Start by marking “Our Lady of Birth Control: A Cartoonist's Encounter with Margaret Sanger” as Want to Read:
Our Lady of Birth Control: A Cartoonist's Encounter with Margaret Sanger

Our Lady of Birth Control: A Cartoonist's Encounter with Margaret Sanger

Working class nurse. Mother of three. Labor organizer. Margaret Sanger—best known as the pioneer of birth control—was revolutionary in more ways than one. In Sabrina Jones’s graphic novel Our Lady of Birth Control, the author illustrates the incredible life of Margaret Sanger (1879-1966), framing the biography with her personal experiences of coming of age at the height of ...more
Published July 12th 2016 by Soft Skull Press (first published April 12th 2016)

Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
This was a really good introduction to Margaret Sanger's life and work to legalize contraception and reproductive education in the United States, as well as the world. Sabrina Jones includes her personal battle with reproductive rights throughout the later half of the twentieth century. The art style was meant to appear as a political cartoon but unfortunately it meant that some of the panels were hard to read. I also wish the story had focused more on some of Margaret's later in life actions, s ...more
Stewart Tame
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oddly enough, this is the second graphic novel about Margaret Sanger that I've read, Peter Bagge's Woman Rebel being the first. It might be interesting to read them back to back looking for differences in tone and emphasis.

Sanger was an important figure in the history of women's rights. She's probably best known for her advocacy of education about birth control, and her founding of the organization that became Planned Parenthood. To this day, she remains a somewhat controversial figure--it depen
Tabor
I was not a fan of the art whatsoever and felt it was a little all over the place. FYI, I am an art snob and usually when faced with an art style that I dislike I cannot focus on, or appreciate the story. This might have been the case with Jones' graphic novel, but honestly I think even the retelling of Margaret Sanger's life was a little all over the place, as well. However, I'm glad that this graphic novel introduced me to the incredible person that is Margaret Sanger.
Nicole
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is becoming increasingly important for women to fight for their access to birth control and abortions. This book will remind you why it's so important and how birth control and a womans right to choose came about. Highly recommend.
Katie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not the greatest storytelling, but Margaret Sanger's life was so interesting that it makes up for the stilted style of the story. We owe her so much. Thanks, Margaret Sanger!
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
It was so obviously biased at times that I couldn't stop cringing. Also wasn't a fan of the random sections about the author's life because it felt unnecessary and out of place in this biography.
Jen
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this or like it more. The art style was interesting, I think the way the 'story' was presented was just not for me. Skipped around in what I felt were sometimes odd places or life events, and interjected the authors experiences also. It's a very important subject and I'm glad this book is around and available.
Crystal
I knew shamefully little about Margaret Sanger prior to reading this graphic novel, so I can't comment as to the veracity of the details. I do, however, feel I learned a lot about her from this paen to her globe-trotting, rabble-rousing, sexually liberated self, as well as learning a little bit about the author of the graphic novel, Sabrina Jones. The art is pleasing to the eye, and frankly could almost work as adult coloring book. Occasionally I had difficulty tracking which character was which ...more
Geoff Sebesta
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hastily-drawn hagiography that made me like Sanger more by ham-fistedly covering up the problems with her life so badly that it actually makes her seem more like a human being. No, no one can stand up for all the things Margaret Sanger believed. She believed things by the dozens, she bought trouble in bulk, she did what she did for good reasons and bad.

