Start by marking “Within High Fences Level 2” as Want to Read:
Within High Fences Level 2

Within High Fences Level 2

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Award-winning original fiction for learners of English. At seven levels, from Starter to Advanced, this impressive selection of carefully graded readers offers exciting reading for every student's capabilities. Nancy is a security guard at a detention centre for asylum seekers and refugees who have come to Britain to escape persecution in their own countries. Nancy thinks ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about Within High Fences Level 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within High Fences Level 2

Kosuke Katayama
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. Cambridge, Stage 2

2. Dec 6→80 minutes

3. fence, guard, wife, answer, work, gate, passport

4a. One day, Nancy went to work by car and she was a guard. After that, she finished working, she drove to a supermarket. She spent same as usual days, there was not something different. Then, she met George. They talked and began to get each other, she fell in love to George. But, she had husband, Tom. Tom hated George because he thought that George planned to steal her money and something important.

4b. I

change
stolen
kiss

4a.
It was same as every other night. But that night, Nancy who is a main character in this book started to change. she lived with her boy friends, Tom is a rich. Nancy worked in a centre for asylum seekers. However, Tom opposed her job. One day, she met a man, George is a asylum seeker. They fell in love. She left Tom's home. since then, there is a strenge things
Haruhi Hyodo
4,George's Past
5,Can't stop their feelings
6,The accident
7,Live together
4.a)"I'm talking about asylum seekers that come here to get a good life," said Tom. "This is our country. Not theirs."
b)I couldn't believe his thinking. How stupid man he was! His thinking was like a child!
5.Sometimes, we need disagreement by someone, but Tom (a exhusband of Nancy) was wrong. W
Akari Shimokawa
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
1. Cambridge, level 2
2. 09/11/2016; 180 minutes
3. young woman; night work; within high fences; dangerous; against the rules; afraid; kindness
4. Nancy is young woman who works at center for asylum seekers. She gave up her dream to be a writer because of her boyfriend Tom. Tom discouraged her dream. They have started to live together, but she is dissatisfied with her empty life with Tom and plenty of money.
5. Firstly, I didn't know the word " asylum seekers " and I was happy to get knowledge ab
Haruka Handa
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
- Time: 11/14 = 90 minutes
- 7-word summery: live - boyfriend - rich - asylum - seeker - love
- Discussion questions:
1. If you live with a man who earn much money, but you love another man, which man will you choose?
Of course I will choose the man I really love! It is happier to stay with the man even though we don't have much money.
2. Have you ever been stolen anything?
Yes, I have. When I was a high school student, three thousands yen was stolen from my wallet
Haruka Furuta
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
1, CAMBRIDGE Level 2
2, 7/1 15 min 7/3 30min 7/5 15 min
7/7 20 min
3, asylum seekers, love, stolen, police, believe, farewell,
4, a)I gave you everything you wanted. but you left me for an asylum seeker with no money. I wanted to show you it was a mistake.
b) Nancy's ex-boyfriend said that. I think what he done to Nancy was terrible. I think he is miserable person.
5, This plot twist was interesting so, I enjoyed reading this book. however I ca't understand why George went away from Nancy, becaus
Shizuka
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it

-5/23=60min. 5/24=60min

-asylum, seeker, rich, poor, love, dream, believe

-Q. Can you believe people until the truth come out?
A. I'm not sure. In this story, they love each other very much, but they spent time together for only 2 months. She went to George's to know the truth. I thought she was very brave.

-At first i thought Nancy is irresolute woman because she quite writing because of her boyfriend. However after she met George she became independent and kne
Nanae Sugimoto
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
1: Canbridge level 2
2: 5/26= 20 5/27=65minis
3: Nancy, Tom, asylum seekers, George, smile, Harriet, gold watch
4: 'You can do anything, if you really want to' said George. I was moved this phrase and this phrase made me positive! I have one thing that I want to achieve! I have to make efforts, and I shouldn't think 'I can't do it'.
This book inspired me.
5: This book was a love story but I didn't like this story because ending was bad. I hoped Nancy and George got married but they didn't. However
Saya Nakata
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
1.level2 Cambridge

2.6/12=80minutes

3.work, love, asylum seeker, writer, money, terrible, happy

4.a)"You can do anything, if you really want to,"

b)I am encouraged by this passage. When I intend to give up something, I would like to be said this passage!!

