Start by marking “Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?” as Want to Read:
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?

Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?

From Eric Carle, the New York Times bestselling author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Grouchy Ladybug, comes a reassuring tale of a mother’s love for her child.

Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too? answers curious kids who wonder whether lions, bears, and monkeys have mothers, too. Bright collage illustrations and simple text reinforce the theme that everyone has a m
Published March 15th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
This is kid’s book about how every animal in the world has a mother than loves them just like every kid!

Only... not every kid has a mom? Or is able to be with their mom??

Reading this to small fry, who lives with us because he currently CAN’T live with his mom... was not fine.

He did like the picture of the author in the back.
Particularly his beard. Because “he looks like an outdoor man, Kaylin!”
Shari
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Love the Carle artwork, but mourn the missed opportunity to teach the names of young animals. It needs to be in the book text, not just the afterword.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Parents - don't do it to yourself, avoid this book if at all possible.

Mindnumbingly boring text - the same question and answer 12 times over.

The illustrations are typical Eric Carle - I'm not a fan of his illustrative style, but many other people love it.

The final page gives a list of the names of babies, parents and groups of the animals featured in the book. I remember loving these factoids when I was a child, but who can be bothered learning all the terms of venery when your an adult (the on
Victoria
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ian
4 stars for helping Ian figure out that "yes" and "no" are two different answers.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Decent use of repetition, awesome art, and a solid glossary.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The colors in this book is catching to the eye. I enjoyed reading it to my little ones when they were small. It introduces different animals and their moms. This book is written with simple loving language that is great for the little in anyone's lives.
Erin R
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is a simple book that asks readers a question every other page, following the format of the title. A different animal is substituted each time and a rhyme scheme is developed to keep the rhythm of the book flowing along. The book ends by tying the question back to the reader by saying “YES! YES! Of course they do. Animal mothers love their babies just as yours loves you”. This predictable format is what makes this a picture book and it is very easy for small children to follow along.

This bo
Kat
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, picture-books
Basic Plot: Question and response for small children.

My 18-month old son LOVES this book. The repetition gets old kinda quick for adults, but toddlers love it, and that's enough for me to continue to read it to him and not hide it behind the bookshelf. Nodding "yes" was one of the first responses my son learned to give, and he was really excited that he knew what was coming in the book- he could nod that yes, whatever animal does have a mother, too. He would get very excited about that. I also l
Robin
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart
MART - interesting experience, with my 1st grade reader. Since I don't read Spanish, I told him we'd have to make up a story to go along with the pictures. He liked the animals that seem the strongest and most fierce. Making up a story with him was fun. We alternated pages. (He didn't believe it was about mother animals - even when I showed him the recognizable words.)
Bea  Charmed
A little too long, it has nice pictures and introduces children to the concept that animals are part of families too.
Cathy
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Toddlers love it. Parents hate it. :)
Sue Winson
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reading this book verbatim is a pain. The texts are repetitive “does a Lion have a mother too? Yes! A Lion has a mother. Just like me and you”. “Does a giraffe have a mother too…” It gets a bit horrifyingly boring when we got to the 5th animals, and my heart sank when I realized there were still 6 more animals to go!

20-month old little-AJ didn’t seem to mind too much about the repetition (although mummy has been creating varied texts for this book just to rescue myself from boredom- “oh look! It
Cassandra Coburn
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve always revered Eric Carle’s work, and “Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?” is no exception. This story’s illustrations are especially strong, and are helpful in allowing readers the ability identify animals and their respective mothers. The book focuses on a number of creatures in a question-and-answer forms, prompting readers to consider whether those animals have a mother (and the degree to which they love and care for their young). An unnamed narrator prompts these questions, as the ani ...more
Lauren Labrum
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with the question, "Does a kangaroo have a mother too?". Then, we are answered with, "Yes! A kangaroo has a mother. Just like me and you". This book goes through asking if different animals have mothers like us. There is a lion, a giraffe, a penguin, a swan, a fox, a dolphin, a sheep, a bear, an elephant, and a monkey. And guess what they all have in common?
This book was really cute and colorful. The title is what caught my eye, because my favorite animal is and always has
Mikayla Taflinger
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
This story is a repetitive story that asks is all different types of animals (kangaroo, lion, giraffe, penguin, swan, dolphin, sheep, bear, elephant, and monkey) have mothers and they answer is always "yes! Just like me and you!" at the end it asks if animal mothers love their babies and it says yes, yes they do just like your mother loves you!