The autobiographical elements of this story are even more irrelevant than usual. I mean, seriously. They just inserted their author bio into the
Emilia P
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I'm not Margaret Sanger's number one fan by any means, but this was pretty good at situating what she's best known for within the greater context of her life, her times, and the repercussions of the stuff she did. Obviously this is the author's love letter, but it defers to its source material an impressive amount. AND Sabrina Jones has progressed as both an illustrator and a storyteller since her vague and meandering Isadora Duncan cartoon bio, which made me very glad. So, interesting to read, ...more
Danielle
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic biography. The art is era-appropriate, and calls forth a sentimentality for political newspaper cartoons with their whimsy. Though a quick read this book is a brilliant and well-rounded look at Sanger’s life and the American birth control movement. The author sets Sanger’s story against her own experiences in the latter half of the century with crucial events such as Roe v Wade, the AIDs epidemic, and Sandra Fluke’s testimony. Great read, fantastic art, inspirational women.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strong biography with autobiographical elements, Jones does an excellent job of finding ways to tell Sanger's story without resorting to many, many pages of narration over still images. The framing device of the sort of fights Jones herself has gotten into fighting for access to birth control does a great job in reminding whoever reads this book that while Sanger tore down the door with her fingernails, the fight is nowhere near done.
Craig Shields
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
An illustrated, introductory look at the woman who fought radically for women's rights nearly a hundred years ago and founded the organization that became Planned Parenthood. Sanger was a true revolutionary, agitating societal moralists and defiantly breaking laws she found unjust for the sake of educating and protecting women. Birth control and abortion remain essential to women's autonomy. As ever, but especially now, we need to defend these rights.
Bonnie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much solid and unvarnished information packed into a highly accessible work. Jones avoids hagiography and demonization to paint a nuanced and admiring portrait of a truly complex, uncompromising, courageous American woman. I'm delighted to see her discovered by a new generation in this fresh format.
Lesley
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great graphic novel full of information about the birth of birth control and feminist activism in the U.S. I certainly take for granted my personal freedoms and appreciate the author showing the parallels between the different decades and the fight for women's reproductive rights. The same fight continues today.
Sheanna Morgan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this graphic novel, but found certain parts hard to follow. (Maybe it’s just me since this is the first I read of Margaret Sanger?) Overall, it was very interesting and I loved the mix of the author’s experiences as well.
Matthew Hall
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, history
Pretty interesting graphic biography of Margaret Sanger, but tries a bit too hard to cheerlead over the way in which her work was tied to racism and eugenics (especially with regards to Buck vs Bell).
Rozzinner
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an inspiring woman, who was fearless and way ahead of her time.
Mariah
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know anything about Sanger before reading this, so I found it very interesting.
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Love the art style. This would be a good introduction to Margaret Sanger's life and work for anyone unfamiliar with her, but it's a bit more basic than I was hoping for.
Shoshanna
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Soooooooooo good! A great comics history of Margaret Sanger and the birth control movement!
Amy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars. I appreciate what the author was trying to do by tying her experience to Sanger's story, but it didn't quite work. Maybe as an epilogue? Sanger is at least big enough for her own book, as Peter Bagge's treatment showed.
Molly Walker
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting and important story, but I frequently had difficulty following the flow of the artwork and lettering.
Nathalia
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice graphic biography. Art was not my favorite but the content of the story was good.
Adriana
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a great introduction to the work of Margaret Sanger but I wouldn't say it was the best execution of the information. I know that graphic novels can do this because there's such as Persepolis and Maus that tell very serious real stories in an incredible way and you feel like you just got a good history lesson. With this particular graphic novel I didn't feel that way, now I want to read an actual biography about Margaret Sanger. This left me with many questions, and opened up my curiosity ab ...more
Felicite Reads
I enjoyed the book but wasn't particularly fond of the back-and-forth between Margaret's life and the author's life. It made reading the book difficult to follow at times. I probably wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless the specifically wanted something like this.
Erin
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a decent introduction into Margaret Sanger's life and work, but it's a bit busy and difficult to read at times. It's basically a biography with political style cartooning, which isn't bad, but it sometimes makes for a tiring read.
Stacie
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good overview of life and work of Margaret Sanger. Just not my favorite graphic novel ever. The blurry newsprint style of illustrations made it hard to enjoy. Get the style choice though.
Erin
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ambitious and I liked the attempt to correlate some of the history with the author's own experience, but I thought it could've been executed better.
Jessica
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very disjointed, couldn't follow the story or the art work
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story
  • Awkward and Definition: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • Hip Hop Family Tree Book 4: 1984-1985
  • The Forest and the Trees
  • The Big Feminist BUT: Comics about Women, Men, and the IFs, ANDs & BUTs of Feminism
  • Black Metropolis: A Study of Negro Life in a Northern City
  • Threads
  • Not Funny Ha-Ha: A Handbook for Something Hard
  • Why I Killed Peter
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
  • Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)
  • Book Business: Publishing Past, Present and Future
  • The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 (A Treasury of Victorian Murder)
  • Water Baby