Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)

Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways #5)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  4,466 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
The team's lineup changes forever in the perfect jumping-on point for the series that Wizard said "could be the most original book to focus on teenaged super heroes since Spider-Man debuted all the way back in 1962!" When a dangerous alien invades Los Angeles, the Runaways' own Karolina Dean may be the only hero in the Marvel Universe who can stop him... but at what cost? ...more
Published March 29th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Vol. 5

Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

I just love this series. It's definitely one of my favorite comics/graphic novels. This one was two stories. The first saw one of my favorite characters leave the planet! I really hope they return. It won't be the same w/o him/her.

The second part of this volume has the team helping Cloak figure out who attacked his partner in New York City. We get to see Captain America, Iron Man, Spider Man, even Wolverine!

I just really like this series. The "us against the adults" vibe, the humor, the charact
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok, this book could have the same author but are two separate stories.

The first one didn't like me either dislike me, have some things that i already suspected but just that. Even the plot was so different from the other issues (before and after). And the drawings was n't my favorite, not a big fan of the Archie and Friends (Archie and Friends #82) look. Was really sad the goodbye and i hope maybe someday we'll see him/her again,

The second was a little better, we return to the artist from the be
Cisz Strasters
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
freakin' AWESOME!!!!
Shera (Book Whispers)
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006, comic-marvel
This one went deep . . . . poor Dagger. However, I felt like it split in half and kind of left me in the lurch. The story with Karoline should have, at the very least, been brought up or visited as the next story came in. Or it could be that I wanted more of the intersteller stuff that was hinted at the start but sadly denied to me. And I'm a litte nervous it will never truly be expanded on.

And with some of the big character depth reveals I'm pretty sure I know who's going to day next in the Run
Taha
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tek puanı sadece serinin ortasında çizim tarzı değiştirildiği için kırdım. Yoksa Vaughan yine harika bir cilt ortaya çıkarmış: Bol ters köşeli, bol eğlenceli ve bol karanlık...
Bu arada New Avengers'lı bölümler de harikaydı. Özellikle Ironman ve Wolverine'in diyalogları 10 numaraydı:)
Jana
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.5*

It's so cool to see other big Marvel characters in this series. I'm LOVING it.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Continuing where vol 4 left off, some big changes are in store for our runaways. They have welcomed a new member, Victor, from last volume, and have been approached by Cloak to clear his name. I will admit, the setup is a bit hokey - the kids are asked to find out who who posed as Cloak who attacked Dagger. I mean, really, your best solution is to ask a bunch of kids?

For the first two issues, the artwork was changed from the previous 4 volumes to what I guess is an anime/manga styl
Matt Richter
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Another brilliantly written collection from Brian K. Vaughan. I wasn't expecting them to go "there". But they did! oh yeah!! And after that they met the New Avengers. I'm imagining that these team-up stories are quite difficult to pull off effectively, cos like a new writer is now writing for a number of hugely popular characters which he may not have worked on before... and it makes for a different feel to a normal 'Runaways' story arc. But Vaughan does splendidly on all accounts!
The first arc
Anne
This is really a much better series than I expected. Definitely going to be looking for more of these guys in the future!
Clarisse
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: scribd, 2015-comics
I said I was gonna sleep but I ended up reading this instead. Oops.

This kind of reminds me of Kids Next Door. But with superheroes.
Amber
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
still interesting, but I found my interest going downward in this one. Also the randomly different art style was odd.
Yanni
Jul 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-own
This was my favorite so far. With all the guest apperances including my favorite superhero, Spiderman.
Shipofools999
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, at-library

For my reference of what happens in which book. (view spoiler)
Joy
"Yes. I'm Batman."

Favorite part of this issue: Spiderman, hands down.

Overall, I think this is the best issue of Runaways so far. But then again, I may be a bit biased because one of my favorites is in it (reread above comment). I really liked that Cloak and Dagger came back since I felt like their roles got a bit cut off in the first volume. Also, I seriously got a sense in this issue that the main characters had matured a lot since those first few issues. A very pleasant development. The story
Xander
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! Amazing humor and it was very well written. They add more depth to characters like Nico and Karolina and I love the art in issues 7-8. The anime art worked well with the writing. They also had to deal with Dagger's stalker which was creepy but it made for a good, short 4 issue storyline with a really funny interaction between Wolverine and Molly. Also appearances from all your favorite Avengers (Luke Cage, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Wolverine, and Captain America. Just amazing
Simone
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was real good. The second story was stronger than the first, but both were fun. I loved seeing all the other super heroes, especially Spidey; he's the best. Nervous about the next volume, because the end of this one made it pretty clear that (view spoiler)
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
more like a 3.5.

