Start by marking “We Were Never Here” as Want to Read:
We Were Never Here

We Were Never Here

In this exquisitely written, emotionally charged young adult debut, Jennifer Gilmore explores the bond that is formed between a hospitalized girl and the secretly troubled boy she falls in love with.

Did you know your entire life can change in an instant?

Published June 14th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about We Were Never Here, please sign up.
Shey This is definitely an opinion question. If you like YA, romance, and contemporary reads, then you'll probably like it.

Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
When I first saw this book on Goodreads, I really thought that it would be one of those books where my opinions would differ with everyone else's. So despite seeing the not-so-high ratings in Goodreads, I still requested this. However, I have to say that the others were right about this book from the start.

The premise of this book just seemed so interesting to me when I first read the synopsis. According to the synopsis, it's about a romance between a hospitalized girl and a troubled boy, which
Erin
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did you know your entire life can change in an instant?

For sixteen-year-old Lizzie Stoller that moment is when she collapses, out of the blue. The next thing she knows she’s in a hospital with an illness she’s never heard of.

But that isn’t the only life-changing moment for Lizzie. The other is when Connor and his dog, Verlaine, walk into her hospital room. Lizzie has never connected with anyone the way she does with the handsome, teenage volunteer. However, the more time she spends with him, a
S
DNF at 16%

She’s smiling. Her hair doesn’t smile with her, and she scratches under it.
Thelma has a wig.

description

She’s going to tell me I’m dying, I think. I will never see my friends again. I will never cuddle with Mabel and fall asleep to her snoring. I will never go to Spain or any Spanish-speaking country, not Mexico or Venezuela or Costa Rica or Puerto Rico, which I know is not a country.

WAIT, WHATTTTT???

WHATTTTTT????

Good luck telling THAT to the Puerto Ricans, you ignorant twat.

I know I'm be

“Am I going to die?”

This was an okay story, but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

Lizzie was put in a difficult position in this book, being stuck in hospital and having no idea what was wrong with her was really hard, and I totally got why she worried that she was going to die.

The storyline in this wasn’t quite what I expected as it was more about Connor and Lizzie b
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
I was able to read an ARC copy of this book from Around The WOrld ARC Tours and I have to say thank you thank you so much for introducing this book for tour. I love a good story that has it's regular ups and downs but this story took it to a new level that had me hooked right from the start. It took me a few days to read it because I had been sick but every second I could read I was reading it.

We get to meet Lizzie Stoller who is at summer camp when she gets sick. She is not sure what is wrong w
Stephanie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Have you ever read a book where all you really want is for the heroine to run as far away from the love interest as she can possibly get?

This is that book.

Morrisa
Jun 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
So I gave this book about 100 pages before I decided to put it down. The main character was pretty annoying. I didn't like how she claimed to suddenly be in love with the guy who came to her room maybe three times? The characters were flat, the plot line was flat and I felt no connection to the story whatsoever.

The summary of the book seemed interesting and that's why I wanted to read it, but the book isn't what you expect. It's also definitely middle grade reading level, way way under what I'm
Joanna
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Gilmore's writing is so sharp, clear and empathetic. Don't read the summary, just read the book! I couldn't put it down, wept several times, and was truly captivated by her suspenseful storytelling and incredible wit. There's nothing predictable about these characters or their challenges. Suffering collides with excellent humor and genuine romance. We Were Never Here creates an immersive world that I still think about often. What a spectacular book.
Courtney
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm recommending this book to everyone!
Books123
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it so much ugh
i love almost every book lmaoooo
Jasmine D
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
touching
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: I really did like this one! But I just never really connected much to Lizzie or Connor.

We are introduced to Lizzie. She’s just a normal girl with a normal family. She lives with her mom and dad and older sister. She’s pretty ordinary. One day at camp she starts to feel sick. It only gets worse and she’s admitted to the hospital. She gets put in the Colon Cancer ward basically. This scared me a little bit as I’m dealing with my own problems right now with having anemia and being test
Christine Alibutud
Where is the majestic character development when you need one?

Like seriously?
description

I'm feeling soooooo frustrated right now. I really could've loved this book, but that wishful thinking was over before it even started. Everything felt so tedious right from the very beginning. Lizzie's inner monologues drilled a gaping hole in my head.
description

I felt no connection. At all. Not with the story, and definitely not with the characters. I was wrong to think that this book will hit all the right spots, when in reali
Kate (The Bookaholic Blurbs)
Full review over at The Bookaholic Blurbs!

We Were Never Here is the perfect break from all the soul-wrecking and mind-blowing genres we are surrounded by lately. It warms your cheeks and leaves pinches to the heart. What a truly really enjoyable read.

Thank you so much HarperCollins International for the review copy!
Hmmm... I have mixed feelings about this one. I had a had time mustering any sympathy for the love interest and the vagueness around the main character's medical condition led me to Wikipedia more than seemed reasonable, which is kind of annoying when you're reading. (I have no idea if that makes sense.)
Caroline Minic
Apr 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even if the characters weren't bad I just couldn't find chemistry with them.
The idea may have been interesting, I didn't enjoy the outcome.
Marie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Claire
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 26%.

