Start by marking “Bending the Landscape: Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Bending the Landscape: Fantasy

Bending the Landscape: Fantasy (The World of Riverside #2.9)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In the groundbreaking anthology, queer writers write fantasy for the first time, and genre writers explore queer characters. But don't expect the usual fantasy backdrops-these stories will give you a frisson, a thrill, as they fizz off the page. They are extraordinary characters living outside the bounds of reality. But you will recognize them... It's about being gay, bein ...more
Published July 27th 2004 by Overlook Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bending the Landscape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bending the Landscape

JoyfulK
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-characters
Extranormal?

Recently I’ve been privileged to encounter some excellent tales about LGBTIQQ* characters. That is, the tales were excellent. In some cases, the authors’ notes gave me pause. One of these is Bending the Landscape: Fantasy, edited by Nicola Griffith and Stephen Pagel. The stories themselves are delightful. Many of them exercise that privilege of fantasy that is most welcome to me as a queer reader: the existence of a queer character is not the unusual part.

Sadly, the editors undo that
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid anthology. No total clunkers, but not too many stunners either. Just a lot of solid stories. I'm curious to read the science fiction collection to see if I like it better. I really enjoyed the first seven stories, as well as the Leslie What and BJ Thrower pieces. After that it blurred together a bit. I'm happy that this series exists, though.
Nathan Burgoine
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, glbt
Having read the Horror and the Science Fiction books in this series of short stories with a gender/gay/lesbian/bisexual bend, when Mr. Dude said he had a copy of the out-of-print fantasy volume in the series, I begged, pleaded, and nuzzled neck. The result: I got to enjoy this selection of short stories.

Not surprising to those of you who know me well, the Science Fiction selection is still my favourite, but this one certainly was more enjoyable to me than the Horror issue. Granted, I have a low
Roberta
I liked every story in this anthology.
Melinda
This was a fun anthology overall. My favorite stories were Frost Painting, Gary in the Shadows, Water Snakes, Cloudmaker, Magicked Tricks, Sound of Angels, The Home Town Boy There Are Things Which Are Hidden from the Eyes of the Everyday and the Young Lady Who Loved Catepillars. These short stories had elements that I really loved or connected with. This anthology didn't blow my mind. The short stories listed above were the ones that made an impact on me in some way. Some of the stories had a un ...more
Etienne
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
When I was a teenager I used to drive to a libraries that belonged to my co-op, (meaning I could use my small town library card to check titles out) where no one knew me. Once there I would check out as many LGBT titles as I could get, and this title was one of them.

I can't say all the stories are good, but some of them are, and some of them are even great. For my 17 year old closeted queer self, finding this book was like finding a slice of heaven.
Mills College Library
Fiction B4588 v.3
Janice
Aug 23, 2008
Jonna Higgins-Freese
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
There were some real gems, and some authors whose work I will now seek out.
Avivs
Jan 22, 2016
Mary Griggs
Aug 28, 2007
Andy
May 13, 2008
Dominick Cancilla
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marie
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Steam-Powered:  Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • Relative Magic
  • Freedom's Gate (The Dead Rivers Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadowdance
  • Close to Spider Man
  • Dangerous Space
  • Baby Remember My Name: An Anthology of New Queer Girl Writing
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • Tangle
  • The Ant King: And Other Stories
  • Future Lovecraft
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • Hopeful Monsters
Nicola Griffith has won the Washington State Book Award, the Nebula Award, the James Tiptree, Jr. Memorial Award, the World Fantasy Award, Premio Italia, and six Lambda Literary Awards. She is also the co-editor of the Bending the Landscape series of anthologies. Her newest novel is Hild. She lives in Seattle with her wife, writer Kelley Eskridge.

Series:
* Aud Torvingen
More about Nicola Griffith...

The World of Riverside (5 books)
  • Tremontaine: The Complete Season One (Tremontaine #1.1-1.13)
  • Tremontaine: The Complete Season Two (Tremontaine #2.1-2.13)
  • Swordspoint (Riverside, #1)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)