Start by marking “The Gallery” as Want to Read:
The Gallery

The Gallery

An historical art mystery set in the Roaring Twenties!

It’s 1929, and twelve-year-old Martha has no choice but to work as a maid in the New York City mansion of the wealthy Sewell family. But, despite the Gatsby-like parties and trimmings of success, she suspects something might be deeply wrong in the household—specifically with Rose Sewell, the formerly vivacious lady of t
Published June 14th 2016 by Dial Books

Wendy Darling
Putting this audiobook on hold 8 chapters in.

I like the story, and I usually really like Jorjeana Marie's narration, but I find the broad, exaggerated accent she's doing for this 1920s book too distracting. I keep picturing a little girl playing dressup/make-believe imitating gangster/mob movies. :/ I guess I'll try to get ahold of the book eventually...
Cindy Burnett
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Set in the late 1920’s, The Gallery is a fast-moving, highly entertaining read that is a combination of historical fiction and gothic mystery. Expelled from school at age 12, Martha goes to work in the Sewell mansion alongside her mother. The longer Martha works at the 5th Avenue mansion, the more Martha begins to suspect that everything is not as it seems at the Sewell household. Meanwhile, she discovers that paintings in the Sewell’s gallery contain messages that someone is hoping Mar
Renee Hale
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this advanced readers copy at ALA Midwinter in Boston.

I adored this book! I don't read a lot of middle grade and was hesitant to pick The Gallery up. What made me give it a chance?

1. It's set in 1929 - a FUN time period to read about
2. It revolves around service - I love books about service, I find it fascinating
3. Martha is plucky - the way she forgets she is in service and can't talk to people the way she does
4. It didn't read like a middle grade book - what I mean by that is the
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

The late 1920s setting of this book was the shining star. I loved Fitzgerald’s details, especially those that are particularly clever in retrospect. In addition to history (1929 stock crash, Sacco and Vanzetti), there are a lot of art and mythology references.
The book is well-crafted and well-researched and serves as a great introduction for middle-grade readers; I think it will inspire readers to do outside research as well.

“Hasn’t the world always been full of monsters and lies? Isn’t
Vikki VanSickle
1928, Brooklyn. Martha is the daughter of a housekeeper who has started working in the home of newspaper magnate Mr. Sewell. Martha accompanies her mother only to get caught up in a mystery surrounding his wife, Rose. In her youth Rose was a charming party girl, but now she spends her days ranting and raving about paintings in a locked bedroom. What happened to Rose? Why is she obsessed with the paintings? And who is leaking stories about the Sewells- some of them untrue- to the tabloids?

From th
Emily
This is a book that I would have loved as a middle-grade reader, and it would be an excellent choice for any younger readers who enjoy historical fiction grounded in strong, detailed settings. I would have written a derivative fanfic of this book if I had read it when I was 10. It has everything you could possibly want: a plucky teenage heroine! A romantic, rich recluse! Very obvious references to the New York City of 1929 (including (view spoiler) ...more
Nadja
I listened to this on audio (mostly doing a puzzle) and honestly I'm not sure if I would have finished the book if I'd read it as an ebook. Because the book felt very slow - except the 1920's ending which felt rushed(, illogical) and yet very satisfying.
Radha
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This was SUCH A FUN READ!!! this book, the theme, atmosphere is right up my alley! I just loved it!! I loved the story so much that it makes me feel sad the fact that the ending was so anticlimactic and abrupt! it was almost like the author got tired of writing and decided to end it right away regardless of what was the story about and how creative unique the entire thing is, except for the ending of course.
I love the mixture of art, and the way the main characters uses it as a form of communic
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell
YOU HAD ME AT THE WESTING GAME

I LOVE THAT SHIT
April
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
So.....while I liked the mystery central to the book...I took issue with several things which influenced my overall opinion of just two stars.....

First off, AUTHORS! DON'T EVER SPOIL A CLASSIC NOVEL BY REVEALING ITS SECRETS! EVER!!!! Especially when that novel happens to be the greatest novel written in the English language: Jane Eyre. Why, why WHY, in a book for young people would you give that away? You've ruined their experience for that (in this case, very delicious!) novel when they pick it
Diane
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This one took my 11-year-old and I a very long time to get through.

Very interesting time period and we enjoyed looking at the art pieces online while they were being described by Martha as she unraveled the mystery and clues from Rose.

The end seemed rushed and we both found it confusing. Just seemed unsettled.

☆ Shannon ☆
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a couple of days ago and I loved it! Not 5 star good in my opinion but I would still recommend it to others! Such a compelling story line and lovely characters! That's why I finished it so quickly! Read this book!!!
dachs.what.she.read
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Based on a true story during prohibition, Martha is working with her mother for the very wealthy Sewell family. Mrs. Sewell (Rose) the original benefactor of the family fortune, has unfortunately become a raving recluse. Martha begins to suspect Rose is speaking through her rotating gallery of paintings and all might not be what it seems. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Gatsby is my favorite book so this was a must, being based on a famous 1920’s caper involving a true feminist and great escape just add
JumbleofJargon
a reluctant 3 stars

There are jars of molasses faster than this plot.

Nonetheless, I absolutely adored the author's note. In an odd way, I think it's inspired me to exert more effort to live and learn willingly instead of merely existing.

A Quote That Stood Out to Me:
"Hasn't the world always been full of monsters and lies? Isn't it our place to fight them, to tell the truth, to rewrite the story? To ensure the return of spring in a world of winter?

In hindsight, I think this felt slow and took me
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging and clever story. I am always a fan of a good art mystery book. This is middle grade reading that doesn't talk down to the younger set. We need more books like this one.
Kaylin Evans
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I cannot figure out who's supposed to be the target audience for this book. Hell, I couldn't even nail down the age of the main character.

In the audiobook version, the narrator gives Martha a very young voice and a lot of her actions and words match this, making her seem to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-9 years old. The opening scene, however, has her lying about her menses, putting her around 12-ish (which I'm pretty sure is her real age), and later in the book she has a pretty deep kno
C.J. Milbrandt
Historical, set in 1929 New York. My, how times have changed. I found myself cringing every time Mr. Sewell opened his mouth. His self-important, era-honest attitudes toward women, immigrants, religion, servants, politics, and the general populace are ... rather infuriating. I'm sure others readers will be as eager as I was for him to get some form of comeuppance.

Martha, the main character, is certainly no angel. A glib liar, an irreverent sass, an unapologetic shirker, and a fearless meddler—h
Shannon
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun little book (written for middle grade readers) that incorporates not only art history, but real life people from the 1920s. I can't wait for my 6th grader to read it. I'm crossing my fingers she'll want to search for the paintings online.
Amy
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I found this story to be far less engaging and personable than her last. Disappointed.
Lauren Hillman
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I wrote a super long detailed review that failed to upload and am way too annoyed to write it all again.

Highlights:

Good writing, good story but I didn't connect to it much.

I was super into Rose but she wasn't in enough scenes for me! Give me a whole book on Wild Rose.

Lots of things to like but mainly left me with a feeling of despair and hopelessness over how little progress society has made (regarding our impulse to call women crazy, irrational, over dramatic, etc AND allowing news me
Marisa
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read the book, didn’t listen to audio-don’t know if I’d like the accents.
Historical fiction with a mystery, first set in 2016, then the majority set in 1928/1929.
It takes while to build, but the book does have a lot of descriptions that make it seem very real in my imagination. Believable plot, no, fun read once you get to the climax and ending, yes.
Maria
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure about this book, but is it just me or I think that this plot is a bit dragging and boring?
I tried to read through the end, but I just wanted to DNF it, so I decided to just skip and go through the end, which is not a good thing, but anyway.
Maybe I'll find my way back to this book again.
Lucy King
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How much I enjoyed this one. I am very surprised. I did not know what to expect from this story. It was so funny and etertaining. Martha was a great character and Rose and her story and how she managed to get Martha to discover the paintings and the clues to help, I loved it. I devoured the story in two evenings. After so many fantasy stories Ive read this year it was very nice to read something from real life, real history.
Do not feel discouraged to read this if you see the middle grade tag and
Emma Sonck
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best middle grade books I've ever read. It's amazing. Love the story and love the writing. It's perfect.
Selah Pike
If I’d been listening to this alone, I would’ve DNF pretty quickly, but my kids were enjoying it. The story does not live up to the beautiful cover. Yawn.
Jenni Heins
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Wonderful story that includes historical details of the stock market crash, famous artworks, and real newspaper clippings the author used to compile this book's plot.
Jenna
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was actually pretty good considering it's aimed at an audience much younger than myself! The plot was very unexpected and i enjoyed the historical setting!
Clara
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Wasn't bad, wasn't amazing. A quick, easy, entertaining read about a mysterious recluse living in a mansion with a lot of paintings in the 1920s. I really liked the main character, Martha, she was so funny and daring! I also really appreciated the research the author did for this book. There's still a certain plot point I'm confused about though.
Kimberly Wargin
Happily, another book in where the youth is empowered with common sense, street smarts and a whole lot of compassion.
Ruby
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is thoughtful, excellently intertwined, and has great character development and pacing without being oversimplified and cliche.

I really like that though this book is for a younger audience, it doesn't dumb down ideas and makes the story so believable that you almost think it could really happen. It's great that it's based off a mix of real-life events.

I really, really like the main character Martha O'Doyle, who is very much like Piper McCloud from The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria For

• A Properly Unhaunted Place
  • The Detective's Assistant
  • Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter
  • The Art of the Swap
  • Chasing Secrets
  • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #1)
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • The Many Reflections of Miss Jane Deming
  • The Inn Between
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Last in a Long Line of Rebels
  • The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle
  • Sweet Home Alaska
  • Full of Beans
  • The Girl in the Torch
  • Dear Hank Williams
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
“but the way i see it is, hasn't it been long enough? Hasn't the world always been full of monsters and lies? Isn't it our place to fight them, to tell the truth, to rewrite the story? to ensure the return of spring in a world of winter” 3 likes
“The parents of Success are a Little Bit of Luck and Not a Little Bit of Money,” 1 likes