Start by marking “Anne Boleyn” as Want to Read:
Anne Boleyn

Anne Boleyn

Published February 21st 1974 by Jonathan Cape (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Anne Boleyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Boleyn

Start your review of Anne Boleyn
Juliew.
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tudor, biography
Very well written but be prepared for a bit of historical inaccuracy.This was published almost forty years ago and much has come out since then on Anne Boleyn.It does,however,offer worthy insights into Anne,Henry VIII,Tudor court life and the people surrounding them.I would not recommend this to a first time reader of Anne Boleyn's story but to someone who wants something a little more detailed on her life.
Sarah Bryson
I happened to purchase this book on a whim, noticing it as I was browsing through used books on Amazon. Of course the image of Anne Boleyn on the front cover immediately caught my attention and so I paused to have a closer look. What really captured my attention in regards to this book was that it was published in 1974. I was interested and wanting to broaden my reading I decided to purchase a second hand, ex library copy of this book. (I must add that I love old library books with their faded p ...more
Alienne
This one gets an A for readability; it felt more like a novel than a textbook, very lively and not at all dry. Some of the scholarship is outdated, which I can't really blame Chapman for. Some of the sources are questionable (at least she acknowledges Chapuys's bias), which given the pre-Internet time of publication I can't be too mad about either. What I can blame her for is frequently putting thoughts and motivations in people's heads - as much as I like the novelistic feel of the narrative, i ...more
Julie Morrow
Jul 22, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of tudor history
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent chronicle of the events leading to and surrounding the rise and fall of Anne Boleyn to power. A compelling and sympathetic summary highlighting key sources, and revealing their reliability, Ms. Chapman brilliantly recounts the tragic demise of a queen with much integrity and few friends.
Meaghan
This biographer seems to have a better grasp of Henry, Anne and Catherine of Catherine's characters than any other. The book also gives a good portrait of the character of the times, when justice meant an entirely different thing than it does now. I'd never heard of this book until I chanced to see it on the library shelf. I thought it was excellent; it's a pity it's not better-known.
Brigid
Mary Louise
rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2016
Mary B
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2016
Jun 14, 2013
Megan
added it
Sep 10, 2013
Hester W. Chapman (1899-1976) was one of the well-known authors and a specialist on the Tudors and Stuarts.

News & Interviews