books such a old fashioned vibe!!

If you're looking for a book that grabs your attention and only lets go when you finish it, then I'd definitely recommend this book! (A slight sensitive content warning for younger readers...)
Profile Image for Carole Jarvis.
793 reviews42 followers
June 8, 2016
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/1t9XppW

Although I’m not usually a fan of WWII fiction, I adore the work of Sarah Sundin. Anchor in the Storm has that perfect blend of historical detail, rich characterization, suspense, romance, and spiritual depth – resulting in a highly entertaining story that was hard to put down. I’ve read five of Sarah’s novels, all of which are excellent, but I believe this one is my favorite so far. It was great to reconnect with Jim Avery from book #1, Through Waters Deep, and continue with the story of his best friend, Arch.

For one thing, I always learn something historically from every story. Anchor in the Storm follows a dramatic aspect of the war … the U-boat attacks off America’s Eastern Seaboard during the first six months of 1942, when the Germans sank one hundred merchant ships. In this early stage of America’s involvement, frustration was caused by a shortage of naval vessels that resulted in fruitless patrols and rescuing survivors. Arch and Jim experience this firsthand as they serve on the USS Ettinger.

Capturing the emotions is the fact that Arch and several other servicemen live with combat fatigue, which we know today as PTSD. Only those who have experienced the horrors of war fully know what this is like, but my heart goes out to all who suffer its effects. Even more heartbreaking is that 1942 was a time when men were put in combat, then punished for their humanity, making them fearful of seeking help.

Lillian Avery and Ensign Archer (Arch) Vandenberg are compelling characters, so appealing and relatable in their humanness that I would choose them as best friends in real life if possible. Losing her leg due to a childhood accident and having to wear a prosthesis gave Lillian a determination and desire for independence, and she became one of the few women pharmacists at the time. Arch comes from old New England money, yet he despises wealth and longs for the simple life. Without a war to level the playing field, this unlikely pair would never have met, and yet they both share a desire to be loved for who they are inside. I loved the romantic tension and slowly growing friendship between them.

“Arch had grown up with an aloof stained-glass Jesus, but Jim had introduced him to the rugged carpenter in the fishing boat, genuine and straightforward.” Lillian and Arch are both believers, but important lessons are still to be learned, lessons that speak to us as well. This world will always be full of physical and emotional storms, and the message that Jesus is our anchor, hope and refuge is needed just as much today as it was for Arch and Lillian.

Highly recommended.

Thank you to Litfuse Publicity for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Renee.
791 reviews
June 30, 2016
I'm enjoying this series which features the Avery siblings and their loves during the first years of US involvement in WWI. Anchor in the Storm follows Lillian Avery as she leaves her home to live in Boston to work in a pharmacy ran by miserly old druggist, Mr. Dixon. She encounters adversity at work and in her personal life due to a disability she's lived with since she was a child. Lillian believes a normal person could never love her because of her appearance and her "cold" heart. Enter ensign Archer Vandenberg, her brother Jim's close friend. He's out to prove he's not like any other man and even though he's wealthy, that he's no snob. Their story is one of intrigue and danger, not so much by the hands of a known enemy, but rather the unknown leaders of a drug ring that threatens their lives and the lives of those keeping the American coast safe from German U-Boats.

Anchor in the Storm is certainly a story that can easily marked as a book by Sarah Sundin. No other author I know can bring to life in a book the dangers of war and the complexity of everyday life like she does. I loved Lillian's pluck and cool composure when faced by enemies and Arch's loyalty to his men when lives were on the line. Unfortunately, Arch just didn't quite cut it for me as a romance hero. This is difficult for me to say because I count most of Sundin's heroes as book boyfriends. For someone who didn't care for money, he sure made a huge deal out of it. It was a little grating. He was pretty snobbish where Lillian was concerned, too. I kept thinking, "Girrrlll, please don't let this guy wear you down. His first impression was less than charitable and not in a Mr. Darcy kind of way". Oh well. Not every reader can like every character every time.

Honestly, this story was very good otherwise. I just love how Ms. Sundin paints such a vivid picture. Whether it's an alleyway in Boston or a battle at sea, it always feels as if I'm living the story with the characters. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next book to see how Quintessa fares in her dealings with the Avery family. It should be very interesting indeed!

