Start by marking “Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)

Heart's Blood

(Pit Dragon Chronicles #2)

Jakkin risks everything -- freedom, dragon Heart's Blood, even his life -- to rescue beloved Akki who vanished months ago in rebel cell on former prison planet Austar IV. He must become rebel spy Three for mysterious Senator Golden and carry an explosive satchel to the dragon pits. In this game he will lose no matter how well he plays.
Paperback, inc preview A Sending of Dragons, 354 pages
Published 1996 by Magic Carpet Harcourt (first published March 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Heart's Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart's Blood

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,236 books — 2,314 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniThrone of Jade by Naomi Novik
Dragons/Serpents
402 books — 272 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Bah!! I'm not sure what I'm going to rate this. I liked it, I didn't get it, great prose, the ending was shit, the author dropped a bomb that makes me want to pick up the next one. It's all over the place. Confusing RTC
Jacob
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay, I remember this plot even less than the first one! That's why I go back and reread childhood favorites, I guess ;) It's still quite good. The main character, Jakkin, grows up some, and much of the advice he gets on how to operate in the adult world resonates with me, so I feel I must have absorbed and adopted it myself.

One of Yolen's strengths is that she illustrates the scenes with enough detail of the right kind that you feel like you really are there experiencing it. Her characters are
Kaila
I didn't find this one nearly as charming as the first. Jakkin is involved in politics in this installment, and boy do we know it, as he complains about it constantly. Not very much fun to read. I thought the first 1/3 fine and the last 2/3s dragged.

The author made choices at the end about who lives and who dies and I must say, I am surprised. It can be so hard to kill off characters.
K
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Let me be first be petty & complain about the cover art. ...Actually, it's indicative of the level of skill inside the book.

First, that woman does NOT want to be there. If the male model looked this smug & ugly, I wouldn't want to be pressed against him, either. She's here, she's going to get paid, then she's leaving. She doesn't have to be *happy.*
Second, this art work screams "I have no idea how to draw hands or feet!!" ...or lower torsos. There is definitely something wrong with her hips & hi
James Bertolino
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
Michele
Jun 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I would have given this 2 1/2 stars. Heart's Blood continues the story of Dragon's Blood. Here the story becomes involved in the politics of the planet, and Jakkin's relationship with his dragon and Akki develops. Although still imaginative, I found the story a bit clumsy and the dialogue often choppy, or out of character. I found myself thinking, 'would he really have said all that or that way?'Also, I did not like many of the plot choices. I did not like the ending which was too abrupt and rat ...more
Linda
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I like this series (Dragons? Yay!). These dragons aren't as telepathic as those in Anne McCaffrey's Pern series; their thoughts are more pictures and feelings than speech, but they do communicate, after a fashion, with their Trainers. Mix in a little inter-Galactic politics and rebellion, and you have fuel for some great storylines.

There were some errors in my Kindle text, listed here: p. 6, Jakkin won dered / wondered ; p. 9, Oh for God's sake / Oh, for ; p. 15, She houghed once and (Every dict
Christine
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Claudine
This should have been about political intrigue and rebellion and spying, but instead is about dumb teenagers who don't understand what they're doing and who don't care about the larger picture doing impulsive and stupid things without considering the consequences.

On one hand, they're teenagers, so at least their characterization is realistic and understandable.

But on the other hand... Jakkin's childishness seems petty, his ignorance less a product of his upbringing and more a lack of concern abo
Corbin
Nov 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Andrew
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second of four books in Yolen's Pit Dragon Trilogy. It continues where the previous book left off. Last time, Jakkin had pretty narrow concerns; survive, get a dragon, get out of bond. Now he's starting to learn that the wider world is relevant to his life. I still can't tell if Yolen's depiction of prostitution is progressive or regressive, partly because sex is only ever brought up as innuendo. On the one hand, there's no stigma associated with working at a "baggery" (where attract ...more
Misti
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Jakkin's dragon, Heart's Blood, is now a champion of several small fights in the pits, but is taking time off for breeding. Unexpectedly, Jakkin gets word that his friend Akki is in trouble and needs his help. Jakkin longs to set off immediately for the city, where Akki has gotten involved in rebel activity -- but there are the hatchlings to consider...

This continues the story started in Dragon's Blood, and expands into the politics of Jakkin's home planet. It's a pretty quick read, but of cours
Keri Sparks
I don't know how to rate or review this book. There was nothing really bad about it save for the ending seemed pretty abrupt and.....idk, just sudden I guess. Honestly, I don't know how I feel about Heart's Blood. It was written well, but in a sense, I feel as if I have no idea what the purpose of the story was. I don't know. As I said, I finished this book and can't figure out how I feel about it. My true rating on it is more of a 3.5 stars.

