Start by marking “Dissension (Echo Hunter 367, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dissension (Echo Hunter 367, #1)

Dissension

(Echo Hunter 367 #1)

For four hundred years, the Church has led the remnants of humanity as they struggle for survival in the last inhabited city. Echo Hunter 367 is exactly what the Church created her to be: loyal, obedient, lethal. A clone who shouldn’t care about anything but her duty. Who shouldn’t be able to.

When rebellious citizens challenge the Church’s authority, it is Echo’s duty to h
Published March 15th 2016 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Dissension, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dissension

Start your review of Dissension (Echo Hunter 367, #1)
carol.
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Alias, Dark Angel, Canticle for L.
Recommended to carol. by: Justine

It is not always easy to say why some books spark our interest, is it? In retrospect, I'm not actually clear on why I added this book to my list, and even less so why I bought it. I know a quartet of reviews from friends at SpecFic drew my attention to it, and a Kindle sale undoubtedly made it an easier choice. I think it is the lure of the elusive strong female character, a woman with determination and discipline coupled with my fondness for the post-apocolypse genre that sucked me in.

I normall
Lindsay
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A clone warrior asks too many questions of the leadership of the last city.

Echo Hunter 367 is called that because she's the fifth member 'E' of batch 367 of genetically enhanced clones filling the role of Hunter for the bizarre Church that she serves. They have a priest-class who are genetic engineers and technologists, and nuns who carry the clones and raise them, and a Saint who's the critical living mind that interfaces with the computers that run the last city on Earth.

It's grim and dark dys
Justine
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
We are made to serve.

In this post-apocalyptic tale Echo Hunter 367 is fifth in clone batch 367, bred to be a strong lethal warrior, with unquestioning loyalty to the Church. The Church is not so much a religious organization as it is an organization of totalitarian governance, originally formed to protect the straggling remnants of humanity living the City. There is some limited technology, which is controlled by the Church, and things have not changed all that much for the last 400 years.

Echo
Lata
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Echo Hunter is scary, totally brainwashed by the Church to do all sorts of unpleasant things, and is also conflicted but not all that aware of how conflicted she is as a Church enforcer/security/investigator. Her tangled feelings get all the more so when she meets Lia, the doctor for the near-ish habitation "helped" by the Church. Echo falls for Lia, who cares a lot for the other cityens (inhabitants), and Echo is roped into helping with the constant stream of inhabitants' injuries and ills. All ...more
Robyn
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4.5, I think. Hugely enjoyable, tightly wound post-apocalyptic novel. In some ways there are more questions than answers in this one, something that normally drives me a little crazy, but I loved Echo so much that it hardly mattered.
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Four hundred years before the start of this book, the world fell. Humanity was almost lost - as everything was wiped out. But humans did survive, and now four hundred years later, they are truly making a comeback, thanks to the Church and the Saint. The Church has scoured through debris and rubble to find documents, technology, data - to try to save the human race. The technology we know of today, was lost in the fall, so humans have been finding pieces of equipment, or text that explains some t ...more
Stephen
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to friend Carol for suggesting this gem. Nothing particularly new in Dissension but the whole is soooo well done.

A dystopian future where little is left but a small ruined city. Watching over it is the Church and the Saint, providing power and protection but at a price the local citizens have become unwilling to pay. Enter Hunter 367, a soldier of the church who has begun to doubt her service and is cast out. Enter Lia a cityen medic who believes in service above all else. Will Church or
SmartBitches
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Dissension isn’t what I expected, but it sure is good. This dystopian novel has a romance in it, but it’s not a romance novel, per se, and the ending is bittersweet at best. Those looking for a happy love story will be disappointed, but those interested in a character-driven, solid, bittersweet science fiction story will be more than satisfied.

This story has good world-building and good dystopian premise (it made me think of a considerably less grim Can
Rain
"The girl Hunter murdered in the desert was only thirteen."
How's that for an opening sentence? So, 400 years ago the apocalypse happened, and the Church is now in control of the city, where the remaining survivors have divided into three Claves/sections. At the Church, there are the priests, genetic engineers in charge of the creation of the hunters, clones with enhanced strength, sight and hearing, soldiers loyal to the Church. To bear and raise them, there are the nuns, previously
Mary Robinette Kowal
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
This is a post, post, post apocalypse novel that had so much really cool stealth world-building going on in it. The main character, Echo, is compelling in part because she has her coming-of-age story as an adult.
Frank Van Meer
There's a lot to like about the story and the protagonist, Echo Hunter 367. She reminded me a lot of Natasha Ionadis, a very devout, dedicated servant of the Church, an entity that stands as the last bulwark against total destruction of the remaining survivors of mankind.

Echo is a troubled soul, constantly at war with herself and torn between what she wants to believe and what her rational mind thinks. We spend a lot of time inside her head, as she continues to do the Church's work, which includ
Beth Cato
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Berg's book is a different take on a dystopia, utilizing a setting 400 years after an apocalypse has largely set humanity back to its ancient ways. The exception is within the Church, where a Saint--a rare woman born with DNA that makes her compatible with haphazard ancient computers--manages the city, utilities, and keeps her people alive. Hunter Echo is raised within the Church as a kind of elite military police officer, and she knows something almost no one else does: the current Saint was un ...more
XR
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Chip
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
3.5 stars - and good enough, with enough of a cliffhanger ending, that I’ll read the second. Actually, rather than a cliffhanger ending, perhaps better said that this book felt incomplete, as part of a duology, rather than a stand alone book (even one that is the first of a series). Interesting worldbuilding (a post-apocalyptic cross b/t A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Sparrow and, I dunno, something with female killer clones).
Jon
Legalese, legalese, legalese....I'm part of the Harper Voyager Super Reader program, going on 2 1/2 years now, which basically means free books in return for honest reviews, and the occasional swag bag. Score! While not every book is a winner, I'm having a pretty good run and besides, it's free books and I already post reviews...it's a win-win!

So, I thought I was burned out on the whole Dystopian future thing. Stacey Berg's book made me rethink that, but it took a minute. Seriously, I went into
Steven Allen
This was not something that I normally would have read. A little too heavy on the romance and not enough action normally would have put me off this book. However, the author is a masterful storyteller - weaving a tale of richly detailed characters set in a dystopian wasteland.

I do not care that the protagonist is a lesbian - her sexuality (to me) does not detract from her story, it is just part of her character.

I see why many hate the ending of this book - I saw it coming as the author left eno
dathomira
Feb 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: paused
did a search in the kindle and 'kiss' comes up two times, both times as METAPHORS FOR SOMETHING ELSE. maybe it is a slow build for book 2 but this is not what i signed up for and im mad about it. on hold cause it is really good. i just wanted my wlw to kiss (at LEAST).
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
I first heard of Dissension while sitting at home on the couch, next to my mother who was reading a magazine put out by the Houston medical center. She made a noise, and when I asked her what it was, she passed me the magazine, open to an article about a local doctor who wrote a science fiction novel starring a queer, female clone solider. My mother said, “It’s so you.” Turns out, she was right. Dissension fits squarely into what I want in my fiction.

Echo Hunter 367 is solider created to serve a
Joan
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel got off to a bit of a slow and slightly confusing start but got me hooked before too long. It is dystopian and takes place four hundred years after a tragic event. The Church has been functioning as the ruling presence in the city with a Saint providing the energy for survival. There is something going very wrong and there may be only one person who can save the Church from itself – Echo Hunter 367.

