Start by marking “A Fallow Heart (Tommy Creek, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Fallow Heart (Tommy Creek, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

A Fallow Heart

(Tommy Creek #2)

Ten years ago, an oil tycoon’s daughter and a farmer’s son shared a moment neither would ever forget. When she left town in disgrace, a piece of her stayed locked deep within his soul. And like the ground he tended, his emotions lay fallow for years.

Cooper Gerhardt’s deeply buried feelings for Jo Ellen Rawlings grew more fertile over time, just waiting for the day she wou
Kindle Edition, Second, 279 pages
Published October 7th 2015 by Linda Kage (first published December 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Fallow Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fallow Heart

Paige
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A quick and easy read. I liked the idea behind the story but didn't fully understand the characters. Parts seemed a bit far fetched and it was hard at times to see that they had a whole lot of connection. Even though I didn't really get Cooper's adoration and dedication to Jo Ellen, he was really sweet (sometimes too much so) and pretty swoony.
Nishtha
WHAT DO I THINK?

well I am not thinking ! I am on the verge of tears ! It ended !

The book was by Linda Kage so it had to be my favourite ! I was waiting for it for so long that when it came , I pounced on it !

I fell in love with Grady in the first book of the series , B.J. became one of my best girls . When I read that book , Jo Ellen and Cooper were mentioned and in some part of my brain I knew there story would be just as exciting as this one . Tomboy theme in the first book made my day and I
Chu
“Sometimes a man can be a lot like a farm. He lets his heart lay fallow for a while, and instead of his feelings dying out, they just go dormant, his emotions growing deeper and stronger as time passes. A person only needs to clear away the weeds on the surface to uncover them.”

Usually, I don't really care if a man had his heart broken. BUT - when someone as good, sweet, honest-to-goodness man like Cooper gets his heart broken, my heart gets broken too.

AND I WOULD LOVE TO HATE THE GIRL - but ho

Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
Alyson LaBarge
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary Adult Romance, especially lovers of country, Texas, Farmers/Ranchers
My Review:

A Fallow Heart grabbed my attention immediately and did not let it go, cover to cover. Of course, some of that could have to do with the fact that the setting (Texas) was one that I could totally relate to and the characters were country folk. When I saw that, I could hardly contain my excitement over getting to read it!
Before we go any further however, you need to know what the term Fallow means. (If you already do, feel free to just skip right on over this portion of my review.) Fall
Shelly
Have you ever read a story and just feel the dread in your spirit that when the story ends you’re going to still want more? That’s the way I felt when I read this story. Talk about an emotional roller coaster but I couldn’t stop turning the pages wanting the ride to go on and on.

Since they were children, farm-boy Cooper Gerhardt has always had a thing for rich girl Jo Ellen Rawlings. Ten years ago he had a single glorious moment with her but then tragedy hit and that moment went away. Cooper on
Na7asha
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started out sweet, the guy is a dream, why is she so great btw....then we move to sickeningly sweet: the guy is unreal, kinda pathetic and wrote the book on martyrdom, the girl's a dunce....ah but they get their shit together don't they?.....pahleeze....B.J....why couldn't he move on with BJ?
Tracy
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good story! LOVE Cooper! He is a down home country boy with a body that rocks and is so caring and loving! The scene when he takes his shirt off? WOW! Great read!
Nikki
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read! It was odd know that Tommy Creek #1 is actually after Tommy Creek #2.
Tiss
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from entering a contest. I always like free books.
There is alot of emotions in this book. There is the veiw point of the main boy character and the view point of the main girl character.
There is alot of emotion in this book also.

There are also two parts, ten years apart. High School and the reunion.

Cooper has loved Jo Ellen from afar for years. When he finds her drunk at a party and takes her home, he gives into temptation and kisses her, he makes her promise to break up wit
Katrina
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fallow Heart is ideal for all who enjoy a contemporary romance with the setting put forth in Texas, outback country and ranchers. The descriptions are well put forth giving the reader an ideal Texas – country feel to it. The country folk - the area and of course the hot cowboys :) lol.

The character development is flawless, with characters that are certainly not flawless in there ways. This alone is believable and very true to real life.

It’s well delivered in storyline giving the reader many
Carey Sabala
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make......I have a new book boyfriend......sorry hubby but Cooper is mine now!
So with that being stated for the world to hear, I'll go on with my review, LOL. I do confess though, I love contemporary romance but I haven't really read that many cowboy theme ones but I'm a total convert. I loved this story. It's about unrequited romance, undying love, lost loves and found again. My only complaint is that I wanted more! I wanted to know what happens to the couple. I wanted to
Casey
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

The people in this town, all the characters are just as foolish, just as mean, just as sweet and endearing as are we and our neighbors.
Would that everyone find real love and understanding like in books.
Stephanie Parent
When I read on Linda Kage's blog that A Fallow Heart was dedicated to the memory of her father, a farmer, I really wanted to read it, and I wasn't disappointed. I could see that the author really put her heart and soul into this book...I know that sounds a little corny, but in this case, I don't think there's any better way to describe it! Not only the characters, but also the small-town country setting and especially the details of farming life were conveyed with love and care and even a kind o ...more
Linz
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect! That is the best word to describe this book.