Strengths: Amazing illustrations fun for beginning readers!

weakness: Very easy read only good for beginner readers

Teaching point: One thing that connects
Charles
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The answer to the title is obvious but also on the first page. Then a similar question is asked on every page with, of course, the same results. In fact, all of the animals "discussed" are mammals with the exception of two birds. Where are the insects? Where are the reptiles? Where are the fish? The mollusks? Apparently they aren't good enough to make it into this book so we'll never know if they too have mothers. Clearly some animals are indeed more equal than other animals.

At least Carle's ill
Taylor Parker
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Contemporary realistic fiction
Grade: Pre-k-1

The repetition in this book is great for young children and early readers. Young children will love answering the question on every page asking if the animals have a mother. Eric Carle shows the love between mothers and their children through animals and people in this book. On the last page of the book, it gives information about each animal. This is a great source for a discussion after reading.
Hannah Holthaus
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reads
With the repetition in this book, it would be very easy for a child to memorize the entire thing after a couple times hearing it. The only thing that they may struggle on the first couple times is what animal comes next, especially after they pick up on the pattern. These types of books give children a great deal of confidence when starting to read because they know what they are reading is correct.
Lara
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good storytime read. Not my favorite Eric Carle in terms of storyline, very very basic, but still has lovely pictures and it's a really good interactive read for a storytime. Lots of yes-no answers, and plenty of animal noises to make ('what does a mother elephant say to her baby?' Cue trunks and trumpeting). For older kids, you can teach the names of the adult and baby animals, listed in the back of the book.
Vivian
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I find that children love to be involved with stories whenever possible. When sharing this book you can invite them to guess the animal that will appear on the next page, giving clues to help. You can invite them to name the animal (without the guessing) when they see the picture. You can invite them to make the animal's sound. You can stand up and make actions that the animal might make. You can invite them to give a thumbs up as they say YES!, which is repeated with each animal.

Gina Miller
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I used this book for a baby and toddler story time. The children loved the colors at which Eric Carle is truly a master. In addition, the repetitive verse on each page made it easy for the toddlers to predict what was coming next. Since each page used the word, "Yes!", we taught the children the sign for "yes". By the end of the book, most of the little ones were moving their tiny fists up and down. This is an excellent adult/ toddler lap story.
Selina
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a book for very young children that discusses several different animal mothers and their babies. It does a good job teaching children about different kinds of animals through beautifully drawn illustrations and question-answer format in its writing. I would definitely incorporate this book into a preschool lesson plan because I really think children would enjoy talking about the different animals and their relationship with their mom.
Amanda
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-books
A classic Eric Carle book with his distinctive artwork always appeals to young kids. I would read this with 0-5 year olds. My baby liked the pictures, but it didn’t hold his interest for very long.

I wish each page was captioned with names for the baby animals to contrast with the names of the mamas in the text.
Courtney
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Books like this are so informational for children and hold such a wealth of knowledge. I really enjoy reading books, like this one and many others to my children, for if you start them young then they will grow to have a love for reading and adventure!
Casey Zarr
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Easy read with connection of animals with pictures. Reading is repetitive but Eric Carle does really well with younger readers. Throughout the book we go to different ani all to see if they have mothers.
Maliha Arman
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
This book enhances the family dynamics and establishes the love of a mother. The images in this book are just fascinating. I would use this book when talking about families as well as animals. Children can relate to this book as most children could be closest to their mothers at a young age.
Divya Gangadin
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very simple read. It is short and simple, and has great illustrations. This is a book I would use to teach children about the different types of animals. It is also a great book to remind children that just as these animals are loved, they are loved too .
Courtney
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Madeleine Voss
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children in elementary school
Shelves: eng261
This book was a read down old memory lane. I remember reading this book and learning about animals that in my everyday life don't appear. I would recommend this book to kindergarteners in learning about love that they receive from their parents.
Kristin Nelson
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very repetitive. The last page includes names of the baby animals, etc. The book was boring without that info in the text itself. I prefer when an author includes factoids in smaller print that I can choose to read or not in the course of the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
MCC Children's Li...: Childrens Books 1 1 Mar 03, 2012 01:45PM

• The Foolish Tortoise
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Come Along, Daisy!
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • Happy Birthday, Little Pookie
  • Mouse Mess
  • Down by the Station
  • Pouch!
  • Tumble Bumble
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • I Love You As Much...
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more