I love sci-fi and really got into this novel about a third of the way in. I would have
Jan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jan by: Carol's Review
Our heroine is bred to unthinkingly and unhesitatingly serve the Saint and the Church. She is a well trained hunter, assassin, bodyguard, explorer, and survivor. I thought I would be rolling my eyes all the way through this book. I didn't. I got sucked in to Echo's world - the reasoning, the relationships, the struggle to rebuild. As I have often said - I don't want to read about sex. Yet the relationship between Echo and Lia is absolutely central to the book. Thank you, Ms. Berg, for handling t ...more
Kate
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2017
A good set up for a series. I hope the worldbuilding is fleshed out going forward because I need some answers. How does a girl's genetics power a whole city? How does Echo understand what technologies are but doesn't even know the word for book? How has the Church kept a death grip on the population for 400 years, not to mention keeping its tech running?
Helen
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't take a leap of faith to contemplate the position of power that the church would keep following some dystopian disaster. What doesn't occur to us is the format the church would have. And I can't possibly run this book by telling you :D

Fascinating world building, interesting characters all make this an exciting read.
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. It has a really great heroine and much better sense of the post apocalyptic world than I was expecting, and I liked the ending. I'm looking forward to Echo Hunter's future stories
Lauren
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Didn't know what to expect but was unable to put it down. I was so wrapped up in the characters and it really was such a eel developed story. Can't wait to read the second of the series.
Kandice Miles
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a new kind of book for me. I read the synopsis and it looked interesting. I am blown away by the details in this book! The work in which the main character, Echo, lives in is crazy! I can totally see ya as humans reverting to this kind of set up if the world ever has an apocalypse but dang is this frightening! The character development and story writing through this book is excellent.
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

Wow! This series is amazing! I will be reviewing Regeneration - book 2 tomorrow. So be sure to check it out.
First off - this is real Post Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Futuristic so if you do not like that kind of thing - you will probably not like this at all. But - if you like that kind of thing, like I do - you will love this series! This is the real deal here. Stacey is not messing around.

At first I found it hard to like Echo and the others or even get a feel for their personalities becaus
Tanager Leigh
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian, thriller, scifi
400 years after the apocalypse, the City, which contains the sum of all remaining people, is still barely surviving. Order has been maintained by the Church and its warrior class, Hunters, cloned from the enhanced DNA of a single woman. Electrical power has been maintained by the Saint, a comatose woman who seems to be no more than a battery. Echo Hunter 367, is one of the church’s cold, calculating enforcers, but she has an apparent flaw - empathy.

The leader of the church describes a secret mis
Megan P ☆
3.75/5

This book was imperfect but still really enjoyable. I could tell by the overall story telling that this was the author's first novel, but her strong handling of language and melodic way with words simultaneously made it clear Berg is not new to writing in general.

There were sometimes small jumps and implications that left me questioning what exactly had just happened. So I would hope for more clarity in her future books, though this seemed to improve even over the course of this novel. Th
K. Lincoln
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, actually

Future Dystopian novel with a more adult sensibility. This time it's a future post-apocalyptic world where a ruined city in the midst of a canid predator-ridden desert keeps out all living beings but humans with a forcefield. But this forcefield, and the trickling remnants of electricity, are all held together by a Saint-- a girl whose mind is used as a kind of governing computer-- surrounded by a church that keeps its nuns pregnant with clones that act as scout-soldiers.

The m
moxieBK
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
Dissension (Echo Hunter 367, #1) — Stacey Berg (25 chapters)

I was really looking forward to this book. It’s been awhile since I’ve read a decent lesbian dystopian story. This one wasn’t it. The lesbian angle was very, very subtle. (I can't even classify it as a lesbian read, to be honest.) But that’s beside the point. I could deal with that if the story was good. I knew that this was a first part of two, but I’m not sure I will continue the second part.

See, the problem was that it took so long

• The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • Salt Slow
  • Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)
  • Morningwood
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
  • Mother of Learning
  • Ra
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Escaping Exodus
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • Building Character
  • Solaria
  • In Development
  • Tsumiko and the Enslaved Fox (Amaranthine Saga, #1)
  • The Outside
  • The Beast of Callaire (The Legend Mirror, #1)
Stacey Berg is a medical researcher who writes speculative fiction. Her work as a physician-scientist provides the inspiration for many of her stories. She lives with her wife in Houston and is a member of the Writers’ League of Texas. When she’s not writing, she practices kung fu and runs half marathons.

Echo Hunter 367 (2 books)
  • Regeneration (Echo Hunter 367, #2)