Start by marking “Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes” as Want to Read:

There's a lot to love about the classic square crochet motif. But if it's hip to make squares, imagine the excitement of making circles, stars, triangles, and hexagons. Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs introduces crocheters to more than 150 designs of every size and shape. Full-color photographs capture the intricate details and color work of each motif, and clear step-by- ...more
Spiral-bound, 208 pages
Published July 30th 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs

Start your review of Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
penny shima glanz
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
It took me quite a while to discover there was such a thing as a crochet pattern book. I learned granny squares as I suspect most have -- by watching someone else do it. The closest we got to a pattern was colour blocking graph paper to decide how to lay out the finished blanket. At least that was my experience. Since discovering that motif pattern books exist I've been on a quest to find and review as many as I can.

I find that this book of 144 motifs does not disappoint me. I can't guarantee I
Kendra
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many choices! Picture, diagram, and directions, so it should be easy to create the designs.
Laurie Carlson
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crochet
This is the MOST beautiful crochet motifs/shapes book I have EVER come across! First of all, it is spiral bound, which is GREAT to crochet with the pattern; having the book open on it's own to follow the pattern! The motifs/shapes are GORGEOUS! There are not 'just' squares. There are circles, triangles, hexagons, and more! I have read this book through a few times, and have looked longingly at the beautiful motifs, thinking about crocheting them. In EVERY crochet book, you ALWAYS learn something ...more
Vanessa
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One of my Favourite Crochet Books.
I have used this several times for my crochet projects and I found it very easy to follow and great illustrations throughout.
Highly recommend to have in my Crochet learning books
Nicole
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crochet, non-fiction
I'd love a copy of this book. The written instructions and symbol charts are both clear and easy to read. The book is coil bound, so its lays flat and makes it that much easier to read. The general beginning instructions have information that most crocheters can learn from.

The motifs are interesting and can be adapted to larger projects with a little trial and error. I tried out quite a few of the motifs and flipped through it looking for more. I created two different hats using different circul
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As other reviewers have stated, this is much more of a reference guide than a project guide. But anyone past the beginner crocheter should be able to come up with a project for these interesting shapes. Eckman's patterns are fantastic to follow. I love the fact that she has diagrams with every pattern, as I follow along much better visually than with all of the written garbage (just my preference). There are tons of interesting shapes and I have even started on a series of hexagons for an afghan ...more
patrice
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
This book pretty much took the granny out of granny square. There are more motifs than you could probably get to in a lifetime of casual crafting. The instructions and diagrams are really helpful/well written. The color combinations are bright, bold and modern (something famously lacking in most crochet pattern books). You are inspired to grab your hook knowing it'll look great, rather than creating 3-4 different swatches with fingers crossed that the pattern CAN look up-to-date with different c ...more
Cathy Austin
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A big granny square fan, I was delighted to find this book online, a serviceable pattern book with more than just squares, a variety of motifs most new to me.
Grannies are the easiest thing to crochet for the beginner. The elite hooker yearns to go beyond the simple square and this book fills that niche. There are unusual squares featured that will work up larger or smaller depending on hook size along with yarn size. But what caught my attention is the triangles, circles, hexies and odd shaped
Dorothy K Anderson
Great book. Worth 10 times what I pd for it.

I've been crocheting for over 50 years and I have learned many things from this little book. Even a beginner with just a basic knowledge of crocheting will love this book. Every detail is described perfectly. It has both written and diagrammed instructions. I prefer the diagrams and my granddaughter prefers the written instructions. We both love it. Thank you!
Claire
3.5/5 stars

I didn't read this cover-to-cover, but I read most of the introductory, explanatory sections, and then tried a few patterns. I liked many of the motifs, and will keep this book in mind the next time I want to put an afghan together. However, I didn't follow some of the author's explanations on how to accomplish some of the basic (and special) techniques, so this isn't going to be a go-to reference source for me.
Teresa Parker
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

For once every thing you need to work these motifs! Charts, pictures and written instructions! Having a bag full of crochet thread in different textures and pastels can actually see a project for these!
Arieshaw
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found lots of new patterns. The author is very enthusiastic and encouraging. This book has both written and graphic instructions for each motif. This is an excellent resource for both the novice and experienced crocheter.
Ligaya
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and well organized reference of crochet motifs. The short beginning "workshop" section in the front of the book is a great explanation of reading chart, technique, and tips. The bright and coordinated color palette makes this a delight to flip through.
Myrian Primera
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

It has everything in this book. So much inspiration. Lots of ideas and detail instructions. I would recommend this to all crcheters
louise b janelle
Outstanding

This is an amazing book for beginners to learn from and for seasoned crocheters to enjoy and use for planning new projects. It's a very well written reference.
Jenny Jaconelli
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of you are new it has a lot of beautiful options with easy to read instructions
Atlantis
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Great motif collection, includes diagrams and joining recommendations.
Helen
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice ideas for basics.
Jeanne Lambrianou
Great! Some unusual shapes for crochet! Easy to try!
Marie Segares
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: needlecrafts, crochet
(This review is part of a series of reviews of books in my granny square collection. For these reviews, the # of granny squares refers to the number of patterns for squares that are crocheted in the round, not the total number of patterns in the book.)

Summary: An exploration of crochet motifs in geometric shapes, including squares, circles, hexagons, and triangles, with tips for working in the round, joining, and changing colors. Uses U.S. pattern abbreviations and international stitch symbols.
Libby
Jan 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts, how-to
A new book that I got with a Christmas gift card--so excited to have some quick/small crochet projects to try! Astra, this is all because of you!

