Start by marking “A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)

A Promise of Fire

(Kingmaker Chronicles #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  14,241 Ratings  ·  1,962 Reviews
KINGDOMS WILL RISE AND FALL FOR HER...
BUT NOT IF SHE CAN HELP IT

Catalia "Cat" Fisa lives disguised as a soothsayer in a traveling circus. She is perfectly content avoiding the danger and destiny the Gods-and her homicidal mother-have saddled her with. That is, until Griffin, an ambitious warlord from the magic-deprived south, fixes her with his steely gaze and upsets her i
Mass Market Paperback, 441 pages
Published August 2nd 2016 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about A Promise of Fire, please sign up.
Amanda I am not a fan of cliffhangers, either. While the overall story doesn't finish at the ends of books 1 or 2, I personally don't see the endings as…moreI am not a fan of cliffhangers, either. While the overall story doesn't finish at the ends of books 1 or 2, I personally don't see the endings as cliffhangers. You are definitely not left in the middle of a life or death scene! (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda Yes - The reason for his immunity is made clear in the final book of the trilogy, Heart on Fire :)

Melanie
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, this is going to be a difficult book to review. I guess I will tell you the gist of the main story, and then I will tell you why I found this book extremely problematic.

A clairvoyant named Cat, who has a very sad and mysterious past that she ran away from, who now works at a magical circus with people she considers her true family, gets kidnapped by a warlord from one of the three kingdoms.

In Thalyria there are
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️ by: Meaghan
***This book and the next in the series are only $0.62 on amazon US right now, people!***

Solid Start.

This was a great start to what I hope will be a super decent trilogy.

This is my first (I think) Amanda Bouchet and I was really impressed, actually. The world building was well done and she managed to get it done without the usual first book info dump.

I really like the female MC, Cat, although she does whine a lot and I sometimes wanted to punch her right in her cantankerous mouth. I am a sucke
Katerina
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
“Everyone's an enemy.”

Sweet and scorching romance. Greek mythology. Politics. Magic. Gods and monsters. Adventure.
Dragons.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

“There's one of you every two hundred years. Kingdoms rise and fall for you. Because of you.”

That's the burden of being a Kingmaker, the woman who divines the truth through falsehood. Cat is hiding from her family and the ones who want to use her (including aforementioned, murderous family) for years, until she crosses paths wi
Maya
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

description

Oh my god!!!! This book...this book!!! I just can't form the words to describe how amazing and fantastic this story is! I have to have the second book, Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #2), ASAP! Like, I'm in serious withdrawal and that's not good! Nope, not at all! Something like that has never ever happend before. I recently watched Jesse's vlog and I feel just like him in that video. So judging by that, there are some tough time
Stacey is Sassy
description

It seems like the Gods want Cat and Griffin to heal the world.

I’m buzzing. Yep, I found one of those books. A Promise of Fire Is the type of books where all the stars align for me. The cover caught my eye and for the first time in awhile, it wasn’t because of abs of steel, the intense eyes of a very HOT guy or an Alpha looking guy who looks tough and bossy. This cover attracted me because the heroine, cover model, looks kick-arse. I saw the cover and almost instantly had thought of a character l
Sh3llraiser

4.5 stars - One of my new favorite books!

Straight up. This one has the kidnapping trope. It's NOT epic fantasy. It's an insta hatelust turns fated to be mated romance... yeppers. As my friend, Helen, calls it: romantasy. It has magic and the Greek Olympian Gods. But, it's primarily a love story. Thankfully, I am a HUGE romantasy fan.

When reading a romance, I have different standards, I admit it. A hero can abduct a heroine and they can still fall in love. For me, that is not a deal-breaker. It
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you
NOTES FOR SAFETY GANG AT THE BOTTOM OF MY REVIEW
Safe book!
Henry Cavill as Griffin

description

Another New adult fantasy that is advertised as such! And to make it even better it's well- written and at least for this first installment is safe (MEANING: no cheating NO KISSES OR SEXUAL ACTIVITY WITH OTHER PARTNERS) Not only that, it's WELL-EDITED, (no overuse of any word here, no filler, no repetitive annoying stuff) and the EROTIC SCENES NEVER TAKE A CENTRAL PLACE, THERE'S STILL A PLOT! And that plot is perfe
Alyssa
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-releases
GIVEAWAY
Win a paperback copy of A Promise of Fire and a signed bookplate! Ends 01/25.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet
Book One of the Kingmaker Chronicles
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: August 2, 2016
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed sooth
Clara
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
** 4,5 “ONE OF MY FAVORITE FANTASY ROMANCES” stars !! **

Found this book totally by accident, but what a good surprise it turned out to be ! I loooved it, slowly savoring it bit by bit, not wanting to finish it too quickly because I was enjoying myself way too much reading this gem, but ultimately it was too addictive and such a guilty pleasure that I had to finish it, too soon for my liking, but still !!

What is this book about ?
The story is set in a fantasy world inspired by the Greek myth
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book . . . *shakes head*

I received an ARC of A PROMISE OF FIRE early in the year, and I was excited about it too, b/c fantasy romance, I love it. And it's rare. So new author, new series, hell yes, I will board that train.