*I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*
Profile Image for Caitlyn Santi.
Author 4 books78 followers
May 24, 2016
I absolutely fell in love with Arch in the first book of this series, Through Waters Deep, and even though Lillian was not actually in book one I couldn't wait to 'meet' her! So needless to say I was totally looking forward to this book, it was one of my most anticipated releases of 2016! And I am absolutely thrilled to say that I was most definitely not disappointed! Anchor in the Storm exceeded every single one of my expectations, Arch and Lillian's adventure was every bit as amazing as I had hoped it would be! I don't even know where to begin gushing, I loved Lillian, she has a permanent spot on my list of most awesome heroines! And Arch, oh my goodness! It is not often that a fictional character makes me swoon, but he totally and completely did *and I may or may not have spent almost as much time staring at the cover model who portrays Arch as I did reading the book*
I found it to be such a great message that Lillian and Arch are not perfect, they have both made mistakes in their pasts, and yet they are both willing to look past them and love the other for who they are inside! As a young, single woman I found that message to be incredibly meaningful and inspirational, on so many levels!
The mystery was so good, I hated to set the book down!
I admit that while I am a lover of historical fiction/romance, for the most part World War 2 is not my favorite time period and I don't often read books that are set during that time period but I always make a special exception for Sarah Sundin's books, they are absolutely phenomenal, so beautifully written with such fabulous historical detail that I feel as though I am living right alongside the characters in the 1940's.
I highly recommend her books!
I think Anchor in the Storm just may be my favorite of Ms. Sundin's books that I have read, though there are still five of her books that I need to read but I am hoping to remedy that before the end of this year!
I just can't express how much I absolutely loved every single moment of Anchor in the Storm, it is definitely one that has a permanent spot on my keeper shelf and I plan to reread it many times in the future!
I look forward to the final book in the Waves of Freedom series, and all of her following releases!
Sarah Sundin is one of my all time favorite authors!

I was honored to receive a review copy of this amazing book from Revell publishers in exchange for my honest review!
Profile Image for Haley S.
385 reviews
April 27, 2017

Wonderful book!
When I read Through Waters Deep, I really liked Arch. I mean, I felt kind of bad for him. He is a rich, good looking guy who just wants a girl to love him even if he is poor, not just because he is rich. This book told the story of Arch and, as you can guess, a young pharmacist, Lillian.
I am perfectly satisfied with this book! I mean, in any book, there are always ups and downs. But, I can't think of one specific thing I didn't like about it.
Before I go, I have to thank a very awesome person. Thank you, Sarah Sundin, for hosting a giveaway for Anchor in the Storm. I am so honored to be the winner of the giveaway!
I would give this book 4 stars!!!

Title: Anchor in the Storm
Author: Sarah Sundin
Author's Website: http://www.sarahsundin.com/

This is the second book in the Waves of Freedom series. If you are interested in reading this series, please check out my review of Through Waters Deep! https://covertocoverandeverythinginbe...

This review is written in my own opinion and words.
Profile Image for Meghan DeWalt.
Author 5 books99 followers
Read
May 25, 2016
It has been quite some time since I read a novel set in WWII and this novel had me fall in love with the era in fiction all over again. Sarah Sundin wove a powerful, intriguing tale expertly set in multiple locations, chock-full of history and a tender romance. In short--this novel has it all.
One of the best things, to me, about historical fiction is what you can learn from it. And it takes a masterful storyteller to weave the meticulous research done in preparation for the story, into the novel without bogging it down or having it read like a history book. A fine balance has been struck in this novel by Sundin--one that only adds to the intrigue of the plot and plights of the characters. Speaking of...
Lillian Avery and Arch Vandenburg support the theory that opposite forces repel--which is how some of the best romances start. Much like the timeless Lizzie Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy, the hero and heroine of Anchor in the Storm both carry a lot of pride, and prejudices and, even though I am a history buff, my favorite part of this story was watching how these two imperfect people grew from beginning to end. The funny thing? They grew most once their hearts were opened to love, to being surprised, to grace--and yes, even through hurt. Watching Arch and Lillian slowly but surely uncurl their fists to wholly lean on Jesus' name was a beautiful and inspiring journey to go on through this book. Fans of historically rich stories with depth of character and faith--pick up Anchor in the Storm today.
*Disclaimer: I was given this book by Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest review. I was under no obligation to give a positive review, all views within are my own*
Profile Image for Victoria.
71 reviews
March 19, 2018
Lillian and Avery are too cute together! While I really loved the first book - Through Waters Deep - Anchor in the Storm was just as good! I related to Lillian a lot as she was cautious to let people past the walls she had created. But I'm so glad she let those walls come down. Avery was so afraid that people loved him for just his money, it nearly destroyed his relationship with Lillian and Jim. I am looking forward to reading When Tides Turn!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 311 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.