Start by marking “Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-By-Step Guide” as Want to Read:
Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-By-Step Guide

Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-By-Step Guide

If You Want People to Read Your Book,
Writing It Is Only the Beginning
There has truly never been a better time to be an author. For the first time, authors have direct access to the public via the Internet and can create a community eagerly awaiting their book. But where do new authors start? How do they sort through the dizzying range of online options? Where should they
Published April 19th 2016 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published April 15th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Online Marketing for Busy Authors, please sign up.
Rosiland Miller i am interested in marketing and promoting my books.I appears there are numerous sources who are selling my books but I know nothing about being conne…morei am interested in marketing and promoting my books.I appears there are numerous sources who are selling my books but I know nothing about being connected to them in any way. Some places are making sales of my books without my even knowing about it. Yes I would like to join up with Goodreads. Could you help me?(less)

Start your review of Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-By-Step Guide
Bradley
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a much-needed primer for authors needing a kick-start on their marketing campaign.

A lot of it isn't news, but being reminded of everything that's necessary and to highlight a few steps we might be missing, it's fairly essential.

Big takeaways: Every reader, every kind of contact, needs to be earned by a real voice, a personalized message. It's unfortunate for the author who would rather spend his or her days actually writing and polishing the stories that they are so invested in, but it'
Isaac Miller
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative time

I like this book because the prose was firm but reassuring. Good book for authors, bloggers, writers, social media influencers, and organizations that sell online products.
Caitlyn Lynch
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is too expensive. Charging the same price for an ebook as a paperback is pretty damn rude anyway, considering the relative production costs, and when that price is $10 you better damn well be selling THE definitive book in the genre.

I was lucky enough to pick this up for free since I review for NetGalley, and I gave it a good read through before looking it up on Amazon to grab the image and link for this review, which is when I nearly died of shock at the price.

What I planned to say abou
Anna Schwartz
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone wanting to do their own marketing! Fauzia Burke offers a practical step-by-step approach to branding and developing a personalized online marketing strategy for authors. The book has a friendly conversational tone that makes you feel like Fauzia is talking to you. Her advice is clear and specific with detailed practical guidance to get noticed on Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets. Worksheets are provided to help you get focused and clear on your messaging to ...more
Melissa Lenhardt
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick, easy read with lots of great information.
Catherine Girard-Veilleux
*I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The book Online Marketing for Busy Authors by Fauzia Burke, a leader in online book marketing and consultant for authors, explores essential aspects of marketing such as personal branding, reader profiles, goals, and much more. It offers a plethora of resources, exercises and integrated worksheets.

Fauzia Burke really does the job she set out to do in this short yet immensely helpful book. Since there are several
David Wogahn
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With all the book marketing books available—many at lower prices—I had second thoughts about buying this one*. Also, looking at the author’s bio made me wonder (as a self-published writer) whether her advice would be relevant to me.

All I can say is you won’t be disappointed.

First, no matter the stage of your author marketing efforts chances are that you are overwhelmed by the range of advice you have read, some of it contradictory. This book is from a true pioneer in the business of helping auth
Rachael McDiarmid
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently bought a copy of Online Marketing for Busy Authors: a step-by-step guide (Australian & New Zealand edition) from Major Street Publishing. The book is written by Fauzia Burke, the founder and president of FSB Associates, and while her name didn't ring any bells with me whatsoever, I was interested to see what was put forward in this ANZ edition.

I've met thousands of authors over the 27 years I've been in the publishing industry and many of them are lucky to be published by some of the
Jacqui
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I met Fauzia Burke when she was presenting at a San Diego writers conference and came away with no doubt she knew her stuff. I wasn't surprised she has marketed books for some of my favorite authors (Jeffrey Archer, Dean Koontz, and Daniel Silva to name a few). When her how-to book, Online Marketing for Busy Authors (Berrett-Koehler Publishers 2016) became available on NetGalley, I grabbed it.

Based on what I'd seen at her presentation, I expected expert advice that would kickstart the online mar
Eustacia Tan
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I requested this book because it's a topic that I'm very interested in. How can I, as a full-time student who also happens to be job hunting, do online marketing without burning out?

The book is basically divided into three sections:

1. Know yourself
2. Know your audience
3. Ways to reach the audience

Or at least, that's how I see it. The book itself says that it's divided into three phases:

1. Getting Organised
2. Turning your thinking into action
3. Staying the course.

Either way, it's the same thing.

W
Beverly
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This small book is packed with tips, advice, suggestions and literal steps to plan and implement a marketing plan for authors who know little or even hate marketing. Fauzia Burke takes your hand and guides you step by step. She begins with your dreams, helps you establish your priorities, tells you how to implement and closes with the importance of on-going sales monitoring of your published book. She gives helpful tips and advice to implement an online marketing plan including a website, mailin ...more
Emilio III
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
First a couple of disclaimers. I read an ARC copy of this book on my Kindle. The ARC version I read was a PDF that did not have any Kindle functionality. Lastly, I am more experienced with online marketing than the average reader of a book like this.

If you are a novice in online marketing, then this book is a must. You will learn the basics of what steps an author should take to promote their books online. If you already have a website and social media profiles, then this book will most likely
Camille
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book really delivers what it says on the tin (or the front cover). Fauzia Burke explains why authors nowadays need online marketing and how to do it. The writing is very easy to read yet full of information. She also provides exercises to help you focus on what you really want as an author and how to achieve it through online marketing, as well as lists of social media that can be used and how to use them. The whole book is very thorough with a wealth of information.

A must-read for authors,
Literary Soirée
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ONLINE MARKETING FOR BUSY AUTHORS is a terrific guide with brilliant step-by-step instruction for getting your work OUT THERE! Fauzia Burke, a digital book marketing guru and pioneer, shares the 411 on:

-Personal Branding
-Audience
-Dreams and Goals
-Website Design
-Mailing Lists
-Blogging
-Engagement Strategies

She takes online marketers from beginner to confident strategist, showing where to start, where to spend one’s precious time, and how to pull it all together with finesse, with ever helpful work
Kate Ellis
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a new Author I am keen to learn from those with experience of marketing , and especially marketing of books.
Marketing for Busy Authors does exactly what it intends to - provides guidance and also reassurance.
Read as a whole and then looked back on it is a valuable resource which I am to revisit again.
Fauzia Burke is clearly thorough, and at the same time humble enough to recognise that such a book is only as up todate as on the day it is written. So, she directs the Reader to her website wher
Alicia Bayer
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is packed with great information for authors who are looking to build their online presence and boost their brand. There's lots of really great advice, with the biggest takeaway being to really engage with your audience and be authentic. Offer lots to your audience (quotes, lists from your books, links about other authors providing great stuff, etc.), be active in social media, and so on. There are lots of fill in the blank sections to brainstorm your marketing and such, though this ma ...more
Lauren James
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great guide for digital marketing of any sort - not just for authors. I did know a lot of this already, but the focus on mailing lists surprised me. I'm going to have to up my game in this department!

I liked that the author didn't focus too much on specific sites and approaches, as this could date the book far too quickly. Instead it was a long term guide that will remain applicable in the future.

I would recommend signing up on the author's website to her 'updates' newsletter, where she talks
Kathy
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would suggest this book for a brand new author who has no idea where to start when it comes to marketing their book. A more advance author will likely already be doing most of the things suggested in this book. If you need suggestions on how to grow your social media presence, building a mailing list or approaching blogger this book has ideas that are useful.

Source: Review copy
Crystal King
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book for authors who need to understand the world that online marketing can bring to them. Useful for both traditional and indie published authors, Burke breaks online marketing down to the very basics and makes a subject that is often daunting for some into something that seems possible for anyone to pick up.
Brit
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Gold nuggets galore. This book is THE handbook for any aspiring author just thinking about or just getting into self-publishing their manuscript. Lots of foundational basics and industry insights that any author could benefit from.
Alisha Solan
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book honors the promise of its title. In clear and concise prose, Fauzia Burke distills her 20 years of experience marketing authors online to accessible steps that even the uninitiated can use.
Charles Franklin
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Decent book to help beginning authors know where to start. Needs more detail for more experienced authors
John
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of online marketing for authors. The step-by-step guides helps you define priorities, create a plan, and focus on what's important.
Sydney Young
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, reference
Excellent and digestible. Good fodder for today’s author marketing plan.
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a fine jumping off spot not only for authors but also for anyone needing to build an online presence. It covers all the basics and gives explanations for why and how things matter. The additional resources are helpful.

Written in a clear manner the book assists even the most inexperienced author or marketer a plan to follow to begin building a personal brand and engaging a local community.
Latasha
I'm kinda shocked by how useful this book was. I picked it up just to see if there was anything I was missing in my freelance content marketing process and ended up taking a ton of notes. If you're writing nonfiction or even starting a blog, I think this is a highly useful book to pick up. It can definitely be used for novels and fiction, but I felt that the process and level of content Burke recommends is more for nonfiction. Also just great advice for anyone trying to build a brand (so importa ...more
Don Kennedy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The reason this book is so good is because it's a "to do" book, when completed you have a usable plan. I used the idea of it's template to teach new physician leaders how to create and present their own Transformational Physician Brand Statement. Read it first then go back and complete the blanks.
janne Boswell
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I am a book blogger and I am always looking for practical-useful guides on writing and marketing. I have always had difficulty thinking in marketing and promotional terms. Ms. Burke offers tips, advice and suggestions on ways you can implement a successful marketing plan.
I particularly enjoyed the chapters, "Promote without being Promotional" specifically, "How people perceive you online can be very important in your branding." So true! She offers a well rounded- guided tour through t
Bianca Smith
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have one complaint about Online Marketing for Busy Authors by Fauzia Burke. That it’s targeted perfectly for authors.

This is one useful marketing book. Replace the word author with your profession and this book will talk you through online marketing. It was a random grab on NetGalley (thanks for the complimentary copy) and I had low expectations. It came at a perfect time to remind me how much fun it is running campaigns for a product you believe in. Yes, there’s a larger story to that last bi
Margo Kelly
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book for authors interested in utilizing online resources for promoting their writings. While the content tends to be aimed at an Internet novice, more experienced authors can use the tools offered by Burke to reevaluate their current online marketing efforts.

Burke asks, “How do you prevent your brand from getting lost in all the social media noise? The answer: Be uniquely you. Aim for authenticity” (page 9). Sounds simple. Right? But how exactly do you accomplish that? Burke
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
  • Something to Say
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • Build Your Author Platform: The New Rules: A Literary Agent's Guide to Growing Your Audience in 14 Steps
  • Crushing: It's Not the End!
  • 27 Essential Principles of Story: Master the Secrets of Great Storytelling, from Shakespeare to South Park
  • Rodham
  • A Partial Sun (The Tinsmith's Apprentice #1)
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Elements of Fiction
  • Recollections of My Nonexistence: A Memoir
  • Botanical Art Techniques: A Comprehensive Guide to Watercolor, Graphite, Colored Pencil, Vellum, Pen and Ink, Egg Tempera, Oils, Printmaking, and More
  • Changer l'eau des fleurs