This book makes me feel so many things, most of them angry. I was so excited when the main character turned out to have ulcerative colitis because Crohn's (which I have) and Colitis are such underrepresented illnesses in the media because, lets face it, there's no romantic suffering surrounding your intestines.

BUT.

Let me just name a few of the things that made me quit this book:
1. The GOD AWFUL bedside manner at the damn hospital. There is NO WAY that a doctor just marches in and say
Nicole
This is a novel about a girl named Lizzie who gets very sick and meets a boy named Connor in the hospital where he volunteers with his dog. They end up falling for each other and becoming close, but they have a lot of issues and make a lot of bad decisions which affect their relationship.
I think the plot had a very sweet premise but it just didn't deliver. The novel could have used some editing, and I wish we got a little more from the secondary characters. I really liked Conner and all of his c
Lily
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m confused. What is the point of this book exactly?
Dark Faerie Tales
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-by-zed
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A colon disorder, teenage romance and many lessons.

Opening Sentence: It’s a single moment: It’s on the archery field on the third-to-last day of my first year as a CIT-counselor in training.

The Review:

The story begins with a normal, healthy Lizzie whose life turns upside down in an instant. In the blink of an eye she’s in the hospital being poked and prodded to find out what unknown illness she’s suffering from. At first I thought, ‘here’s a
Oscar M
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book report for my teacher, Mrs.Orona, who teaches English IV. The book I decided to read, We Were Never Here, was written by Jennifer Gilmore. This novel has three hundred pages and was published by HarperTeen. The reason why I decided to read this book was because I wanted to try reading romance for the first time and this novel made a good first impression.
Elizabeth “Lizzie” Stoller begins her story in summer camp, moments before she suffers an accident that will change her life d
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
3.5 stars (liked it a lot)

Source: earc from Harperteen via Edelweiss
Disclaimer: I received this book as an ARC (advanced review copy). I am not paid for this review, and my opinions in this review are mine, and are not effected by the book being free.

I want to read this one because I'm always drawn towards books with about teens with illnesses so when I saw this one available to request it was automatic for me.

I like the main character will meet her while she's at Camp so we get to know more
Jessi
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Caitlin
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Received a copy from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

WE WERE NEVER HERE by Jennifer Gilmore is a captivating story about a teenage girl dealing with a serious health affliction and the boy she falls in love with during her sickness/recovery.

This book was so not what I was expecting at all and I supposed that’s why I liked it so much. If you’re looking for a fluffy romance, this is not it. This is much more realistic and heart-wrenching.

Gilmore beautifully captures
Irene
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a lot of problems with this story:
a) The girl is fucking immature in the beginning. Partly, I get it (how a illness can make you change your life and re-think all your past), but she's just so annoying.
b) They know each other for like, four weeks and they already feel that they're soul mates. Why are writers so obsessed with that kind of romance?
c) The “Broken girl meets broken boy” formula is getting old. And the author doesn't know how to handle it well.
d) The illness and the stay in t
Defne (that-bookworm)
The really ironic thing is that The Mess I Made by Parachute was playing on my phone while I was reading the last couple of pages and I'm pretty sure I read the word "mess" at least ten times. Ha.

But that's what this book was. A mess.

It was all over the place; I didn't get the point of this book, I mean what happened in the beginning and what happened at the end and what changed from the beginning to the ending?

The themes were all jumbled: it was girl power at some point and then grief and them
Summer
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up the book I thought about The Fault in Our Stars, but let me say right now the only thing these two books have in common is a shared hospital experience. We Were Never Here begins with Lizzie, a teenage girl with a "normal" life, is suddenly rushed to the hospital. She learns she has a condition that requires her to stay in the hospital for at least a week. We then meet Connor and Verlaine -- the boy visiting hospital patients and his service dog. Connor visits Lizzie almos ...more
Read InAGarden
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lizzie is stricken with a mysterious illness while at a summer camp. After a period of time in the hospital, she is diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. While in the hospital she is visited by Conner and his therapy dog. As her condition worsens she has surgery to remove her colon which leads to her eventually leaving the hospital. Near the end of her time in the hospital, Lizzie and Connor grow closer but once home, Lizzie learns that Conner has hidden parts of his life from her. Based on the blu ...more
  • Incriminated (Emancipated, #2)
  • The Boyfriend Backtrack
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • The Meaning of Birds
  • Frannie and Tru
  • Le libérateur (Les outrepasseurs #3)
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)
  • Catching Teller Crow
  • All That I Can Fix
  • Change Places with Me
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • The Broken Haven

Jennifer Gilmore's second novel for teens, If Only, will be published by Harper Teen in July 2018. She is also the author the YA novel, We Were Never Here, and the adult novels, The Mothers, which is currently being adapted for film, Something Red and Golden Country, a New York Times Notable Book, a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, the National Jewish Book Award.

Her work has appeare
“Sometimes you stop seeing what the person is to the world. You only see what the person is to you.” 1 likes
“You think the worst is behind you, but it's never behind you. In fact, saying something is the worst does not leave room for all the bad stuff that can follow it. You say the pain is nine, but you mean ten. You leave room.” 1 likes