Start by marking “Extras (Uglies, #4)” as Want to Read:

Extras

(Uglies #4)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  97,825 ratings  ·  5,275 reviews
Fame

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different camera
Published April 28th 2009 by Simon Pulse (first published May 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Extras, please sign up.
Lindsay Yes, the book was set in Asia (I think Japan?) about 3 years after Tally and the Diego war. I almost set it aside because I was expecting the others…moreYes, the book was set in Asia (I think Japan?) about 3 years after Tally and the Diego war. I almost set it aside because I was expecting the others in the beginning. I'm glad I kept reading because it did tie in eventually.(less)
Ju I think you could read this book on it's own. It is from a different pov than the trilogy and describes the world after what happened in the first 3…moreI think you could read this book on it's own. It is from a different pov than the trilogy and describes the world after what happened in the first 3 books. It is set in a different city with new technologies and the main character doesn't really know what happened in the first 3 books.(less)

·  97,825 ratings  ·  5,275 reviews

Miranda Reads
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Authors, take note. This is how a companion novel is done!
You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.
Aya Fuse is just fifteen-years-old but already, the world has radically changed since Tally Youngblood freed everyone.

Just a few years ago, it was standard for all kids (16 and up) to get the Pretty surgery - where their faces and bodies were altered to be statistically perfect.

Only, there was a dark side to this surge.

The doctors would also implant a few lesions in choice spots of the
Abby
Jan 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, dystopia, teen
Like the other books in the Uglies trilogy, Extras is fun and a very fast read. I read this book in about 2 and 1/2 hours, pretty much non-stop.

However, Extras raised the same prickly issues for me that the other books in the series did. My years as a student steeped in cultural studies and gender theory make it pretty much impossible for me to read works of popular fiction without subjecting them to critical analysis, and Westerfeld's books certainly lend themselves to this sort of critique. E
Christina
I really struggled to finish this book, and I thought it was significantly worse than the others in the series. A lot of the dialogue was agonizingly stilted. The characters actually said things like "Not good!" and "uh, oh!" to react to approaching falling objects and other imminent bumps-on-the-head. AAAAAARGH. Those lines drive me crazy enough in movies. I was horrified to find them in a book.
At one point, characters from two different countries meet and have some communication difficulties.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Ugh. Finally done.

This is how this book made me feel;

description

because it was such a disappointment.

and maybe a bit of this;

description

because it was so boring.

and also;

description

because...well, it fucking sucked.

I've noticed that I've been rating these 'Uglies' books in a pattern:

Uglies: 5 Stars
Pretties: 4 Stars
Specials: 3 Stars
Extras: 2 Stars

Too bad they don't have a fifth one. If that had sucked as bad as this one, I would have loved to give that a one star, then the pattern would be complete.
Paige
Honestly, this book was kind of a disappointment. I liked how it was all accumulated around the Japanese society, but other than that, I was expecting much more of this book. In my opinion, Aya is a very whiny, self-absorbed suck up. I don't like the way Scott Westerfeld portrays Tally in this either because he renders her as a know-it-all b word, to say the least. Which, I don't think Tally has ever been. Her character is not put to justice in this book.
Emma (Miss Print)
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Extras is the fourth book in Scott Westerfeld's critically acclaimed, New York Times bestselling series (originally it was a trilogy). The first three books Uglies, Pretties, and Specials follow Tally Youngblood, a fifteen-year-old girl living in a futuristic world so dominated by plastic surgery that anyone who looks normal is ugly. Extras is set three years after the events of the trilogy unfold, in a different city, with different main characters. The trilogy, however, sets the framework for ...more
Kelly
Jan 09, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know this book started out okay but it quickly went down hill. I was actually annoyed to see Tally in this one and her attitude. I mean this book was not about her so I don't understand why she HAD to be in it. I didn't like how she was portrayed at all. I also quickly got annoyed at Aya.