I have by no means "finished" with this, but hope to dip in and out over the next few months.

I was waiting to put this in the "read" column until I took pictures (and hopefully posted them on my blog) of the two motifs I made from it--but it was February when I made them, it's April now, and pictures have yet to be taken.

I really liked the book overall-
Susan Barton
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had this book on my Wish List for a while and I finally decided to go ahead and purchase it. I’m glad I did! This book contains 144 patterns for making a variety of crocheted motif shapes, which include:

• Circles
• Hexagons
• Triangles
• Squares
• Unusual Shapes

The book is beautifully illustrated. The full-color photos demonstrate how each motif should look when finished. The patterns are easy to follow, even for the novice crocheter. The glossary of basic crochet stitches is invaluable for anyone
Janet
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beyond-the-Square Crochet Motifs has the ideal text-to-pattern ratio. I like reading a healthy bit of instructional material and Edie Eckman included a comprehensive chapter ("Crochet Motif Workshop") that introduces some important concepts before heading to the patterns/motifs. I love the way the book is organized: a generous chapter each of Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Unusual Shapes. There's also an Appendix, Index (must-have but so often overlooked) and Stitch Key. The biggest ...more
Abbey
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knit-crochet
Filled with simply tons of patterns for crocheted motifs, this is a good-sized spiral bound pattern book that uses beautiful pictures and diagrams, throws in a decent amount of basic info, and arranges all those gorgeous motifs nicely, enabling you to find "similars" should you wish to combine a few in a likely-to-be-gorgeous afghan. Plus she offers very good color interchanges, showing how many of the motifs can change their appearance drastically - and very interestingly, too - simply by chang ...more
Bliss
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to make interesting crocheted items.
April 20, 2009

I absolutely love this book and plan to buy a copy for my library.

Basically, a motif is a shape: a square, triangle, circle, hexagon, etc. A crocheted motif is a shape that's been crocheted.

This book goes beautifully beyond the basic shapes, to a world I'm immersing myself in with abandon.

If you can do the basic crochet stitches, read crochet patterns or charts, you can make any of the motifs in this book.

Even if you don't crochet, if you like looking at lovely handmade items, get
Ybgenny
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Check it out! A 100% useful pattern book! Some books may have one or two patterns that are useful to you. This one is filled with fun and easy to make motifs.

This was my first book I got after I learned how to form stitches. And used it to learn new stitch and practice what I knew. I still turn to it when I'm working on motifs.

The only down side is the spiral notebook like binding that I've always disliked but thats just me.
I give it 5 stars for useability, wide range of shapes and clear patter
Doris
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love this book. It shows different granny square patterns, but more importantly it shows how you can develop your own motifs using some basic math principles. I wish the color examples used were better paired, but you are free to use your imagination. Crochet is very simple, but many crocheters are dependent upon patterns. I appreciate how the author encourages exploration into developing original patterns by equipping readers with the knowledge necessary to begin.
Deborah
This is a lovely book with many many many crochet motifs to inspire you with creative thoughts about afghans and such. I borrowed this several times from the library, and decided it was best to just go ahead and buy it for my kindle to have at hand for future crochet projects, and I am so glad I did because I can read them beautifully from my kindle app on my tablet. Great way to save space, and keep this handy crochet reference handy.
MamaCarrie
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crocheters
Shelves: craftymama
A good one if you enjoy granny squares. It's separated into shape sections: squares, triangles, circles and odd shapes. I had been on a crochet hiatus until this one came in the mail. I've only just begun with the squares, but there are over 100 to sink your hook into. Also some good info about how to join your motifs and use of color.
Hoan
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
Great patterns and wonderful unique shapes! I love how the author categories the different variations and groups them well together.

I love the basic mistakes pages and the easy to learn methods. Also she introduces an interesting method of sliding loop that I need to master! She makes crocheting look like a cinch!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic  Original Patterns
  • Crochet One-Skein Wonders®: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World
  • The Big Book of Fat-Quarter Quilts
  • Big Book of Crochet Stitches, The: Fabulous Fans, Pretty Picots, Clever Clusters and More
  • Jiffy Quick Quilts: Quilts for the Time Challenged (Annie's Quilting)
  • Birnbaum's 2020 Walt Disney World: The Official Vacation Guide
  • Old-Fashioned Doilies to Crochet
  • My Crochet Doll: A Fabulous Crochet Doll Pattern with Over 50 Cute Crochet Doll's Clothes and Accessories
  • Scooby-Doo and the Pirate Treasure (Scooby-Doo)
  • Rand McNally 2020 Road Atlas Large Scale
  • Jesus Calling: A 365-Day Journaling Devotional
  • The Perfect Son
  • Crochet Stitch Dictionary: 200 Essential Stitches with Step-By-Step Photos
  • Unicorns, Dragons and More Fantasy Amigurumi: Bring 14 Magical Characters to Life!
  • Amigurumi Crochet Patterns: Baby and Animal Friends
  • Animal Friends of Pica Pau: Gather All 20 Colorful Amigurumi Animal Characters
  • Crochet For Beginners: A Complete Step By Step Guide With Picture illustrations To Learn Crocheting The Quick & Easy Way
  • Beginners Drawing Book: Learn to draw human figures (How to draw people Book 1)
Edie Eckman has her hands in many aspects of the fiber artsteaching, writing, designing and editing. Her knit and crochet designs have appeared in many magazines, yarn company publications, pattern leaflets and books. Her books include: Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs, How to Knit Socks: Three Methods Made Easy, and The Crochet Answer Book. Her newest book, Around the Corner Crochet Borders, will ...more

News & Interviews