I loved it, Cooper is perfect and utterly farm boy dreamy.

This is the sequel to the trouble with tomboys - which I might add is five star too - this is the story of a broken hearted girl and the boy who has loved her his entire life. There are some ready ,moments in cooper's POV because he has had this huge crush on Jo Ellen for forever and she has never noticed him. It is so sad to hear him doubt himself and the family trauma he is dealing
Becky Condit
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reunion stories where a couple who had something going in the past separate and then get back together and realize what they’ve been missing all these years. Ms. Kage writes from her heart, and because her father spent his life farming and she herself grew up on a farm, she has a tender spot for that lifestyle and the good people who still farm.
I enjoyed this book very much and recommend it to anyone who loves a sentimental love story where there are obstacles to overcome but true love co
Amanda S.
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Cooper is too good to be true.

He's a very nice and mature at age eighteen yet even more tender years later. But somehow he's insecure too. I just wish he could man up and admit his feeling toward Jo Ellen in the first place, because we all know that Jo Ellen feel the same way. Deep down.

Another book from Linda Kage that I adored. Mostly because Linda Kage's style of writing is good and I understand it easily even though English is not my first language. Look forward to read her other books. So
Carol Kilgore
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fallow Heart by Linda Kage is a great romance novel. I loved it! One of the things I enjoyed most were the life-like and down-to-earth characters. I also liked the strong emotions they brought to the story. The author didn't shy away from showing life how it is - warts and all. Linda Kage dedicated this book to the memory of her late father. I think he must be quite a proud papa over the results of her hard work.
Sue
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the book. kind if sweet story where he loves her his whole life he can remember. broke his heart and she didn't know it. his struggling feeling beeing unwanted and loved that got me.. but he didn't dare also to tell her because their different background. he is a poor hard work farmer while she came from money for generations and the most rich in town. is his loves is good enough?

for me I rather read this book as book 1 in this series instead of as book 2.
Amy
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cooper just broke my heart in this book. His love for Jo Ellen was so deep even at eighteen. He was willing to give up everything to help her and she had no clue. And a chance encounter ten years later and Cooper finally gets the girl of his dreams. But they live to completely different lives and neither wants to ask the other to give it up.
Suzi Rea
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars; loved this story, but 4.5 because of the abrupt ending. Would have preferred to see resolution between Coop and his family. Bit unfair how they treated him.

Check out the "Trouble with Tomboys" too, about Grady and B.J., and for a peek at how Coop and Jo Ellen turned out.
Beth Thomas
Renee
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! A wonderful love story that grabbed my heart from page 1 and never let go. Still get little goosebumps just thinking about it. A must read for every lover of romance novels!
justmeri_an
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Ranny Herdiningtyas
Well, I like this book enough to finish it...

But actually I like the first one better...

Too much problem that did not click into place...
Lisa Filipe
Another winner for Linda Kage! Great characters, emotion packed romance, what i look for in a romance!
Full review coming soon!
Kayla Grotheer
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book the entire way through it!!!! The ending brought back so many memories of my grandpa Glen.
Czarina
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given this 5 stars if there was an epilogue.
Fernwehliza
Feb 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Missing Pieces
  • The Fragile Fall (Undone, #1)
  • Traitor in Her Arms (The Scarlet Chronicles, #2)
  • No Second Chances (Chances, #1)
  • The Beats in Rift (Bad Blood #1)
  • False Lines (Blurred Lines, #7)
  • Epiphany (Destined, #4)
  • Fan Girl (Los Rancheros #1)
  • Laying Down the Law (The Triple Horn Brand, #1)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • Real Earls Break the Rules (The Infamous Somertons #2)
  • When Marrying a Scoundrel (Victorian Soap Opera, #2)
  • No Other Love (Lost Heirs, #3)
  • Heartstrings (Singing to the Heart book #1)
  • Hunter
  • A Wedding in Valentine (Valentine Valley, #2.5)
  • Infinite Desire (Savannah, #4)
  • Friday Afternoon
Linda writes romance fiction from YA to adult, contemporary to fantasy. Most Kage stories lean more toward the lighter, sillier side with a couple meaningful moments thrown in. Focuses more on entertainment value and emotional impact.

Published since 2010. Went through a 2-year writing correspondence class in children’s literature from The Institute of Children’s Literature. Then graduated with Bac

Tommy Creek (2 books)
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek, #1)
“Rational was for people who didn’t have a broken heart.” 10 likes
“Jealousy is an uncontrollable emotion. It attacks all of us. As long as you don’t let it get the best of you, I’m sure you and your envy can live in harmony without anyone getting hurt. So, see? There’s no need to feel bad about it. It makes you normal. Human.” 5 likes