Then I started reading it.

Two things:

1. First person, present tense. Which I HATE. It's my least favorite perspective to read from.

2. Poseidon. What in the Sam Hill is Poseidon doing in a fantasy world, I ask you? Hmm??

The second is admitt
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

“People talk about fight or flight? That's nonsense. It's fight and flight.”

I love fantasy romance, it always delivers such fun!

A Promise of Fire is a mythological fantasy romance about a woman who can detect lies, among other abilities. This makes Cat very valuable to the rulers of the world who want to use her for their own gain. When the brother of a Queen recognizes Cat as a Kingmaker, he and his warriors capture her to bring her to their Queen.

Griffin wants to use Cat for p
Helen 2.0
He looks at me like he might not be able to breathe without me - like maybe he wouldn't even want to.
I've known all sorts of fear - fear of pain, fear of discovery, fear of capture. This is new. This is the kind of fear that teaches me the difference between trying to stay alive, and wanting to live.

Another buddy read with the crazy MacHalo tribe.
Since lots of my buddies loved this one, here are a few romantasy books with similar premises:
Touch of Power (<--- great author)
Vengeance Born
Wa
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

I've had this ARC for more than a week now and I'm wondering why I didn't start reading it immediately! This is one of those rare gems, it's also what seems like an urban fantasy but set in a high fantasy world. I devoured this book and while the ending didn't feel like a cliff hanger, I hope there's going to be more because there's definitely room for it.

A Promise of Fire, is Cat's story she travels with a circus performing as a soothsayer. While she's very close her to her fellow performers wh
Caitlin
This is now the second time I've read this book and I love it just as much as I did the first time. It's incredible and I love it!!

4.5 STARS

"Kingdoms rise and fall for you. Because of you."

This was honestly such a random purchase but I'm so glad I picked it up! I was scrolling through my local Dymock's instagram feed and they were excited about the release of book 2 and the covers were so beautiful that I went, you know what? let's go buy book 1! Luckily this random cover buy paid off becaus
Rachel E. Carter
ABSOLUTELY LOVED. This book was everything I didn't know I wanted. If all adult fantasy was like this I would read it just as often as YA fantasy. Can't freaking wait for the sequel! And I know I said this already, but this book was like Greek mythology + The Scorpion King combined. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. And the writing style was right up my freaking alley, not pretentious or overly drawn out detail, just lots of snark and kickass fighting.
Choko
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
*** 3.33 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks!

I think this is a case of "it's not you, it's me"... I was very excited about this book, after all, look at that cover!!! And it is named similarly to many of my favorite Fantasy books. So I was all in.

It started well enough, a circus, magic-wielding beings, a sassy young woman with mysterious origin and hiding from her past ran away with the circus folks and has made them her family... Then this alpha-male Warlord snatches her for himself, suppos
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
First of all, a giant thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me this ARC for an honest review!

Seeing as most of my friends love this book, let me start off by saying I certainly had fun reading it. It was most definitely a page turner. Will I continue to book two? You bet. But I do have some problems with it that ruined my experience a bit. I'll mark the spoilers so don't worry!

The Plot

I'm not going to give a full synopsis, but essentially we follow a girl who is in hiding because o
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Nothing thrills me more than discovering a new book, author, or series that sparks a desire to plant myself on the couch and not get up ‘til I have read all there is to read. Nothing saddens me more than realizing this is book one and I’m going to have to wait for more! GAH! Okay guys, what was my blurb immediately after reading A Promise of Fire?

“Ilona Andrews just found some competition! This was fantastic!”

It’s been a week since, and after time and reflection I still one hundred percent fee
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
I loved this book's concept: hot romance, greek mythology, politics, magic, adventure, gods and monsters!
descriptiondescription

Cat is hiding from her past (which includes murderous family) until she crosses paths with a stubborn warlord who just conquered a kingdom and then kinda sorta abducts her...

description

“He’s from the south of Sinta, where muscle and cunning decide who lives or dies. Our paths would never have crossed in the past, and warlords don’t usually frequent the circus.”

Meet our two characters from different c
Jilly

So, our heroine is trying to avoid her fate and a prophecy, so she joins the circus. Until a group of guys kidnap her and tie her up in a magic rope that she can't escape from, even though she is apparently the most powerful being ever. You might even call her "special".

This comic is right, our heroine, Cat, is a big old baby. She throws temper tantrums, hits when she's angry, freaks out over everything, thinks she is the center of the universe, and even wipes her mouth and says "eww, gross" whe
Maria V. Snyder
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic!! I loved it!! A great blend of fantasy and romance and I loved all the characters. Basic plot - Griffin kidnaps Cat because she has magic and his realm is in dire need. It has a similar tone and humor of my book, Touch of Power as Griffin's "merry men" are like Kerrick's group. There's lots of action and Cat is willing to sacrifice herself for others similar to Avry. If you enjoyed Touch of Power then you'll enjoy this one as well.

I've only two very small quibbles (view
Lonna | FLYLēF
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
MUCH TO MY surprise, Amanda Bouchet’s A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles 1) was a delightful indulgence I could not put down. With a feisty heroine, Greek-infused setting, heart-pounding action, and tantalizing sexual chemistry, the pages in this series debut don’t just turn—they fly!

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is the Kingmaker, magically gifted and born once every 200 years. Yet, she has no interest in her power and would like nothing more than to go unnoticed. Narrated from Cat’s POV, her voice is
Mei
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy

WOW! What a strangely compelling book!

I’m not fan of first person POV, but here it was done really well!

The voice telling the story is Catalia "Cat" Fisa. A woman in hiding. Nobody knows who she is and what she is. Nobody knows her real name. She’s only Cat, a circus clairvoyant. But she’s much, much more!!

She’s obviously terrified by something, but she’s hiding that as well by being a angry, cranky, cantankerous and very sarcastic.

Griffin, the Beta Sinta, is a man that doesn’t accept no as an
nick
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing

After devouring nearly 450 pages of A Promise of Fire, my immediate reaction was "HOT DAMN! Give me the next book already!". Yes, folks, this book was that bloody brilliant for me. I feel like I inhaled every second of this book and there wasn't one scene that I didn't love with every fiber of my being. I knew going into A Promise of Fire that it would be a phenomenal book but I didn't realize just how much I was going to be obsessed. This is hands-down my favorite book of the year and I need m
Jen Davis
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just when I start to worry that there is nothing new and fresh on the market to wow me, along comes this really awesome fantasy romance to put my fears to rest. This book engaged me from the very beginning. It's interesting. The world building is a cool blend of Greek mythology, magic, and elements unique to the story. The main characters are solid, and best of all, I cared about them. It's got that indefinable spark that made me connect and invest in what was happening. Still not sold? Let me b ...more
Gio
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Image result for action packed gif

“Character, past, and environment all affect the choices we make. The trick is choosing a path and following it. Make a decision, and don’t turn back.”

Action Packed
Sexual Tension
Slow Burn
Sweet Healing Romance
Big Gigantic Cliffhanger

Image result for clive kiera
Nastassja
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of funny action-packed fantasy romance books

I am on express-review mode at the moment, because real life won't let me off its hook for foreseeable future, and I refuse to abandon writing reviews even if there's thunder and earthquake and flood and the end of the world, so yeah, express-review mode it is!

I had zero expectations starting A Promise of Fire, just wanted something light and funny. Luckily this book turned out what I just needed at the moment and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! I won't beat around the bush, so here ar

Dianne
She ran away to join a circus to save herself from the cruelties of the one person she should be able to run to, her mother. In a land of magic, myth and powerful gods, Cat has power, she is the legendary Kingmaker, but she hides the truth under a prickly façade, razor sharp tongue and the personal fortress she has built around herself. Captured by a powerful warlord from the not very magical southern borders of the realm, Cat fears discovery more than death. Tethered to the brute, she tries eve ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. I liked a lot of the elements to this fantasy world, but thought the main character felt like a bad actor in a low budget movie. It was just reallllly hard to get past her to the rest of the story. And most of that story was more of a will-they-won't-they scenario with the warlord who captured her, so I guess I actually wasn't too into that either.
Obsidian
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Sorry, not sorry.

But after reading to 37 percent or to chapter 12 I had enough. There was still too much not explained and I didn't give one whoot about the main character Cat. The world building was a mess and the flow from chapter to chapter was off. I have no idea what is going on and I don't care. And guess what, it's not romantic to keep a woman tied up and then have the woman somehow falling for the guy whose doing it.

The book begins with “Cat” Catalia Fisa who is hiding out in at traveli
  • Flight from Mayhem (Fly by Night, #2)
  • Can't Hold Back (Returning Home, #2)
  • Trouble Me (The Rosewood Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
  • From This Moment On (Alaskan Nights # 2.5)
  • Wicked Ever After (Blud, #4)
  • Her Rogue Alpha (X-Ops #5)
  • Once a SEAL (West Coast Navy SEALs, #2)
  • Return of the Bad Boy (Second Chance, #4)
  • Black Widow Demon (Demon Outlaws, #2)
  • The Pages of the Mind (The Uncharted Realms #1)
  • Tamed (Fit Trilogy #2)
  • Blamed (Blood Money #1)
  • White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2)
  • The Sight (Devil's Isle, #2)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Ride Baby Ride (Thompson & Sons #1; Rocky Mountain House #7)
  • Made For Sin
Amanda Bouchet grew up in New England where she spent much of her time tromping around in the woods and making up grand adventures in her head. It was inevitable that one day she would start writing them down. Drawing on her Greek heritage for the setting and on her love of all things daring and romantic for the rest, her debut trilogy, The Kingmaker Chronicles, took form. She writes what she love ...more

Kingmaker Chronicles (3 books)
  • Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #2)
  • Heart on Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #3)
“Now that that's settled, you're coming with me."

"Never in a billion suns. Not even if Zeus showed up as a swan and tried to peck me in your direction. I wouldn't go with you even if my other option was Hades dragging me to the Underworld for an eternal threesome with Persephone.”
39 likes