The Uglies series was my first exposure to Westerfeld and though I really liked Uglies and liked Pretties and pretty much liked Specials I gotta say i'm noticing a pattern with his characters. They all want
Christina
Finishing a series always makes me feel like I'm losing a friend. I've spent a good week or so reading these four books, absorbed in the pages and the characters and their lives, and now I just feel lonely.

Extras is set a few years after the huge finale of Specials, or the "mind-rain" as they now call it. It's also a bunch of new characters (although Tally, Shay, David and Fausto make a reappearance which I'm extremely happy about!), a new city, and a spanking new economy known as the "reputati
Bridget
I can't believe that I am finished with this series. (What to start on next, hmmm.)

This was my least favorite of the series. I really liked it for the first half. I liked Aya Fuse (cool name) and her brother, Hiro, and his friend, Ren. I liked the whole premise of popularity and fame being a commodity for living.

I can't believe that I am saying this, but I didn't really like Tally in this book! Once, she came on the scene, I thought the writing became very sloppy. The whole second half of the st
Clara
When is it ever a good idea to add a fourth installment to a trilogy?
Phoenix2
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: uglies fans
Extras is not a Tally Youngblood story, but she appears in it. It takes place in Japan, where the economy is based on popularity. Aya Fuse wants to become famous by "kicking" a story that will attract everyone's attention, just like her brother, Hiro. So she goes undercover, and she stumbles on a very "kickable" story that will make her famous but also set her in danger.
To be honest, I liked Aya better than Tally. Tally was a great heroine and one of my favs in Uglies, but in Extras she is hard
MissBecka
It's finally over!!!
I was surprised that the last book was so much better than the first three in the series.
This was largely due to a entire new cast of characters from the first 3 books and a bit of a plot change as well. The annoying language from the first 3 books is almost non existent in this one. There is new terms they use here but they seem to make more sense and are used a little more sparingly.
Aya is a slightly more likable character than Tally, but only slightly.
All in all I'm glad t
Sam
Aug 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can I give this no stars?

What was that? What was the purpose of this book? Ugh. I kind if hated Aya. She was whiny and no matter what situation came up, no matter how dire, ALL SHE CARED ABOUT WAS IF HER CAMERA WAS CATCHING IT. All she cared about was being a kicker. And what happened to Tally? She just seemed really annoyed the whole time, and not anything like her previous self. The plot, I felt, was also pretty loose. It's just about a fame obsessed girl who finds out about these "freaks" th
Jul 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, Scott. I'm gonna have to throw in the towel this time. I just give up. I loved all of your other books (Peeps, Uglies, Pretties, Specials, the Midnighters series) but I just can't, and I mean CAN'T, understand how this book wormed its way into existence.

Why, Scott? Why?

Why make such a despicable protagonist? You know, I actually felt antagonistic towards Aya, so I don't think the term "protagonist" even applies. I tried to love her, and try I did. But try as I might, I JUST HATED HER GUTS
Mery
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I am just going to pretend that this book doesn't exist! ALIENS????? ALIENS??????? ALIENS?????????? That's a cruel joke. I got so pissed I erased it off my Kindle.It's one of the few books I have abandoned in my life but it was spoiling the thrill and excitement that had built up in me. It's such a disappointing ending to the Uglies series - as if a completely different person came up with it. Even the writing is not at paar with the previous books. The action is abrupt. At one moment the charac ...more
Trin
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, american-lit
The fourth, surprise volume in the Uglies no-longer-a-trilogy. I liked this way more than Specials, the last book in the series (which I actually kind of hated). This novel doesn't center around Tally, the protagonist of the previous three books, but around a new character, Aya Fuse, who's growing up in a post-Pretties world. The Important Teen Topic Westerfeld is tackling this time is fame, not beauty, as following Tally's act of liberation, the world has evolved into one where wealth and soc ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
Although this wasn't as good as the other books, I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed when it wasn't about Tally Youngblood, but it was a really interesting adventure and I am glad that she showed up later.
Aya was a bit annoying, how she was obsessed with fame and all. But in the end, I ended up liking her. I thought Frizz was really sweet, Hiro is a jerk, and Ren is a pretty nice character.
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
So,

*******Spoilers ahead******although not many since I don't feel like writing much about this fuckery*******

Welcome to the world of Aya Tally 2.0. Aya has one focus in life which is to become famous. In the new post-Tally world (of Japan), the goal is to become as noticed as you can. Think of it as YouTubers being ranked according to how many hits they get. The higher the hits, the more famous you are. Fame gets you out of being any type of normal productive member of society. You just run aro
Cora Tea Party Princess
Listened to series via audio, series review to come.
Izlinda
Cathy
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this is the very LAST book I am going to read by Scott Westerfeld! I love his dystopic world in the future with all the imaginative people and ways to be. His mysteries and conflicts which send the protagonists, whether they are uglies, pretties, specials, or extras, are quite exciting and keep you reading to see the solution. But the last two books, Specials and Extras, have now put him into the writing genre of Eco-Novelist. His message of it would be better to change your body to a zero ...more
Lauren
DNF at page 3
I read three pages and realized this is a waste of my time. I have no interest in the series and i can't remember anything from it so what's the point of trying to read this. Not going to waste my time reading this if I'm not interested in it.

PRE REVIEW

I read the original series almost three years ago and never got to this. I thought I might as well read it now even though i remember nothing. at least its a different plot and characters.
Peter Meredith
Despite that Extras was written for an audience of teenage girls I rather enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read that kept me interested as it moved splendidly along...until we came nigh of its conclusion and then the floor sort of just dropped out of the story.
*Here there be spoilers*
The story revolves around Aya Fuse, who at the tender age of fifteen is desperate for attention--fame being the only way to become rich in the city of the future's "Reputation Economy."
You heard that right.
I know
Jess
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm so proud of you, Scott. You seem to have finally caught on. After three whole books of what was more or less trial and error, you've produced an engaging plot in a style that doesn't read like a piece of GCSE coursework!

I'm pleasantly surprised; it looks like my investment in this series did eventually pay off. Extras is a decent add-on to a trilogy which I didn't think was really going anywhere.

Westerfeld has generated another really interesting dystopian reality. The concept is very sepa
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
Once you told yourself a story enough times, it was so easy to keep on believing it.

Wow, this was kind of a big disappointment.

Honestly, the first half before Tally showed up was way better. Speshul Tally was Extra Speshul Tally sometimes and it really dragged down the story with her angry sanctimoniousness. Aya, besides that, was quite annoying most of the time, and I feel like very few people actually learned any real lessons and changed in any real, deep way; other than being perhaps a bit le
Darbus
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Cara
Oct 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Colleen Houck
I think this novel was so creative. The constant monitoring of your stats reminds me of all the stuff I do with Facebook and Twitter and blogging. It's easy to see how this could happen in the future. What a strange world.
Caryn
There is an interesting arc to my appreciation of Extras.

I wasn't so sure at first. The girl on the front is obviously not Tally Youngblood, and so I was rather nervous about starting a Westerfeld book that wasn't about Tally Youngblood. But start it I did, and for the first half or so I was in young adult fiction bliss.

Extras does it all right when it comes to futuristic fiction with a bit of a social commentary. Insert Aya Fuse, a fifteen-year-old in post-mind-rain (see Specials) Japan, where
Carrie
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a crazy odd twist to the government and how it's controlling us! Loved it!

You know... I felt like Scott Westerfeld just wrote this one for the fans and that he was really finished when he did the third book. Still great though.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Speak
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Bar Code Rebellion (Bar Code, #2)
  • Turnabout
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Zenith (Exodus, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3)
  • Storm Thief
  • Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • The Other Side of the Island
  • The Diary of Pelly D
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best known for the Uglies and Leviathan series. His next book, IMPOSTORS, returns to the world of Uglies. It comes out September 11, 2018.

Uglies (4 books)