Start by marking “Once Beloved” as Want to Read:
Once Beloved

Once Beloved

In bustling Victorian London, a desperate woman turns to the last man who would ever want to come to her aid...

Years ago, when Helena Martin escaped to London with a dashing captain, she had no idea she was endangering her entire village. Little did she know, the arranged match she fled was the little town's last chance at prosperity. Now, with her beloved grandmother's he
Published November 10th 2015 by Lyrical Press, Inc

To ask other readers questions about Once Beloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Beloved

Kay (aka) Miss Bates
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
ONCE BELOVED had much going for it. I loved the writing; it was delicate, distinguished, and a pleasure to read. I do admit, however, that I couldn't fully embrace the hero and heroine. They're difficult people and their characterization distancing. But I loved the very mood of it: the sheep-herding scenes are magnificent, which sounds silly, but they're really really good. The historical context, 1851, the cusp of industrialization being the end-all-and-be-all is beautifully rendered. The enemi ...more
Tracey
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first I have read anything by this author. Let me say WOW! I was hooked from beginning to end. Amara Royce's writing is like being on the ocean during and after a storm. Exhilarating, turbulent, and then calm and beautiful. She is a wonderful new author I just discovered who I can't wait to see what she writes next. I received a Arc of this book from Net Galley for an honest review.
Janine Ballard
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases

Once Beloved is the story of Helena Martin, a widow with three sons. Helena’s age isn’t given, but it’s been twenty years since she and her late husband married, so she is at least in her upper thirties, which is refreshing.

As the novel opens, Helena’s oldest, Bart, is away, serving in the navy, but her two younger sons, teenaged Mark and the much younger Tommy, along with Helena’s two friends, Marissa and Honoria, accompany her to the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace.

The excursio
Elizabeth
The book is based on the expectations that are placed on a woman and what can happen when she fails. The heroine Helena was supposed to marry a neighboring landowner, but instead elopes with a business man traveling through her town. The marriage is happy but he’s killed in a freak accident. She’s required to travel back to her home village where she fears, with good reason, that she’ll be rejected.

Did her elopement really doom the village? We’ll never know, but there’s plenty of questions rais
Synergy Quest
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a lovely historical romance about finding love in the most unexpected place. Helena and Daniel seemed perfectly matched, even in their dislike for one another. Yet, there is much for this couple to overcome before they can find their HEA. The most challenging hurdles are the misunderstandings, false blame and emotions that have had 20 years to fester.

In the end you find a couple who has learned to share hope, pleasure and second chances in order to finally claim a love they neve
Susan
The whole premise of the plot, that a town holds a grudge for a long, long time against a woman for not marrying a man she didn't want to and therefore "destroying the town", is ludicrous. Even if you can believe that the townspeople and hero really believe this, you are also supposed to believe that this is right and proper and that the heroine should actually feel bad about this. The whole book, you just want her to yell at everyone to shove it but instead she actually buys into it.
Amanda
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
A captivating & lovely historical romance about finding love in the most unexpected place- and with the most unexpected people. Delightful story, enticing characters, delightful setting. Highly recommended to lovers of historical romances. I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review from Netgalley.
kathy kemmerer
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

I have read all of Amara Royce and they are very heartfelt. Helena ran away to get married and the whole town feels all the problems they have are her fault. Daniel is the younger brother that she jilted and is very bitter. They have alot of baggage, but they get thru it find happiness.
Chasia Lloyd
Super intriguing premise, and everything flowed nicely, but I just couldn't really get attached to any of the characters. I think I'd like to read more from this author.

***e-ARC provided by NetGalley***
Kathy
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I was lucky enough to win the Goodreads Giveaway of "Once Beloved." This book blended hope, second chances and romance into a story that will move you. Helena was an admirable heroine. Her growing courage kept me tuning the pages. "All will be well."
Now I want to read Royce's "Never Too Late."
Zan Marie Steadham
Another member of the Needlework for the Needy has found a chance for love--but only if she faces her anxieties and returns to her hometown.
Mary Stockwell
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet romance

This is a story about a woman who follows her heart at great expense and also true happiness. Later tragedy and an unexpected meeting leads her back home.
Julliana
Jun 30, 2016
Zara West
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
She's a widow who eloped years ago. He's the brother of the man she'd been expected to marry. When they accidentally meet years later, they are shocked at the attraction and hate they feel for each other. Set in Victorian England, Once Beloved has a cast of well-filled out characters and a conflict-full romance. Highly recommended for readers who like realistic historicals with a HEA.
Sh
Ms. Reader
Cathy
Trica Johnson
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 08, 2015 12:40PM
Happy endings. Historical research. Put me in massive library with my laptop, and I'm in heaven.

I write historical romance set mainly in Victorian Britain. Currently, I'm focusing on the mid-nineteenth century (the 1850s), a period of social, political, industrial, technological and personal transformation.

In my other life, I'm a community college professor of English literature and composition.

A