5. This is love story. I could read easily because this is interesting. I think Tom is selfish because he tried to shift the blame to Nancy's boyfriend named Tom to marry Nancy. Tom is very kind and clever man. In the end, Nancy and Tom could be tog
Wakana Honami
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
-11/22=60min. 11/26=60min.
-asylum, seeker, rich, man, lover, dream, steal
-Q. Which will you choose lover or your dream?
I want to choose both of them, but this book, Tom is against Nancy's dream. I think he is selfish because she cannot try to be a writer. I want my lover to stay with me when I try my dream. Am I selfish?
-Q. What do you think about the discrimination in Goege's country?
He was a cameraman and he took the political fact. Finally he was chased by
Masato Kato
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
1:Cambridge English Readers Level2

2:4/10=55minutes

3:Nancy, George, Tom,an asylum seeker, escape, passport, love

4:George said to Nancy "You can do anything, if you really want to be."
George was in in difficult stiation but he never gave up and said it to Nancy. After this, Nancy became like him. I think this passage make Nancy change.

5:Before readin this book, I thought it take long time to read it. But this story is really fun for me. So I can read in short time.
Keiko Kawashima
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
1. Cambridge English Readers, Level 2

2. 4/11=60 minutes for Within High Fences; 4/13=40 minutes for Logan's Choice

3. Nancy, George, Tom, asylum seeker, gold watch, passport, love

4. a. "You can do anything, if you really want to,"
b. Tom said "Writers were intelligent. You're not intelligent," to Nancy, so she didn't come true her dream. however, George encourage her to be writer, so I like his words.

5. It's a love story, but I think I have to consider my future on my own feet.
Mitsugu Oka
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
- CAMBRIDGE, level 2.
- Time: 11/16 = 20 minutes: 11/19 = 20 minutes: 11/21 = 60 minutes
- 7-word summary: guard - asylum seeker - biscuits - phone - love - steal - gold watch.
- Discussion questions:
1. If your friend cheat on you, what do you think?
I think I won't believe people.
2. Have you ever been broken into by a thief?
No, I haven't. I don't want to been done.

I like this book. It is interesting story and my mind was captured by it.
Shunta Kawakata
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
1)Penny Hancock ,Cambridge,Level 2

2)5/22=90minutes

3)1.love 2.asylum seeker 3.afraid 4.need 5.believe 6.work 7.friend

4)What is true love?
-Each of couple can feel easy to stay beside each other. I thinks it's true love.

5)I found out myself when I finished reading this book. I may like forbidden love story. I couldn't stop reading it. I thought that if I have a girlfriend, I should think about her feelings.
ゆきてぃ
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cambridge level2
10/29=60min.
Seven words summary / asylum, seeker, rich, poor, love, steal, believe
Q If your boyfriend is poor, what do you think?
A I don’t mind that if my boyfriend is poor. All adults including my parents say “ money is most important”. I also think money is very important, but not all for me. So if my boyfriend is poor, I don’t mind that but I don’t have a boyfriend~~~!lol

This story was love story and I like this story. It was easy to understand and interesting!
Soh Takeuchi
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
150min total
7words summary
asylum, guard, rule, kind , doub, believe, love

Discusion Question
Q did you keep your boyfriend or girlfried secret for your friends or family
A yes I did. I was too shy to talk about my girlfried in public when Iwas JHS student.

Q Do you believe in relationship between men and women.
A I belive, I used to consult with my friend. she is great listner and make my mind be possitive.

This is one of the best love stories I read.
the end surprised me very mush.
Haruka Sakai
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
1: Cambridge, Level 2.

2:5/8=57minutes, 5/9=15minutes

3:Nancy, night work, asylum seekers, George, empty room, love, writer

4:a)Nancy said,"My life was not a better life for me before, because George was not in it."
b)I understood theirs love is so strong when I read this passage.

5:George changed Nancy so much, I think . I could learn that we have the power to change other person.
Monica Keller
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a nice love story. Nancy wanted to be a writer,but now she is a guard. She has a boy friend but one day she meets a nice man at her work. They can't be together because of the rules. It was surprising that finally they got together.
Potx
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
an ocean of passions
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
my first book read in English, I'm so proud!! :)
Francisco Estrella
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2016
Ruaa
Sep 18, 2017
Penny grew up in South East London and then did an English degree in Newcastle Upon Tyne. For several years she taught English as a foreign language in Italy, Greece and Morocco. She then took a PGCE, got a job as a Primary school teacher in an inner city London school, and moved into her partner Andy’s short-life house in East London, which is now part of the hardcore under the M11 that links the ...more
More about Penny Hancock...