Synopsis: When a dangerous alien invades Los Angeles, the Runaways’ own Karolina Dean may be the only hero in the Marvel Universe who can stop him… but at what cost? PLUS: The Runaways embark on a coast-to-coast adventure, guest-starring Cloak and Dagger, and the New Avengers! When Cloak is accused of a crime he didn’t commit by the heroes of New York City, the vigilante is forced to turn to the teenage Runaways for help. This story will take our teens to a place they’ve never b
Fizzgig76
Reprints Runaways (2) #7-12 (October 2005-March 2006). The Runaways learn that they may be losing another member when a Skrull named Xavin arrives with shocking news about why he has come to Earth. The Runaways find themselves on a cross-coast adventure when former ally Cloak comes to the Runaways for help in clearing his name in the beating of Dagger...which leads the Runaways into a head-to-head confrontation with the Avengers.

Written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Adrian Alphona and T
Lil' Violet
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Runaways vol 5 #7-12
Art: Art shift this time the other way around the first two comics look and read and feel like a colored manga the art work there is gorgeous, pretty and you get a feel for the character ages and looks and victor cleans up real nice in manga style. It then changes back to the realistic recess style and it's not only jarring but it throws you for a loop not even a cover page break just boom different art style however that was due to a missing page there was in fact a page bre
Wing Kee
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid and fun.

World: Art is fine with strong facial expressions which really inform the characters. The world building is also solid with a trip to New York being like a holiday. There are a lot of cameos and they are fun.

Story: Solid and fun as a side quest. The cameos made it amusing and the continuation of the team dynamic was good. However the villain was drab and cliché making that part of the book a bore. Solid but nothing of note.

Characters: Still the best part about the book. Great li
Ryan
Mar 31, 2008 added it
As the title suggests, the bulk of this volume features the Runaways going to New York. Before that happens, though, the team encounters Xavin, a super-Skrull who had been betrothed to Karolina (by her parents) in order to prevent a way between Karolina's people and the Skrulls. This story includes a conclusion to Karolina's infatuation with Nico, as she comes out to the team and reveals her love for her fellow teammate. The whole thing was handled rather nicely, I think.[return]The main story, ...more
Jeffrey Jelmeland
I like the change in art style. This feels very Manga, which is something you don't see very often in American comics. Unfortunately the artwork went down a hole in the final chapter of the volume, and the artist on staff for that chapter may need some psychiatric therapy with what I saw of the work that was presented. Honestly, why do some artists insist on adding their own "flair" to established characters and simply destroying any credibility and respect for the characters that prior artists ...more
Kiwi
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Emily
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth volume of collected Runaways graphic novel stories. The basic premise of Runaways: six kids, mostly teenagers, are thrown together once a year because their parents are all friends and have a yearly meeting. But this year, the kids accidentally witness their parents’ “meeting” and see them killing a girl. It turns out that the six sets of parents make up “The Pride,” a group of super-villains who rule Los Angles and most of the west coast. Disgusted by what their parents are, t ...more
Brianna
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
These books are really enjoyable when you want a quick and fun read! I love how these graphic novels are not only full of adventure and action, but also touches on topics like love and sexuality. It really makes for a more interesting read than you would expect from a superhero book like this one.

Something that I don't like as much about these novels is that it follows such a wide array of characters that you can't get any sort of inner monologue from the characters. You know what's happening i
Summer
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to give this volume of Runaways - the writing is a 5 (although the Xavin storyline could have been longer), but the art is really starting to irk me, so the whole thing is maybe a 4.5. I really don't like Takeshi Miyazawa's amerimanga style and I don't think it went well with the story, and although I generally like Adrian Alphona's art, the Distended Jaw effect and his insistence on drawing fat people with round, moonlike heads is distracting as hell.

Still, Runaways is the be
HeavyReader
When this book finally arrived through interlibrary loan, I went right home and read it real fast in one night. I was a little worried at first, because the art in the first section had all of the girls looking super skinny. Gert, who is supposed to be fat (or at least chubby/plump) was normal thin and Nico and Karolina were scarecrow thin. Yikes! But in the seceond section things are back to normal and I was relieved.

In this volume, one of the girls comes out as "liking girls." Of course, the r
Amanda
Willow Redd
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, any issue that starts with Swarm is going to be a cheesy kind of fun, because... Swarm. That's one thing I like about Runaways, they aren't afraid to go silly for the simple fact that the premise is a group of kids trying to fix some of the bad their parents used to do as villains and stop outside baddies from filling the power vacuum they left when they brought down The Pride.

In this collection, Karolina meets her destiny, then the group goes to New York to help and old "friend" who has b
B
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westend, borrowed
Were the creators worried about sales?

To some degree, this book fails to advance the plot. Basically all that we now have going forward is an interstellar rescue of one of the members. The lurking "big bads" are in teh same place now as they were at the end of the last collection.

But it feels "real" (within the bounds of the rules of the universe) of course and is a good follow-up to what already happened.

Also, it's hard to make a storyline that has more A-Team than this. The writers do a fan
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Young Avengers Presents
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • X-Factor, Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 13: Hobgoblin
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways