Start by marking “A Beauty Refined (Sapphire Brides, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Beauty Refined (Sapphire Brides, #2)

A Beauty Refined

(Sapphire Brides #2)

Phoebe Von Bergen is excited to accompany her father when he travels from Germany to purchase sapphires in Montana. Little does she know that her father's plans--for the gemstones and his daughter--are not what they seem.
Published July 5th 2016 by Bethany House Publishers (first published July 2016)

Start your review of A Beauty Refined (Sapphire Brides, #2)
Michelle
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tracie Peterson knows how to create a unique story line. Pheobe Von Bergen is a good character and I liked how I felt like I got to know all of the characters pretty well. Things moved fairly fast but there was a lot that went on! Past hidden dangers collide with their present day which makes for a tad bit of suspense. The romance is predictable and not my favorite part of this particular story.
While I liked this book it isn’t my favorite as it was rather predictable. Tracie Peterson is a good
Rebekah Brown
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I have read a few novels from Peterson, and this is by far my favorite...as a 3 star read.

This historical novel has an interesting story line and a very easy read. The story does lack details and deep character development, but is still a decent read.

I might read the next story in the series if I need a audio book.
Brittany
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Beauty Refined was a very interesting, enjoyable, and easy to read novel. I thought the author did a great job at creating a very complex backstory to weave these characters together. And my, oh my! What a cast of characters they were!

I really liked Phoebe right from the start. She had been very sheltered, however, when her eyes were opened to the truth and many terrible things were revealed to her, she showed her strength of character. I also liked the spiritual journey that the author took
Lynne Young
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know that book you find excuses to keep reading? Well, this is that book, or at least one of them. I kept finding excuses to sit down and read just a "few" more pages. I can honestly say I was sorry to see the book end but really there was nothing left to say, at least in this book. Now if the author wanted to continue with this family that would be okay too! There are more stories here!

In the beginning of the book I did not like Phoebe too much. Spoiled, pampered, and oh so proper. By the
Paula-O
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Series Sapphire Brides,Book#2 "A Beauty Refined" by Tracie Peterson

This book tells of a German Count coming to America for Sapphires...He brings his daughter Phoebe on this trip and she finds America to be quite the treat and so different from where she lives.
Ian Harper is a Lapidary that works with Sapphires to turn them into the gems they will become. When he meets Phoebe he is enthralled and wants to know more about her.
Little does Phoebe know that her father has intentions altogether
Cheryl Baranski
A Beauty Refined by Tracie Peterson is absolutely amazing. A Beauty Refined is book two in the Sapphire Brides series. This book is full of surprises and unexpected happenings. Tracie does such a wonderful job with the characters and the settings. She makes you feel as though you are part of this most wonderful story. You will be cheering your favorite characters on in this story while you want to slap others. This is a must read book. Be sure to get your copy today. I received a copy of this ...more
Kav
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another classic historical romance from Tracie Peterson. And God bless this author for the way she brings faith to life in her novels. It is so intricately woven into the plot that the entire story would collapse if it was left out. And the attention to detail! From the title to the sapphire mining and refining -- such scope for parallels in our Christian walk of faith. Uplifting and hopeful.

Phoebe is in for a real awakening when she arrives in Montana. Nothing is as it seems -- not in her past
Carolyn Vandine West
Exciting twists and turns. The second in the Sapphire Brides series, I liked it so much more than the first. Starting in Phoebe’s homeland Germany the setting moves to Montana, a favorite state I was able to visit about 5 years ago. Phoebe is traveling with her father on a “buying” trip for a jewelry commission. She is unaware of her Father’s devious intent to buy sapphires at the local mines and pass them off as most costly gems from Ceylon.
This story will have you on the edge of your seat
Julia
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Beauty Refined by Tracie Peterson is a Christian historical romance set in 1907 in Montana. It is the second book in the Sapphire Brides series but can be read as a stand-alone.
I always love Tracie Peterson's novels. She writes good godly tales but is not afraid to tackle hard hitting subjects. Within A Beauty Refined there is the topic of domestic abuse. It does not always make for easy reading but Tracie Peterson sensitively presents it. Abuse is no respecter of age or status. It can be a
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Secrets. Intrigue. Sapphires. Romance. Suspense. Two Continents. A Family Torn apart. These all fall into the latest novel from Tracie Peterson, A Beauty Refined, the second novel in the Sapphire Brides series. From the family home in Germany, Phoebe Von Bergen and her father are in Helena, Montana in search of the treasures from the Montana Sapphire mines. Said to be of equal quality to those of Ceylon, Count Von Bergen has been hired to construct the latest in jewelry for the Duchess all ...more
Lydia Howe
Why I Choose this Book:

