Start by marking “Warcraft Official Movie Novelization” as Want to Read:
Warcraft Official Movie Novelization

Warcraft Official Movie Novelization

(Warcraft: Movie Novelization #1)

The peaceful realm of Azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: Orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another. As a portal opens to connect the two worlds, one army faces destruction and the other faces extinction. From opposing sides, two heroes are set on a collision course that will decide the fate of their fam ...more
Published June 7th 2016 by Titan Books

Start your review of Warcraft Official Movie Novelization
Monika
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was able to see this movie one more time - just by reading this book. Amazing and unique experience. I absolutely loved it!
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Oh, I've been waiting for this!

I wanted to read it before the movie, but couldn't do so. And then I also failed to see the movie in time and... Some fan I am :/

Still, I've been waiting on this for almost 25 years! Some hesitation is to be expected :-)

Oh man. I was so prepared to enjoy this book to the fullest - cancelled all the meetings and told the secretary to hold all my calls!

In the real world, I got my favorite blanket, bucket of ice cream, and bunkered on the sofa :-)

Narrator? Toby Longwo
Krysztina
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is like a director's cut of the movie - but better. The actors were good, but Golden does an even better job taking us into the minds of the characters, bridging the gaps between scenes, and finding surprisingly reasonable explanations for some of the things that the movie left out. The author also does a pretty good job stating things that were only hinted at in the movie so, if you have any theories, you might see them confirmed (or not) in the book.

No matter how good a writer Golden migh
⚜️Trea
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2016
It took me a while to get this book going, but when it did, I kept having to pull myself out of World of Warcraft to read it, it inspired me to play the game that much!

There's a lot of the lore that we already know from the game woven into it, but it also picks up where Warcraft: Durotan leaves off. I found a few surprises waiting for me between these pages! Sadly, I can't say much, because it would spoil the book/movie for folks, but I can say that the characterization was very well done, and I
Courtney
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading the prequel Durotan novel by Christie Golden, I knew I would need to read the sequel - the novelization. This was an interesting novel that was split between the perspective of the orcs, and that of the humans that they come to find on a distant world. I'm not sure how much this covers the movie and vice versa as I have not seen it yet, but I enjoyed the book very much. Recommended for sure!
Dottie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love Christie Golden’s books. This book was well written. The only thing is the lore was very hard to digest so I had to keep reminding myself that this book is based off the movie and not all accurate to the original Warcraft Lore. There were times were I was like nope that didn’t happen or nope that’s not true. But overall I found the book better than the actual movie.
Karina
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am overwhelmed of how much soul is poured into this book. As an old lasting fan of world of warcraft I lived through the characters of the book through their joys and tragedies. Loved it!!
Jamie King
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
MAKE DALARAN GREAT AGAIN

A story of migration and conflict

Movie Novelization is very accurate. This following is not for people unfamiliar with the work...

I was hoping it would resemble more of the original script since it was said that script focused heavily on the human side with an unfriendly portrayal of the Orcs. While the Orc legacy is treated honorably coming off the prequel to this book which is wholly Orc focused made overloaded on the subject before I began... the introduction repeats a
monkomon
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: warcraft
Nothing special, simply a retelling of the retconned film narration. Polish translation felt a bit hopeless, but what to expect when the translator has not bothered to even play the game?
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
*This book was reviewed for the San Francisco Book Review*

Warcraft was adapted from screenplay to novel by Christie Golden. It follows Lothar as he is dealing with reports of mysterious of attacks. Khadgar, a baby mage, once destined to be Azeroth’s next Guardian, approached Lothar about other attacks bearing similar evidence of the danger and insists the the Guardian of Azeroth be summoned. Lothar takes him to King Llane. The King sends Lothar and Khadgar to Karazahn, home of the Guardian.

What
Elizabeth
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'll start by saying I haven't yet seen the movie. I'd heard enough terrible reviews to have avoided it until now, but after reading the book, I'll definitely be watching the movie! I really enjoyed the novelization. I've loved Christie Golden's previous Warcraft books, and as usual, she didn't disappoint. Her knowledge of Azaroth lore shines as usual, and her fondness for the world (and the game) is clear in everything she writes in this world.

After playing the game for a decade, I consider mys
Theresa
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
Listen, I love Warcraft books and Warcraft lore. This movie/story takes all of the known lore and twists it around for a different version of what we all love.

So naturally I spent a lot of time wondering why they had to change so much. Even still I was trying to go with the flow. A lot of story lines go into Warcraft lore so they do need to change it up for a 90 minute movie.

Still, I love Durotan with all my heart. I feel in love with Thrall/ Go'el al long time ago and now I love his Dad just as
Wanda
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Golden's novelization of the Warcraft movie was well-crafted and engaging, truly capturing the spirit of Azeroth. Draka and Durotan were both compelling and sympathetic characters whose plight moved me the most. I'm quite drawn to this lore, and am glad for Golden's vision. I felt that some of the threads woven in were neglected, such as the history between Lothar and Magni, or of the bond between Llane, Lothar, and Medivh; even though there are undoubtedly other books that cover these in more d ...more
Ebster Davis
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm going to be reviewing this book in comparison with the prequel book "Durotan" and Warcraft film, both of which I thought were excellent.

The book Durotan, which is a prequel to this story, did a magnificent job in laying the groundwork for the Orc's as a race, and Durotan and Draka as characters. You become invested in the plight of the Frostwolf clan, and you also have this incredible picture of how their brand of naturalistic Shaman-magic works within their society.

I can't say this book di
Forrest Parkyr
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though this novel follows the big screen version of this story in an exacting way, there are extra scenes scattered about to give more depth and explanation to the story.
I did notice quite a few misspellings, typos, and problematic grammar during my reading that should have been caught by the editor prior to release. For their frequency alone I took off one star. Overall this was well written, however, and I believe fans of the game and the lore behind it will truly enjoy this novelization.
Corbin
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the best novelizations. I thought the movie was good but lacking in context. This is truly an “Extended Edition” filling in the missing gaps—making what was a seemingly incomplete movie narrative into a complete one. If you liked what you saw in the movie Warcraft then I highly recommend you first read the prequel novel “Durotan” and then read this novelization. It’s a very quick read and a fun time. Highly Recommended.
Andi Dirgantara
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little bit different from WoW Lore like there's no Dark Portal on Azeroth side, Garona seems like more Orc-Human rather than Orc-Draenei, Lothar has a son (even he died in the end killed by BlackHand), etc. But I still like it, because WoW Lore itself also little bit different compared to Warcraft Lore on PC game sequels. I recommend to read this book first before watching the movie.
Donaji
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I (once again) enjoyed the book more than the movie. It is not very often that I get to read a novelization of a movie, the usual scenario is the exact opposite, but when I read Durotan I knew I had to read Warcraft. So much story is still left to be told, I need more prequels, sequels, I need more.
Lynn Mitts
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that the novel was written after the motion picture was produced, however, I will admit that I actually enjoyed both the movie and the book. There are things in the book that were not even discussed in the movie that helped make a bit more sense to things.
George
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I would recommend this book to any fan of the Warcraft world. It was a great complement to the movie.
Anne Lydolf
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice story line and decent characters. But it was missing in depth across the board. It all felt a bit shallow and rushed.
Gracko
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know how well it conveys the film but I enjoyed it a lot. The proofreader can't have gotten all the way through as the typos get worse towards the end.
Neil Farren
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this last year. Decent. I'm not a great fantasy fan (I prefer sci-fi). But whatever, not terrible.
Jan Michael
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
For me, based on my own perspective. The book entitled "Warcraft" is amazing but at the same time quite disappointing. Amazing because it makes us realize the value of trust, that it is important for us to make sure that we give our trust to the right one, that will never betray us and trustworthy, For me it's amazing simply because of the lesson i learned after i finished reading it, and now i must say that i can apply those lessons in my life too well then, for me it's also quite disappointing ...more
Sophie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For Azeroth! For Alliance! Great book. Great movie!
Dave
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review originally posted at Book of Bogan.

Oh Christie... how did it all go so wrong?

The prequel novel focusing on the story of Durotan and his Frostwolf clan was top shelf stuff, but this was just a hot mess. I'm not sure if it was the source material she had to work with, or something else has gone along the way, but the usually (by my measure) excellent Golden has produced a schemozzle of story that flip flops all over the shop.

In fairness, I haven't seen the movie, and this novel may just be
Austin Zook
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just very poorly done.

I came into this accepting and expecting changes to the existing Warcraft story, but there were so many of them and they just didn't do anything for me.

Orcs are rampaging Azeroth, and the champion of Azeroth decides to sleep with one? I thought this was ludicrous. Why would Anduin Lothar, always portrayed as valiant and fatherly in the series, start sleeping with an orc? It felt really out of character for the Lothar I've been reading about for the last decade.

And then ther
Jordan Grieve
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in like two days. Super easy and fun read. Really got me interested in the author and I checking out more Warcraft novels.
Sheacat
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I feel conflicted about this.

As a stand alone book I would have enjoyed it. Its tropey (that's a word, right?) but fun, and good for what it is. However, as a World of Warcraft player for the past ten+ years, and a lover of lore besides, it has... issues. Without going into the lore canon vs alternate timeline...stuff, I had a hard time adjusting to the characters as portrayed in this book. I have a feeling that if I were a new player, had only ever seen the movie, or didn't know/ care about th
S.S.
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I actually listened to the audiobook version of this; I thought it was good and very well-read. The story was basically the same as the recent film (with only a couple of extra scenes added), yet it went further into each character's thought processes and motives more than the film did. The film and audiobook are my only exposure to WoW, so I have no idea whether this is true to canon or not. (even if it's not, I still liked it.)

ETA: I listened to this book as an audiobook a couple of years ago,
« previous 1 3 next »

• Illidan (World of Warcraft, #14)
  • Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 3
  • A Good War (World of Warcraft #16.2)
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
  • The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years, #1)
  • Железният светилник
  • The Battle of Hackham Heath (Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years #2)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • R.U.R.
  • The Advocate
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn