Start by marking “Think Simple: How Smart Leaders Defeat Complexity” as Want to Read:
Think Simple: How Smart Leaders Defeat Complexity

Think Simple: How Smart Leaders Defeat Complexity

Ken Segall, bestselling author of Insanely Simple shows how any company can leverage the power of simplicity--based on exclusive insights from business leaders around the world

In Insanely Simple, Segall showed how Steve Jobs' love of simplicity propelled Apple from near-bankruptcy to the world's most valuable company. Now he explores how other companies, in a range of
Published June 7th 2016 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Think Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Think Simple

Start your review of Think Simple: How Smart Leaders Defeat Complexity
CD
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
Full disclosure: I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.

I will start by saying that this is not necessarily a bad book, just an unnecessary one. The insights provided in the book, which may be useful to someone seeking this information, are not new insights, nor are they explored in any depth.

The author is drawing upon his experience working with Apple, and with specifically Steve Jobs, to present lessons learned in the art/craft of business leadership. He then uses other companies as examples
John
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
If there was a book that proves the adage "Keep it simple", this is it.

Ken Segall shares his diverse marketing experience with those willing to heed it on the importance of simplicity in everything (from purpose, communication, to leadership). Simplicity will leads to high chances of successes, breakthroughs, innovation, amongst other key business indicators, and Segall lewdly explains why, through his past successes, and also the interviews with fellow game changers.

Most of the book relies
Diana
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad book. I thought the concept was fascinating, and the examples given were quite diverse. While it did start to sound like a commercial for Apple on quite a few occasions (especially at the beginning...seriously, I got to the point where I wanted to scream every time I saw Steve Jobs mentioned...), there were enough companies introduced that eventually a more complete picture started to form. Unfortunately, the book ended up being rather repetitive and even a tad rambling at ...more
Rafa Willisch
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Probably there wasn't enough material about simplicity to fill the number of pages required by the publisher so they decided to add names (mainly Steve Jobs) to probe the point. Many of the examples of success mentioned in the book are related to simplification, but that is pure semantics as in many of those cases simplification was really down sizing not to make simpler but too make smaller and profitable.
Martin Lutonsky
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knížka mě donutila opět se zamyslet nad tím, co je pro nás ve firmách vážně důležité. Navíc mi nahrála několik dobrých nápadů, které stojí za to dál ve firmě rozvádět. Princip jednoduchosti je skvělý, tak nějak ve mě dříme celou dobu a já vím, že to je ta cesta, která mě vždycky lákala. Jak jednoduše komunikovat a sdělovat to důležité. V této knize pro tuto cestu najdete skvělou inspiraci v příkladech z praxe.
Karen ⊰✿
Segall gives us multiple case studies through this book of businesses that are start-ups right through to very large and old Companies, and how they have to work to keep things simplified and the benefits that gives.
I found the different case studies quite interesting, and it was a nice change to have some Australian examples given too. I do agree with some other reviews that the structure of the book was not simple and could have used some work. It also felt a little heavy in the Apple/Steve
Richard
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Business & management books that are worthwhile are difficult to write. The potential pitfalls are: it's boring, it's impractical, there's minimal actionable information, or there's minimal new content or perspective. "Think Simple" avoids all of these pitfalls IF you are among the right audience: a manager who is trying to create or improve a business process. As a reader who is not squarely in that group, I found the book to be not quite as compelling, hence the 3 stars.

Basically, Segall
Lily
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Should have been titled, My Lord and Savior is Steve Jobs. Yes, he was a visionary and an influential leader, but the book should have been written according to its title! Ironic considering that the simple guidelines were so long-winded; Segall could have written this book in a less verbose and succinct way. For anyone wanting to read this book, I suggest skipping to the summaries in the back.

Joy
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
There is some good food for thought here but overall I found it a bit repetitive and in one instance contradictory. As an actuary, I had to disagree with him about the usefulness of data. Perhaps in some sectors sales are all that matter, but in others, mine included, it's imperative to ensure those sales are profitable. If you're looking for the next great idea, this is not it. If you're looking for something to spark thoughtful discussion, this might work.
James Barr
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not much here that I have not already read. If you have never read a book on simplifying the inter workings of a business, this isn't too bad. If you especially like to read about the culture of Apple, you might like this book.
Cikko Cikko
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
good stories how successful companies make things simple (at least) in the eye of it's customers and stay focus on what matter. there is no surprising knowledge in this book as all business leader and companies always aim for simplicity, but it's quite refreshing to let you know how great leaders did it and how you should those kind of mindset.
Joe
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm definitely not the audience for this book because I'm a small business that wants to remain small, and not a big business looking to simplify.

That said, I was interested in lots of stories (which he primed in the beginning of the book) and what I got was love letter to Steve Jobs with like 5 other companies mentioned. Open to a random page and you'll probably see his name or "Apple."
Toshi
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of examples on simplicity in business process, organization, decision making, branding, etc lead to success. Simplicity is free to everybody and does not require business degree. Why we cannot do this at all?
Bryan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Interesting and useful for sure. The concept is solid and inspiring - i guess I feel it could have been told in half the time. Everything after the 4 hour mark seemed a constant repeat.

Can recommend the first half of the book ;)
Goh Jiayin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like it that there are lots of different stories on how to think simple.
Vinodh Menon
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The word 'Simplicity' is repeated 1,000 times but it drives the point home.

"Keep it simple" - Anthony Joshua

He didn't write the book by the way but that quote sums up the book perfectly.
Travis
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great stories in here and examples of others making things simple. The last chapter he spells out clearly some things to try as you want to make it simple for your company.
Guilherme Ferreira
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Wasn't expecting so many references to Apple and Steve Jobs. Besides that, you can find here some good insights about simplifying complex organisations.
Dalibor Jenik
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this one
Martin Danko
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I'm amazed but many great thought shared in this book. So... simple :)
Nanania Wangare
so useless. such shallow insights.
Frans Kamffer
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good look at how businesses should simplify and the proven results from real life businesses. What I appreciated, is that it the author has taken the time to also elaborate on unsuccessful strategies.

Solid principles but not as easy as just implementing.
Ryan
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of truth in this book - a bit too heavy with examples from Apple and Jobs - but still superbly insightful and thoughtful.
Austin White
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Goog example of other companies applying this strategy. Some repetition of points and examples
Richard Gazo
Apr 06, 2019
Eli Heart
Aug 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
  • Great at Work: How Top Performers Do Less, Work Better, and Achieve More
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Get Smart!: How to Think, Decide, Act, and Get Better Results in Everything You Do
  • The Infinite Game
  • Kuinkas tässä näin kävi? Miksi maallamme ei ollut malttia vaurastua
  • Monimuotoisuus – kertomuksia katoamisista
  • Hatsolo Elämä Breikkarin silmin
  • The Fitness Mindset: Eat for energy, Train for tension, Manage your mindset, Reap the results
  • Alys, Always
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • Digitalisaatio - Murroksen koko kuva
  • Adèlen kysymys
  • Know What You're FOR: A Growth Strategy for Work, An Even Better Strategy for Life
  • Lihan loppu
  • 1917
  • Arvon porukka : etiikka ja työyhteisö
  • Merhaba. Reportaże z tomu „Zabójca z miasta moreli” i osobisty słownik turecko-polski
“Asking teams to work for weeks or months before the decision maker gets involved is a recipe for frustration (and wasted effort).” 0 likes