I've read a couple of other Historical Fiction books by Tracie Peterson that I enjoyed a lot. Historical Fiction is one of my favorite genres to read, as long as they aren't too romantic. Note: After I read this book and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, I looked back and saw I only gave two stars to the last Tracie Peterson (co-authored) book I read...

What I Thought About this Book:

Hum... This book. It had so much promise. And then it fell rather flat for
Mackenzie Carol
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A Beauty Refined is the second book in Tracie Peterson’s Sapphire Brides series, coming after A Treasure Concealed. Though I didn’t get a chance to read the first book in this series, I had heard both good and not-so-good things about it, so I was a little nervous when I picked up this novel. Especially since the last book I read by Tracie—A Steadfast Heart—definitely was not one of my favorites. However, I have liked some of Tracie’s other past novels, so I decided to give this one a chance, ...more
Inderpreet Uppal
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The moment I had read the book blurb of A Beauty Refined, I was hooked. A book that promised love, beauty, mystery and intrigue along with a historical romance begged to be read. I was not disappointed; the book is well written, full of surprises and twists that keep me awake. The times, culture, mannerisms, parties and times of a bygone era are depicted so perfectly by the author.

Phoebe is beautiful, sweet and a delight to be around, her gentle nature and calm demeanor was so endearing. She
Victor Gentile
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tracie Peterson in her new book “A Beauty Refined” Book Two in the Sapphire Brides series published by Bethany House Publishers takes us into the lives of Phoebe Von Bergen and Ian Harper.

From the back cover: What Does It Take to Reveal the True Beauty of a Hidden Gem?

Phoebe Von Bergen, the daughter of a German count, is excited to visit America for the first time while her father purchases sapphires in Helena, Montana. Little does she know, however, that her father’s intentions–both for her and
Carole Jarvis
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2aCLNnV

A Beauty Refined is an intriguing blend of history, romance, and relational drama, with spiritual depth throughout. Don’t expect this to be a “fluffy” romance, for Tracie has infused it with a richness of characterization and themes dealing with difficult life issues. The characters and setting captivated me from the first page and I never wanted to put it down. A Beauty Refined is book #2 in the Sapphire Bride series, continuing the story of
Amanda Tero
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
With just the first page, I was swept into the story. I really liked Phoebe - her attitude, her demeanor, her awe of new places. Each of the characters' past lives had stories -- and they were all very interesting and connected. They all had a purpose in the story.

As with Tracie Peterson's other books, there was a clear salvation message, which I appreciated. But there wasn't a very clear point of when the character repented and turned to Christ -- it left me guessing, "Oh, so did they accept
Just Commonly
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tracie Peterson has done it again. She has given us another captivating novel with A Beauty Refined, filled with intrigue, romance and an integral message woven throughout. Tracie's level of research are manifested in the genre and the story's setting, giving us more than a glimpse of the sapphire business in early 20th century Montana. It's informative to say the least. What strikes me the most with A Beauty Refined is not necessarily the romance, but the different relationships that takes ...more
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

Phoebe Von Bergen was so excited that she was going on her first trip to America with her father, but little did she know that this trip would change her life forever. As the story unfolds, so does the tension and dangers surrounding Phoebe’s life. And digging into family secrets enhances the dangers even further. Phoebe soon finds out that her father’s trip to America is more than just purchasing Sapphires for someone.

This is a story full of emotions and tension. Add to
Vera Godley
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting story set in Montana at a resort in an area known for mining precious gem stones - specifically sapphires. The characters are well developed and present a variety of personalities that the reader will either like or immensely dislike. The character I most disliked was Phoebe's father, the German count. He was arrogant, pompous, mean, and absent of any virtues. I believe my most favorite was Phoebe's younger brother. He was absolutely charming, sweet, and filled with boyish appeal. ...more
Maureen Timerman
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Phoebe Von Bergen, is following her father, the German Count, on a world tour looking for sapphires. They are now in Helena, Montana, and while her father is on a buying trip, she stays at the hotel and while on a walk literally runs into her dead mother.
Obviously all that she knew was a lie perpetrated by her father, and what she learns will change the course of her life. She has always done everything her father asked and he has spoiled her, but she is compliant for him, until…well you need to
Miracle Jones
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a good story line, but there were super cheesy moments towards the end. I haven't read fiction in a while but some moments seemed painstakingly fairytale
Krissy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
eh - I would not read again
the book didn't capture my interest. It just felt forced to me, and I skimmed a lot of it.
Julia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Laura  Lane
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
My thoughts:

What if everything you believed to be true was built on a lie or rather a series of lies? What if dark danger lurks in your past and your future but you are completely oblivious?

Tracie Peterson has written a story that is different than others I've read in this genre. It is at once mysterious, beautiful, frustrating, happy, tragic, uplifting, dismal, and hopeful. I did not read the first Sapphire Bride book, A Treasure Concealed, but this book stands alone well. It is complete in
Debbie
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Be still my heart. I just finished A Beauty Refined and I loved it. The right mixture of love, intrigue, and suspense was in this book. The main thing that struck me and made me really think, was the subject of lies. The H, Ian Harper, had been lied to by his wife repeatedly and when she died in childbirth, Ian swore to never trust anyone again and never to marry again.

Enter the h, Pheobe Von Bergen, who is in Helena, Montana on a sapphire buying trip with her father, Graf Frederick Von Bergen.
Brenda
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tracie Peterson Delivers Bestselling Historical Fiction with Romance and Adventure

Ian Harper, a lapidary working in Helena, finds the young woman staying at the Broadwater Hotel more than a little intriguing. Yet the more he gets to know her, the more he realizes that her family
Alyssa Tillett
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Beauty Refined written by Tracie Peterson is a well written keep you on the edge kind of book. The characters are well developed, and the plot and twists keep you reading. The story takes place in Helena, Montana. I was instantly transported to Montana through this book. From sapphires to suspense, this is one book you won't want to put down. This book is second in the Sapphire Brides series.

Phoebe Von Bergen is visiting the United States for the first time with her father. Coming all the way
Aubrey
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
📚Beth🐱
So far, this series has disappointed me. The books aren’t bad just average. There are interesting parts in both books, but more problems than good points.

In both books, the romances, in my opinion, happened too quickly to be believable and didn’t feel genuine. In this story, it seemed like the author was going for a love at first sight angle, which didn’t work and I don’t believe in it anyway.

Also, both books seemed to place a little too much emphasis on looks. The men were always
Kimberly Taylor
Sep 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for the second in this series, but was disappointed. I did not care for the main romance at all, I have no idea what the hero saw in the heroine. She was so vapid despite attempts to make her seem strong and interesting, she just wasn't. (To be fair, she was exactly what her time period said she should be, a pretty ornament for a man to show off, but that doesn't make for fun reading).

I really did not like how abuse was portrayed, it was overly dramatic. However, I think the men
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Oct 29, 2015 11:36AM

• Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • The Reluctant Warrior (High Sierra Sweethearts, #2)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love, #1)
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)
  • The Jewel of His Heart (Heart of the West, #2)
  • Holding the Fort (Fort Reno, #1)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • The Reluctant Duchess (Ladies of the Manor, #2)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • The Potter's Lady (Refined by Love, #2)
  • A Daring Sacrifice (An Uncertain Choice, #2)
  • A Search for Refuge (Haven Manor, #0.5)
  • A Heart Most Worthy
  • Together Forever (Orphan Train, #2)
  • Searching for You (Orphan Train, #3)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison

Sapphire Brides (3 books)
  • A Treasure Concealed (Sapphire Brides, #1)
  • A Love Transformed (Sapphire Brides, #3)