I likely won't read any of the others in this series.
Krystl Louwagie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this as a middle-schooler I think so it was weird connecting what I remembered from then (not much) to what I experienced this time around. I think it's probably perfect for the age it was written for, since I was an avid reader and loved them. But as an adult, momentous things seemed to happen too easily and too fast, so that the didn't have the weight attached to them that I felt like they *should*. The ending was very weird. And, intriguing. I actually do want to read the next book, be ...more
Volkert
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sequel to Dragon's Blood, which I recently had to scan for offensive material at the request of a parent. Some situations are not appropriate for elementary--the Baggeries, their name of houses of ill repute are seen as an acceptable place of occupation for young girls. This is actually an incidental part in son otherwise entertaining fantasy world involving Jakkin, a young dragon trainer who seeks his lost love in the city of Rokk, where she is working underground with the rebel forces.
S.M.
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This second book was better than the first, but good grief, the ending was weird. Interesting and sort of artsy, but weird.

Heart's Blood addressed some of the bad stuff inherent to the fictional world--the class system, indentured servitude, etc., but also didn't address the casual acceptance of plenty of other bad stuff. (Eugenics, etc.) And dear effing god, the sexism burned all the way through. It was absolutely ridiculous.
Hannah Roberts
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Similarly to McAffrey, Yolen pushes the question of freedom, commitment, and sacrifice within a self-contained world that is as hampered by it's natural brutality, (Dark After, never after, is an oft repreated phrase talking about the dangers of being caught outside in the freezing cold) and the violent history of a prisoner colony trying to grow towards civilization. there's a lot to work with here and Yolen does a great job. Oh yeah. And there are dragons!
shrug city
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Very like... classic mythic fantasy. The main male character is noble and strong, the main female character impetuous and bold, etc. Characterization in general is broad and larger than life, and the plot laid out in extremes. I finished it wanting to read the third one, but after a few days now I don't really feel the need.

Also: dragon content far less than previous novel, heterosexual content far more. Disappointing.
Kirsten Simkiss
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, reviewed
I’m calling it quits on this series for me. I made it 75 pages into this book and can’t for the life of me remember why I liked these as a kid. The main character is not an appealing protagonist, the dragons are decent but are forced to fight each other for sport like dog fights but legal, and the romance still seems pretty forced and strange. I don’t think this book series is for me and I can’t say I would recommend it to others.
Alys
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It's always weird re-reading books that were important to you when you were much younger, because it seldom has the same resonance again years later, even if you still enjoy it. This is still a good book, and I'm glad it's still in print, but it's certainly not a powerful one for the person I am now, rather than the person I was when I read it thirty-ish years ago.
Ceridwyn
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya
I liked the first book better. I do tend to enjoy origin stories best, but this sequel got muddled with spy plots and things that detracted from character and motive. I had a few of those moments when I said to myself, "I can't believe that character would act like that." I will probably still read book number three, however, because I like the world and the first book so much.
Kate H
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Jane Yolen's books; I think she really knows how to craft a story and characters. The Pit Dragon Chronicles is one of my favorite series of hers and it definitely holds up over time. I do think the first couple books are the strongest and then it does tail off a bit after that. There are many dragon stories but this does not feel repetitive or similar to others.
Raven2k360
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this series (then only 3 books) when I was a kid back in middle school -- I absolutely loved every page. I plan on going back through this series eventually, especially since there's a new book (as of 2009); we'll see if I enjoy it as much as an adult.
Shae
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
These books went from being interesting but poorly written books about dragons to being uninteresting poorly books written about politics. So I quit and wikipedia'd the rest of the series. No thanks.
Steve Isom
First book was very interesting. Book 2 was not as good and seemed to move away from what was fun about the first book. Got about 3/4 of the way through book 3 when I just gave up. It just wasn't fun or interesting anymore.
Aaron Anderson
Ultimately I didn't really end up loving the main character in book 2 and 3. Just a 3star worth reading only once.

(view spoiler)
Bri Valentine
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first!

I enjoyed reading this novel more than the first novel. I am excited to see how the two main young people continue their lives on this dragon planet.
~*Shayna*~
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this to my 5 year old...she got bored after 5 chapters, but I continued to read it. I thought it was a good book! I was sad about the ending, but it was sweet at the same time.
Tessa in North Florida
I really liked the end of this one. Looking forward to the next one.
Brooke
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was going to give it 3 stars, and then it made me cry--automatically bumped up.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • Deep Wizardry
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • The Riddle
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • Across the Great Barrier (Frontier Magic, #2)
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards #3)
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • The Bards of Bone Plain
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more

Pit Dragon Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dragon's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragon's Heart (The Pit Dragon Chronicles, #4)

News & Interviews